Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Veganuary 2020 12:16 - Jan 4 with 19495 viewsJ2BLUE

Lets try and keep this civil people. The meat eaters versus vegans thing has been done to death. Most of the board have nothing new to add. If you feel compelled to reply telling us how you're knee deep in chicken wings that is entirely your choice.

Anyone doing it? Just tried the new Costa vegan 'cheese' and 'ham' toastie. I hope they keep it. It's good enough to for me to choose regularly.

Any decent product suggestions? Recipe ideas? etc
[Post edited 5 Jan 2020 13:41]

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Veganuary 2019 on 14:14 - Jan 6 with 1525 viewsitfcjoe

Veganuary 2019 on 13:59 - Jan 6 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I see it as a big effort because it’s quite clearly a big effort that would require significant lifestyle changes, as repeatedly illustrated

Whether or not I want to do it is irrelevant - that just determines whether it’s a big effort I’m willing to make or not

I'm with you - it clearly is.

Be interested to hear feedback from anyone who has managed to do it with a family and young kids - not that I want to anyway personally.

Still from my first post in this thread, it amazes me that this has become a thing - it's such a big effort for a month to go into it hard, I wonder if it ends up putting more people off it as a long term thing

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Veganuary 2019 on 14:15 - Jan 6 with 1511 viewsHerbivore

Veganuary 2019 on 14:08 - Jan 6 by Ryorry

I get that, but they could easily have managed it much better by simply asking people to complete an order form, and then fulfilling those in date order.

Looked at 'I am nut OK', but unfortunately they all contain ingredients that I'm allergic to (coconut - and is lactic acid actually vegan?). There was no ingredients list for the 'fig salami' (fig are the one fruit I can eat!) so have emailed to ask them for that.

Anyway, Tyne Chease are now back in production (albeit with the notice that "Due to an issue with a piece of production equipment, any orders placed between 1st January 2020 and 5pm on the 10 January 2020 will unfortunately not be dispatched until Monday 13th January) so thanks to Newcy & yourself for the reminder to try again!

That's a shame you can't have the I Am Nut Okay cheeses. The fig salami is the one product of theirs I haven't liked to be fair. Kinda Co also do some nice stuff, maybe check them out too. Their Farmhouse variety has a nice cheddar like tang to it.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Veganuary 2019 on 14:23 - Jan 6 with 1515 viewsJ2BLUE

Veganuary 2019 on 07:03 - Jan 6 by NewcyBlue

My excuse is “I don’t want to”. Anybody that does, good luck to them.

I don’t need an excuse to eat meat. Or to not eat meat.

I am happy eating a wide variety of foods, and some days I do make vegan meals. But that’s only because I enjoy the recipes I have for them.

I still haven’t gotten round to watching Game Changers yet, I’ve read mixed things about it.

As anything, I am trying to find balance. Unfortunately I am not the most stable of people...

No one needs an excuse. If people want to eat a three bird roast with sides of potatoes roasted in goose fat and sprouts fried in butter with bacon that is entirely their business.

I haven't read the next four pages of this thread yet. Hopefully it's not vegans versus meateaters or labour versus tories...

Truly impaired.

Veganuary 2019 on 14:25 - Jan 6 with 1496 viewsHerbivore

Veganuary 2019 on 14:23 - Jan 6 by J2BLUE

No one needs an excuse. If people want to eat a three bird roast with sides of potatoes roasted in goose fat and sprouts fried in butter with bacon that is entirely their business.

I haven't read the next four pages of this thread yet. Hopefully it's not vegans versus meateaters or labour versus tories...

Probably best to give it a swerve.

Veganuary 2019 on 14:37 - Jan 6 with 1491 viewsRyorry

Veganuary 2019 on 14:15 - Jan 6 by Herbivore

That's a shame you can't have the I Am Nut Okay cheeses. The fig salami is the one product of theirs I haven't liked to be fair. Kinda Co also do some nice stuff, maybe check them out too. Their Farmhouse variety has a nice cheddar like tang to it.

Will certainly check Kinda Co stuff out too, thanks (also to eire for info) - not heard of them before.

Order now placed with Tyne Chease which should be dispatched a week today. Saw for the first time that they contain probiotics which I had to check on as I'd had a flare up since last eating their stuff - they are actually lactic acid too but derived from veg sources (producer is Quest vits) so I'll just have to try a bit & see how I get on - if worst comes to worst, there could be 3 freebies going begging on here in due course! (original, original spreading, chives).

Edit - anyone wanting to try TC for first time should be prepared for the fact that they are *very* expensive - av £7 each for a 150g round - tho I have no idea how much normal cheese is these days.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2020 14:42]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Veganuary 2019 on 14:40 - Jan 6 with 1484 viewsJ2BLUE

Veganuary 2019 on 14:25 - Jan 6 by Herbivore

Probably best to give it a swerve.

Meh it's only handbags rather than the full on debates of the past few threads.

I think some people are overestimating the difficulty of adapting recipes to make them vegan. Even producing a meal like a curry if not difficult to make one portion meat free and throw in some chickpeas etc.

If people are saying they just don't want to and want to eat meals with family then great, i'm the same. I will eat meat when it's convenient and easier to do so like eating with family. Other times I won't. It has never been easier to cut down on meat/animal products if you want to. I will never switch back from the vegan Costa toastie and the coconut milk flat white. Most of the time these days the choice is there. If you want the meat option, have it and enjoy it.

Truly impaired.

Veganuary 2019 on 15:36 - Jan 6 with 1461 viewsGaryCooper

Veganuary 2019 on 07:02 - Jan 6 by monytowbray

Facts are friends. https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/2014/7/2/5865109/study-going-vegetarian-could-c

'Don’t take me too serious, you lost a few minutes of your life writing that reply ;)'

Ditto.
Veganuary 2019 on 15:46 - Jan 6 with 1436 viewsHerbivore

Veganuary 2019 on 14:40 - Jan 6 by J2BLUE

Meh it's only handbags rather than the full on debates of the past few threads.

I think some people are overestimating the difficulty of adapting recipes to make them vegan. Even producing a meal like a curry if not difficult to make one portion meat free and throw in some chickpeas etc.

If people are saying they just don't want to and want to eat meals with family then great, i'm the same. I will eat meat when it's convenient and easier to do so like eating with family. Other times I won't. It has never been easier to cut down on meat/animal products if you want to. I will never switch back from the vegan Costa toastie and the coconut milk flat white. Most of the time these days the choice is there. If you want the meat option, have it and enjoy it.

Non-leather handbags I hope.

Login to get fewer ads

Veganuary 2019 on 17:17 - Jan 6 with 1400 viewsmonytowbray

Veganuary 2019 on 15:36 - Jan 6 by GaryCooper

'Don’t take me too serious, you lost a few minutes of your life writing that reply ;)'

Ditto.

I got whooshed hard.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Veganuary 2020 on 23:28 - Jan 6 with 1342 viewsRyorry

Thought some of you might enjoy this :)

https://allpoetry.com/The-Health-Food-Diner

The Health-Food Diner by Maya Angelou

No sprouted wheat and soya shoots
And Brussels in a cake,
Carrot straw and spinach raw,
(Today, I need a steak).

Not thick brown rice and rice pilaw
Or mushrooms creamed on toast,
Turnips mashed and parsnips hashed,
(I'm dreaming of a roast).

Health-food folks around the world
Are thinned by anxious zeal,
They look for help in seafood kelp
(I count on breaded veal).

No smoking signs, raw mustard greens,
Zucchini by the ton,
Uncooked kale and bodies frail
Are sure to make me run

to

Loins of pork and chicken thighs
And standing rib, so prime,
Pork chops brown and fresh ground round
(I crave them all the time).

Irish stews and boiled corned beef
and hot dogs by the scores,
or any place that saves a space
For smoking carnivores.

--------------------------------------------------

Veganuary 2020 on 23:42 - Jan 6 with 1332 viewsRyorry

Veganuary 2020 on 23:28 - Jan 6 by Ryorry

Thought some of you might enjoy this :)

https://allpoetry.com/The-Health-Food-Diner

The Health-Food Diner by Maya Angelou

No sprouted wheat and soya shoots
And Brussels in a cake,
Carrot straw and spinach raw,
(Today, I need a steak).

Not thick brown rice and rice pilaw
Or mushrooms creamed on toast,
Turnips mashed and parsnips hashed,
(I'm dreaming of a roast).

Health-food folks around the world
Are thinned by anxious zeal,
They look for help in seafood kelp
(I count on breaded veal).

No smoking signs, raw mustard greens,
Zucchini by the ton,
Uncooked kale and bodies frail
Are sure to make me run

to

Loins of pork and chicken thighs
And standing rib, so prime,
Pork chops brown and fresh ground round
(I crave them all the time).

Irish stews and boiled corned beef
and hot dogs by the scores,
or any place that saves a space
For smoking carnivores.

--------------------------------------------------

Oh come on Herbivore, it was offered in comic spirit!

Veganuary 2020 on 07:22 - Jan 7 with 1257 viewsHerbivore

Veganuary 2020 on 23:42 - Jan 6 by Ryorry

Oh come on Herbivore, it was offered in comic spirit!

As an ethical vegan I find it offensive and will be reporting it as a hate crime.

Veganuary 2020 on 07:44 - Jan 7 with 1254 viewschicoazul

Occasional reminder that demand for soy is destroying the rainforests, thanks.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Veganuary 2020 on 07:47 - Jan 7 with 1249 viewsDubtractor

Veganuary 2020 on 07:44 - Jan 7 by chicoazul

Occasional reminder that demand for soy is destroying the rainforests, thanks.

Occasional rebuttal that most soy is grown for animal feed.

Animals that graze on destroyed rain forest land.

I'm not even a vegan but feel that needs pointing out.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Veganuary 2020 on 08:08 - Jan 7 with 1224 viewsHerbivore

Veganuary 2020 on 07:47 - Jan 7 by Dubtractor

Indeed. Depending on which source you consult it's anywhere from 70% to over 90% of soya bean production is for animal feed. Chico is dumb as a post, sadly, so provably doesn't understand that the soya beam plantations that are destroying habitat are for the same meat industry that is also running the habitat.

Veganuary 2020 on 08:23 - Jan 7 with 1226 viewschicoazul

Veganuary 2020 on 07:47 - Jan 7 by Dubtractor

Yes I know. I have no dog in this fight, I don't care, I just thought I would point it out, along with the larger fact that is unsustainable for us all to change to a plant based diet espec here in the UK where basically all we can grow is potatoes. Imagine how much land would have to be tilled if we all moved to a plant based diet, along with all the animals that also eat plants too. We would have to kill all the other plant-based animals basically.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Veganuary 2020 on 08:25 - Jan 7 with 1224 viewsDanTheMan

Veganuary 2020 on 08:23 - Jan 7 by chicoazul

Yes I know. I have no dog in this fight, I don't care, I just thought I would point it out, along with the larger fact that is unsustainable for us all to change to a plant based diet espec here in the UK where basically all we can grow is potatoes. Imagine how much land would have to be tilled if we all moved to a plant based diet, along with all the animals that also eat plants too. We would have to kill all the other plant-based animals basically.

But animals take up way more room than plants...

It does sound like you've got a dog in this fight.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Veganuary 2020 on 08:49 - Jan 7 with 1204 viewsHerbivore

That's not true. Overall far fewer crops would be needed to directly feed humans than are required to feed animals to feed humans. This is all out there, do a bit of basic research.
[Post edited 7 Jan 2020 8:50]

Veganuary 2020 on 09:05 - Jan 7 with 1195 viewschicoazul

Veganuary 2020 on 08:25 - Jan 7 by DanTheMan

I assure you I don't! It's just a mild conversation about a minority middle-class habit. Like rugby and cocaine.

Veganuary 2020 on 10:00 - Jan 7 with 1178 viewseireblue

The UK could be food secure if it went vegan.

Was a scientific paper published on this topic.

Your “larger fact” is not a fact.
Veganuary 2020 on 10:31 - Jan 7 with 1165 viewschicoazul

Veganuary 2020 on 10:00 - Jan 7 by eireblue

Wrong.

Veganuary 2020 on 11:08 - Jan 7 with 1154 viewseireblue

Veganuary 2020 on 10:31 - Jan 7 by chicoazul

Wrong.

Which part?
Veganuary 2020 on 11:21 - Jan 7 with 1139 viewslowhouseblue

Veganuary 2020 on 10:00 - Jan 7 by eireblue

although a lot of vegans would have to change what they eat quite radically for that to be the case. (this may have been done already - I haven't read the 8 pages). it seems that lots of the current vegan fashion is led by mass produced highly processed products being pushed by supermarkets and big food companies. those products often rely on internationally traded ingredients being transported halfway round the world. so for the uk to be food secure lots of 'vegans' would need to start using local stuff and doing their own cooking.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Veganuary 2020 on 11:42 - Jan 7 with 1094 viewseireblue

Veganuary 2020 on 11:21 - Jan 7 by lowhouseblue

although a lot of vegans would have to change what they eat quite radically for that to be the case. (this may have been done already - I haven't read the 8 pages). it seems that lots of the current vegan fashion is led by mass produced highly processed products being pushed by supermarkets and big food companies. those products often rely on internationally traded ingredients being transported halfway round the world. so for the uk to be food secure lots of 'vegans' would need to start using local stuff and doing their own cooking.

Well, I can only speak about the vegans I know.

They wouldn’t have to change.

Would be interesting though to get an example ingredient list, and see which ingredients can’t be grown in the UK.

For instance quorn, is I believe a UK product. Hodemedod sell UK grown things like peas (pea protein is used a quiet a bit) and they sell UK grown quinoa, as well as the usual range of grains and lentils. There are varieties of Soyabean that can be grown in the south of the UK.

So not entirely sure that you are correct in that a lot of vegans would also have to change a lot of what they eat.

Not saying there wouldn’t be challenges and changes, but could the UK be food secure, the answer to that is a yes, if it was based on plant based diet, according to the study.
Veganuary 2020 on 11:48 - Jan 7 with 1083 viewsRyorry

Veganuary 2020 on 08:25 - Jan 7 by DanTheMan

It's not as simple as that -

http://www.fao.org/3/Y0501E/y0501e07.htm

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manure

https://manuretosavetheworld.weebly.com/the-importance-of-manure.html

Manure from animals always improves the structure, water retaining properties and fertility of soil, without the need for manufacturing chemical fertiliser on a vast scale (which itself demands massive fossil fuel use & contributes to climate change). In poorer countries it's used in many other ways incl. construction etc.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024