Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If the Simms rumours are correct 20:22 - Jul 6 with 14243 viewsTalkingBlues

and we’ve been outbid by Coventry, who came to the party after us (I know we were in pole position and we’re very keen) there’s some questions to be asked about our trading policy. You have to admire not wanting to be held to ransom, but equally if you really want a target, as a Champ club known to have money and are after a striker on the books of a premier league club, you can expect to have stiff competition and a premium price tag.

This is not a good look for the recruitment team (if accurate) or Ashton and makes me a little nervous for further targets of any quality.

Nothing confirmed yet of course, let’s see.

Poll: Is it wrong to take more pleasure from seeing Germany lose, than England win

If the Simms rumours are correct on 15:00 - Jul 7 with 1904 viewsTalkingBlues

If the Simms rumours are correct on 14:49 - Jul 7 by Kropotkin123

Being "outbid" was central to your original post. We aren't going to be successful in the pursuit of every target, and if we were, we'd likely be overpaying, as the probability of reaching a fair deal 100% of the time is low.

If the club don't think Simms is worth the money, then that's that. If we are somewhat close, then it demonstrates that we were correct to pursue the chance of signing him.

I think you and Frimley are learning the wrong lesson from going after Hirst. Hirst was absolutely the right person to be chasing. He proved that after January. The thing that was bad was panicking and buying Ahadme. We didn't need him. He played next to no minutes, and we got promoted on 98 points.

“Outbid” isn’t just the £ fee, it’s the structure of the deal, the finer details included etc, clearly ours wasn’t quite there.

I think what a lot of people aren’t learning, is that we are very specific with our targets and losing out in this manner, is a hefty blow to our aspirations.

Poll: Is it wrong to take more pleasure from seeing Germany lose, than England win

If the Simms rumours are correct on 15:04 - Jul 7 with 1876 viewsBig_Jase

If the Simms rumours are correct on 13:28 - Jul 7 by CityBlue

Surely Simms is asking himself, why is he going to a club that doesn't have the strength to keep Gyokeres.

If someone bid £20m for any of our players I can assure you they would be off. Let’s not be silly to suggest if we had a player of Gyokeres ilk we could stop him from leaving.

Poll: Who would actually care if Norwich responded with a plane banner?

If the Simms rumours are correct on 15:06 - Jul 7 with 1863 viewsJ2BLUE

If the Simms rumours are correct on 15:00 - Jul 7 by TalkingBlues

“Outbid” isn’t just the £ fee, it’s the structure of the deal, the finer details included etc, clearly ours wasn’t quite there.

I think what a lot of people aren’t learning, is that we are very specific with our targets and losing out in this manner, is a hefty blow to our aspirations.

McKenna and Ashton have said repeatedly we have a list of targets.

You've just made this up and you're using public comments to try and add weight to it.

'I think what a lot of people aren’t learning, is that we are very specific with our targets'

You're parroting what we already knew and what Ashton said on the podcast.

You're a chancer who loves a moan, nothing more.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

If the Simms rumours are correct on 16:17 - Jul 7 with 1730 viewsKropotkin123

If the Simms rumours are correct on 15:00 - Jul 7 by TalkingBlues

So hefty, we got 98 points last season, and promoted in what was the most competitive top 3 finish in League 1 history.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

If the Simms rumours are correct on 19:25 - Jul 7 with 1624 viewsEastAnglianBoy

Huge difference in being able to blow every other League 1 side out of the water and Championship clubs!
If the Simms rumours are correct on 21:38 - Jul 7 with 1553 viewsitfcbam

If the Simms rumours are correct on 20:31 - Jul 6 by FrimleyBlue

You actually counting academy punts as first team signings?

Unless mistaken Broadhead, Hurst, Longoria and Clarke all signed Jan. All championship quality and 4 (albeit 1 on loan). Still suspect we have to box a bit clever with finances due to FFP. Anyone thinking negative about the transfer process under KM needs serious look, only 1 negative for me which was Camara but that was more injury than performance.
If the Simms rumours are correct on 21:42 - Jul 7 with 1531 viewsyorkshireblue

He’s been officially announced by Coventry.

Looking forward to a “Simms scored n/t” threads every time he scores for the rest of his career…
If the Simms rumours are correct on 00:47 - Jul 8 with 1409 viewsFevsBCFC

If the Simms rumours are correct on 20:36 - Jul 6 by NthQldITFC

That lack of mobility was my initial impression too, although admittedly I've seen very, very little to base that on.

Mobility is one thing that he doesn’t have a problem with. At 6’3” he’s one of the most mobile “big-men” I’ve seen. A very capable channel runner, as well as a target too. It’s one of the reasons Cov see him as a replacement for Gyokeres. They are a heavy counterattack team, so Simms’s mobility is exactly what they need.
Login to get fewer ads

If the Simms rumours are correct on 02:26 - Jul 8 with 1371 viewsBrads

If the Simms rumours are correct on 08:46 - Jul 7 by itfcjoe

I get that, I just think maybe there was an expectation that we'd be able to compete with most clubs in this league outside the PPs (i.e. the next rung down of Coventry, Bristol City, Blackburn, Sunderland).

Guess the difference last year was we had no-one to compete with, we were the only L1 option - fee reported for Simms is £3.5m up front

Although despite the lack of financial competition last season, we still weren’t able to land our main or secondary striker targets last summer for other reasons. Which resulted in the theme of us lacking ruthlessness in front of goal continuing until Hirst and Broadhead arrived in Jan (having already been identified as one of the main areas of improvement post Mckenna taking over the season before).

Seems unfair to highlight that again now given how many goals we scored, even in the first half of last season, but it could be argued that going into last season with Ahadme as our other option up front ultimately cost us the title.

Appreciate not everything’s in their control but Ashton et al must be feeling the pressure and working hard to try to prevent a similar situation from occurring again this time. They know it’ll probably make a huge difference to where we finish next season.
If the Simms rumours are correct on 09:02 - Jul 8 with 1277 viewsWeWereZombies

If the Simms rumours are correct on 21:42 - Jul 7 by yorkshireblue

He’s been officially announced by Coventry.

Looking forward to a “Simms scored n/t” threads every time he scores for the rest of his career…

Just for clarity it is now on the BBC sports pages:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66135277

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

If the Simms rumours are correct on 09:09 - Jul 8 with 1241 viewsHorsham

If the Simms rumours are correct on 02:26 - Jul 8 by Brads

Although despite the lack of financial competition last season, we still weren’t able to land our main or secondary striker targets last summer for other reasons. Which resulted in the theme of us lacking ruthlessness in front of goal continuing until Hirst and Broadhead arrived in Jan (having already been identified as one of the main areas of improvement post Mckenna taking over the season before).

Seems unfair to highlight that again now given how many goals we scored, even in the first half of last season, but it could be argued that going into last season with Ahadme as our other option up front ultimately cost us the title.

Appreciate not everything’s in their control but Ashton et al must be feeling the pressure and working hard to try to prevent a similar situation from occurring again this time. They know it’ll probably make a huge difference to where we finish next season.

Although to be fair I think the financial competition thing isn’t quite right. Hirst, for example last summer we lost out to a championship team. We might have been the biggest financial fish in league 1 but we weren’t only competing with league 1 teams to sign the players we wanted.
If the Simms rumours are correct on 09:10 - Jul 8 with 1227 viewsArnieM

If the Simms rumours are correct on 09:02 - Jul 8 by WeWereZombies

Just for clarity it is now on the BBC sports pages:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66135277

Hopefully his name will forgotten once we have signed the striker (s) ….

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

If the Simms rumours are correct on 10:48 - Jul 8 with 1117 viewsrodney76

Surely the only supporters who are disappointed that we were not prepared to rival Coventry's reported outlay for this player are those whose expectations for the coming season are a tad unrealistic.

Next season is a season for stability and learning. McKenna has to learn the real demands of Championship competition as do most of the players. They will be positive for a good showing, but will be wary of learning to walk before they can run.

I have fairly high expectations that we might, just might trouble the play-off spots, but can have no certainty. We could just as easily be in for a bit of a shock.

Much will be learned in the first half of the season, and any discrepancy can be addressed at the January window. There is no rush, the outlook is bright but let's not expect unrealistic success in the immediate term.

This time around the likes of Simms is not for us. Such signings could well be our chosen path in the near future though.

That apart there would seem to be some tough opponents coming up, not least the three relegated teams and others who still have parachutes to spend and a remnant of players in their squads with PL experience. As much as I would like to, I even hesitate in writing off Nodge in this respect and they seem to be lining up a few purchases.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2023 10:56]
If the Simms rumours are correct on 15:54 - Jul 8 with 989 viewsArnieM

If the Simms rumours are correct on 10:48 - Jul 8 by rodney76

Surely the only supporters who are disappointed that we were not prepared to rival Coventry's reported outlay for this player are those whose expectations for the coming season are a tad unrealistic.

Next season is a season for stability and learning. McKenna has to learn the real demands of Championship competition as do most of the players. They will be positive for a good showing, but will be wary of learning to walk before they can run.

I have fairly high expectations that we might, just might trouble the play-off spots, but can have no certainty. We could just as easily be in for a bit of a shock.

Much will be learned in the first half of the season, and any discrepancy can be addressed at the January window. There is no rush, the outlook is bright but let's not expect unrealistic success in the immediate term.

This time around the likes of Simms is not for us. Such signings could well be our chosen path in the near future though.

That apart there would seem to be some tough opponents coming up, not least the three relegated teams and others who still have parachutes to spend and a remnant of players in their squads with PL experience. As much as I would like to, I even hesitate in writing off Nodge in this respect and they seem to be lining up a few purchases.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2023 10:56]

I don’t think those that run Town now are in any doubt about what lies ahead. Some Fans will have high aspirations, some will be fearful of what lives ahead. The players are professionals and will have a natural degree of optimism on the back of a brilliant season, and the quality of the squad that surrounds them. So why wouldn’t they be up for it and confident in their own individual , and collective ability. If they haven’t, then there’s no hope from the off really is there!

Given Ashton’s and McKennas comments I think it both reasonable to be expect that change to this squad, either via replacements or additions occur, as this “ progressive development” continues, and perhaps even some previously cast iron, pencilled in, players from last season might be at some point be on their way, (nothing should be unexpected), If not in this window, perhaps the January window, such is the natural order of things.

We are entering an exciting period in the Club’s history, but we must all accept change will happen, even where we possibly hadn’t thought it might, or even want it.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

If the Simms rumours are correct on 19:46 - Jul 8 with 869 viewsBrads

If the Simms rumours are correct on 09:09 - Jul 8 by Horsham

Although to be fair I think the financial competition thing isn’t quite right. Hirst, for example last summer we lost out to a championship team. We might have been the biggest financial fish in league 1 but we weren’t only competing with league 1 teams to sign the players we wanted.

Yeah that’s true tbf. My main point still being that whatever the reasons were, hopefully we won’t be in a situation where we end up making an inadequate signing last minute again just to get another body in, having previously let players go that McKenna had trusted with more minutes because we thought we could get better. I’m sure they won’t make that mistake again though. Still relatively early days as most transfer business wasn’t expected to happen until this month anyway.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024