Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Veganuary 2020 12:16 - Jan 4 with 19456 viewsJ2BLUE

Lets try and keep this civil people. The meat eaters versus vegans thing has been done to death. Most of the board have nothing new to add. If you feel compelled to reply telling us how you're knee deep in chicken wings that is entirely your choice.

Anyone doing it? Just tried the new Costa vegan 'cheese' and 'ham' toastie. I hope they keep it. It's good enough to for me to choose regularly.

Any decent product suggestions? Recipe ideas? etc
[Post edited 5 Jan 2020 13:41]

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Veganuary 2019 on 21:26 - Jan 5 with 916 viewsmonytowbray

Veganuary 2019 on 20:32 - Jan 5 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Incredible lack of awareness of others situations in your last paragraph there, on both counts

Yes, as a vegan I have no idea how much the diet costs or how easy it is to access. I’m pretty much the last person who has any right to comment on it and your single sentence offering no actual rebuttal has really opened my eyes to the fact I am wrong.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Veganuary 2019 on 21:36 - Jan 5 with 914 viewsReuser_is_God

Veganuary 2019 on 21:26 - Jan 5 by monytowbray

Yes, as a vegan I have no idea how much the diet costs or how easy it is to access. I’m pretty much the last person who has any right to comment on it and your single sentence offering no actual rebuttal has really opened my eyes to the fact I am wrong.

You get so defensive

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Veganuary 2019 on 21:49 - Jan 5 with 899 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Veganuary 2019 on 21:26 - Jan 5 by monytowbray

Yes - easy to access and on cost for you

Not everyone is (I believe) single and lives in London though, as a simple example

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Veganuary 2019 on 21:50 - Jan 5 with 898 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Veganuary 2019 on 21:36 - Jan 5 by Reuser_is_God

You get so defensive

As a vegan Callis is incredibly in tune with how a family of 4 that are short on money lives though
[Post edited 5 Jan 2020 21:50]

Veganuary 2019 on 21:55 - Jan 5 with 892 viewsJ2BLUE

Veganuary 2019 on 21:50 - Jan 5 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

As a vegan Callis is incredibly in tune with how a family of 4 that are short on money lives though

To be fair he does have a point. Not all vegans live on avocados and chia seeds. Many vegan staples such as dried beans, chickpeas, grains etc are very cheap. Add in every supermarket doing cheap offers on different fruit and veg each week, frozen veg etc etc and it can be done very healthily and cheaply. Even cheaper in Lidl, Aldi etc.

As long as people have access to a moderately sized supermarket, cost shouldn't be an issue as long as we're talking about a family who can afford food in the first place.
[Post edited 5 Jan 2020 21:58]

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Veganuary 2019 on 22:00 - Jan 5 with 881 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Veganuary 2019 on 21:55 - Jan 5 by J2BLUE

To be fair he does have a point. Not all vegans live on avocados and chia seeds. Many vegan staples such as dried beans, chickpeas, grains etc are very cheap. Add in every supermarket doing cheap offers on different fruit and veg each week, frozen veg etc etc and it can be done very healthily and cheaply. Even cheaper in Lidl, Aldi etc.

As long as people have access to a moderately sized supermarket, cost shouldn't be an issue as long as we're talking about a family who can afford food in the first place.

It’s still not incredibly easy for an awful lot of people to just go vegan though due to the dynamics of families, which is the point I was largely trying to get across

Good luck with the month btw - fair play for making the effort, for me I don’t think meat would be an effort but dairy would definitely be a bridge too far!

Veganuary 2019 on 22:04 - Jan 5 with 876 viewsfooters

Unfortunately living well (or at least making decent food) as a vegan also comes down to kitchen skills if you don't want to eat the same boring crap. There was a bit of a brain drain post-war with the introduction of supermarkets that saw more Brits weaned on to supermarket/pre-prepared foods instead of cooking fresh. And although I get it's easy enough to search a vegan recipe, many of these skills are still obviously lacking in much of the UK.

That may well be down to laziness as well, but I still contend that being a vegan is much more fun if you know what you're doing with proper food.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Veganuary 2019 on 23:00 - Jan 5 with 832 viewsmonytowbray

Veganuary 2019 on 21:49 - Jan 5 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Yes - easy to access and on cost for you

Not everyone is (I believe) single and lives in London though, as a simple example

What does being single have to do with it?

I am from the countryside and have no issues outside of London. Even easier now as more products roll out.

TWTD never forgets…

Login to get fewer ads

Veganuary 2019 on 23:00 - Jan 5 with 830 viewsmonytowbray

Veganuary 2019 on 21:36 - Jan 5 by Reuser_is_God

You get so defensive

Not really, it was a silly comment.

TWTD never forgets…

Veganuary 2019 on 23:02 - Jan 5 with 828 viewsmonytowbray

Veganuary 2019 on 21:50 - Jan 5 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I made a spag bol for four recently and it cost £3, even less if I had of went with supermarket value products.

Sorry but it’s a nonsense counterpoint.

TWTD never forgets…

Veganuary 2019 on 06:11 - Jan 6 with 787 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Veganuary 2019 on 23:00 - Jan 5 by monytowbray

What does being single have to do with it?

I am from the countryside and have no issues outside of London. Even easier now as more products roll out.

Because when you eat with a partner/family it’s much more faff and cost to make a separate vegan meal for one person than it is when you’re making it just for yourself

Which makes it pretty difficult for a large % of the population

Also options have undoubtedly increased across the country there are still far more options in London than small towns across the country quite clearly
[Post edited 6 Jan 2020 6:14]

Veganuary 2019 on 06:16 - Jan 6 with 782 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Veganuary 2019 on 23:02 - Jan 5 by monytowbray

I made a spag bol for four recently and it cost £3, even less if I had of went with supermarket value products.

Sorry but it’s a nonsense counterpoint.

That’s great in magical world where the whole family, kids and all, have suddenly turned vegan

Veganuary 2019 on 06:27 - Jan 6 with 782 viewsNewcyBlue

Veganuary 2019 on 11:15 - Jan 5 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I’d imagine Thai curries to be pretty good for this sort of thing too given they’re typically done with coconut milk?

I make a mean Vegan Thai Green Curry.

I can’t wait to get home and cook.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Veganuary 2019 on 06:49 - Jan 6 with 771 viewsGaryCooper

'Many vegan staples such as dried beans, chickpeas, grains etc'

Then blame Bovines for the methane killing the planet?
Veganuary 2019 on 06:59 - Jan 6 with 761 viewsmonytowbray

Veganuary 2019 on 06:11 - Jan 6 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Because when you eat with a partner/family it’s much more faff and cost to make a separate vegan meal for one person than it is when you’re making it just for yourself

Which makes it pretty difficult for a large % of the population

Also options have undoubtedly increased across the country there are still far more options in London than small towns across the country quite clearly
[Post edited 6 Jan 2020 6:14]

You’re really digging your heels in on this one but honestly these are little more than poor excuses in 2020. Take it from someone who has no issues anywhere in the UK these days.

TWTD never forgets…

Veganuary 2019 on 07:02 - Jan 6 with 756 viewsmonytowbray

Veganuary 2019 on 06:49 - Jan 6 by GaryCooper

'Many vegan staples such as dried beans, chickpeas, grains etc'

Then blame Bovines for the methane killing the planet?

Facts are friends. https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/2014/7/2/5865109/study-going-vegetarian-could-c

TWTD never forgets…

Veganuary 2019 on 07:03 - Jan 6 with 757 viewsNewcyBlue

Veganuary 2019 on 06:59 - Jan 6 by monytowbray

You’re really digging your heels in on this one but honestly these are little more than poor excuses in 2020. Take it from someone who has no issues anywhere in the UK these days.

My excuse is “I don’t want to”. Anybody that does, good luck to them.

I don’t need an excuse to eat meat. Or to not eat meat.

I am happy eating a wide variety of foods, and some days I do make vegan meals. But that’s only because I enjoy the recipes I have for them.

I still haven’t gotten round to watching Game Changers yet, I’ve read mixed things about it.

As anything, I am trying to find balance. Unfortunately I am not the most stable of people...

Veganuary 2019 on 07:05 - Jan 6 with 755 viewsitfcjoe

Veganuary 2019 on 06:59 - Jan 6 by monytowbray

What about the family point?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Veganuary 2019 on 07:09 - Jan 6 with 747 viewsmonytowbray

Veganuary 2019 on 07:05 - Jan 6 by itfcjoe

What about the family point?

Families make collective choices to do many things. Go on holiday, eat at the table, etc. I don’t see how it’s any different. Most parents try and ensure their child eats a good diet too. Again, not much different.

I’ve had a great time introducing my daughter to vegan food and showing her different recipes.

TWTD never forgets…

Veganuary 2019 on 07:11 - Jan 6 with 742 viewsitfcjoe

Veganuary 2019 on 07:09 - Jan 6 by monytowbray

Families make collective choices to do many things. Go on holiday, eat at the table, etc. I don’t see how it’s any different. Most parents try and ensure their child eats a good diet too. Again, not much different.

I’ve had a great time introducing my daughter to vegan food and showing her different recipes.

I’m sure that is very similar to having two toddlers to feed.....

Regardless it’s difficult to make collective decisions on behalf of other people, and there are certain things it’s next to impossible to take out of the household when you’ve got very young children

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Veganuary 2019 on 07:12 - Jan 6 with 739 viewsmonytowbray

Veganuary 2019 on 07:03 - Jan 6 by NewcyBlue

My excuse is “I don’t want to”. Anybody that does, good luck to them.

I don’t need an excuse to eat meat. Or to not eat meat.

I am happy eating a wide variety of foods, and some days I do make vegan meals. But that’s only because I enjoy the recipes I have for them.

I still haven’t gotten round to watching Game Changers yet, I’ve read mixed things about it.

As anything, I am trying to find balance. Unfortunately I am not the most stable of people...

I don’t want to is a much easier thing to state and something I respect more than excuses designed to ease the conscience. As I’ve said before, I’ve had less issues talking about veganism on here with Texters who outright just doesn’t care (as it saves us taking up each other’s time) than I have with a few posters who claim to be more open to the idea.

I’m very happy TWTD is slowly becoming more vegan friendly though.

TWTD never forgets…

Veganuary 2019 on 07:13 - Jan 6 with 737 viewsmonytowbray

Veganuary 2019 on 07:11 - Jan 6 by itfcjoe

I’m sure that is very similar to having two toddlers to feed.....

Regardless it’s difficult to make collective decisions on behalf of other people, and there are certain things it’s next to impossible to take out of the household when you’ve got very young children

My mate has a vegan 3 year old who has a better pallet and diet than a lot of kids. She loves olives and that’s quite impressive for a child. Nurture is a great thing at such a young age.

TWTD never forgets…

Veganuary 2019 on 07:17 - Jan 6 with 734 viewsNewcyBlue

Veganuary 2019 on 07:12 - Jan 6 by monytowbray

I don’t want to is a much easier thing to state and something I respect more than excuses designed to ease the conscience. As I’ve said before, I’ve had less issues talking about veganism on here with Texters who outright just doesn’t care (as it saves us taking up each other’s time) than I have with a few posters who claim to be more open to the idea.

I’m very happy TWTD is slowly becoming more vegan friendly though.

If you want to talk food, I’m all for it.

I am a massive foodie, I happily experiment with recipes, and could quite easily go vegetarian.

Not vegan though. I respect the choice you have made, you struggled to begin with and persisted. That’s commendable. But the vegan lifestyle isn’t for me. Vegan food is though.

Eireblue introduced me to Tyne Chease and I get a block every leave.

Aye on 07:55 - Jan 6 with 704 viewsGlasgowBlue

Aye on 13:41 - Jan 5 by monytowbray

Actually the Tories being in power causes us the most issues. Most of out best years have been under Labour. Stop voting for rich scum.

May I correct you in this Callis?

Our greatest achievement, winning the league in 1962, came under the Conservative government of Harold Macmillan (who coincidentally was the brother in law of Lady Blanche Cobbold). Macmillan’s Tories were also in power when we won automatic promotion to the old first division the season before.

Our greatest ever season,1981, when we challenged for the treble and won the UEFA Cup, came under the Conservative government of Maggie Thatcher. The following year we were runners up in the league once again.

Our promotion in 1992 came under the Conservative government of John Major.

Under a minority a Labour government propped up by the Liberals and the Ulster Unionists we won the FA Cup we were promoted to the first division in 1967 under Harold Wilson’s Labour government and we won the play off final in 2000 when Tony Blair was PM (who everyone tells me was a Tory).

So:

Tories: Division 3 Champions League Champions 1962, Division 2 Champions 1961, League Champions 1962, UEFA Cup winners 1981, League runners up 1981 and 1982, Division 2 Champions 1992.

Labour: Division 2 Champions 1968, FA Cup winners 1978, promoted via play offs 2000.

Of course ITFC were founded by Tory MP Thomas Cobbold and our greatest successes came under the Directorships of Mr John and Mr Patrick Cobbold, old Etonian Tories.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Aye on 07:58 - Jan 6 with 698 viewsmonytowbray

Aye on 07:55 - Jan 6 by GlasgowBlue

May I correct you in this Callis?

Our greatest achievement, winning the league in 1962, came under the Conservative government of Harold Macmillan (who coincidentally was the brother in law of Lady Blanche Cobbold). Macmillan’s Tories were also in power when we won automatic promotion to the old first division the season before.

Our greatest ever season,1981, when we challenged for the treble and won the UEFA Cup, came under the Conservative government of Maggie Thatcher. The following year we were runners up in the league once again.

Our promotion in 1992 came under the Conservative government of John Major.

Under a minority a Labour government propped up by the Liberals and the Ulster Unionists we won the FA Cup we were promoted to the first division in 1967 under Harold Wilson’s Labour government and we won the play off final in 2000 when Tony Blair was PM (who everyone tells me was a Tory).

So:

Tories: Division 3 Champions League Champions 1962, Division 2 Champions 1961, League Champions 1962, UEFA Cup winners 1981, League runners up 1981 and 1982, Division 2 Champions 1992.

Labour: Division 2 Champions 1968, FA Cup winners 1978, promoted via play offs 2000.

Of course ITFC were founded by Tory MP Thomas Cobbold and our greatest successes came under the Directorships of Mr John and Mr Patrick Cobbold, old Etonian Tories.

Don’t take me too serious, you lost a few minutes of your life writing that reply ;)

TWTD never forgets…

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024