Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Veganuary 2020 12:16 - Jan 4 with 19459 viewsJ2BLUE

Lets try and keep this civil people. The meat eaters versus vegans thing has been done to death. Most of the board have nothing new to add. If you feel compelled to reply telling us how you're knee deep in chicken wings that is entirely your choice.

Anyone doing it? Just tried the new Costa vegan 'cheese' and 'ham' toastie. I hope they keep it. It's good enough to for me to choose regularly.

Any decent product suggestions? Recipe ideas? etc
[Post edited 5 Jan 2020 13:41]

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Aye on 08:04 - Jan 6 with 954 viewsGlasgowBlue

Aye on 07:58 - Jan 6 by monytowbray

Don’t take me too serious, you lost a few minutes of your life writing that reply ;)

You must have missed the big grin at the end of my post mate. You don’t take kindly to being corrected though do you?

But if I look at the time you have spent on TWTD I’ve the last two weeks compadre with my two solitary pots I would suggest it is you who has wasted far more minutes in here than I.

Anyway, I trust you had a great Christmas or whatever Satanic festival you Corbynites celebrate?
[Post edited 6 Jan 2020 8:05]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Aye on 08:10 - Jan 6 with 944 viewsmonytowbray

Aye on 08:04 - Jan 6 by GlasgowBlue

You must have missed the big grin at the end of my post mate. You don’t take kindly to being corrected though do you?

But if I look at the time you have spent on TWTD I’ve the last two weeks compadre with my two solitary pots I would suggest it is you who has wasted far more minutes in here than I.

Anyway, I trust you had a great Christmas or whatever Satanic festival you Corbynites celebrate?
[Post edited 6 Jan 2020 8:05]

Christmas was good and I’m four weeks booze free. After an awful year of genuinely thinking my life was done and I would never feel like my old self again it’s good to be on the straight and narrow again. Alcohol is not my friend, no one tell Chico.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Aye on 08:15 - Jan 6 with 933 viewsGlasgowBlue

Aye on 08:10 - Jan 6 by monytowbray

Christmas was good and I’m four weeks booze free. After an awful year of genuinely thinking my life was done and I would never feel like my old self again it’s good to be on the straight and narrow again. Alcohol is not my friend, no one tell Chico.

I over did the booze this year so am on the wagon for the foreseeable. I hope 2020 is better for you than 2019 mate.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Veganuary 2019 on 08:23 - Jan 6 with 920 viewsHerbivore

Veganuary 2019 on 06:11 - Jan 6 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Because when you eat with a partner/family it’s much more faff and cost to make a separate vegan meal for one person than it is when you’re making it just for yourself

Which makes it pretty difficult for a large % of the population

Also options have undoubtedly increased across the country there are still far more options in London than small towns across the country quite clearly
[Post edited 6 Jan 2020 6:14]

My partner isn't vegan but we eat the same meals, we don't eat different stuff. Why would we? 80% of the time it's exactly the same meal, 20% she might add some cheese or fish or meat to hers at the end. It's really not that hard.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Veganuary 2019 on 09:36 - Jan 6 with 899 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Veganuary 2019 on 07:13 - Jan 6 by monytowbray

My mate has a vegan 3 year old who has a better pallet and diet than a lot of kids. She loves olives and that’s quite impressive for a child. Nurture is a great thing at such a young age.

That’s great, but a (presumably) vegan parent raising their child as vegan from scratch is a bit different to a currently non-vegan family of 4, isn’t it?

Your other reply accused me of digging my heels in but it’s you that’s doing that IMO - in fact it’s not too dissimilar to when you used to (rightly) disagree with Libero on housing, in that you’ve assumed your circumstances (IIRC being in a relationship with a vegan and no dependents) allowing you to relatively easily make the change means everyone can
[Post edited 6 Jan 2020 9:39]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Veganuary 2019 on 09:42 - Jan 6 with 894 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Veganuary 2019 on 08:23 - Jan 6 by Herbivore

My partner isn't vegan but we eat the same meals, we don't eat different stuff. Why would we? 80% of the time it's exactly the same meal, 20% she might add some cheese or fish or meat to hers at the end. It's really not that hard.

Again that’s a bit different to your average non-vegan family, for whom many staples (eg. stews, casseroles, bolognese, chilli, shepherds pie...) very much involve cooking the meat in the dish...

Potentially assumptive here but I’m guessing you don’t have children, and your relationship has probably worked that way from the outset, rather than suddenly having to either take away some of younger children’s favourite meals or make them twice

Veganuary 2019 on 09:45 - Jan 6 with 894 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Veganuary 2019 on 07:09 - Jan 6 by monytowbray

Families make collective choices to do many things. Go on holiday, eat at the table, etc. I don’t see how it’s any different. Most parents try and ensure their child eats a good diet too. Again, not much different.

I’ve had a great time introducing my daughter to vegan food and showing her different recipes.

Presumably after the family have sat down and all agreed to go vegan, and then eaten their vegan dinner, the children all did a rendition of Auf Wiedersehn goodnight before putting themselves off to bed?

Veganuary 2019 on 09:53 - Jan 6 with 885 viewsmonytowbray

Veganuary 2019 on 09:42 - Jan 6 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Again that’s a bit different to your average non-vegan family, for whom many staples (eg. stews, casseroles, bolognese, chilli, shepherds pie...) very much involve cooking the meat in the dish...

Potentially assumptive here but I’m guessing you don’t have children, and your relationship has probably worked that way from the outset, rather than suddenly having to either take away some of younger children’s favourite meals or make them twice

Whatever you want to think, you think it. I can’t be bothered to have whatteraboutery discussions when I’ve made my points perfectly clear.

There’s still no excuse.

TWTD never forgets…

Login to get fewer ads

Veganuary 2019 on 10:07 - Jan 6 with 862 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Veganuary 2019 on 09:53 - Jan 6 by monytowbray

Whatever you want to think, you think it. I can’t be bothered to have whatteraboutery discussions when I’ve made my points perfectly clear.

There’s still no excuse.

Your points may be clear but I disagree with them as they completely fail to take into account the circumstances of many, I’m afraid

Veganuary 2019 on 10:14 - Jan 6 with 848 viewsitfcjoe

Veganuary 2019 on 09:53 - Jan 6 by monytowbray

There’s still no excuse.

There clearly are excuses and reasons, whether you want to see them or agree with them isn't really the point

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Veganuary 2019 on 10:18 - Jan 6 with 841 viewsmonytowbray

Veganuary 2019 on 10:14 - Jan 6 by itfcjoe

There clearly are excuses and reasons, whether you want to see them or agree with them isn't really the point

They’re lame ones. I’ve stated why. Herbivore has stated having a non vegan partner isn’t hard. Kids eat what their parents give them. Ironic when parents are keen to get their kids eating more veg.

Virtually any food kids typically like (pizza, nuggets, burgers) all have very good vegan alternatives now.

“Thowing meat in a dish” is still possible, just use fake meat. I do it all the time.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2020 10:20]

TWTD never forgets…

Veganuary 2019 on 10:22 - Jan 6 with 831 viewsNewcyBlue

Veganuary 2019 on 10:18 - Jan 6 by monytowbray

They’re lame ones. I’ve stated why. Herbivore has stated having a non vegan partner isn’t hard. Kids eat what their parents give them. Ironic when parents are keen to get their kids eating more veg.

Virtually any food kids typically like (pizza, nuggets, burgers) all have very good vegan alternatives now.

“Thowing meat in a dish” is still possible, just use fake meat. I do it all the time.

Recommend any good cook books then?

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Veganuary 2019 on 10:25 - Jan 6 with 821 viewsmonytowbray

Veganuary 2019 on 10:22 - Jan 6 by NewcyBlue

Bosh is decent. TBF in the day and age of the internet I don’t do cook books. Google is my best friend, bar the tax dodging part.

TWTD never forgets…

Veganuary 2019 on 10:25 - Jan 6 with 819 viewsDanTheMan

Veganuary 2019 on 10:22 - Jan 6 by NewcyBlue

The Bosh books are very good.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Veganuary 2019 on 10:39 - Jan 6 with 795 viewsHerbivore

Veganuary 2019 on 09:42 - Jan 6 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

All of those dishes can be easily made without meat.

Veganuary 2019 on 10:44 - Jan 6 with 786 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Veganuary 2019 on 10:18 - Jan 6 by monytowbray

‘Kids eat what their parents give them’

Absolutely bonkers

Veganuary 2019 on 10:48 - Jan 6 with 769 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Veganuary 2019 on 10:39 - Jan 6 by Herbivore

All of those dishes can be easily made without meat.

Where everyone wants them without meat or just one person?

Veganuary 2019 on 10:49 - Jan 6 with 757 viewsmonytowbray

Veganuary 2019 on 10:44 - Jan 6 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

‘Kids eat what their parents give them’

Absolutely bonkers

I am almost certain you could give an example of any non-vegan food a child would eat and any of the board vegans could give you a fair few alternatives. Chances are they wouldn’t even know they’re not the “real” deal if you didn’t tell them. I knew a woman who had been using Quorn mince in Spag Bol for years and her husband had no idea.

TWTD never forgets…

Veganuary 2019 on 10:52 - Jan 6 with 748 viewsmonytowbray

Veganuary 2019 on 10:48 - Jan 6 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

You really need to see the “vegan replacements have upped their game massively” point on that has been relayed a few times in this thread to get past this barrier.

Go buy some fake M&S chicken chunks and make a chicken casserole or curry with it. If you genuinely don’t think it’s just as normal chicken I’d be surprised.

TWTD never forgets…

Veganuary 2019 on 10:53 - Jan 6 with 744 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Veganuary 2019 on 10:49 - Jan 6 by monytowbray

I am almost certain you could give an example of any non-vegan food a child would eat and any of the board vegans could give you a fair few alternatives. Chances are they wouldn’t even know they’re not the “real” deal if you didn’t tell them. I knew a woman who had been using Quorn mince in Spag Bol for years and her husband had no idea.

Mental

I don’t think one example of quorn mince (which actually I agree is a good substitute although I do find it a lot more grainy than normal mince) is quite the same as how someone would replace their child’s fish fingers or burgers without them noticing though, somehow

Veganuary 2019 on 10:55 - Jan 6 with 735 viewsHerbivore

Veganuary 2019 on 10:48 - Jan 6 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I guess that partly depends on the strength of feeling. If your kids are old enough to feel that strongly about wanting to eat meat then encourage them to cook for themselves, I did when I decided to turn vegetarian.

I guess what I'm saying is it's quite easy to find reasons to not do something you don't actually want to do. Nothing you're raising is remotely insurmountable or even close to it. I've had more than one relationship with a meat eater and it's never been a problem.

Veganuary 2019 on 10:56 - Jan 6 with 730 viewsHerbivore

Veganuary 2019 on 10:53 - Jan 6 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Mental

I don’t think one example of quorn mince (which actually I agree is a good substitute although I do find it a lot more grainy than normal mince) is quite the same as how someone would replace their child’s fish fingers or burgers without them noticing though, somehow

Quorn fishless fingers are pretty good as it goes. And there are loads of more realistic fake burgers on the market now.

Veganuary 2019 on 10:57 - Jan 6 with 729 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Veganuary 2019 on 10:52 - Jan 6 by monytowbray

You really need to see the “vegan replacements have upped their game massively” point on that has been relayed a few times in this thread to get past this barrier.

Go buy some fake M&S chicken chunks and make a chicken casserole or curry with it. If you genuinely don’t think it’s just as normal chicken I’d be surprised.

That maybe so, but you still can’t make a vegan dish for one person and a meat version for the rest of the family without making it twice. Ergo it isn’t as straightforward and easy for anyone to just go vegan, quite obviously

I’m not sure suggesting shopping at the famously cheap and widely available in small towns M&S really helps the cost and convenience argument either

Veganuary 2019 on 10:58 - Jan 6 with 727 viewsmonytowbray

Veganuary 2019 on 10:53 - Jan 6 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Mental

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0EiNaThB8o/?igshid=1hpsqnexgmr9w

Honestly, I’ve tried to explain over and over. I’ve tried giving examples. I am an ex meat eater. I didn’t wake up in this world vegan. I’m not sure what else I can say that qualifies my position as someone experienced in this area vs someone just raising points in regards to things they’ve never tried.

Quorn fish fingers are better than the actual ones. Less slimy and more crispy. Beyond meat burgers are bloody lovely, as are the L Mac ones. I doubt any kid is eating gourmet quality meat burgers and one thing I learned about them when I went vegan is surprisingly condiments do more for the taste of a burger than the patty a lot of the time.

TWTD never forgets…

Veganuary 2019 on 11:00 - Jan 6 with 722 viewsmonytowbray

Veganuary 2019 on 10:57 - Jan 6 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

That maybe so, but you still can’t make a vegan dish for one person and a meat version for the rest of the family without making it twice. Ergo it isn’t as straightforward and easy for anyone to just go vegan, quite obviously

I’m not sure suggesting shopping at the famously cheap and widely available in small towns M&S really helps the cost and convenience argument either

The M&S chicken per pound is no less expensive than actual chicken. And there are even cheaper options out there too, that’s just my personal favourite.

The more you reply on this thread the clearer it is you really should try these things out and see for yourself rather than making hypothetical arguments that have no actual reality.

TWTD never forgets…

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024