Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Veganuary 2020 12:16 - Jan 4 with 19496 viewsJ2BLUE

Lets try and keep this civil people. The meat eaters versus vegans thing has been done to death. Most of the board have nothing new to add. If you feel compelled to reply telling us how you're knee deep in chicken wings that is entirely your choice.

Anyone doing it? Just tried the new Costa vegan 'cheese' and 'ham' toastie. I hope they keep it. It's good enough to for me to choose regularly.

Any decent product suggestions? Recipe ideas? etc
[Post edited 5 Jan 2020 13:41]

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Veganuary 2020 on 08:46 - Jan 8 with 1129 viewsitfcjoe

Veganuary 2020 on 00:03 - Jan 8 by J2BLUE

I didn't like him. I hate the attitude that they are the enlightened and people just need to be educated. It seemed most people were willing to cut down on meat and animal products. I understand having strong beliefs but take the easy gains. Much easier to get that snowball rolling and encourage people to take it further once they see how easy it is, and to be honest, unless you have health issues/family issues it is easy 90% of the time if people WANT to do it. I've noticed the absolute explosion of vegan options in the last year or so. To someone like Callis the change over the last five years or so must be insane. It does make me wonder where we will be in 5-10 years and how much more of the chilled aisle the plant based options will take up.

I think the point about taking the easy gains is a good one - getting people to eat less meat, and better quality meat would be a big step.

1-2 meat free days a week as a start, maybe a veggie month or veggie week days and go from there - I find it almost impossible to believe that anyone can go from normal diet to vegan quickly and that is a destination rather than a next stop

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Veganuary 2020 on 08:50 - Jan 8 with 1117 viewsDanTheMan

Veganuary 2020 on 08:46 - Jan 8 by itfcjoe

I think the point about taking the easy gains is a good one - getting people to eat less meat, and better quality meat would be a big step.

1-2 meat free days a week as a start, maybe a veggie month or veggie week days and go from there - I find it almost impossible to believe that anyone can go from normal diet to vegan quickly and that is a destination rather than a next stop

"I find it almost impossible to believe that anyone can go from normal diet to vegan quickly and that is a destination rather than a next stop"

This is where people probably go wrong to be honest. It's a fairly extreme change if you're not used to it.

There are some fairly easy things you can do to just start cutting down. Tea with plant milk for example is very easy. As you say, cutting down a couple of meals a week without meat is easy enough to, and you get experience cooking vegan meals, finding what works for you.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Veganuary 2020 on 08:53 - Jan 8 with 1111 viewsitfcjoe

Veganuary 2020 on 08:50 - Jan 8 by DanTheMan

"I find it almost impossible to believe that anyone can go from normal diet to vegan quickly and that is a destination rather than a next stop"

This is where people probably go wrong to be honest. It's a fairly extreme change if you're not used to it.

There are some fairly easy things you can do to just start cutting down. Tea with plant milk for example is very easy. As you say, cutting down a couple of meals a week without meat is easy enough to, and you get experience cooking vegan meals, finding what works for you.

I'd love to know what a non-Vegan's experience of doing Veganuary properly would be, genuinely. It strikes me as being so difficult that it would put people off it come the end of it and just not in anyway enjoyable.

Veganuary 2020 on 08:54 - Jan 8 with 1109 viewsNewcyBlue

Veganuary 2020 on 08:33 - Jan 8 by Lord_Lucan

Hi Newcy

Are you still in Ningbo area?

I'm in Liuyang and it is surprisingly mild, not sure there are many vegans over here.

Hello mate.

Yeah still in Ningbo. You’re 620 miles from me!

I think veganism is rare as rocking horse sh!t around these parts.

When do you head back to Blighty?

It’s pretty cold here on the coast.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Veganuary 2020 on 08:55 - Jan 8 with 1109 viewsDanTheMan

Veganuary 2020 on 08:53 - Jan 8 by itfcjoe

I'd love to know what a non-Vegan's experience of doing Veganuary properly would be, genuinely. It strikes me as being so difficult that it would put people off it come the end of it and just not in anyway enjoyable.

One of the guys at work is giving it a go with his partner, no kids. Doing alright so far, said it was a bit challenging but he's not minded too much so far.

Said the worst things were vegan cheese which he really did not like and cooking meals where it was just something where they'd swapped meat for something else and it just wasn't the same. It's better just to have good meals that don't happen to have meat in them. So things like vegetable curries where it doesn't really matter anyway.

That's why I liked the Bosh books, as they were just good recipes without meat.

Veganuary 2020 on 08:55 - Jan 8 with 1109 viewsNewcyBlue

Veganuary 2020 on 08:33 - Jan 8 by DanTheMan

My understanding from a few people at work is that you avoid as much as you can. If you stay at a hotel and they happen to have leather then there's not much you can do.

Obviously then there are people like that guy who won the case recently for "ethical veganism" who wouldn't even take the bus because it damages wildlife, so he walked everywhere. I don't personally know anyone who is that extreme.

Must be an absolute nightmare.

Some car tyres have animal by-products in.

I guess it’s a case of drawing a line somewhere.

Veganuary 2020 on 08:58 - Jan 8 with 1101 viewsitfcjoe

Veganuary 2020 on 08:55 - Jan 8 by NewcyBlue

Even if you are a vegan there will always be someone who is a 'better vegan' than you - I think that's why it is so hotly debated, because even if you are making changes it is still seen as not good enough, it's a 'never enough' lifestyle

EDIT - And I can see why vegans are defensive because their views are ridiculed like climate change people who can't be serious about it because they watch TV or other such inane rubbish the likes of Piers Morgan spout
[Post edited 8 Jan 2020 8:59]

Veganuary 2020 on 08:58 - Jan 8 with 1101 viewsDanTheMan

Veganuary 2020 on 08:55 - Jan 8 by NewcyBlue

I think your last sentence nails it, you can do what you can, but at some point there are some practicalities you just cannot avoid.

It's when people start saying others are hypocrites because "oh well your tyres have by-products in!" as some sort of gotcha that it must get annoying. We live in a society that relies on animal products currently so avoiding practically everything would be near impossible.

Login to get fewer ads

Veganuary 2020 on 09:00 - Jan 8 with 1092 viewseireblue

Veganuary 2020 on 08:33 - Jan 8 by DanTheMan

My understanding from a few people at work is that you avoid as much as you can. If you stay at a hotel and they happen to have leather then there's not much you can do.

Obviously then there are people like that guy who won the case recently for "ethical veganism" who wouldn't even take the bus because it damages wildlife, so he walked everywhere. I don't personally know anyone who is that extreme.

Yep.

Definition: Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose. There are many ways to embrace vegan living.

Trying to find a vegan sofa 20 years ago was a bit of a challenge, now you can find companies that will be explicit and state they don’t use animal derived glue.

For hotels, some advertise different pillows, I bring my own toiletries etc..

I don’t think yet that people I work with have noticed that when we go to meetings, sometimes I do sit in the waiting area, sometimes I don’t. Inspired by an eight year old, that when visiting Santa, refused to sit on reindeer hide.

Veganuary 2020 on 09:06 - Jan 8 with 1080 viewseireblue

Veganuary 2020 on 08:53 - Jan 8 by itfcjoe

My wife’s colleagues at work watched the Game Changers last year, and went vegan for a month, straight away. They are now normal eaters a day a month, plant-based the rest of the month.

My wife watched games changers inspired by that.

She is still “ normal”

Veganuary 2020 on 09:06 - Jan 8 with 1079 viewsGeoffSentence

Veganuary 2020 on 11:48 - Jan 7 by BackToRussia

Lol only grow potatoes?! I must be some sort of agronomic genius then.

Does it hurt your head being this stupid?

How are your cabbages?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Veganuary 2020 on 09:11 - Jan 8 with 1067 viewsHerbivore

Veganuary 2020 on 09:00 - Jan 8 by eireblue

Yep.

Definition: Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose. There are many ways to embrace vegan living.

Trying to find a vegan sofa 20 years ago was a bit of a challenge, now you can find companies that will be explicit and state they don’t use animal derived glue.

For hotels, some advertise different pillows, I bring my own toiletries etc..

I don’t think yet that people I work with have noticed that when we go to meetings, sometimes I do sit in the waiting area, sometimes I don’t. Inspired by an eight year old, that when visiting Santa, refused to sit on reindeer hide.

Indeed. The guy who brought the case against his employer that saw ethical veganism ruled a protected belief tries to avoid things like travelling by bus because of the insects that get killed when the bus is travelling. Fair play to him, that's going to real extremes. I won't kill insects (except mosquitos as that's basically self defence) but I wouldn't avoid taking a bus because some insects might get hit. It's about doing what you can really, which is why I've never really tried to 'convert' anyone. People need to make their own choices and live by them.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Veganuary 2020 on 09:13 - Jan 8 with 1058 viewsHerbivore

Veganuary 2020 on 09:06 - Jan 8 by eireblue

My wife’s colleagues at work watched the Game Changers last year, and went vegan for a month, straight away. They are now normal eaters a day a month, plant-based the rest of the month.

My wife watched games changers inspired by that.

She is still “ normal”

My partner is trying going pescetarian. I think she might end up going vegetarian eventually, though there's no pressure on her to. She mostly eats vegan with me at home and she enjoys it, but she would miss occasionally having a bit of dairy, egg and fish. Less so meat.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Veganuary 2020 on 09:20 - Jan 8 with 1048 viewsLord_Lucan

Veganuary 2020 on 08:54 - Jan 8 by NewcyBlue

Hello mate.

Yeah still in Ningbo. You’re 620 miles from me!

I think veganism is rare as rocking horse sh!t around these parts.

When do you head back to Blighty?

It’s pretty cold here on the coast.

I’m going back on the 13th.

The food in Hunan province is good as it is a very spicy area but yesterday I was in a small village and it was like going back 20 years, the only thing I could eat was goat and donkey. Everything else was either a bowl of goo or some strange creature full of sharp bones. There was one other bowl of something that looked ok but the chap didn’t know the English name for the animal so it was best to avoid. Today was back to normal with spicy beef and pork - and to be fair a lot of vegetables.

You must go stir crazy stuck in port for so long, it would drive me insane. I have nothing much to do for the rest of my time here but in a city of a few million there is only one bar and that doesn’t open until 6pm!

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Veganuary 2020 on 09:22 - Jan 8 with 1041 viewsartsbossbeard

Veganuary 2020 on 09:13 - Jan 8 by Herbivore

My partner is trying going pescetarian. I think she might end up going vegetarian eventually, though there's no pressure on her to. She mostly eats vegan with me at home and she enjoys it, but she would miss occasionally having a bit of dairy, egg and fish. Less so meat.

I'm now pescatarian but in reality I'm a veggy really. I thought that I'd struggle to give up meat completely hence the pescatarian status, but it's been a breeze in reality.

Can't go full vegan as I love my cheese/pasta/bread too much. It's more ethical than health related reasons for me but I've no intention whatsoever to get all preachy with anyone about it. Individual choices and all that.

I've no idea what I'll eat on our lads night out to Rio's,- Ipswich's finest all you can eat meat fest at the end of January...

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Veganuary 2020 on 09:24 - Jan 8 with 1031 viewsNewcyBlue

Veganuary 2020 on 08:58 - Jan 8 by DanTheMan

I think your last sentence nails it, you can do what you can, but at some point there are some practicalities you just cannot avoid.

It's when people start saying others are hypocrites because "oh well your tyres have by-products in!" as some sort of gotcha that it must get annoying. We live in a society that relies on animal products currently so avoiding practically everything would be near impossible.

Different people have different ideas as to what reasonable steps they take are to limit their own impact.

Callis suggested earlier that there is no excuse. Nobody needs an excuse.

But I do believe we should all take whatever steps we feel are reasonable to our own lifestyles to reduce our impact, and we need to take ownership of choices. There are alternatives out there, walking instead of driving. Quorn instead of mince. Etc.

Not wanting to totally give up animal products is ok too.

Veganuary 2020 on 09:39 - Jan 8 with 1010 viewsLord_Lucan

Veganuary 2020 on 09:22 - Jan 8 by artsbossbeard

I'm now pescatarian but in reality I'm a veggy really. I thought that I'd struggle to give up meat completely hence the pescatarian status, but it's been a breeze in reality.

Can't go full vegan as I love my cheese/pasta/bread too much. It's more ethical than health related reasons for me but I've no intention whatsoever to get all preachy with anyone about it. Individual choices and all that.

I've no idea what I'll eat on our lads night out to Rio's,- Ipswich's finest all you can eat meat fest at the end of January...

You’ve turned quite odd.

What about Mrs beard and beard junior, are they following you in your strange new lifestyle?

By the way, seeing as you have gone all ethical you will be impressed with me, I have just developed an eco friendly product. My WhatsApp is blocked so I’ll PM you. You will be pleased to know that I have done this purely for commercial reasons and will latch on to the eco market purely for financial gain.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2020 10:44]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Veganuary 2020 on 09:44 - Jan 8 with 997 viewsartsbossbeard

Veganuary 2020 on 09:39 - Jan 8 by Lord_Lucan

You’ve turned quite odd.

What about Mrs beard and beard junior, are they following you in your strange new lifestyle?

By the way, seeing as you have gone all ethical you will be impressed with me, I have just developed an eco friendly product. My WhatsApp is blocked so I’ll PM you. You will be pleased to know that I have done this purely for commercial reasons and will latch on to the eco market purely for financial gain.

I've whatsapped you today but scum in law advised that you're having issues. £45 in your account.

No, it's just me and my own personal fight against this planet's weird choices on what is a cuddly animal that we must protect and an animal that we can simply breed for it's meat. Other Beard family members are not joining the crusade.

I await your Alan B'astard style exploitation of the worlds move to eco friendly products with great interest.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Veganuary 2020 on 09:44 - Jan 8 with 996 viewsNewcyBlue

Veganuary 2020 on 09:20 - Jan 8 by Lord_Lucan

I’m going back on the 13th.

The food in Hunan province is good as it is a very spicy area but yesterday I was in a small village and it was like going back 20 years, the only thing I could eat was goat and donkey. Everything else was either a bowl of goo or some strange creature full of sharp bones. There was one other bowl of something that looked ok but the chap didn’t know the English name for the animal so it was best to avoid. Today was back to normal with spicy beef and pork - and to be fair a lot of vegetables.

You must go stir crazy stuck in port for so long, it would drive me insane. I have nothing much to do for the rest of my time here but in a city of a few million there is only one bar and that doesn’t open until 6pm!

We are in a repair yard and it’s noisy all day and night. So I am barely sleeping.

It’s worse as the work is mostly above my cabin.

Food on this island is ok. I think it’s mostly catered for ships crews though.

Veganuary 2020 on 09:46 - Jan 8 with 993 viewsNewcyBlue

Veganuary 2020 on 09:39 - Jan 8 by Lord_Lucan

You’ve turned quite odd.

Download Windscribe VPN. I use that for WhatsApp in China.

Veganuary 2020 on 09:59 - Jan 8 with 967 viewsLord_Lucan

Veganuary 2020 on 09:46 - Jan 8 by NewcyBlue

Download Windscribe VPN. I use that for WhatsApp in China.

I’m struggling with phones. I have VPN on normal phone but it doesn’t want to play with the internet for some reason. I have a Chinese mobile which I’m on now but it is so slow that I doubt it will download anything.

Veganuary 2020 on 14:34 - Jan 8 with 898 viewsRyorry

Veganuary 2020 on 00:03 - Jan 8 by J2BLUE

I didn't like him. I hate the attitude that they are the enlightened and people just need to be educated. It seemed most people were willing to cut down on meat and animal products. I understand having strong beliefs but take the easy gains. Much easier to get that snowball rolling and encourage people to take it further once they see how easy it is, and to be honest, unless you have health issues/family issues it is easy 90% of the time if people WANT to do it. I've noticed the absolute explosion of vegan options in the last year or so. To someone like Callis the change over the last five years or so must be insane. It does make me wonder where we will be in 5-10 years and how much more of the chilled aisle the plant based options will take up.

Interesting - I didn't see him (or any of them really) as unacceptably pushy, in fact I was surprised (but probably shouldn't have been) at how gentle & laid back he was. But they were there to sell veganism to others, and I thought they were just rather good salespeople. The keeping quiet & then reveleals about the contents of the "burgers" sold at the Merthyr football game was a brilliant idea which obviously went down well, and one middle-aged female was even "turned" by footage of "free-range" hens.

As I've said before, agree about the gradual, step by step approach.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Veganuary 2020 on 14:41 - Jan 8 with 878 viewsJ2BLUE

Veganuary 2020 on 14:34 - Jan 8 by Ryorry

Interesting - I didn't see him (or any of them really) as unacceptably pushy, in fact I was surprised (but probably shouldn't have been) at how gentle & laid back he was. But they were there to sell veganism to others, and I thought they were just rather good salespeople. The keeping quiet & then reveleals about the contents of the "burgers" sold at the Merthyr football game was a brilliant idea which obviously went down well, and one middle-aged female was even "turned" by footage of "free-range" hens.

As I've said before, agree about the gradual, step by step approach.

Not telling people what they've eaten until afterwards is a tried and tested method. They even tried it on 'real men' types in Texas who couldn't tell the difference.

People have a lot of preconceptions. Believe it or not, they have done studies where they have presented full fat/sugar food as a diet alternative and people claim they didn't like it as much as when they knew in advance that it was the full fat/sugar product.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Veganuary 2020 on 19:24 - Jan 8 with 829 viewsLord_Lucan

Veganuary 2020 on 14:41 - Jan 8 by J2BLUE

Not telling people what they've eaten until afterwards is a tried and tested method. They even tried it on 'real men' types in Texas who couldn't tell the difference.

People have a lot of preconceptions. Believe it or not, they have done studies where they have presented full fat/sugar food as a diet alternative and people claim they didn't like it as much as when they knew in advance that it was the full fat/sugar product.

I can't believe you are even posting on this thread when you don't even like a snotty egg.

What is wrong with you?

Veganuary 2020 on 19:35 - Jan 8 with 810 viewsNewcyBlue

Veganuary 2020 on 19:24 - Jan 8 by Lord_Lucan

I can't believe you are even posting on this thread when you don't even like a snotty egg.

What is wrong with you?

I got a properly snotty egg on some fried rice in a restaurant here.

It was superb. The white was like a gooey delicious mess.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024