Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Veganuary 2020 12:16 - Jan 4 with 19512 viewsJ2BLUE

Lets try and keep this civil people. The meat eaters versus vegans thing has been done to death. Most of the board have nothing new to add. If you feel compelled to reply telling us how you're knee deep in chicken wings that is entirely your choice.

Anyone doing it? Just tried the new Costa vegan 'cheese' and 'ham' toastie. I hope they keep it. It's good enough to for me to choose regularly.

Any decent product suggestions? Recipe ideas? etc
[Post edited 5 Jan 2020 13:41]

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Veganuary 2020 on 19:37 - Jan 8 with 2613 viewsFunge

Veganuary 2020 on 09:22 - Jan 8 by artsbossbeard

I'm now pescatarian but in reality I'm a veggy really. I thought that I'd struggle to give up meat completely hence the pescatarian status, but it's been a breeze in reality.

Can't go full vegan as I love my cheese/pasta/bread too much. It's more ethical than health related reasons for me but I've no intention whatsoever to get all preachy with anyone about it. Individual choices and all that.

I've no idea what I'll eat on our lads night out to Rio's,- Ipswich's finest all you can eat meat fest at the end of January...

Happy New Year ABB.

The trick for the carnivore at Rios is always to stay away from the (very tasty) salad bar - so I suppose you can just fill up on that. It is very good, or at least was when I last went about 6 months ago.

EDIT - obviously most people in Rios will be carnivores, but you see my point.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2020 19:40]
Veganuary 2020 on 19:38 - Jan 8 with 2611 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Veganuary 2020 on 08:58 - Jan 8 by DanTheMan

I think your last sentence nails it, you can do what you can, but at some point there are some practicalities you just cannot avoid.

It's when people start saying others are hypocrites because "oh well your tyres have by-products in!" as some sort of gotcha that it must get annoying. We live in a society that relies on animal products currently so avoiding practically everything would be near impossible.

Back in the day there was an issue about camera film that the vegan police would bring to your attention.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Veganuary 2020 on 19:45 - Jan 8 with 2603 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Veganuary 2020 on 09:13 - Jan 8 by Herbivore

My partner is trying going pescetarian. I think she might end up going vegetarian eventually, though there's no pressure on her to. She mostly eats vegan with me at home and she enjoys it, but she would miss occasionally having a bit of dairy, egg and fish. Less so meat.

Is she trying to tell you something ?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Veganuary 2020 on 19:56 - Jan 8 with 2600 viewsLord_Lucan

Veganuary 2020 on 19:35 - Jan 8 by NewcyBlue

I got a properly snotty egg on some fried rice in a restaurant here.

It was superb. The white was like a gooey delicious mess.

You know what Newcs, that sounds brilliant,

There isn't much better than putting an egg on something a bit hot and then just eating the magical result...............................

and by the way I have had to edit my speeling I reckon I'm p1ssed as a c*nt

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Veganuary 2020 on 19:09 - Jan 9 with 2512 viewsmonytowbray

The Costa Toastie was nice. I liked it.

I went to try the Papa John’s jackfruit pepperoni pizza and they didn’t have any so they sent me the pizza without it. Wasn’t happy. If they’d have rang and told me in advance I’d have cancelled the order.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Veganuary 2020 on 19:28 - Jan 9 with 2497 viewsJ2BLUE

Veganuary 2020 on 19:09 - Jan 9 by monytowbray

The Costa Toastie was nice. I liked it.

I went to try the Papa John’s jackfruit pepperoni pizza and they didn’t have any so they sent me the pizza without it. Wasn’t happy. If they’d have rang and told me in advance I’d have cancelled the order.

Yea that's not good. I just had Linda McCartney sausages. They were excellent.

Really enjoying this so far. I suspect that's because of the explosion of vegan options. There's something new to try around every corner.

Oh and yes people, i'm eating a ton of veg, fruit, beans, lentils, wholegrains etc as well as a few treats.

Truly impaired.

Veganuary 2020 on 19:34 - Jan 9 with 2489 viewsPecker

Veganuary 2020 on 19:28 - Jan 9 by J2BLUE

Yea that's not good. I just had Linda McCartney sausages. They were excellent.

Really enjoying this so far. I suspect that's because of the explosion of vegan options. There's something new to try around every corner.

Oh and yes people, i'm eating a ton of veg, fruit, beans, lentils, wholegrains etc as well as a few treats.

I shall be sure not to stand anywhere near you next game.
Veganuary 2020 on 10:45 - Jan 10 with 2412 viewsNewcyBlue

How you getting on J2?

https://btn.academy/blogs/news/the-game-changers-movie-how-it-should-have-been-f

Whilst watching the Game Changers, I decided to read up on it....

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Login to get fewer ads

Veganuary 2020 on 11:29 - Jan 10 with 2382 viewsRyorry

Veganuary 2020 on 14:34 - Jan 8 by Ryorry

Interesting - I didn't see him (or any of them really) as unacceptably pushy, in fact I was surprised (but probably shouldn't have been) at how gentle & laid back he was. But they were there to sell veganism to others, and I thought they were just rather good salespeople. The keeping quiet & then reveleals about the contents of the "burgers" sold at the Merthyr football game was a brilliant idea which obviously went down well, and one middle-aged female was even "turned" by footage of "free-range" hens.

As I've said before, agree about the gradual, step by step approach.

Just to add to that, I should have mentioned that there's a 100% sure way of knowing whether the hens that lay the eggs you bought are *genuinely* free-range, ie roaming in outdoors pastures/woods, and that is the colour of the yolks. Hens that are eating any grass at all (and they will choose to do so given half a chance) will always have yolks that are a deep golden colour. If their yolks are pale, they simply do not have access to grass. I used to raise bantams, turkeys & ducks on my organic smallholding at previous house, and this was always the case without exception.

Conversely, deep-golden coloured yolks doesn't *always* mean that hens are outdoors, as some feed manufacturers (incl for organic feed) put marigold extract in it to achieve that end. However, it's quite expensive, so most don't bother. I've been very disappointed with M&S and Duchy eggs that are both supposedly "organic" but clearly are not truly so, as the yolks have always been pale yellow (tried at least 3 x half-dozens from both).

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Veganuary 2020 on 14:11 - Jan 10 with 2342 viewsmonytowbray

Veganuary 2020 on 11:29 - Jan 10 by Ryorry

Just to add to that, I should have mentioned that there's a 100% sure way of knowing whether the hens that lay the eggs you bought are *genuinely* free-range, ie roaming in outdoors pastures/woods, and that is the colour of the yolks. Hens that are eating any grass at all (and they will choose to do so given half a chance) will always have yolks that are a deep golden colour. If their yolks are pale, they simply do not have access to grass. I used to raise bantams, turkeys & ducks on my organic smallholding at previous house, and this was always the case without exception.

Conversely, deep-golden coloured yolks doesn't *always* mean that hens are outdoors, as some feed manufacturers (incl for organic feed) put marigold extract in it to achieve that end. However, it's quite expensive, so most don't bother. I've been very disappointed with M&S and Duchy eggs that are both supposedly "organic" but clearly are not truly so, as the yolks have always been pale yellow (tried at least 3 x half-dozens from both).

Unless you have directly visited the source of the eggs I wouldn’t buy them. Almost all eggs in shops are not “free range” by any definition other than the requirements in favour of farmers over animals.

TWTD never forgets…

Veganuary 2020 on 14:28 - Jan 10 with 2325 viewsRyorry

Veganuary 2020 on 14:11 - Jan 10 by monytowbray

Unless you have directly visited the source of the eggs I wouldn’t buy them. Almost all eggs in shops are not “free range” by any definition other than the requirements in favour of farmers over animals.

I'd usually agree with that, nothing better than a personal inspection, but Clarence Court eggs (available in all Waitroses and many other places besides) are absolutely fine, genuinely free range & best welfare standards.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/why-were-falling-back-in-love-with-eggs-thank

Veganuary 2020 on 23:01 - Jan 12 with 2217 viewsJ2BLUE

Veganuary 2020 on 10:45 - Jan 10 by NewcyBlue

How you getting on J2?

https://btn.academy/blogs/news/the-game-changers-movie-how-it-should-have-been-f

Whilst watching the Game Changers, I decided to read up on it....

Cheers i'll have a read of that.

It's going well thanks. It hasn't been particularly difficult. Well, except for a few seconds in Waitrose when I saw a Beef Ragu Tortiglione and thought "f**k veganism". I did come to my senses a few second later and went off to look at the vegan stuff without caving in. The range of vegan products is amazing now. One thing we have to thank the likes of Callis for is the explosion in plant based choices.

I did buy a packet of BBQ Pop Chips as part of my vegan Costa meal deal the other day. A quick glance at the packet revealed they had whey powder so I didn't eat them. Not really an issue.

I was in M&S earlier and wondered what the vegan stance on yellow stickered stuff is? Is it better for animal products to be thrown in the bin uneaten or for people to buy the food which would otherwise be binned? It's an interesting one because you could argue it would show demand is down so the supply of these products might reduce but on the other hand that food took water resources to produce and has a carbon footprint. If you ignore it and buy something else that also has a carbon footprint and took resources to produce it's not good for the environment. Any vegans care to weigh in? I didn't consider it too long as I was in M&S early so much of it could have eventually been sold anyway and I will complete the month challenge.

Long term I won't be vegan. There's a good article on Precision Nutrition about why it's better for many people to be plant based rather than vegan. I'll try and find the article. Vegan is all or nothing, a commitment never to eat an animal product for the rest of your life. A scary though and no wonder most people refuse to consider it. Plant based seems much better. 99% of your diet can be vegan food but if you have beef, cheese and bacon once a month you aren't a failure. I enjoy pizza, stews and a bacon sandwich too much not to have them every so often. Perhaps not even once a month. Just knowing I could have them if I fancied them would probably take much of the craving away. I'm looking forward to trying the meatless meatball marinara. I wouldn't eat the meat one if they paid me. Same with the KFC vegan burger.

Overall i'm enjoying this way of eating and will probably have many more vegan days than non vegan days when this month is over but once a week if I eat with family or fancy something non vegan i'll have it. I think that is a good compromise.

Truly impaired.

Veganuary 2020 on 00:26 - Jan 13 with 2189 viewsmonytowbray

The Meatball subway was okay, a bit dry, could do with smaller meatballs or slicing them in half to up the sauce ratio. Good to know it’s there when needed but not something I’d go out my way for. Although that’s always been my verdict of Subway.

The Chicago Town stuffed crust pizza though, let’s talk about that. The best store bought frozen pizza I ever remember eating, vegan or otherwise.

TWTD never forgets…

Veganuary 2019 on 04:04 - Jan 13 with 2154 viewstextbackup

Veganuary 2019 on 10:18 - Jan 6 by monytowbray

They’re lame ones. I’ve stated why. Herbivore has stated having a non vegan partner isn’t hard. Kids eat what their parents give them. Ironic when parents are keen to get their kids eating more veg.

Virtually any food kids typically like (pizza, nuggets, burgers) all have very good vegan alternatives now.

“Thowing meat in a dish” is still possible, just use fake meat. I do it all the time.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2020 10:20]

"Kids eat what their parents give them"

HA FCKING HA.......

mate your daughter is about 17 isn't she? I find it amazing you weren't there for any of the younger years of her life, then think you can tell others that its easy.

my two were given vegan pigs in blankets boxing day at inlaws, both spat them out, knew straight away they weren't the real thing.
this week they've tried the green heck sauasges, they came out too.

i'm trying a few different alternatives at the mo, purely as a shift worker I eat at work 3 weeks in 5, so can spend a bit of time planning/cooking without impacting the family.

my sister in law is full nutcase vegan, does the rallies, got the word tattooed on her multiple times etc etc.... she couldn't believe it when I said I was trying these different bits as i'm normally meat meat meat..... but then she felt annoyed that I was only doing it to try the new things and it wasn't because I cared about the animals. 35 years I've not given a toss about them in order to eat meat, why would I suddenly start now.

but anyway, some decent grub out there these days, and i'm feeling as full as I was previously!
[Post edited 13 Jan 2020 4:22]

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Veganuary 2020 on 22:50 - Jan 14 with 2060 viewsRyorry

Veganuary 2020 on 17:55 - Jan 7 by Ryorry

Meanwhile, on BBC1 tonight at 22.35 -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07wn1l2

"Episode 1
Veganville Series 1 Episode 1 of 3

Veganville sees a group of vegans head to the heart of south Wales to try to convert local meat eaters to a plant-based lifestyle, challenging views on both sides of the debate in the process.

Meat and dairy consumption is ingrained in local culture across the UK, and Merthyr Tydfil, a town surrounded by hills and farmland, is home to many who depend on animal agriculture for employment and nutrition.
But with veganism making its way into the mainstream, the series explores what motivates those who choose a plant-based lifestyle, and those who don’t, as a group of vegans tries to convince the tight-knit community of Merthyr to go meatless.

The vegans include full-time animal rights activist Joey, Miami bodybuilder Korin, single mum Jodi, foodie Rikki and truck driver Dan. Each has a different attitude towards giving up animal products, leading to tensions when it comes to the methods used for spreading the word about veganism.

The first four vegans arrive at their new home in Merthyr Tydfil and waste no time setting up a welcome event in the town centre. Tensions among the group soon rise as it becomes clear that, although they share the same goal, their attitudes to spreading the plant-based message are very different. Meanwhile, Merthyr residents have mixed feelings when it comes to veganism. Some are open to the idea, but others believe that animal products are part of balanced diet and many simply enjoy the taste of meat. With Jodi and Rikki keen to win the community over with kindness and cake, and Joey adopting the hard-hitting approach of playing abattoir footage in the town square, will the local community and the vegans be able to accept each other’s point of view?"

[Post edited 7 Jan 2020 17:57]

Part2 started about 10 mins ago on BBC1.

Very fit bodybuilder from Florida has arrived in the Welsh Valleys to join the group :)

Veganuary 2020 on 23:06 - Jan 14 with 2044 viewsJ2BLUE

Veganuary 2020 on 22:50 - Jan 14 by Ryorry

Part2 started about 10 mins ago on BBC1.

Very fit bodybuilder from Florida has arrived in the Welsh Valleys to join the group :)

I think that guy is dreaming if he thinks 80% of the country will go vegan.

I could see 80% of the country going 90% plant based with 1-2 higher quality animal product meals per week but full vegan? Can't see it.

Truly impaired.

Veganuary 2020 on 23:42 - Jan 14 with 2024 viewsJ2BLUE

Quorn vegan smoky ham is excellent. Same one used in the Costa vegan toastie. Had it in a couple of decent rolls with a decent helping of wholegrain mustard. Delicious.

Truly impaired.

Veganuary 2020 on 14:35 - Jan 20 with 1869 viewsJ2BLUE

Latest discovery:

I love the Holland and Barrett chilli soya and chickpea crisps so when I saw these I picked them up expecting to see milk ingredients but it says they are vegan. Really nice.

Also discovered the Linda McCartney sausages are much better air fried with a few sprays of spray oil. They go crispy and are much better.

Truly impaired.

Veganuary 2020 on 21:08 - Jan 20 with 1801 viewsjeera

Veganuary 2020 on 23:06 - Jan 14 by J2BLUE

I think that guy is dreaming if he thinks 80% of the country will go vegan.

I could see 80% of the country going 90% plant based with 1-2 higher quality animal product meals per week but full vegan? Can't see it.

Having chatted a bit with Lucan this past week or 2 with his recent visit to China I took a moment to give myself a reminder a few days ago exactly what kind of foodstuff other cultures eat.

When you read a list that contains all sorts of animal products that are widely available at food markets around the world; lists that include bat, it serves as a stark reminder that our rather modern approach to all things food isn't replicated necessarily elsewhere at all.

That's not to say, along with recycling/saving the planet etc, we shouldn't try.

But it does show that some of the preaching about food really may be misdirected.

It's no good for example, people like my nephew getting a bit shouty when it comes to animal consumption - to the point of falling out with family members at times - when there are tens of millions of people who may literally think you're mad for even suggesting that using animal products is in someway a bit unethical.

Food is a way of life for many people and when it comes down to it, like you say, the idea of changing a population's entire approach is an unrealistic goal.

Tweaking attitudes towards welfare should maybe take precedence rather than challenging them head-on thinking it's going to make a difference.

I'm thinking blocking supermarket aisles, that kind of thing, seems counter productive to me.

I'm waffling whilst I wait for dinner to cook.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Veganuary 2020 on 21:15 - Jan 20 with 1788 viewsJ2BLUE

Veganuary 2020 on 21:08 - Jan 20 by jeera

Having chatted a bit with Lucan this past week or 2 with his recent visit to China I took a moment to give myself a reminder a few days ago exactly what kind of foodstuff other cultures eat.

When you read a list that contains all sorts of animal products that are widely available at food markets around the world; lists that include bat, it serves as a stark reminder that our rather modern approach to all things food isn't replicated necessarily elsewhere at all.

That's not to say, along with recycling/saving the planet etc, we shouldn't try.

But it does show that some of the preaching about food really may be misdirected.

It's no good for example, people like my nephew getting a bit shouty when it comes to animal consumption - to the point of falling out with family members at times - when there are tens of millions of people who may literally think you're mad for even suggesting that using animal products is in someway a bit unethical.

Food is a way of life for many people and when it comes down to it, like you say, the idea of changing a population's entire approach is an unrealistic goal.

Tweaking attitudes towards welfare should maybe take precedence rather than challenging them head-on thinking it's going to make a difference.

I'm thinking blocking supermarket aisles, that kind of thing, seems counter productive to me.

I'm waffling whilst I wait for dinner to cook.

Oh no, I completely agree. I saw someone post something like 'veganism is for rich westerners' either on here or another site. There's a lot of truth in that. It's one thing eating smashed avocado on toast for breakfast in London but i'm sure it's a hell of a lot more difficult in the vast majority of places.

There's an interesting article on BBC site about those vegan activists who have been on the BBC tv show trying to convert people. The young girl who was on there has fallen out with her mum over it. Comes across as a right spoilt brat and has that aggravating 'people aren't willing to be educated' attitude. Her mum said she probably has to choose between going vegan or losing her daughter which is a ridiculous situation to be in.

The daughter has quit working at her mum's burger van because it sells meat. Her mum should tell her that to be completely true to her beliefs she should not expect to be housed, clothed and fed with the income those sales produce.

Truly impaired.

Veganuary 2020 on 21:24 - Jan 20 with 1778 viewsjeera

Veganuary 2020 on 21:15 - Jan 20 by J2BLUE

Oh no, I completely agree. I saw someone post something like 'veganism is for rich westerners' either on here or another site. There's a lot of truth in that. It's one thing eating smashed avocado on toast for breakfast in London but i'm sure it's a hell of a lot more difficult in the vast majority of places.

There's an interesting article on BBC site about those vegan activists who have been on the BBC tv show trying to convert people. The young girl who was on there has fallen out with her mum over it. Comes across as a right spoilt brat and has that aggravating 'people aren't willing to be educated' attitude. Her mum said she probably has to choose between going vegan or losing her daughter which is a ridiculous situation to be in.

The daughter has quit working at her mum's burger van because it sells meat. Her mum should tell her that to be completely true to her beliefs she should not expect to be housed, clothed and fed with the income those sales produce.

The daughter is welcome to start up a business of her own selling whatever she sees as fit and bring in an income isn't she.

Hopefully then being able to keep her old mum when it comes to her retirement.

A lass I've become pally with works part time in a local shop. She's only 18 or so and is full-on everything right now. I swear she makes a small growling sound each time someone buys an avocado (I check to see if she's working before I go to the till with one - they're not ethical either as it goes, like you didn't know[!]) and if you ask for a plastic bag...she gives a fine death stare.

I jest. I like the enthusiasm and determination and I really have been trying to do my part since long before she was even born.

But yes, I have now been alive long enough to have earned the right to gently rib her when she lectures me whilst respecting the drive she has at the same time.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Veganuary 2020 on 21:20 - Jan 31 with 1585 viewsJ2BLUE

3 hours to go!

It's been alright actually. I have no intention of getting to midnight and stuffing myself with steak and cheese. I've had some really decent meals, eaten lots more veg than usual and learnt a lot.

I bloody hate the modern need to give everything a label but i'll become a 'flexitarian' tomorrow unless some muppet has invented a new label for 'mostly vegan'. I think 95(min)/5(max) is a good compromise and allows a couple of meals each week to contain meat or animal products for flexibility. Most of those will still be vegetarian as I don't really miss meat.

Rambling over. Thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread and all the recommendations etc.

Truly impaired.

Veganuary 2020 on 21:45 - Jan 31 with 1573 viewsmonytowbray

Veganuary 2020 on 21:20 - Jan 31 by J2BLUE

3 hours to go!

It's been alright actually. I have no intention of getting to midnight and stuffing myself with steak and cheese. I've had some really decent meals, eaten lots more veg than usual and learnt a lot.

I bloody hate the modern need to give everything a label but i'll become a 'flexitarian' tomorrow unless some muppet has invented a new label for 'mostly vegan'. I think 95(min)/5(max) is a good compromise and allows a couple of meals each week to contain meat or animal products for flexibility. Most of those will still be vegetarian as I don't really miss meat.

Rambling over. Thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread and all the recommendations etc.

Sell out ;)

What were your fav foods/meals you’ll keep enjoying?

TWTD never forgets…

Veganuary 2020 on 22:11 - Jan 31 with 1559 viewsJ2BLUE

Veganuary 2020 on 21:45 - Jan 31 by monytowbray

Sell out ;)

What were your fav foods/meals you’ll keep enjoying?

Chickpea and potato curry

Banana and oat pancakes

Loving veg stews and curries. I just chuck in a massive amount of peas/chickpeas for the protein.

Quorn vegan pieces in blackbean sauce with sugar snap peas and baby corn

Quorn vegan ham with wholegrain mustard was a bit of an addiction. Especially in decent wholemeal bread.

I quite like just random combinations. I noticed a lot of people on youtube just had things like veg, wholegrain rice and some form of beans so I started doing that with a little sauce of some kind.

I've had houmous pretty much every day. Love that stuff.

Truly impaired.

Veganuary 2020 on 23:43 - Jan 31 with 1531 viewsRyorry

Veganuary 2020 on 22:11 - Jan 31 by J2BLUE

Chickpea and potato curry

Banana and oat pancakes

Loving veg stews and curries. I just chuck in a massive amount of peas/chickpeas for the protein.

Quorn vegan pieces in blackbean sauce with sugar snap peas and baby corn

Quorn vegan ham with wholegrain mustard was a bit of an addiction. Especially in decent wholemeal bread.

I quite like just random combinations. I noticed a lot of people on youtube just had things like veg, wholegrain rice and some form of beans so I started doing that with a little sauce of some kind.

I've had houmous pretty much every day. Love that stuff.

Chickpea & spud curry is dreamy! Chickpeas (garbanzos) seem to me hugely undersung in any cuisine, but particularly for vegans. Nutritionally almost a complete food, and I find them actually really tasty on their own just boiled or sprouted too.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024