Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Foreign teams you like 10:44 - Mar 6 with 16222 viewsRobTheMonk

Following on from Ajax's win last night, what non-English teams have you taken a liking to?

I've always liked Ajax so was delighted for them last night. Tadic's turn has given me ideas for 5 a side tonight as well (get ready for my 'I got injured last night' post tomorrow haha!).

Atalanta (Serie A) are another that I've really enjoyed watching in recent years. They seem to play some good stuff at the moment.

Foreign teams you like on 11:35 - Mar 6 with 4722 viewssoupytwist

My foreign team is Torino. My wife did her year abroad just south of Turin and I bought a shirt on one of my visits as the colour is fantastic. I then discovered all their history from the late 40s and the Superga disaster, their coach Egri Erbstein etc.
Haven’t managed to get to a game yet, but it’s on the list.
Foreign teams you like on 11:42 - Mar 6 with 4702 viewsSouperJim

Deportivo La Coruna, they play in blue and white and they're focking dynamite. Actually they've struggled a bit in recent years, but they were ripping up La Liga at the same time as we were punching up into the Prem and caught the eye with their pacey attacking football.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Foreign teams you like on 11:43 - Mar 6 with 4701 viewsStourbridgeblue

Rayo Vallecano. The "other" Madrid team.

Poll: What do you want on Sunday?

Foreign teams you like on 11:50 - Mar 6 with 4673 viewsuefacup81

Foreign teams you like on 11:34 - Mar 6 by noggin

This should be all about Fortuna

Not necessarily.

Given their behaviour in the 2011/12 relegation play-off against Hertha BSC, the best I can muster for them is a mild ambivalence.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Foreign teams you like on 11:51 - Mar 6 with 4674 viewsclive_baker

Rather awkwardly in recent years, but since I was a kid we had family friends over in Cologne, so I watched FC Koln a number of times and have a soft spot for them (Fortuna's rivals I know!). They're on a good little run at the moment and look set for promotion back to Bundesliga. A top flight derby with Fortuna will be cool next season.

Always liked Rangers too, heightened more recently by Gerrard and particularly Defoe. Got a lot of time for him after little Bradley. A great role model and I was desperate for him to go and fire Rangers to the title. Maybe next season. Also I have a general dislike for Celtic. Far too much green, robbing us of Bobby Petta, Neil Lennon, general smugness. Don't like them at all.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Foreign teams you like on 12:04 - Mar 6 with 4637 viewsBiGDonnie

Foreign teams you like on 10:48 - Mar 6 by Kieran_Knows

RKC Waalwijk (Dutch second division) for no other reason than having a long term save with them on FM17 (I brought their shirt too).

Other than that, I mainly do just really enjoy watching Dutch and German football. Thankfully the Bundesliga and Bundesliga.2 are on BT, but I was gutted when Sky lost the rights to showing the Eredivisie.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2019 10:49]

Villeareal, Lazio, Real Betis & Valencia - all because of FM.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Foreign teams you like on 12:04 - Mar 6 with 4637 viewsjontysnut

Foreign teams you like on 11:51 - Mar 6 by clive_baker

Rather awkwardly in recent years, but since I was a kid we had family friends over in Cologne, so I watched FC Koln a number of times and have a soft spot for them (Fortuna's rivals I know!). They're on a good little run at the moment and look set for promotion back to Bundesliga. A top flight derby with Fortuna will be cool next season.

Always liked Rangers too, heightened more recently by Gerrard and particularly Defoe. Got a lot of time for him after little Bradley. A great role model and I was desperate for him to go and fire Rangers to the title. Maybe next season. Also I have a general dislike for Celtic. Far too much green, robbing us of Bobby Petta, Neil Lennon, general smugness. Don't like them at all.

I went to Fortuna Koln recently 3rd tier. Great day out, proper social club, beer and sausages on the terrace, friendly people.

Always used to like Ajax from their European cup days and I had a Subbuteo team. Good to see them back
Foreign teams you like on 12:10 - Mar 6 with 4623 viewsTractorCam

Foreign teams you like on 11:35 - Mar 6 by soupytwist

My foreign team is Torino. My wife did her year abroad just south of Turin and I bought a shirt on one of my visits as the colour is fantastic. I then discovered all their history from the late 40s and the Superga disaster, their coach Egri Erbstein etc.
Haven’t managed to get to a game yet, but it’s on the list.

I went to Torino in November, very odd ground. Classic olympic site, I don't know when Turin hosted olympics but must be very old as looked very Colosseum/ roman times on the outside and inside your miles away from the pitch.

If you do go don't wear a Joe Hart shirt!

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Login to get fewer ads

on 12:12 - Mar 6 with 4615 views_

Foreign teams you like on 11:51 - Mar 6 by clive_baker

Foreign teams you like on 12:14 - Mar 6 with 4604 viewsTractorCam

Foreign teams you like on 11:50 - Mar 6 by uefacup81

Not necessarily.

Given their behaviour in the 2011/12 relegation play-off against Hertha BSC, the best I can muster for them is a mild ambivalence.

I presume you mean the pitch invasion? If i remember rightly Fortuna just missed a golden chance to wrap it up completely with about 30 seconds to play when it happened. I would say much more innocent than Hertha fans who were throwing flares on the pitch, presuming this is the incident you're referring too?

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Foreign teams you like on 12:18 - Mar 6 with 4592 viewstextbackup

off to the dam in october with mates, might go to watch ajax if they are at home.

but i cant say i care about any team other than Town. i like watching Man utd (when they are away) on TV, but thats only for their following

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Foreign teams you like on 12:19 - Mar 6 with 4587 viewssoupytwist

Foreign teams you like on 12:10 - Mar 6 by TractorCam

I went to Torino in November, very odd ground. Classic olympic site, I don't know when Turin hosted olympics but must be very old as looked very Colosseum/ roman times on the outside and inside your miles away from the pitch.

If you do go don't wear a Joe Hart shirt!

Turin hosted the winter olympics in 2006 but the stadium is much older according to Wikipedia -

"Constructed in the 1930s, originally known as the "Stadio Municipale" and later the "Stadio Comunale", it was the home of Juventus and Torino until 1990, when it was abandoned in favour of the Stadio delle Alpi. After a sixteen-year stint without Serie A football, the stadium was renovated and renamed the "Stadio Olimpico" on the occasion of the 2006 Winter Olympics. In a reversal of 1990, both Juventus and Torino moved back to the Olimpico, with Juventus using it until the end of the 2010—11 season, and Torino retaining it as their home stadium to the present day."

I imagine the style is a result of when it was built and who was in charge of Italy at the time.

Torino's original stadium, the Filadelfia, fell into disrepair post war but was rebuilt a few years back and now hosts the youth team games and first team training.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2019 12:22]
Foreign teams you like on 12:30 - Mar 6 with 4563 viewsSuperblue95

Mamelodi Sundowns. Fantastic name and will never let you down in an acca

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Foreign teams you like on 12:33 - Mar 6 with 4555 viewsSwansea_Blue

Aberystwyth. Seriously. Used to go and watch them when I lived there for a bit. They're foreign right?

Fenerbahce
Den Haag (if you can get past the colours)
Peru national side
PSV when SBR was there - even had the top at one point

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Foreign teams you like on 12:35 - Mar 6 with 4553 viewsParmigiano

Foreign teams you like on 10:52 - Mar 6 by Marshalls_Mullet

I used to 'follow' Parma when Football Italia was on C4, from memory their team included;

Asprilla
Brolin
Zola
Buffon
Baggio (Dino)
Sensini

What a team!!

And the rest...

Cannavaro
Thuram
Bennarivo
Chiesa
Crespo...

And then later on, Frey, Couto, Nakata, Veron (yes, he was very good once), Adriano, Mutu, Gilardino, Giuseppe Rossi, Giovinco...

Sadly the Parmalat scandal took the club with them. I think it's still the biggest fraud case in European history. They struggled until a few years back when a greedy owner got them stripped of their existence and they had to reform as a new club in Serie D. Losing all their players except one hero, Alessandro Lucarelli, they achieved triple back-to-back promotions and are now back in Serie A. The journey was incredible and certainly not as easy as it sounds (in particular, winning the Serie C play-offs which sees 27 teams competing for one spot in Serie B!).

I guess my name gives away the fact that I'm a pretty big Parma fan but before I get any abuse, Ipswich always have and always will come first for me.
Foreign teams you like on 12:40 - Mar 6 with 4541 viewsParmigiano

And back to the OP: "Atalanta (Serie A) are another that I've really enjoyed watching in recent years. They seem to play some good stuff at the moment."

I studied in Bergamo for a year so went to lots of Atalanta games. Their atmosphere is incredible, one of the best in Italy. Recommend anyone to go in the Curva Nord if you want a party with lots of singing, flags, flares and bangers for 90 minutes.

Don't be surprised to find a row of espresso's lined up at the bar at half time though instead of the usual pints of piss at PR.
Foreign teams you like on 12:58 - Mar 6 with 4515 viewsWeWereZombies

Dukla Prague - for the away kit obviously

Athletico Spizz 80

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Foreign teams you like on 13:03 - Mar 6 with 4511 viewsLuk38644

Have always had a soft spot for Valencia
Foreign teams you like on 13:26 - Mar 6 with 4484 viewsThisIsMyUsername

My 'second team' is Montpellier HSC for no other reasons than having spent several weeks in the city and having gone to two of their home games.

Currently 7th in Ligue 1.

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Foreign teams you like on 13:45 - Mar 6 with 4464 viewsOsborneOneNil

Had an Ajax and a Barca shirt as a kid. Those are my fave.
Foreign teams you like on 13:50 - Mar 6 with 4459 viewsElephantintheRoom

I quite like Bermuda-based Ipswich Town. Or are they based in the Caymans? Nobody seems to know

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Foreign teams you like on 13:50 - Mar 6 with 4458 viewswkj

Granada - Not flash like the other Spanish teams but decent support, and didn't do too badly as a team until recently. Also the Andalusia region of Spain is where i usually go on holiday.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2019 13:51]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Foreign teams you like on 14:17 - Mar 6 with 4426 viewsitfcjoe

Have always liked Ajax, love what they do and how they try and play.

Interest in other teams has come and gone over the years

AC Milan in the Shevchenko days

Real Madrid in the original Ronaldo days

Pafos FC out in Cyprus as holiday there a lot, but never actually watched them as a newish team

Have followed Dortmund loosely at times after I went there in 2006, now Sancho is there am paying them a lot more attention

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Foreign teams you like on 14:26 - Mar 6 with 4402 viewsyogiblue

Ross County
RC Lens
Foreign teams you like on 14:40 - Mar 6 with 4368 viewsclive_baker

Foreign teams you like on 14:26 - Mar 6 by yogiblue

Ross County
RC Lens

Are you called Ross?

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024