Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If the Simms rumours are correct 20:22 - Jul 6 with 14244 viewsTalkingBlues

and we’ve been outbid by Coventry, who came to the party after us (I know we were in pole position and we’re very keen) there’s some questions to be asked about our trading policy. You have to admire not wanting to be held to ransom, but equally if you really want a target, as a Champ club known to have money and are after a striker on the books of a premier league club, you can expect to have stiff competition and a premium price tag.

This is not a good look for the recruitment team (if accurate) or Ashton and makes me a little nervous for further targets of any quality.

Nothing confirmed yet of course, let’s see.

Poll: Is it wrong to take more pleasure from seeing Germany lose, than England win

If the Simms rumours are correct on 20:56 - Jul 6 with 2335 viewsthe_toff

We don't have an infinite amount of money, there's clearly a structure in place and a price we would've been prepared to pay for Simms. It seems like he's gone for way more than that, time will tell if that proves value for Cov, good luck to them and they're reinvesting funds, but rather than bemoaning it (or in your case I suspect budgie trolling) I take comfort that the club is being run in a sustainable way and considerate of the long term financial implications of sticking 5-10 million on the table for a bloke that's scored a handful of goals at this level.
[Post edited 6 Jul 2023 20:57]
If the Simms rumours are correct on 20:56 - Jul 6 with 2330 viewsitfcsuth

Wouldn’t have paid more than £1.5M for him anyway - very happy we haven’t got anywhere near the £6M-£8M figure banded which seems outrageous.

I’ve spoken to somebody who I’m close with who works at Everton, and has done for well over a decade! He said he’s staggered by the numbers being banded about and that Dyche does not rate him at all - opted to use a winger ahead of him last year.
If the Simms rumours are correct on 21:02 - Jul 6 with 2279 viewsDarkHorse

You'd be the first one moaning if we splashed 7M on him.
If the Simms rumours are correct on 21:14 - Jul 6 with 2235 viewsStewart27

This is a terrible post even by your very low standards.

Do we just outbid everybody for everything? Is that even a strategy?
If the Simms rumours are correct on 21:16 - Jul 6 with 2226 viewsStewart27

If the Simms rumours are correct on 20:31 - Jul 6 by FrimleyBlue

You actually counting academy punts as first team signings?

I think he’s talking about the 5 first team signings we’ve made since January.
If the Simms rumours are correct on 21:21 - Jul 6 with 2203 viewscressi

Said as somebody else did for that money rather have Hirst and Yates, yes Hirst to prove his a championship striker but we no what he brings to party and Yates fairly consistent over 3 seasons in a very average Blackpool side.
If the Simms rumours are correct on 21:40 - Jul 6 with 2130 viewsN2_Blue

If the Simms rumours are correct on 21:21 - Jul 6 by cressi

Said as somebody else did for that money rather have Hirst and Yates, yes Hirst to prove his a championship striker but we no what he brings to party and Yates fairly consistent over 3 seasons in a very average Blackpool side.

I really don’t get the fuss over Simms?

Granted he seemed to have a reasonable loan at Sunderland but the only football I saw him play were a few substitute appearances for Everton and in some of those he looked awful. A good goal v Chelsea and everyone seems to think he is top striker. He may well end up being so but at anything more than 3 or 4 million, no thanks.

Dyche clearly doesn’t rate him and he seems a pretty good judge of player.

The worry is this mess numbers may get banded about for Hirst, Surridge etc. I can’t see Town paying out much more than 3 - 4 million for a striker

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

If the Simms rumours are correct on 22:05 - Jul 6 with 2064 viewsArchiRob

If the Simms rumours are correct on 20:56 - Jul 6 by itfcsuth

Wouldn’t have paid more than £1.5M for him anyway - very happy we haven’t got anywhere near the £6M-£8M figure banded which seems outrageous.

I’ve spoken to somebody who I’m close with who works at Everton, and has done for well over a decade! He said he’s staggered by the numbers being banded about and that Dyche does not rate him at all - opted to use a winger ahead of him last year.

You have to admire the way Everton has talked up his value over the last few weeks, despite seeming desperate to be rid of him in the way they have hawked him around.
Time will tell his true value, but Coventry haven't done the Championship any favors with this.
Login to get fewer ads

If the Simms rumours are correct on 22:17 - Jul 6 with 2041 viewsGuthrum

I would say our trading policy was completely up the spout if we end up paying a fee several times what the club evidently thinks a player is worth. That would be horrendous negotiation.

No amount of sweet talking to the player is going to entice his parent club to sell to you rather than a rival offering double that. Nor sell-on clauses which may never be realised.

Everton need money now. They have a relegation battle to avoid and a stadium to finish. Plus quite possibly former managers to continue paying off.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

If the Simms rumours are correct on 22:24 - Jul 6 with 2006 viewsDubtractor

If the Simms rumours are correct on 20:25 - Jul 6 by J2BLUE

I don't believe he was ever close to the top of our list to be honest. Of course it suits you to suggest he was as that allows you to have yet another dig.

I'm being reminded why I had them blocked for half of last season - just relentless negative takes, so tedious.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

If the Simms rumours are correct on 22:27 - Jul 6 with 1995 viewsxrayspecs

Just do one. You are either a troll or not fir for social media. Blocked
If the Simms rumours are correct on 22:33 - Jul 6 with 1978 viewsNutkins_Return

One of the worst takes I've read on here since "McKenna a bit smarmy" or something like that.
If the Simms rumours are correct on 22:38 - Jul 6 with 1963 viewsVegtablue

Someone's put their silly hat on today!

I believe he was the top target but unaffordable, given the 'sustainability' rules we must all abide by. We don't have a saleable asset close to Coventry's duo. Few clubs do!
If the Simms rumours are correct on 22:57 - Jul 6 with 1927 viewsjayessess

We had a thread about Simms a while back and after a long discussion about whether £3.5m was good value, Phil came in and said the club didn't value him at anywhere near that. If Coventry have gone up to £8m, unless more than half of it is add-ons they've been absolutely mugged by Everton.

More broadly, I can't see how we sustain a transfer strategy where we're writing cheques for £5m+ for players with half a good season in the Championship. Seems like a recipe to dig an FFP hole that we can't get out of.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

If the Simms rumours are correct on 23:26 - Jul 6 with 1848 viewsSwansea_Blue

If the Simms rumours are correct on 22:57 - Jul 6 by jayessess

We had a thread about Simms a while back and after a long discussion about whether £3.5m was good value, Phil came in and said the club didn't value him at anywhere near that. If Coventry have gone up to £8m, unless more than half of it is add-ons they've been absolutely mugged by Everton.

More broadly, I can't see how we sustain a transfer strategy where we're writing cheques for £5m+ for players with half a good season in the Championship. Seems like a recipe to dig an FFP hole that we can't get out of.

2nd para spot on. You only have to look at the transfer business in this league over the last couple of years to see that £7M or so is unrealistic for a team like us. The only clubs in this division who can afford to splash out over £3-4M on players are those with parachute payments, those who’ve sold players for a bigger sum or teams overspending and flirting with a FFP fine.

I’m not sure everyone realises how difficult the finances are in this division. There’s very little money floating around for fees. The income isn’t enough considering how inflated wages are.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

If the Simms rumours are correct on 00:15 - Jul 7 with 1776 viewsIllinoisblue

Also this you utter cretin:

Announced Ellis Simms yet? by TalkingBlues 19 Jun 2023 17:31
No? Coming soon to TWTD, first signing of the season is on board, paperwork job now 👍

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

If the Simms rumours are correct on 01:53 - Jul 7 with 1699 viewsitfcsuth

If the Simms rumours are correct on 22:05 - Jul 6 by ArchiRob

You have to admire the way Everton has talked up his value over the last few weeks, despite seeming desperate to be rid of him in the way they have hawked him around.
Time will tell his true value, but Coventry haven't done the Championship any favors with this.

From my perspective Coventry have massively over paid if the figure of £6M-£8M is correct.

Everton certainly were ok to see him go from a managerial perspective - like I said, Dyche not a fan at all - but the owner of course wants to maximise the transfer fee.
If the Simms rumours are correct on 08:33 - Jul 7 with 1548 viewsitfcjoe

I think it might be a bit of a wake up call when a player we clearly targetted is going to Coventry - not one of the parachute payment teams who throw money around like it's water.

Coventry, barely had a stadium for last decade, not a pot to P in, had one excellent season and then allows them to spend that sort of money.

I don't think there will be a panic as yet, but clearly finding it difficult to get strikers in (amongst others?) if it sees us going to Austria with Ladapo and Jackson as our 2 number 9s.

Long way to go until start of season, and then end of window, but it's going to be an uncomfortable few weeks for Ashton and the like it seems

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

If the Simms rumours are correct on 08:33 - Jul 7 with 1537 viewsBiGDonnie

This isn't a good look for you, numbnuts.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

If the Simms rumours are correct on 08:36 - Jul 7 with 1531 viewsMattinLondon

If the Simms rumours are correct on 08:33 - Jul 7 by itfcjoe

I think it might be a bit of a wake up call when a player we clearly targetted is going to Coventry - not one of the parachute payment teams who throw money around like it's water.

Coventry, barely had a stadium for last decade, not a pot to P in, had one excellent season and then allows them to spend that sort of money.

I don't think there will be a panic as yet, but clearly finding it difficult to get strikers in (amongst others?) if it sees us going to Austria with Ladapo and Jackson as our 2 number 9s.

Long way to go until start of season, and then end of window, but it's going to be an uncomfortable few weeks for Ashton and the like it seems

But according to rumours they are about to sell their main striker for close to £20 million. Do with that revenue, plus the fact that they only just missed out on promotion to the playoffs then it’s not that surprising. After all, when broken down, to many we’re just a newly promoted club.
If the Simms rumours are correct on 08:44 - Jul 7 with 1502 viewsRopeyAdvice

Looks to me like the Ipswich interest was over publicized and hyped up in order to push the price up for Everton. They knew Coventry were getting the Gyokeres money so would be good for it..
If the Simms rumours are correct on 08:46 - Jul 7 with 1501 viewsitfcjoe

If the Simms rumours are correct on 08:36 - Jul 7 by MattinLondon

But according to rumours they are about to sell their main striker for close to £20 million. Do with that revenue, plus the fact that they only just missed out on promotion to the playoffs then it’s not that surprising. After all, when broken down, to many we’re just a newly promoted club.

I get that, I just think maybe there was an expectation that we'd be able to compete with most clubs in this league outside the PPs (i.e. the next rung down of Coventry, Bristol City, Blackburn, Sunderland).

Guess the difference last year was we had no-one to compete with, we were the only L1 option - fee reported for Simms is £3.5m up front

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

If the Simms rumours are correct on 08:47 - Jul 7 with 1493 viewsFrimleyBlue

im still surprised Hirst wasn't signed immediately after the season finished with discussions being done towards end of season.

Simms im not overly bothered about as he doesn't look the most mobile of players. BUT i'd like see someone in before we go to Austria.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

If the Simms rumours are correct on 08:48 - Jul 7 with 1490 viewsglasso

Give over. What if Everton ask £50m? We should pay it or else we're not showing ambition?!

Good recruitment is identifying targets and getting them for the price you want to pay/think they're worth. Anything outside of that is bad recruitment
If the Simms rumours are correct on 08:50 - Jul 7 with 1483 viewsSitfcB

Surely you wouldn’t have wanted us to pay £8mill though?

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024