Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The banter era 13:01 - Nov 17 with 12017 viewsBlueRaider

Probably me being dense, but why do some fans refer to the Marcus Evans era as the banter era ?

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

There is no logic on 11:16 - Nov 18 with 2054 viewsDyland

You've posted this recently, so must have just found it on 11:09 - Nov 18 by The_Flashing_Smile

Not all opinions are valid though, especially if they're not based in logic. You are so stuck in your mindset that you actually get angry when anyone challenges it.

Going by your logic, what is the point of managers? You blame the players for lack of effort - if we even put aside for one moment mine and others' belief that that in itself is nonsense - if we accept for one second that that is true, it's still the manager who buys and picks the players, and great managers also instil that effort into players. The current players run through walls for McKenna - that's not just because they were born with a better work ethic than the previous lot.

It's the job of the manager to manage the players. The clue's in the name!

Apparently one isn't allowed to post an opinion if it's contrary to Machers' opinion that Skuse/Chambers was a "parasite", a "disgrace", and "stealing a living". But he's allowed to post his opinion because that's how message boards work.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Poor Chambo… on 11:38 - Nov 18 with 2010 viewsunstableblue

The banter era on 13:45 - Nov 17 by EssexBloo

Not having a right back for nearly a decade.

… a great player and leader

Played out of position for how long?

And regularly left bamboozled by any tricky winger.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Is this a response to my post? on 11:43 - Nov 18 with 1997 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I react with logic - that if it's true those players were frauds and lacked effort (which I dispute) - then it's at least in part the fault of the managers who bought them, picked them and failed to manage them.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Is this a response to my post? on 11:52 - Nov 18 with 1993 viewsDyland

You're welcome to dispute my assertion that Douglas was useless (for us). I won't get angry about my opinion being called out. You keep on saying I don't know how a message board works yet you seem incapable of having a debate without getting (or coming across as) angry.

Have a good weekend!

Yep, some people say he was perfectly fine at RB on 11:54 - Nov 18 with 1984 viewsDyland

Poor Chambo… on 11:38 - Nov 18 by unstableblue

… a great player and leader

Played out of position for how long?

And regularly left bamboozled by any tricky winger.

I disagree!

Is this a response to my post? on 11:57 - Nov 18 with 1984 viewsHerbivore

I don't think he's ill-mannered or a bully, his description of you as rude and abusive is accurate, plenty of people have pulled you up on it over the years, and I seem to recall you going on an outburst referring to a fellow poster as being "scum of the earth" for no good reason recently. There's a reason so many people disagree with you about how you talk about players like Skuse and Chambers, it's because most think your view of them is bobbins. People are entitled to express that opinion, just as you are entitled to express your ridiculous opinion in the first place. Your right to express ridiculous opinions does not carry with it a right for your opinion to be respected though and perhaps you should reflect on how you then respond to others because 90% of the time your tone is aggressive and rude.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2023 11:58]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Is this a response to my post? on 12:16 - Nov 18 with 1961 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Is this a response to my post? on 11:52 - Nov 18 by Dyland

You're welcome to dispute my assertion that Douglas was useless (for us). I won't get angry about my opinion being called out. You keep on saying I don't know how a message board works yet you seem incapable of having a debate without getting (or coming across as) angry.

Have a good weekend!

You have laid into me for an opinion about the player whom you respect and I detest.

Douglas was useless for us? Fine. Your view.
Skuse was a useless sycophant who had been saying things people wanted to hear? Yes he was. My view.

Stop. End of.

Thank you and have a great weekend too.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2023 12:16]
Is this a response to my post? on 12:27 - Nov 18 with 1932 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Is this a response to my post? on 11:57 - Nov 18 by Herbivore

I don't think he's ill-mannered or a bully, his description of you as rude and abusive is accurate, plenty of people have pulled you up on it over the years, and I seem to recall you going on an outburst referring to a fellow poster as being "scum of the earth" for no good reason recently. There's a reason so many people disagree with you about how you talk about players like Skuse and Chambers, it's because most think your view of them is bobbins. People are entitled to express that opinion, just as you are entitled to express your ridiculous opinion in the first place. Your right to express ridiculous opinions does not carry with it a right for your opinion to be respected though and perhaps you should reflect on how you then respond to others because 90% of the time your tone is aggressive and rude.

A hypocrisy of the highest calibre.

Not only football. Lets take your political views and your reactions? Insulting non-stop those 'right wing' bellends or some politicians?

Perhaps you need to reflect on yourself before you insult others.

You have a very short memory in terms of your conduct on here so you're the last person to lecture others.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2023 12:28]
Login to get fewer ads

The banter era on 12:34 - Nov 18 with 1916 viewsClareBlue

Mick having a go at the Ipswich fans was top Banter but Lambert's actual belief that if he just reinvented what we had all seen then we could all enter a delusional world where he lifts the champions league trophy and Ipswich have a plan B when they are 2 down at half time. That's banter.
The banter era on 12:36 - Nov 18 with 1907 viewsMach_foreignBlue

The banter era on 12:34 - Nov 18 by ClareBlue

Mick having a go at the Ipswich fans was top Banter but Lambert's actual belief that if he just reinvented what we had all seen then we could all enter a delusional world where he lifts the champions league trophy and Ipswich have a plan B when they are 2 down at half time. That's banter.

Mccarthys meltdown at Burton. That was hilarious.

Because the goal was scored by the player whom fans wanted to play more.
Is this a response to my post? on 12:39 - Nov 18 with 1904 viewsHerbivore

Is this a response to my post? on 12:27 - Nov 18 by Mach_foreignBlue

A hypocrisy of the highest calibre.

Not only football. Lets take your political views and your reactions? Insulting non-stop those 'right wing' bellends or some politicians?

Perhaps you need to reflect on yourself before you insult others.

You have a very short memory in terms of your conduct on here so you're the last person to lecture others.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2023 12:28]

Just reinforcing my point for me. I'll leave it there.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

You've posted this recently, so must have just found it on 12:43 - Nov 18 with 1898 viewsClareBlue

You've posted this recently, so must have just found it on 15:38 - Nov 17 by Blueschev

Skuse and Chambers were two of the better players we had during what was the worst period in our history. I agree that they are sometimes a little overhyped and I certainly wouldn't describe either as club legends. But both put in a consistent shift over a long period of time and played to the best of their ability.

We're in a much better place now, with better players. I don't know why you're so bothered either way.

That's how I see it. The bar was pretty low for a good few years but not everyone just accepted it. Some tried each week and they were two who would be at the end of a long list of personnel at our club you would have criticised before you got to them.
Is this a response to my post? on 12:43 - Nov 18 with 1892 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Is this a response to my post? on 12:39 - Nov 18 by Herbivore

Just reinforcing my point for me. I'll leave it there.

Your point for you. Fine. Doesn't bother me. Your issue not mine.
The banter era on 12:59 - Nov 18 with 1863 viewsClareBlue

Anyway we have leadership now that doesn't do banter, so all good. The banter years are just nostalgic reminiscence from a bye gone era that will get twisted and exaggerated to suite whatever narrative you want.

Daddy what did you do through the banter years?

Son, I sat there in the stands with a vision that one day firemen in Arizona would see a light and be drawn to finding a unknown place called Ipswich. They would bring gifts of their hard earned money to our club and this would co-inside with an Angel from the North (of Ireland) having a vision for Ipswich Town FC that he saw at the Trafford Centre whilst shopping.

So, daddy, you were basically all on drugs for 10 years

If only
The banter era on 13:20 - Nov 18 with 1842 viewsNBVJohn

The banter era on 13:44 - Nov 17 by Blueschev

Simon Clegg.

Ian Milne
You've posted this recently, so must have just found it on 13:53 - Nov 18 with 1816 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

You've posted this recently, so must have just found it on 15:38 - Nov 17 by Blueschev

Skuse and Chambers were two of the better players we had during what was the worst period in our history. I agree that they are sometimes a little overhyped and I certainly wouldn't describe either as club legends. But both put in a consistent shift over a long period of time and played to the best of their ability.

We're in a much better place now, with better players. I don't know why you're so bothered either way.

They were both probably too old to play in the Championship without any quality around them in 2018 that was the problem, we had a squad of lower level and aging Championship players who were supplemented by a load of League One guff Paul Hurst signed. Players like Toto, Nolan, Edwards, Roberts, Harrison and co were never good enough to play for Ipswich Town. Shambolic transfer business and we were nailed on for relegation from the start. Paul Hurst is not only our worst ever manager but arguably the worst to ever manage in the Championship.
The banter era on 14:15 - Nov 18 with 1797 viewsClareBlue

As my son said at the time 'we have appointed a league one manager who seems to be building a league 1 team'
The banter era on 14:18 - Nov 18 with 1779 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Well done boys.

Came on today to read what should have been a really funny (gallows humour) enjoyable thread, and instead it was a dull argument again about how good or bad our ex-players were.

You lot should just kiss and get it over with. Or jelly wrestle to the death. Whichever turns you on.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

You've posted this recently, so must have just found it on 14:19 - Nov 18 with 1771 viewsMach_foreignBlue

You've posted this recently, so must have just found it on 13:53 - Nov 18 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

They were both probably too old to play in the Championship without any quality around them in 2018 that was the problem, we had a squad of lower level and aging Championship players who were supplemented by a load of League One guff Paul Hurst signed. Players like Toto, Nolan, Edwards, Roberts, Harrison and co were never good enough to play for Ipswich Town. Shambolic transfer business and we were nailed on for relegation from the start. Paul Hurst is not only our worst ever manager but arguably the worst to ever manage in the Championship.

The entire squad didn't even try. They didn't instigate any effort.

The following bleak couple of years in League One told us a lot about that mob.
Shut up you bell on 14:28 - Nov 18 with 1734 viewsDyland

Is this a response to my post? on 11:57 - Nov 18 by Herbivore

:)

You've posted this recently, so must have just found it on 14:45 - Nov 18 with 1693 viewsPortmanteauxcurling

You've posted this recently, so must have just found it on 16:23 - Nov 17 by wkj

You tell him!

Just like your dear Uncle Patrick takes care of problems

Uncle Patrick's gonna be there a while if that's an ants' nest he's trying to get rid of .
The banter era on 15:11 - Nov 18 with 1725 viewsPortmanteauxcurling

Ohhhh !! I've been getting it wrong all this time. I thought that because there were so many COCK-ups during that period that it was called the "BANTAM" era .
You've posted this recently, so must have just found it on 15:43 - Nov 18 with 1672 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

You've posted this recently, so must have just found it on 14:19 - Nov 18 by Mach_foreignBlue

The entire squad didn't even try. They didn't instigate any effort.

The following bleak couple of years in League One told us a lot about that mob.

It was a very poor season, started with Evans cutting the budget and releasing key players, hiring a manager who promptly fell out with the remaining players and then signed third division quality players with a shoestring budget, he gets sacked and replaced by a former arch nemesis who’s allowed to sign a handful of unfit and recently injured players on a shoestring and down we went.
The banter era on 15:55 - Nov 18 with 1636 viewsPhilTWTD

Got rid of a lump of this thread. Not sure it really needed to get quite so aggressive and rude.
You've posted this recently, so must have just found it on 16:02 - Nov 18 with 1594 viewsMach_foreignBlue

You've posted this recently, so must have just found it on 15:43 - Nov 18 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

It was a very poor season, started with Evans cutting the budget and releasing key players, hiring a manager who promptly fell out with the remaining players and then signed third division quality players with a shoestring budget, he gets sacked and replaced by a former arch nemesis who’s allowed to sign a handful of unfit and recently injured players on a shoestring and down we went.

Hurst fell out with some players, they wanted him to get sacked, they got their wish, Lambert came but they still couldn't perform.

They didn't even perform for Cook afterwards.

Says a lot about them.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024