Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week 04:57 - May 24 with 35553 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

1,000 Animal Rising protesters turning up to ruin the Derby at Epsom. Track has applied for an injunction to ban them or they’ll ruin it but even if they get the injunction (unlikely I’d imagine), it’ll be a nightmare stopping them with Epsom’s course layout. Epsom, unlike Aintree, is an open track and getting on to ruin it will not be that difficult unfortunately. It’s part of a public footpath when racing isn’t on to the side of the course so can be accessed if people want to quite easily. They’ve specifically said today in writing and in a meeting with the course that they plan to turn up and ruin both days by sitting on the track.

So that’ll be another sporting event I’m in attendance that these tw*ts ruin. That’s if I even get there with the now added train strike announced conveniently three days ago. Two days off work, train tickets, race day tickets at £140 a pop per day and it’ll probably end up cancelled anyway because it’s 2023 and nothing I like doing goes without someone sitting in the way trying to ruin it.

I doubt TWTD is the place to moan about this though as, like with the Snooker World Championship last month, the racing isn’t something the majority on here enjoy so it’s ok. They’ll no doubt target a town game soon just to really make me despise them. Protest for protest sake. There’s always something someone somewhere disagrees with and will then protest about and attempt to ruin.

What a depressing time to be a human being.
[Post edited 24 May 2023 5:03]

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 09:30 - May 24 with 2144 viewsStokieBlue

Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 09:17 - May 24 by GeoffSentence

Not the first time that protests have disrupted major horse racing event.

How would you have felt about this lot screwing up the derby?

He's done this one already, his views on the suffragettes were "robust".

He didn't even have the facts right, said the horse died when in fact it completed the race without a jockey. Emily Davison did however die.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

And miss out…. on 09:31 - May 24 with 2129 viewsBloots

TWTD Gold innit…. on 09:25 - May 24 by Herbivore

If only there was some magical way to only see football related posts.

….on laughing at the preposterous pomposity of it all!

Why would I want to do that?

Seeing people blub because other people like horse racing and eating meat is hilarious.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 09:31 - May 24 with 2106 viewsJ2BLUE

Good luck mate, I hope it all goes well. I would have thought there will be security everywhere for this and they are probably inflating the number of them who will turn up. No doubt a few of them will get on and it will be delayed but they will probably be quickly arrested.

I wonder if Knollsy is free...

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

And miss out…. on 09:32 - May 24 with 2087 viewsHerbivore

And miss out…. on 09:31 - May 24 by Bloots

Seeing people blub because other people like horse racing and eating meat is hilarious.

Whatever gets you your kicks, I guess.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

And miss out…. on 09:33 - May 24 with 2077 viewsStokieBlue

And miss out…. on 09:31 - May 24 by Bloots

That's not what's happened though, it's Rommers who is blubbing about people wanting to protest or go on strike to achieve better wages and benefits.

Try and keep up.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Yep. Watching horse racing and eating meat….. on 09:35 - May 24 with 2046 viewsBloots

And miss out…. on 09:32 - May 24 by Herbivore

Whatever gets you your kicks, I guess.

….sometimes I even have a burger at the horse racing.

May I burn in hell for my sins.

Blub. (n/t) on 09:37 - May 24 with 2027 viewsBloots

And miss out…. on 09:33 - May 24 by StokieBlue

That's not what's happened though, it's Rommers who is blubbing about people wanting to protest or go on strike to achieve better wages and benefits.

Try and keep up.

SB

Yep. Watching horse racing and eating meat….. on 09:37 - May 24 with 2019 viewsHerbivore

Yep. Watching horse racing and eating meat….. on 09:35 - May 24 by Bloots

Fingers crossed!

Login to get fewer ads

Careful Herbs…. on 09:38 - May 24 with 1994 viewsBloots

Yep. Watching horse racing and eating meat….. on 09:37 - May 24 by Herbivore

Fingers crossed!

….you don’t want to have to grovel again.

Careful Herbs…. on 09:49 - May 24 with 1917 viewsHerbivore

Careful Herbs…. on 09:38 - May 24 by Bloots

….you don’t want to have to grovel again.

I thought you liked a bit of bantz? I'm confused now.

Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 09:49 - May 24 with 1916 viewsDJR

Talks of Epsom reminds of the time I fell asleep on the last train and ended up at Epsom Downs station.

The station was in the middle of nowhere and there were no taxis. It was also in the days when there were no mobile phones, so I set off for the nearest lights way in the distance, assuming that must be in the direction of London.

In the end, I came across some houses, and ended up at around 1pm knocking on someone's door, who fortunately appreciated my predicament and were kind enough to phone a taxi for me, so I could get to my home eight or so miles further north.
[Post edited 24 May 2023 9:51]
Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 10:00 - May 24 with 1871 viewsronnyd

Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 09:49 - May 24 by DJR

Talks of Epsom reminds of the time I fell asleep on the last train and ended up at Epsom Downs station.

The station was in the middle of nowhere and there were no taxis. It was also in the days when there were no mobile phones, so I set off for the nearest lights way in the distance, assuming that must be in the direction of London.

In the end, I came across some houses, and ended up at around 1pm knocking on someone's door, who fortunately appreciated my predicament and were kind enough to phone a taxi for me, so I could get to my home eight or so miles further north.
[Post edited 24 May 2023 9:51]

They must have been very bright lights to see them at 1 o'clock in the afternoon.
Don’t be confused… on 10:11 - May 24 with 1823 viewsBloots

Careful Herbs…. on 09:49 - May 24 by Herbivore

I thought you liked a bit of bantz? I'm confused now.

….be nice.

Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 10:14 - May 24 with 1798 viewsitfctilidie

hopefully if they all sit on the track the races still go on and they get trampled
Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 10:25 - May 24 with 1750 viewsTrequartista

I'm going to sit on the fence with this one. (Even though there are none at Epsom).

On one hand, I don't like the tone of many of the replies to this. There is an undercurrent of 'we know best' that seems designed to make the op feel like a bad person, rather than actually address the points in a polite manner. It does also seem, as someone has already pointed out, that these replies would be a lot different if it was something we all enjoyed i.e. an itfc fixture.

On the other hand, deep down, i agree with the protestors. You can talk about the sport treating horses better than ever as much as you want, but in the end it boils down to humans riding on animals for sport and gambling, something that would look completely weird if it was a new invention. There is not that same element in snooker, football etc.

Should the protestors protest peacefully around the perimeter or try and make their protest on the track? On this one, I think they should keep off the track, but I do understand the nature of protesting, i.e. the less disruptive the protest, the less effect it has.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 10:27 - May 24 with 1736 viewsgiant_stow

Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 07:59 - May 24 by Herbivore

Good on them. Perhaps one day you'll step outside your bubble, Rommers, and actually care about something deeper than gambling and ITFC. Then you might start to understand why these people are protesting and why train staff are striking.
[Post edited 24 May 2023 8:02]

We could all do with stepping outside our bubbles a little bit more. Perhaps striking train drivers on already comfortable salaries could think about the frustration they cause to many who are less well off - particularly freelancers and giiggers who lose money or time as a result of their strikes. Solidarity is a two way street.
[Post edited 24 May 2023 10:27]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 10:36 - May 24 with 1683 viewsDJR

Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 10:00 - May 24 by ronnyd

They must have been very bright lights to see them at 1 o'clock in the afternoon.

Good point, well made!
Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 10:42 - May 24 with 1640 viewstextbackup

Should get the peaky blinders up there to shoot on sight

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 10:43 - May 24 with 1632 viewsRyorry

Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 10:27 - May 24 by giant_stow

We could all do with stepping outside our bubbles a little bit more. Perhaps striking train drivers on already comfortable salaries could think about the frustration they cause to many who are less well off - particularly freelancers and giiggers who lose money or time as a result of their strikes. Solidarity is a two way street.
[Post edited 24 May 2023 10:27]

"We could all do with stepping outside our bubbles a little bit more"

Agree 100%.

"Perhaps striking train drivers on already comfortable salaries ..."

The train *drivers* are, but their railway working colleagues in more menial positions are on p. poor salaries that aren't keeping up with the c o l c. They also point out the public safety aspect of staff reductions etc.

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Yep. Watching horse racing and eating meat….. on 10:46 - May 24 with 1604 viewsRyorry

Yep. Watching horse racing and eating meat….. on 09:35 - May 24 by Bloots

Think they might say that the globe being increasingly subject to the effects of the climate crisis, means that the fate you describe is also increasingly likely ...

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Don’t be confused… on 11:16 - May 24 with 1525 viewsHerbivore

Don’t be confused… on 10:11 - May 24 by Bloots

….be nice.

Be the change you want to see.

Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 11:27 - May 24 with 1463 viewsZx1988

Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 10:43 - May 24 by Ryorry

"We could all do with stepping outside our bubbles a little bit more"

Agree 100%.

"Perhaps striking train drivers on already comfortable salaries ..."

The train *drivers* are, but their railway working colleagues in more menial positions are on p. poor salaries that aren't keeping up with the c o l c. They also point out the public safety aspect of staff reductions etc.

Good point, Ryorry - which, for me, paints the picture in the complete opposite light.

The comfortably-paid drivers are happy to strike and lose pay in order to support those less well-off than them, to safeguard the lower ranks against redundancies, and to preserve the safety of the railways.

It'd be all too easy for those on £50k+ a year to sit back with an 'I'm all right, Jack' attitude, and let the station staff look after themselves.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 11:28 - May 24 with 1464 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

If they ban horse racing, how will Findus fill their crispy pancakes and lasagne?
Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 11:31 - May 24 with 1441 viewsZx1988

Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 11:28 - May 24 by SuperKieranMcKenna

If they ban horse racing, how will Findus fill their crispy pancakes and lasagne?

I'm just waiting for Romford to come along with a 100% neutral piece from someone like the Jockey Club, explaining that even the slightest of reforms to horse racing would cause thousands of jockeys to be euthanised, as they simply wouldn't be able to function in normal society without horse racing.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Looks like another great sporting event is getting ruined next week on 11:53 - May 24 with 1380 viewsNeedhamChris

I'm going to try and be fair here - I can imagine when you're passionate about something like you are horse racing that this is a real kick in the private parts when it happens. So appreciated that a weekend you look forward to is potentially going to be ruined and in that sense, I do feel for you.

At the same time, I think this is a protest that has a more easily defined logic to it. It's not like some of the others where the protest is for reasons of association (i.e snookers funding rather than snooker itself). It's a group of people who are as passionate about horse welfare and animals as you are passionate about the horse racing.

My personal view is that horse racing will one day become a thing of the past - and in many years ahead our ancestors will look back on that like we do many of the bloodsports from Shakespearean times (article on that here - https://www.history.com/news/the-gruesome-blood-sports-of-shakespearean-england) It's obviously better than that - but things move on and I think (and hope) that the use of animals for sport will be something that stops in due course.

I imagine that there a 16th century Rommy who was equally depressed about the end of bear-baiting, but ultimately I think these things do need to change.

Whatever happens, hope you still manage to have a great weekend.

Poll: Who will Kieran McKenna be managing on 1st August 2024

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024