Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week 04:57 - May 24 with 35548 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

1,000 Animal Rising protesters turning up to ruin the Derby at Epsom. Track has applied for an injunction to ban them or they’ll ruin it but even if they get the injunction (unlikely I’d imagine), it’ll be a nightmare stopping them with Epsom’s course layout. Epsom, unlike Aintree, is an open track and getting on to ruin it will not be that difficult unfortunately. It’s part of a public footpath when racing isn’t on to the side of the course so can be accessed if people want to quite easily. They’ve specifically said today in writing and in a meeting with the course that they plan to turn up and ruin both days by sitting on the track.

So that’ll be another sporting event I’m in attendance that these tw*ts ruin. That’s if I even get there with the now added train strike announced conveniently three days ago. Two days off work, train tickets, race day tickets at £140 a pop per day and it’ll probably end up cancelled anyway because it’s 2023 and nothing I like doing goes without someone sitting in the way trying to ruin it.

I doubt TWTD is the place to moan about this though as, like with the Snooker World Championship last month, the racing isn’t something the majority on here enjoy so it’s ok. They’ll no doubt target a town game soon just to really make me despise them. Protest for protest sake. There’s always something someone somewhere disagrees with and will then protest about and attempt to ruin.

What a depressing time to be a human being.
[Post edited 24 May 2023 5:03]

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 11:55 - May 24 with 1965 viewsNeedhamChris

Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 11:27 - May 24 by Zx1988

Good point, Ryorry - which, for me, paints the picture in the complete opposite light.

The comfortably-paid drivers are happy to strike and lose pay in order to support those less well-off than them, to safeguard the lower ranks against redundancies, and to preserve the safety of the railways.

It'd be all too easy for those on £50k+ a year to sit back with an 'I'm all right, Jack' attitude, and let the station staff look after themselves.

Whilst I agree with the overall point - if the TOC's offered a payrise of 10%+ to those on low wages and nothing to those on 50k plus - they're not going to accept it are they so it's not quite as altruistic as you make out.

At the same time, fully supportive of them

Poll: Who will Kieran McKenna be managing on 1st August 2024

Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 11:59 - May 24 with 1926 viewswaveneyblue

Google, find me the worst forum to post about protesters ruining something that many hundreds of thousands of people enjoy.

Google has found twtd.co.uk
Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 12:04 - May 24 with 1903 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 11:31 - May 24 by Zx1988

I'm just waiting for Romford to come along with a 100% neutral piece from someone like the Jockey Club, explaining that even the slightest of reforms to horse racing would cause thousands of jockeys to be euthanised, as they simply wouldn't be able to function in normal society without horse racing.

I think it's complicated. There should be gradual reform, which I think the Jockey Club is in favour of, however, the question remains as to whether this goes far enough, fast enough. The Jockey Club are right in that a blanket ban on the sport would lead to mistreatment and abandonment of thoroughbreds.

With regards to the OP, I think they are largely getting this level of flack because it feels overly self-involved. Romford is clearly passionate about horseracing, so I can understand the way they feel, even if I think the post is overly emotive and ignores the very real and worthy cause that the protestors are drawing attention to. I am a hypocrite when it comes to this as I do agree with Chico that the sport is inherently cruel, and yet I have the occasional flutter (even taking advantage of some of Romford's recent tips) and I have even been to the National as part of a stag do.

I have sympathy for the OP - it is hard to accept the things we care about being impacted by other people. At the same time, I agree with others that we should care more about the much bigger issue of climate change and animal cruelty. We're all complex individuals that often hold contradictory ideas. I'm sure that this post was written in the heat of the moment and that while Romford probably remains upset about the prospects of this, they also are intelligent enough to accept some of the counter-arguments. I don't think we need to chastise them for that any further.

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 12:06 - May 24 with 1897 viewswkj

Thanks for highlighting the protest, I might have to pop along to Epsom and take part.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 12:07 - May 24 with 1892 viewsZx1988

Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 12:04 - May 24 by SlippinJimmyJuan

I think it's complicated. There should be gradual reform, which I think the Jockey Club is in favour of, however, the question remains as to whether this goes far enough, fast enough. The Jockey Club are right in that a blanket ban on the sport would lead to mistreatment and abandonment of thoroughbreds.

With regards to the OP, I think they are largely getting this level of flack because it feels overly self-involved. Romford is clearly passionate about horseracing, so I can understand the way they feel, even if I think the post is overly emotive and ignores the very real and worthy cause that the protestors are drawing attention to. I am a hypocrite when it comes to this as I do agree with Chico that the sport is inherently cruel, and yet I have the occasional flutter (even taking advantage of some of Romford's recent tips) and I have even been to the National as part of a stag do.

I have sympathy for the OP - it is hard to accept the things we care about being impacted by other people. At the same time, I agree with others that we should care more about the much bigger issue of climate change and animal cruelty. We're all complex individuals that often hold contradictory ideas. I'm sure that this post was written in the heat of the moment and that while Romford probably remains upset about the prospects of this, they also are intelligent enough to accept some of the counter-arguments. I don't think we need to chastise them for that any further.

What I'd like to see, as a step in the right direction at least, is the banning of National Hunt racing in favour of the sport becoming 'flat-only'.

That would at least go a good way towards removing a good chunk of racing-related fatalities, with minimal impact upon the ability of the horses to race, the jockeys to ride, and the racecourses to operate.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 12:09 - May 24 with 1879 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 12:07 - May 24 by Zx1988

What I'd like to see, as a step in the right direction at least, is the banning of National Hunt racing in favour of the sport becoming 'flat-only'.

That would at least go a good way towards removing a good chunk of racing-related fatalities, with minimal impact upon the ability of the horses to race, the jockeys to ride, and the racecourses to operate.

That sounds pretty reasonable to me, although I'm no expert so maybe someone who is would say otherwise! Then again, an expert is more likely to have a bias in favour of the sport - what a minefield!

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

Yep. Watching horse racing and eating meat….. on 13:40 - May 24 with 1771 viewsBuhrer

Yep. Watching horse racing and eating meat….. on 09:35 - May 24 by Bloots

….sometimes I even have a burger at the horse racing.

May I burn in hell for my sins.

That depends. What percentage vegan is the burger?
49% (n/t) on 13:42 - May 24 with 1767 viewsBloots

Yep. Watching horse racing and eating meat….. on 13:40 - May 24 by Buhrer

That depends. What percentage vegan is the burger?

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Login to get fewer ads

#BeKind (n/t) on 13:45 - May 24 with 1737 viewsBloots

Don’t be confused… on 11:16 - May 24 by Herbivore

Be the change you want to see.

#BeKind (n/t) on 14:01 - May 24 with 1698 viewsDarth_Koont

#BeKind (n/t) on 13:45 - May 24 by Bloots

What’s the point that you’re repeatedly not making when you come into these threads?

You seem to be trolling yourself.

Pronouns: He/Him

Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 14:04 - May 24 with 1677 viewsNthQldITFC

Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 10:25 - May 24 by Trequartista

I'm going to sit on the fence with this one. (Even though there are none at Epsom).

On one hand, I don't like the tone of many of the replies to this. There is an undercurrent of 'we know best' that seems designed to make the op feel like a bad person, rather than actually address the points in a polite manner. It does also seem, as someone has already pointed out, that these replies would be a lot different if it was something we all enjoyed i.e. an itfc fixture.

On the other hand, deep down, i agree with the protestors. You can talk about the sport treating horses better than ever as much as you want, but in the end it boils down to humans riding on animals for sport and gambling, something that would look completely weird if it was a new invention. There is not that same element in snooker, football etc.

Should the protestors protest peacefully around the perimeter or try and make their protest on the track? On this one, I think they should keep off the track, but I do understand the nature of protesting, i.e. the less disruptive the protest, the less effect it has.

I think the OP sets the tone for the thread in this case. It could have got going along the lines of sensible debate, but it was all about "these tvvats" "ruining" "another sporting event I’m in attendance" at and "protesting for protests sake". You kind of can't come into it with anything but frustration at the lack of understanding for the motives involved.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

[Redacted] on 14:04 - May 24 with 1670 viewsvictorywilhappen

Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 06:17 - May 24 by chicoazul

Horse racing is inherently cruel. The point of protest is to annoy upset and discomfort people in order to draw attention to one’s cause. More power to them.

[Redacted]
I wouldn't expect you.... on 14:07 - May 24 with 1651 viewsBloots

#BeKind (n/t) on 14:01 - May 24 by Darth_Koont

What’s the point that you’re repeatedly not making when you come into these threads?

You seem to be trolling yourself.

...to understand pal.

Have a great afternoon though!

Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 14:14 - May 24 with 1622 viewsJ2BLUE

Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 12:06 - May 24 by wkj

Thanks for highlighting the protest, I might have to pop along to Epsom and take part.

Remember to take some pictures.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I wouldn't expect you.... on 14:48 - May 24 with 1550 viewsDarth_Koont

I wouldn't expect you.... on 14:07 - May 24 by Bloots

...to understand pal.

Have a great afternoon though!

Probably not.

I’m not 12 and looking for attention.

Pronouns: He/Him

Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 14:51 - May 24 with 1540 viewsKeno

yes thats all about some geegees so whats "great sporting event is getting ruined next week"?

Poll: IF TWTD was a constituency who'd you vote for?
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Hurrah!! (n/t) on 14:59 - May 24 with 1516 viewsBloots

I wouldn't expect you.... on 14:48 - May 24 by Darth_Koont

Probably not.

I’m not 12 and looking for attention.

Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 15:01 - May 24 with 1503 viewsZx1988

Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 14:51 - May 24 by Keno

yes thats all about some geegees so whats "great sporting event is getting ruined next week"?

The All-Scotland Under-Twelve Shinty Grand Final?

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 15:04 - May 24 with 1479 viewsKeno

Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 15:01 - May 24 by Zx1988

The All-Scotland Under-Twelve Shinty Grand Final?

NO!!!!!!!! how could they stop that

The haggis and the bag pipes will have to be returned to the wild to live in the Highlands

As the great Scottish freedom fighter Mel Wallace McGibson said "YOU CAN TAKE OUR LAND BUT YE CAN NAY TAKE OUR SHINTY!!

Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 15:06 - May 24 with 1472 viewsJ2BLUE

Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 14:51 - May 24 by Keno

Behave yourself Keno.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 15:06 - May 24 with 1470 viewsnoggin

Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 06:17 - May 24 by chicoazul

Horse racing is inherently cruel. The point of protest is to annoy upset and discomfort people in order to draw attention to one’s cause. More power to them.

Here we go.....You'll start him off.

Poll: If KM goes now, will you applaud him when he returns with his new club?

Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 15:07 - May 24 with 1452 viewsKeno

Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 15:06 - May 24 by J2BLUE

Behave yourself Keno.

Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 15:07 - May 24 with 1450 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 09:30 - May 24 by StokieBlue

He's done this one already, his views on the suffragettes were "robust".

He didn't even have the facts right, said the horse died when in fact it completed the race without a jockey. Emily Davison did however die.

SB

That’s somewhat unfair Stokie and you know it.

I said she did that knowing full well that it was likely the horse would die but did it anyway. As someone who took A-Level history and this came up, I know she survived.

Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 15:08 - May 24 with 1434 viewsRyorry

Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 14:04 - May 24 by NthQldITFC

I think the OP sets the tone for the thread in this case. It could have got going along the lines of sensible debate, but it was all about "these tvvats" "ruining" "another sporting event I’m in attendance" at and "protesting for protests sake". You kind of can't come into it with anything but frustration at the lack of understanding for the motives involved.

Bet Phil n Gav love these vegan/protest/horseracing debate threads though - they're probably all that keep this site from impecunity & an empty hobnob cupboard during the summer - well, before the transfer window opens anyway

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 15:08 - May 24 with 1429 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Not sure a horse has died at Epsom in the last 1000 runners in all honesty. Horses day more in the fields by the track than they do in racing there.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024