Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If the Simms rumours are correct 20:22 - Jul 6 with 14245 viewsTalkingBlues

and we’ve been outbid by Coventry, who came to the party after us (I know we were in pole position and we’re very keen) there’s some questions to be asked about our trading policy. You have to admire not wanting to be held to ransom, but equally if you really want a target, as a Champ club known to have money and are after a striker on the books of a premier league club, you can expect to have stiff competition and a premium price tag.

This is not a good look for the recruitment team (if accurate) or Ashton and makes me a little nervous for further targets of any quality.

Nothing confirmed yet of course, let’s see.

Poll: Is it wrong to take more pleasure from seeing Germany lose, than England win

If the Simms rumours are correct on 11:25 - Jul 7 with 1725 viewsjayessess

If the Simms rumours are correct on 11:05 - Jul 7 by TalkingBlues

The fee will be nowhere near £7 million, more like £3.5 million, with a more favourable sum up front than we offered

Even that £3.5m on its own would be the 8th biggest fee paid by a Championship club last season.

Only one of those was paid by a team that wasn't receiving parachute payments - Hull City paying £3.8m for winger Allahyer Sayyadmanesh. He managed a grand total of 4 goal contributions in 19 injury-interrupted appearances, which shows some of the dangers. The line doesn't always go up when it comes to player value.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

If the Simms rumours are correct on 11:34 - Jul 7 with 1692 viewsthe_toff

If the Simms rumours are correct on 11:16 - Jul 7 by FrimleyBlue

Not sure if you know Gav. But Ahadme didn't have much part in that.

You seem very keen to keep singling out the £150k 21 year old punt who came in, got injured and barely played, rather than the signings like Davis, Harness and Ladapo last summer who came in and scored 30+ goals between them and all contributed a lot to us reaching 99 points and promotion. You won't find a club anywhere with a 100% hit rate on transfers.
If the Simms rumours are correct on 11:39 - Jul 7 with 1666 viewsVegtablue

If the Simms rumours are correct on 10:15 - Jul 7 by berkstractorboy

You've really not got a grip on FFP have you.

You have no idea about the clubs finances currently in terms of how much loss we made last year and hence how much headroom we have for losses this season to avoid FFP sanctions. You have no idea who else the club is talking to at the moment and how much they will cost, wages etc.

Trust the people in charge, they haven't got it wrong so far and maybe they get this wrong this time but thats life and they will learn.

To be fair to TB the majority of his posts are insincere. When he isn't seeking a rise out of forum users with controversial standpoints, he is often found creating bogus 'def info' content of the nature currently visible on the first page of the forum - the "Announced Ellis Simms yet?" piece.

He does introduce Town topics that are sometimes a bit light on here, which is a useful service. And the nonsense elicits more replies than would usually be the case, which sometimes results in normal posters taking up the mantle and generating decent debate.
If the Simms rumours are correct on 11:48 - Jul 7 with 1646 viewsSE1blue

This is probably going to sting a little, but please prepare yourself for the fact we probably won’t be the club that gets Harry Kane.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

If the Simms rumours are correct on 11:51 - Jul 7 with 1625 viewsFrimleyBlue

If the Simms rumours are correct on 11:34 - Jul 7 by the_toff

You seem very keen to keep singling out the £150k 21 year old punt who came in, got injured and barely played, rather than the signings like Davis, Harness and Ladapo last summer who came in and scored 30+ goals between them and all contributed a lot to us reaching 99 points and promotion. You won't find a club anywhere with a 100% hit rate on transfers.

Because the post I made was specifically about chasing 1 main target, not getting him and ending up with Ahadme.

As you seem to remember the posts I make. Then you'd remember I pointed out Ladapo as an ideal KM signing, we signed him 2 weeks later.

Again. The point specifically was about chasing that 1 main target and missing out to then panic buy.

Thankfully Hirst couldn't get into the Blackburn team and we were able to get him in Jan.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

If the Simms rumours are correct on 12:12 - Jul 7 with 1575 viewsTalkingBlues

If the Simms rumours are correct on 11:25 - Jul 7 by jayessess

Even that £3.5m on its own would be the 8th biggest fee paid by a Championship club last season.

Only one of those was paid by a team that wasn't receiving parachute payments - Hull City paying £3.8m for winger Allahyer Sayyadmanesh. He managed a grand total of 4 goal contributions in 19 injury-interrupted appearances, which shows some of the dangers. The line doesn't always go up when it comes to player value.

Dangers are inherent in any signing, whether a 500k Camara, or a £200 Million Mbappe.

The fees debate isn't really what I'm getting at, rather the fact that we've failed to sign a top target and for what will most likely be revealed as a far lower sum than the numbers purported in the media and repeated on here, that's not good transfer business.

I notice at the time of writing that Ashton has spoken of the transfer market as being "dry" at the moment, given we are well back into pre-season, that makes the striker scenario rather more critical than we'd like it to be and losing the Simms race potentially becomes a very important failure. Frimmers rightly pointed out that we have experienced similar with the Hirst chase and ended up with Ahadme, which in league 1, we managed to get away with, but up a level now, this could really hurt results if we don't get our finger out and wake up to the reality of what teams could expect to pay for a Prem striker (even a fringe one) either we need to review our trading stance, or draw up a list of different targets, because they are clearly incompatible currently.

Rak Sakyi was due to be in by now too, no idea what's happened there, but if that also goes tits up, we've failed on 2 key targets.

Poll: Is it wrong to take more pleasure from seeing Germany lose, than England win

If the Simms rumours are correct on 12:13 - Jul 7 with 1566 viewsTalkingBlues

If the Simms rumours are correct on 11:48 - Jul 7 by SE1blue

This is probably going to sting a little, but please prepare yourself for the fact we probably won’t be the club that gets Harry Kane.

Shame, reckon he'd be a handy signing.

If the Simms rumours are correct on 12:20 - Jul 7 with 1527 viewsthe_toff

If the Simms rumours are correct on 11:51 - Jul 7 by FrimleyBlue

Because the post I made was specifically about chasing 1 main target, not getting him and ending up with Ahadme.

As you seem to remember the posts I make. Then you'd remember I pointed out Ladapo as an ideal KM signing, we signed him 2 weeks later.

Again. The point specifically was about chasing that 1 main target and missing out to then panic buy.

Thankfully Hirst couldn't get into the Blackburn team and we were able to get him in Jan.

I remember you calling McKenna smarmy.
Login to get fewer ads

If the Simms rumours are correct on 12:27 - Jul 7 with 1506 viewsBobbychase

If the Simms rumours are correct on 12:12 - Jul 7 by TalkingBlues

Dangers are inherent in any signing, whether a 500k Camara, or a £200 Million Mbappe.

The fees debate isn't really what I'm getting at, rather the fact that we've failed to sign a top target and for what will most likely be revealed as a far lower sum than the numbers purported in the media and repeated on here, that's not good transfer business.

I notice at the time of writing that Ashton has spoken of the transfer market as being "dry" at the moment, given we are well back into pre-season, that makes the striker scenario rather more critical than we'd like it to be and losing the Simms race potentially becomes a very important failure. Frimmers rightly pointed out that we have experienced similar with the Hirst chase and ended up with Ahadme, which in league 1, we managed to get away with, but up a level now, this could really hurt results if we don't get our finger out and wake up to the reality of what teams could expect to pay for a Prem striker (even a fringe one) either we need to review our trading stance, or draw up a list of different targets, because they are clearly incompatible currently.

Rak Sakyi was due to be in by now too, no idea what's happened there, but if that also goes tits up, we've failed on 2 key targets.

"Due in by now". How does anyone aside from the manager and CEO know something like that?

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

If the Simms rumours are correct on 12:28 - Jul 7 with 1504 viewsjayessess

Yes, dangers are inherent in any signing, that's why you can't just merrily chuck money around on the assumption that everything will work out. If you consistently over-pay for players then the overall result isn't going to be pretty.

Also think you're contradicting yourself here. A minute ago you were talking about the "harsh reality of the money paid for players at a higher level", now this isn't about fees.
[Post edited 7 Jul 2023 12:30]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

If the Simms rumours are correct on 12:37 - Jul 7 with 1483 viewsberkstractorboy

Rak Sakyi not a confirmed target. Given Palace have not had a manager until very recently maybe they wanted to hold on for the new manager to make the decision. Also Olise is injured and will miss the start of the season so could be retained as cover and some Palace fans reckon he is ready to be part of 1st team squad anyway.

I reckon that was far from being done if he was a real target
If the Simms rumours are correct on 12:45 - Jul 7 with 1461 viewsgeg1992

I'm sure it's been well documented that Palace are wanting to take a further look at Rak-Sakyi before anything happens with him. Therefore, it was always going to happen later on in the window.

Poll: Who would you play in place of Burns on Sunday?

If the Simms rumours are correct on 12:49 - Jul 7 with 1441 viewsFrimleyBlue

If the Simms rumours are correct on 12:20 - Jul 7 by the_toff

I remember you calling McKenna smarmy.

Yep. And what?

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

If the Simms rumours are correct on 12:49 - Jul 7 with 1444 viewsSitfcB

If the Simms rumours are correct on 09:42 - Jul 7 by itfcjoe

They haven't paid £8m, and that's not what I've said either

Ok up to £8mill, initial fee between 6-7 maybe?

No I know but we aren’t going to be held to ransom, if we don’t bid enough we don’t get the player regardless if they would’ve wanted to have come here, so it’s not like we lost out because he chose Coventry over us.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

If the Simms rumours are correct on 12:49 - Jul 7 with 1441 viewsyorkshireblue

If the Simms rumours are correct on 12:27 - Jul 7 by Bobbychase

"Due in by now". How does anyone aside from the manager and CEO know something like that?

Because so many of our fans - he believed something he read on social media.
If the Simms rumours are correct on 12:53 - Jul 7 with 1434 viewsIllinoisblue

It’s cute how you returned to this thread of public humiliation and cited Frimmers in your defence. Amazing scenes.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

If the Simms rumours are correct on 13:08 - Jul 7 with 1398 viewsTalkingBlues

If the Simms rumours are correct on 12:53 - Jul 7 by Illinoisblue

It’s cute how you returned to this thread of public humiliation and cited Frimmers in your defence. Amazing scenes.

I don’t think you’ve humiliated yourself, everyone’s a bit on edge with the signings we haven’t made yet, don’t worry, what will be, will be.

As for the defence, it’s been rumoured we are looking at CB’s and maybe that’s not far off the truth, seeing as Dom Ball took up that role in pre season.

If the Simms rumours are correct on 13:13 - Jul 7 with 1382 viewsHorsham

If the Simms rumours are correct on 13:08 - Jul 7 by TalkingBlues

I don’t think you’ve humiliated yourself, everyone’s a bit on edge with the signings we haven’t made yet, don’t worry, what will be, will be.

As for the defence, it’s been rumoured we are looking at CB’s and maybe that’s not far off the truth, seeing as Dom Ball took up that role in pre season.

You are Frimley and I claim a packet of salt and vinegar square crisps (grab bag).
If the Simms rumours are correct on 13:15 - Jul 7 with 1369 viewsBiGDonnie

Takes some going to get 55 down votes, thicko.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

If the Simms rumours are correct on 13:19 - Jul 7 with 1342 viewsNthQldITFC

If the Simms rumours are correct on 11:34 - Jul 7 by the_toff

You're wrong there. I could tell you of a club with a 100% hit rate on transfers if we're talking about the last transfer window. It's a good pedigree to have going into this transfer window. Now what club could that be that we could base our strategy and our expectations as fans on? Oh...it's Ipswich Town!

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

If the Simms rumours are correct on 13:28 - Jul 7 with 1316 viewsCityBlue

Surely Simms is asking himself, why is he going to a club that doesn't have the strength to keep Gyokeres.

I T I D

If the Simms rumours are correct on 14:00 - Jul 7 with 1283 viewsIllinoisblue

It’s mostly bed-wetting imbeciles who make stuff up that are on edge. Carry on soiling yourself.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

If the Simms rumours are correct on 14:20 - Jul 7 with 1248 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

“ “But we need to bring some more in, we’re working on that now. The transfer market’s a little bit dry, it’s a little bit slow when you’re looking at what all the other clubs have done.”

Ashton has spoken, you can change your pants now.

Unbelievable, it’s like the last decade of mediocrity (if we’re being generous) never happened…
If the Simms rumours are correct on 14:24 - Jul 7 with 1224 viewsTalkingBlues

If the Simms rumours are correct on 14:00 - Jul 7 by Illinoisblue

It’s mostly bed-wetting imbeciles who make stuff up that are on edge. Carry on soiling yourself.

I’ve just ordered a multi pack of big boy pants 😏

If the Simms rumours are correct on 14:49 - Jul 7 with 1176 viewsKropotkin123

Being "outbid" was central to your original post. We aren't going to be successful in the pursuit of every target, and if we were, we'd likely be overpaying, as the probability of reaching a fair deal 100% of the time is low.

If the club don't think Simms is worth the money, then that's that. If we are somewhat close, then it demonstrates that we were correct to pursue the chance of signing him.

I think you and Frimley are learning the wrong lesson from going after Hirst. Hirst was absolutely the right person to be chasing. He proved that after January. The thing that was bad was panicking and buying Ahadme. We didn't need him. He played next to no minutes, and we got promoted on 98 points.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024