Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
World Book Day Book Thread 08:30 - Mar 7 with 8774 viewsSteve_M

What's everyone reading at the moment then? Alternately best book you've read this year?

I'm reading Serhii Plokhy's account of the Chernobyl disaster, it's excellent although not exactly pleasant reading. I'm half-way through, the reactor has exploded and the level of denial from people refusing to accept what they can see is extraordinary.

https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/309/309197/chernobyl/9780141988351.html

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

World Book Day Book Thread on 08:38 - Mar 7 with 3044 viewsartsbossbeard

Always Clive James - Unreliable Memoirs.

Genuine laugh out loud stuff mixed with teen angst and being uncomfortable around the opposite sex. I'm re-reading it again on a long haul in a few weeks.

Currently reading Ashes in the Snow which follows the story of a Lithuanian family caught up in the land grab around WWII, their treason conviction and their expulsion to a labour camp in Siberia. Grim reading.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

World Book Day Book Thread on 08:45 - Mar 7 with 3026 viewsRobTheMonk

I'm reading through The Expanse series for the first time. I've just finished book 3 and I'm really enjoying it.

Whenever I finish one, I read something completly different so not to get burnt out. At the moment it's Big Phil Campions, Fearless. It's not a literary classic by any stretch, but it's an easy read.
World Book Day Book Thread on 08:47 - Mar 7 with 3015 viewsKTBlue

just started 100 years of solitude, which isn't but could be a prelude to the next period of our history.
World Book Day Book Thread on 08:48 - Mar 7 with 3013 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Vietnam, an epic tragedy 1945-1975 by Max Hastings.
Great read if you enjoy well written history.

If You Would Just Let Me Finish by Jeremy Clarkson.
Really enjoy his books though accept he is a marmite character to most people.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

World Book Day Book Thread on 08:52 - Mar 7 with 2996 viewsuefacup81

Currently got two on the go:

Goalless Draws by David Squires is my bedside book:

Hops and Glory by Pete Brown for on the sofa:

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

World Book Day Book Thread on 08:52 - Mar 7 with 2995 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

World Book Day Book Thread on 08:38 - Mar 7 by artsbossbeard

Always Clive James - Unreliable Memoirs.

Genuine laugh out loud stuff mixed with teen angst and being uncomfortable around the opposite sex. I'm re-reading it again on a long haul in a few weeks.

Currently reading Ashes in the Snow which follows the story of a Lithuanian family caught up in the land grab around WWII, their treason conviction and their expulsion to a labour camp in Siberia. Grim reading.

Read the Clive James book on holiday a few years back.
Got some strange looks on the beach guffawing away. Great read.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

World Book Day Book Thread on 09:00 - Mar 7 with 2974 viewsitfcjoe

Reading Nick Cohen - What's Left via your recommendation on a thread a few weeks ago

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

World Book Day Book Thread on 09:08 - Mar 7 with 2957 viewsgiant_stow

Just dropped my boy off at school - being the son of an obsessive and being into arsenal, he's got a home made arsenal shirt for a costume and the arsenal annual as his book.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Login to get fewer ads

World Book Day Book Thread on 09:08 - Mar 7 with 2946 viewschicoazul

Im re-reading The Brothers Karamazov. That Grushenka, shes a cheeky one I tell ya.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

World Book Day Book Thread on 09:09 - Mar 7 with 2946 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

A thread on TWTD about WBD

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

World Book Day Book Thread on 09:14 - Mar 7 with 2933 viewsBlueBadger

World Book Day Book Thread on 09:08 - Mar 7 by giant_stow

Just dropped my boy off at school - being the son of an obsessive and being into arsenal, he's got a home made arsenal shirt for a costume and the arsenal annual as his book.

Should have thought slightly laterally and said he was going as Nick Hornby in 'Fever Pitch'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

World Book Day Book Thread on 09:18 - Mar 7 with 2920 viewsgiant_stow

World Book Day Book Thread on 09:14 - Mar 7 by BlueBadger

Should have thought slightly laterally and said he was going as Nick Hornby in 'Fever Pitch'.

Bollox, if I read books, I might have thought of that one!

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

World Book Day Book Thread on 09:24 - Mar 7 with 2902 viewsBlueBadger

World Book Day Book Thread on 09:18 - Mar 7 by giant_stow

Bollox, if I read books, I might have thought of that one!

You can use a Kindle nowadays and not have to worry about the extra digit making it harder to turn pages.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

World Book Day Book Thread on 09:25 - Mar 7 with 2899 viewsfactual_blue

I hope you put 'Osborne 1-0' on the back as his number.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

World Book Day Book Thread on 09:26 - Mar 7 with 2892 viewsBlueBadger

I've been through a few pretty heavy things this year, so I'm currently reading 'The Devastation of Baal', which is a Warhammer 40,000 spin-off novel. It's good, daft, mindless fun but I can feel my virginity growing back as I read it.

My personal 'book of all time' is 'Dangerous Parking' by Stuart Brown. There's a lovely article about it here:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2001/mar/18/books.generalfiction

World Book Day Book Thread on 09:28 - Mar 7 with 2882 viewsgiant_stow

World Book Day Book Thread on 09:25 - Mar 7 by factual_blue

I hope you put 'Osborne 1-0' on the back as his number.

Brutes

World Book Day Book Thread on 09:32 - Mar 7 with 2867 viewsBlueBadger

World Book Day Book Thread on 09:28 - Mar 7 by giant_stow

Brutes

Oh come now Ullers, you're far more of a Town fan than Redacted of North Essex is.

Well, you certainly seem to hate ITFC less than he does, anyway.

World Book Day Book Thread on 09:37 - Mar 7 with 2861 viewsfactual_blue

World Book Day Book Thread on 09:32 - Mar 7 by BlueBadger

Oh come now Ullers, you're far more of a Town fan than Redacted of North Essex is.

Well, you certainly seem to hate ITFC less than he does, anyway.

...Plus the Arsenal fans at his school won't even know Arsenal lost in a cup final.

World Book Day Book Thread on 09:38 - Mar 7 with 2860 viewsBlueBadger

World Book Day Book Thread on 09:37 - Mar 7 by factual_blue

...Plus the Arsenal fans at his school won't even know Arsenal lost in a cup final.

They used to make quite the habit of it, back in the day.

World Book Day Book Thread on 09:39 - Mar 7 with 2860 viewsfactual_blue

World Book Day Book Thread on 09:38 - Mar 7 by BlueBadger

They used to make quite the habit of it, back in the day.

Ah, but our cup final victory was fourteen years BFE (before football existed).

World Book Day Book Thread on 09:44 - Mar 7 with 2852 viewsFixed_It

Social Services referral number two on it's way...

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

World Book Day Book Thread on 09:45 - Mar 7 with 2847 viewsSikamikanico

Always have 2 or 3 books on the go - old habit from when I was a kid. Currently reading:

The Tommyknockers by Stephen King - not his best but have not read it for a few years and I enjoy it.

John Wark's autobiography

The complete works of HP Lovecraft - Christmas present and a large number of short stories so good for when I only have a short time.
World Book Day Book Thread on 09:58 - Mar 7 with 2822 viewsfactual_blue

World Book Day Book Thread on 09:24 - Mar 7 by BlueBadger

You can use a Kindle nowadays and not have to worry about the extra digit making it harder to turn pages.

Or 'Devil make page appear by magic', as they say in norfolk. Then there's the literacy issue to confront.

World Book Day Book Thread on 10:05 - Mar 7 with 2806 viewssoupytwist

I'm reading Radical Essex which is a collection of essays about some of the less-known innovations and creativity of my home county. It’s good, if you like social history.
World Book Day Book Thread on 10:07 - Mar 7 with 2799 viewsgiant_stow

World Book Day Book Thread on 09:44 - Mar 7 by Fixed_It

Social Services referral number two on it's way...

No doubt questions will be asked.

Badger, I stopped hating you lot a while back, replaced first by indifference and now mirth-tinged pity.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024