Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Veganuary 2020 12:16 - Jan 4 with 19516 viewsJ2BLUE

Lets try and keep this civil people. The meat eaters versus vegans thing has been done to death. Most of the board have nothing new to add. If you feel compelled to reply telling us how you're knee deep in chicken wings that is entirely your choice.

Anyone doing it? Just tried the new Costa vegan 'cheese' and 'ham' toastie. I hope they keep it. It's good enough to for me to choose regularly.

Any decent product suggestions? Recipe ideas? etc
[Post edited 5 Jan 2020 13:41]

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Veganuary 2020 on 11:48 - Jan 7 with 1107 viewsBackToRussia

Veganuary 2020 on 08:23 - Jan 7 by chicoazul

Yes I know. I have no dog in this fight, I don't care, I just thought I would point it out, along with the larger fact that is unsustainable for us all to change to a plant based diet espec here in the UK where basically all we can grow is potatoes. Imagine how much land would have to be tilled if we all moved to a plant based diet, along with all the animals that also eat plants too. We would have to kill all the other plant-based animals basically.

Lol only grow potatoes?! I must be some sort of agronomic genius then.

Does it hurt your head being this stupid?

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Veganuary 2020 on 11:55 - Jan 7 with 1092 viewsDanTheMan

Veganuary 2020 on 11:48 - Jan 7 by Ryorry

It's not as simple as that -

http://www.fao.org/3/Y0501E/y0501e07.htm

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manure

https://manuretosavetheworld.weebly.com/the-importance-of-manure.html

Manure from animals always improves the structure, water retaining properties and fertility of soil, without the need for manufacturing chemical fertiliser on a vast scale (which itself demands massive fossil fuel use & contributes to climate change). In poorer countries it's used in many other ways incl. construction etc.

I am aware it's not as simple as I put, but people who are more much more experienced in the area believe that if we ate less meat we'd have more room for plants.

I really don't see why that's such a controversial statement, I'm not even vegan. Just think everyone could do with cutting down on the amount of meat eaten.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Veganuary 2020 on 12:02 - Jan 7 with 1074 viewsRyorry

Veganuary 2020 on 11:55 - Jan 7 by DanTheMan

I am aware it's not as simple as I put, but people who are more much more experienced in the area believe that if we ate less meat we'd have more room for plants.

I really don't see why that's such a controversial statement, I'm not even vegan. Just think everyone could do with cutting down on the amount of meat eaten.

You weren't being "controversial". I was simply pointing out for those who aren't aware, that getting rid of all farm animals isn't actually 100% a great idea when the whole picture is looked at.

I think about 90% of people who've contributed to this thread (including myself) have said that they've cut down on the amount of meat they eat.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Veganuary 2020 on 12:41 - Jan 7 with 1041 viewseireblue

Veganuary 2020 on 12:02 - Jan 7 by Ryorry

You weren't being "controversial". I was simply pointing out for those who aren't aware, that getting rid of all farm animals isn't actually 100% a great idea when the whole picture is looked at.

I think about 90% of people who've contributed to this thread (including myself) have said that they've cut down on the amount of meat they eat.

It is an important point. Many of the studies consider this sort of thing.

It is also worth considering, and I know you realise this, cows still sh1t after the age of 30 months.

It is somewhat like the Bee argument, the value of a bee to an ecosystems is it is a pollinator.

You don’t need to kill cows, to make use of cowsh1t, in fact a dead cow doesn’t really help.
No kill farms exist.

Please remember, we have Chico about, so any comments perceived to be a bit too simple or condescending, don’t take them as aimed at you.
Veganuary 2020 on 12:49 - Jan 7 with 1032 viewsStokieBlue

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51015435

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Veganuary 2020 on 13:10 - Jan 7 with 1001 viewslowhouseblue

Veganuary 2020 on 11:42 - Jan 7 by eireblue

Well, I can only speak about the vegans I know.

They wouldn’t have to change.

Would be interesting though to get an example ingredient list, and see which ingredients can’t be grown in the UK.

For instance quorn, is I believe a UK product. Hodemedod sell UK grown things like peas (pea protein is used a quiet a bit) and they sell UK grown quinoa, as well as the usual range of grains and lentils. There are varieties of Soyabean that can be grown in the south of the UK.

So not entirely sure that you are correct in that a lot of vegans would also have to change a lot of what they eat.

Not saying there wouldn’t be challenges and changes, but could the UK be food secure, the answer to that is a yes, if it was based on plant based diet, according to the study.

I know there are vegans who cook and use local produce. but when it's reported that sales of 'vegan food' have risen by X00% in a year they're not referring to carrots. they mean mass produced, processed, cr*ppy, chilled, supermarket stuff.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Veganuary 2020 on 14:00 - Jan 7 with 982 viewseireblue

Veganuary 2020 on 13:10 - Jan 7 by lowhouseblue

I know there are vegans who cook and use local produce. but when it's reported that sales of 'vegan food' have risen by X00% in a year they're not referring to carrots. they mean mass produced, processed, cr*ppy, chilled, supermarket stuff.

It may also include things like Tyne Cheese, or Sagia foods as well, e.g. the growth in local SME vegan food produce.

In some cases I think it is “vegan labelled foods”, that are monitored.

For instance, a tin of beans, that wasn’t labelled vegan, and is then subsequently labelled suitable vegans, maybe included. I don’t know the details, maybe you have more insight.

I think, it may also be the case that non-diary milks are also included, and of course it isn’t vegans that exclusively use those products.

Also, I would assume the growth will include non-vegans buying things for vegans.

It has been a while, but I believe there is non-vegan mass produced, processed, cr@ppy, chilled supermarket stuff.

So in the case of the UK becoming food secure, which was the context of where this particular discussion started, non-vegans would also have to move away from that as well. So I guess your substantive point would really apply to all people that eat food in the UK.
Veganuary 2020 on 14:26 - Jan 7 with 962 viewsjeera

Veganuary 2020 on 14:00 - Jan 7 by eireblue

It may also include things like Tyne Cheese, or Sagia foods as well, e.g. the growth in local SME vegan food produce.

In some cases I think it is “vegan labelled foods”, that are monitored.

For instance, a tin of beans, that wasn’t labelled vegan, and is then subsequently labelled suitable vegans, maybe included. I don’t know the details, maybe you have more insight.

I think, it may also be the case that non-diary milks are also included, and of course it isn’t vegans that exclusively use those products.

Also, I would assume the growth will include non-vegans buying things for vegans.

It has been a while, but I believe there is non-vegan mass produced, processed, cr@ppy, chilled supermarket stuff.

So in the case of the UK becoming food secure, which was the context of where this particular discussion started, non-vegans would also have to move away from that as well. So I guess your substantive point would really apply to all people that eat food in the UK.

I have wondered myself how this works; the protein fillers etc.

For years we have been told to avoid processed foods, which, speaking for myself there aren't many I eat anyway and I like to cook from scratch. I do buy sausages from time to time though.

But stuff like Quorn, tofu, the vegan cheeses? Those are heavily processed aren't they so how does that work? Also, I am aware of the almond environmental impact but are there issues with other nuts I should know about? Cashews being an obvious one here.

This is from a place of considered ignorance and I really should educate myself on this better.

I am generally, and have always been, a veg only twice a week anyway, but not for ethical reasons admittedly. It's just suited me that way.

But that's just cooking a vegetable Indian* or Chinese with rice style food and doesn't offer any protein source. When I dieted a bit last year I was getting through bags of monkey nuts (as an example) which I felt was doing a job but I didn't attempt any research to check. I was cutting down on all sorts of things and craving other stuff instead.

Those things are moorish mind.

*the odd dhal aside.
[Post edited 7 Jan 2020 14:34]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Login to get fewer ads

Veganuary 2020 on 14:44 - Jan 7 with 944 viewsRyorry

Veganuary 2020 on 12:41 - Jan 7 by eireblue

It is an important point. Many of the studies consider this sort of thing.

It is also worth considering, and I know you realise this, cows still sh1t after the age of 30 months.

It is somewhat like the Bee argument, the value of a bee to an ecosystems is it is a pollinator.

You don’t need to kill cows, to make use of cowsh1t, in fact a dead cow doesn’t really help.
No kill farms exist.

Please remember, we have Chico about, so any comments perceived to be a bit too simple or condescending, don’t take them as aimed at you.

Any recommended articles?

What you say being the case, I'd have thought a limited form of organic dairy farming would be acceptable to many, if the cows were allowed to live on post their reproductive years.

There's also this (nb - don't open if blood makes you queasy)

https://www.atlasobscura.com/foods/cow-blood-kenya-maasai

Veganuary 2020 on 14:46 - Jan 7 with 938 viewseireblue

Veganuary 2020 on 14:26 - Jan 7 by jeera

I have wondered myself how this works; the protein fillers etc.

For years we have been told to avoid processed foods, which, speaking for myself there aren't many I eat anyway and I like to cook from scratch. I do buy sausages from time to time though.

But stuff like Quorn, tofu, the vegan cheeses? Those are heavily processed aren't they so how does that work? Also, I am aware of the almond environmental impact but are there issues with other nuts I should know about? Cashews being an obvious one here.

This is from a place of considered ignorance and I really should educate myself on this better.

I am generally, and have always been, a veg only twice a week anyway, but not for ethical reasons admittedly. It's just suited me that way.

But that's just cooking a vegetable Indian* or Chinese with rice style food and doesn't offer any protein source. When I dieted a bit last year I was getting through bags of monkey nuts (as an example) which I felt was doing a job but I didn't attempt any research to check. I was cutting down on all sorts of things and craving other stuff instead.

Those things are moorish mind.

*the odd dhal aside.
[Post edited 7 Jan 2020 14:34]

I tend to think of processed as a very general term.

Cheese is a processed food, in the same way Tofu is.

You can make Tofu at home, in the same sort of way you could make cheese.

I think when people equate processed to unhealthy, they are really talking about nutrient content removed from processing, and more importantly, all the other stuff that gets put into a product, like palm oil, high fructose sugars, lots of salt/sodium, preservatives, binding agents etc..

The last dead animal food product I remember buying was organic sausages produced in a single shop in Cheltenham.
Processed meat, yes. Same as frozen sausages, no.
Veganuary 2020 on 14:47 - Jan 7 with 937 viewsmonytowbray

I see Chico is doing his usual act of having facts presented to him and then saying they’re wrong. LOL.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Veganuary 2020 on 14:56 - Jan 7 with 921 viewsjeera

Veganuary 2020 on 14:46 - Jan 7 by eireblue

I tend to think of processed as a very general term.

Cheese is a processed food, in the same way Tofu is.

You can make Tofu at home, in the same sort of way you could make cheese.

I think when people equate processed to unhealthy, they are really talking about nutrient content removed from processing, and more importantly, all the other stuff that gets put into a product, like palm oil, high fructose sugars, lots of salt/sodium, preservatives, binding agents etc..

The last dead animal food product I remember buying was organic sausages produced in a single shop in Cheltenham.
Processed meat, yes. Same as frozen sausages, no.

I first ate tofu years ago on a trip to Thailand and it was ok. I've had it several times in restaurants here too but that's all.

Maybe I'll give it a whirl more at home as I do like a bit of Chinese and it would serve to pad out a veg meal a bit, so that'll work

I suppose I was referring more to other alternative products really but take your other point that people don't have to buy those options.

I make paneer from time to time so understand what you mean about making tofu. It's only processed in the sense of restructuring its form.

I started buying almond milk but stopped when I was made aware of the potential impact. I haven't liked any other options I've tried as yet. That soy milk stuff you are welcome to. Horrible and ruined my bran flakes.

Veganuary 2020 on 14:57 - Jan 7 with 913 viewsDanTheMan

Veganuary 2020 on 14:56 - Jan 7 by jeera

I first ate tofu years ago on a trip to Thailand and it was ok. I've had it several times in restaurants here too but that's all.

Maybe I'll give it a whirl more at home as I do like a bit of Chinese and it would serve to pad out a veg meal a bit, so that'll work

I suppose I was referring more to other alternative products really but take your other point that people don't have to buy those options.

I make paneer from time to time so understand what you mean about making tofu. It's only processed in the sense of restructuring its form.

I started buying almond milk but stopped when I was made aware of the potential impact. I haven't liked any other options I've tried as yet. That soy milk stuff you are welcome to. Horrible and ruined my bran flakes.

My only tip with tofu is just to dry it out a bit by squashing it and then making it crispy. So much nicer than way, and it then gets some of the flavour of whatever sauce it is in as well.

Veganuary 2020 on 14:58 - Jan 7 with 912 viewsRyorry

I don't think all almond production is the same - Spanish production different to California's (sorry, don't have time to search for evidence atm).

Veganuary 2020 on 14:59 - Jan 7 with 911 viewseireblue

Veganuary 2020 on 14:44 - Jan 7 by Ryorry

Any recommended articles?

What you say being the case, I'd have thought a limited form of organic dairy farming would be acceptable to many, if the cows were allowed to live on post their reproductive years.

There's also this (nb - don't open if blood makes you queasy)

https://www.atlasobscura.com/foods/cow-blood-kenya-maasai

No recommended articles at my fingertips. Posted a few before.

Yes, there are no kill Dairy farms. I saw something on one in the UK.

I have been to Kenya, and a Maasai village (mostly fake I assumed), spent a lot of time zoning out and looking at the countryside, whilst others engaged in local foody discussions.
Veganuary 2020 on 15:05 - Jan 7 with 899 viewseireblue

Veganuary 2020 on 14:57 - Jan 7 by DanTheMan

My only tip with tofu is just to dry it out a bit by squashing it and then making it crispy. So much nicer than way, and it then gets some of the flavour of whatever sauce it is in as well.

A Tofu press is a very good thing.
Veganuary 2020 on 15:07 - Jan 7 with 892 viewseireblue

Oat milk from Oatley, and their other oat filled products are my go to.

Soya and hemp milk should be banned for disservices to veganry.
Veganuary 2020 on 15:16 - Jan 7 with 877 viewsDanTheMan

Veganuary 2020 on 15:05 - Jan 7 by eireblue

A Tofu press is a very good thing.

Been meaning to get one, but been getting by with a tea towel and some heavy books.

Veganuary 2020 on 15:16 - Jan 7 with 876 viewsjeera

Veganuary 2020 on 15:07 - Jan 7 by eireblue

Oh yes, J2 recommended the Oatley for me last year.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, it worked well with my porridge and blueberries breakfast. I'll get some on next shop for that.

Can't say I liked it in my tea so much.

Veganuary 2020 on 15:17 - Jan 7 with 876 viewsDanTheMan

Veganuary 2020 on 15:07 - Jan 7 by eireblue

Unfortunately not an option if you are Coeliac / Gluten intolerant.

Veganuary 2020 on 15:20 - Jan 7 with 870 viewsjeera

Veganuary 2020 on 15:17 - Jan 7 by DanTheMan

My sister can't have gluten.

As a confirmed lover of all bread I do feel sorry for her there.

Mind you, I cut back on bread dramatically for a few months last year and lost sooo much weight that I actually looked good for a while.

That and alcohol.

I've put the weight on again since I started eating bread again. And rediscovered beer.

Veganuary 2020 on 15:24 - Jan 7 with 864 viewsDanTheMan

Veganuary 2020 on 15:20 - Jan 7 by jeera

My sister can't have gluten.

As a confirmed lover of all bread I do feel sorry for her there.

Mind you, I cut back on bread dramatically for a few months last year and lost sooo much weight that I actually looked good for a while.

That and alcohol.

I've put the weight on again since I started eating bread again. And rediscovered beer.

I could give up beer, but bread.

No chance.

I'd much rather exercise that give up than a lovely fresh loaf of gluten delight.

Veganuary 2020 on 15:28 - Jan 7 with 860 viewseireblue

Veganuary 2020 on 15:16 - Jan 7 by jeera

Oh yes, J2 recommended the Oatley for me last year.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, it worked well with my porridge and blueberries breakfast. I'll get some on next shop for that.

Can't say I liked it in my tea so much.

Ewwww, well stop putting milk in tea, terrible habit.
Veganuary 2020 on 15:30 - Jan 7 with 852 viewsjeera

Veganuary 2020 on 15:28 - Jan 7 by eireblue

Ewwww, well stop putting milk in tea, terrible habit.

That's not gonna happen; too ingrained as an ex-market trader.

Not tried ewe's milk though and shall consider it if nothing else works out.

Veganuary 2020 on 15:32 - Jan 7 with 849 viewseireblue

Veganuary 2020 on 15:17 - Jan 7 by DanTheMan

That’s a shame. I think I have seen certified gluten free Oatmilk, but it is probably expensive.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024