Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Not sure what to expect on Saturday 18:23 - Feb 8 with 3340 viewsDubtractor

West Brom are clearly a decent team, though their away form is actually not great at all.

They utterly dominated us in the away fixture. That and Leeds away are the only 2 games we've been properly outplayed. They are a team that can throttle games - despite a bad away record, they've only let in 16 goals on their travels.

We've clearly not been on a great run, but we saw the difference Moore can make on Saturday, and with a full week on the training ground we'll have got him more in tune with our game.

We could see us get properly back on track, or it could be horribly frustrating.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Not sure what to expect on Saturday on 18:37 - Feb 8 with 2824 viewsHerbivore

We desperately need to not go behind early. If we do it's going to be a tough old slog and it will get very nervy. If we can get an early-ish goal ourselves then I think it's a game we could actually win handily and send a bit of a message, not a thrashing by any means but a win by a couple of goals that feels pretty comfortable. Their away record isn't good and whilst they're well organised, I wonder how effective they'll be if they are the ones having to push for a goal.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Not sure what to expect on Saturday on 18:42 - Feb 8 with 2789 viewsFrimleyBlue

Be nice to see organised and not go all out in the first 15 whilst leaving gaping holes at the back.

Let's just concentrate. See what brom are doing compared to what we've trained for and then get into our own game.

Whilst we've shown desire to come from behind alot this season.. you just can't keep doing it.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Not sure what to expect on Saturday on 18:45 - Feb 8 with 2785 viewsDubtractor

Not sure what to expect on Saturday on 18:37 - Feb 8 by Herbivore

We desperately need to not go behind early. If we do it's going to be a tough old slog and it will get very nervy. If we can get an early-ish goal ourselves then I think it's a game we could actually win handily and send a bit of a message, not a thrashing by any means but a win by a couple of goals that feels pretty comfortable. Their away record isn't good and whilst they're well organised, I wonder how effective they'll be if they are the ones having to push for a goal.

Agree with both you and Frimmers. Absolutely vital we don't concede early, partly because west brom will kill the game, but the crowd will get restless, and players must get affected mentally by things that keep happening like early goals.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Not sure what to expect on Saturday on 19:46 - Feb 8 with 2582 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

It's a game we really need to win to reestablish some momentum.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Not sure what to expect on Saturday on 20:23 - Feb 8 with 2472 viewsMullet

Last time I checked they're on a dreadful form for away games. We are in dreadful form generally. Albeit you can argue we played well at PNE for the last half of football.

I'd like to see Travis and Morsy start and us have a bit steel in the middle to stamp ourselves onto the game. Would take a gritty 1-0 right now but I just don't think that's how McKenna rolls.

He is incredibly systematic/principle led and that might have cost us points but it's won us hell and all more.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Not sure what to expect on Saturday on 06:25 - Feb 9 with 2183 viewsPioneerBlue

Football momentum.

I’m not at all confident about this one only based on recent 8-10 game form and the previous games v Maidstone, Preston and WBA. If the last game v WBA was a one off where everything WBA tried worked ok great, if the last game v WBA means we approach this game differently ok great. I don’t see the last point coming through which means we have to have learnt and play much better. Except the advantage WBA maximised was strength power and a organised man for man press. This last point has been a challenge a lot lately. Moore might be part of the answer to counter it.

I go into this one hoping for best but expecting no more than a draw (a win and we are back up and running). If that is the case performance is very important to carry that into coming games, now is the moment that we either revert to the position we were always likely to end up in or we press home the first half season advantage and finish in a way we can dreamt about. It’s in the balance.

Coyb

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Not sure what to expect on Saturday on 09:36 - Feb 9 with 1973 viewspointofblue

Not sure what to expect on Saturday on 20:23 - Feb 8 by Mullet

Last time I checked they're on a dreadful form for away games. We are in dreadful form generally. Albeit you can argue we played well at PNE for the last half of football.

I'd like to see Travis and Morsy start and us have a bit steel in the middle to stamp ourselves onto the game. Would take a gritty 1-0 right now but I just don't think that's how McKenna rolls.

He is incredibly systematic/principle led and that might have cost us points but it's won us hell and all more.

Performance wise, are we looking dreadful though? We played well against Sunderland, did excellently in the second half against Leicester, battered Maidstone and, no offence to them, their win was a fluke whilst the second half against Preston showed shape and fight. Out of the last four games, two halves rung alarm bells and out of those, Leicester was somewhat understandable whilst Preston benefited from an awful referee.

1 win in eight, two in ten, is a poor return, but I think we have been "finding our feet" again of late. Just have to convert it into goals. And surely the opposition won't continue the current trend of scoring with every shot on target.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Not sure what to expect on Saturday on 10:55 - Feb 9 with 1862 viewsSwansea_Blue

The reverse fixture scarred me. It's weird how some teams just have their bogey sides - that game was men against boys and I just hope they haven't got us sussed and don't repeat the performance on Saturday.

Hopefully it'll be a different proposition for us at home. Hopefully...

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Not sure what to expect on Saturday on 11:00 - Feb 9 with 1850 viewsHerbivore

Not sure what to expect on Saturday on 10:55 - Feb 9 by Swansea_Blue

The reverse fixture scarred me. It's weird how some teams just have their bogey sides - that game was men against boys and I just hope they haven't got us sussed and don't repeat the performance on Saturday.

Hopefully it'll be a different proposition for us at home. Hopefully...

It was one of those where we gifted them goals at bad times. First half we struggled but they weren't battering us, it was a tight game they were ahead in from a set piece (conceded early again). Then we actually started brightly second half for about 2 minutes, won a corner and they scored from the counter and after that they controlled it and shut the game down, picking us off with the odd good break as well. Not sure they are a bogey side necessarily, just think they are tough to play against when you give them a lead as they are very well organised and good at closing the game down in those situations.

Not sure what to expect on Saturday on 11:06 - Feb 9 with 1827 viewsportmanking

I think we've got a real chance tomorrow. The Baggies have suffered some injuries in wrong areas and are going to be a lot less physical than they were in the reverse fixture.

Missing Ajayi, DIangana, Molumby and Matt Phillips.

If we get the first goal I back us to go on and win by two or three tomorrow.
Not sure what to expect on Saturday on 11:10 - Feb 9 with 1811 viewsBseaBlue

Not sure what to expect on Saturday on 11:06 - Feb 9 by portmanking

I think we've got a real chance tomorrow. The Baggies have suffered some injuries in wrong areas and are going to be a lot less physical than they were in the reverse fixture.

First goal is vital tomorrow. As Herbz and Frimmers have said, we cannot afford to let them in early.

Now we have the Moore option, I do wonder whether we may be slightly more direct for the first 15 minutes or so and then try the possession trap once they have tired slightly.
Not sure what to expect on Saturday on 11:13 - Feb 9 with 1801 viewsHerbivore

Those are some big players missing for them. Didn't realise they had so many injuries. Really does feel like a game that could get us right back on track. My biggest worry is that we seem to be cursed in 12.30 kick offs.

Not sure what to expect on Saturday on 11:15 - Feb 9 with 1782 viewsunstableblue

Not sure what to expect on Saturday on 09:36 - Feb 9 by pointofblue

Performance wise, are we looking dreadful though? We played well against Sunderland, did excellently in the second half against Leicester, battered Maidstone and, no offence to them, their win was a fluke whilst the second half against Preston showed shape and fight. Out of the last four games, two halves rung alarm bells and out of those, Leicester was somewhat understandable whilst Preston benefited from an awful referee.

1 win in eight, two in ten, is a poor return, but I think we have been "finding our feet" again of late. Just have to convert it into goals. And surely the opposition won't continue the current trend of scoring with every shot on target.

Don't disagree.

What McKenna consistently delivers are good performances and displays. I'd say Stoke was the one where we didn't turn up, the performance was below par and we missed a really good opportunity. No complaints about Sunderland Leicester displays. Maidstone a freak match.

But the results are a concern, really dropped off the pace. And that's why Saturday becomes key.. good performances and poor results can in time become poor performances and poor results.

For me the reason we've dropped away:

- the playing out from the back has got a bit error strewn, and we've gifted opportunities
- Hirst injury really caught up with us
- Broadhead's form has nosedived

We're all hoping the introduction of Moore/Ali, Sarmiento plus a Broadhead returning to form, and the return of Burgess, and the Travis option can fix the slump. And get back to good performances and good results.

I'll say it yet again, tomorrow feels a watershed match, following a week on the grass with the new recruits. And the crowd are a huge factor. If we turn up, we can make the difference, and move those fine margins.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Not sure what to expect on Saturday on 11:17 - Feb 9 with 1770 viewsunstableblue

Not sure what to expect on Saturday on 11:13 - Feb 9 by Herbivore

Those are some big players missing for them. Didn't realise they had so many injuries. Really does feel like a game that could get us right back on track. My biggest worry is that we seem to be cursed in 12.30 kick offs.

Who's missing for them Herbie?

Do you think Burgess will start for us?

On a scale of 1 to 10 (with 10 being very important) how important are the Portman Road home crowd going to be?

Questions questions

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Not sure what to expect on Saturday on 11:17 - Feb 9 with 1771 viewsITFC_Forever

And they're missing Sarmiento from the game against us in November.

(Seem to remember he came on as sub?)

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Not sure what to expect on Saturday on 11:17 - Feb 9 with 1770 viewsportmanking

Not sure what to expect on Saturday on 11:13 - Feb 9 by Herbivore

Josh Maja is out for the season too, he came on and caused us problems in the second half, I recall.

They basically have Thomas-Asante as their sole focal point for tomorrow.

Daryl Dike coming back to full fitness on the bench and the veteran Andy Weimann.
Not sure what to expect on Saturday on 14:55 - Feb 9 with 1570 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Not sure what to expect on Saturday on 11:17 - Feb 9 by portmanking

Josh Maja is out for the season too, he came on and caused us problems in the second half, I recall.

They basically have Thomas-Asante as their sole focal point for tomorrow.

Daryl Dike coming back to full fitness on the bench and the veteran Andy Weimann.

Very good player at this level Weimann.

The sort of player you don't want the ball dropping too in a nice area.

But certainly not most the fearsome frontline we have faced.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Not sure what to expect on Saturday on 16:31 - Feb 9 with 1499 viewsMullet

Not sure what to expect on Saturday on 11:17 - Feb 9 by ITFC_Forever

And they're missing Sarmiento from the game against us in November.

(Seem to remember he came on as sub?)

Part of a triple sub in the 71st minute

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Not sure what to expect on Saturday on 16:34 - Feb 9 with 1490 viewstextbackup

Hope I’m wrong, but I see them being too hard for us to break down more often than not.
Going for a 1-1

But we really do need a win, because we’ve hit a horrible patch of results

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Not sure what to expect on Saturday on 16:44 - Feb 9 with 1450 views_clive_baker_

It was men against boys at the Hawthorns wasn't it. We started terribly and never got going, but it happens. I don't think that's necessarily an indication of how tomorrow will go. A win would be huge and no doubt invigorating after a patchy few weeks. Not just in terms of results but performances, cup distractions, injuries and suspensions and a few new faces coming in.

Feels like a bit of a reset, time to draw a line under what's got us here and go again for the final 17 league games. Win more than 10 of them and we'll give ourselves a real sniff of the top 2, albeit I make the playoffs a more likely outcome. You never know though, we've put ourselves in a position where we've got a chance.
Not sure what to expect on Saturday on 16:51 - Feb 9 with 1423 viewsSwansea_Blue

Not sure what to expect on Saturday on 11:00 - Feb 9 by Herbivore

It was one of those where we gifted them goals at bad times. First half we struggled but they weren't battering us, it was a tight game they were ahead in from a set piece (conceded early again). Then we actually started brightly second half for about 2 minutes, won a corner and they scored from the counter and after that they controlled it and shut the game down, picking us off with the odd good break as well. Not sure they are a bogey side necessarily, just think they are tough to play against when you give them a lead as they are very well organised and good at closing the game down in those situations.

Ah ok, I'm taking the positives from how you saw then. It's weird - I get highly critical of us when we're a bit off, but probably wouldn't even notice if it was another team. You're right, the flow of the game played into their hands as they did look able to pick us off with ease as we had to commit more forward.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Not sure what to expect on Saturday on 16:55 - Feb 9 with 1400 viewsMK1

We will return the compliment with a 2-0 Home win.
Not sure what to expect on Saturday on 17:42 - Feb 9 with 1346 viewsNthQldITFC

Not sure what to expect on Saturday on 18:42 - Feb 8 by FrimleyBlue

Be nice to see organised and not go all out in the first 15 whilst leaving gaping holes at the back.

Let's just concentrate. See what brom are doing compared to what we've trained for and then get into our own game.

Whilst we've shown desire to come from behind alot this season.. you just can't keep doing it.

Yup. We must stick to our way of playing and be brave on the ball to create the space to play, but only after 10-15 minutes of being a little more circumspect - especially as we can bang it up to big Keith early on anyway!

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Not sure what to expect on Saturday on 18:03 - Feb 9 with 1301 viewswhymark4lazio0

Not sure what to expect on Saturday on 17:42 - Feb 9 by NthQldITFC

Yup. We must stick to our way of playing and be brave on the ball to create the space to play, but only after 10-15 minutes of being a little more circumspect - especially as we can bang it up to big Keith early on anyway!

When we're playing out from the back and being pressed I can see Moore pulling to the left and bullying the right-back- the Steve Whitton tactic. Burns is good in the air so he offers an alternative on the right. If the centre-back(s) follow Moore that gives Burns (and others- esp Al-Hamadi when he comes on) the option to burst through the middle.

Poll: Should these Polls show number of votes as well as percentages?

Not sure what to expect on Saturday on 18:15 - Feb 9 with 1285 viewsNthQldITFC

Not sure what to expect on Saturday on 18:03 - Feb 9 by whymark4lazio0

When we're playing out from the back and being pressed I can see Moore pulling to the left and bullying the right-back- the Steve Whitton tactic. Burns is good in the air so he offers an alternative on the right. If the centre-back(s) follow Moore that gives Burns (and others- esp Al-Hamadi when he comes on) the option to burst through the middle.

Yes, I think that's a good idea too, and in defence I can also see Moore pressing mainly from centre to a little left with Burns doing some of the higher pressing on th right, to save Moore a little work compared with how Hirst would press both sides.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024