Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? 09:52 - Sep 22 with 9574 viewsDubtractor

Inspired by this tweet, what is the crappest ITFC game you've seen? Not talking about games we've been hammered in, but games that were utter crap as a spectacle, even for a neutral.

One that stands out for me, possibly due to the circumstances, was a one nil home loss to Birmingham on boxing day in the late 90s. I'd bought tickets for my brothers and dad as a Christmas present, thinking it would be a nice day out together.... barely recall a shot on target all game, and we lost to a Jon McCarthy goal direct from a corner.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 11:15 - Sep 22 with 1306 viewsGavTWTD

My memory is a little hazy but the worst experience for me was watching Towen at Oldham. I think it was 4-1 to the home side and it was lashing down with near horizontal rain on an open terrace which I think is the ground at the highest altitude in England. I think Wark got a consolation goal so that dates at 24 Feb 1990. I thought it was 5-1 so I've had that corrected.

I think the sun came out and dried us by the time we got onto the supporters' coach.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 11:21 - Sep 22 with 1299 viewsPhilTWTD

The 3-0 defeat at Charlton in November 1997. David Whyte started up front, David Kerslake at right-back and an ill Jason Dozzell lasted about 20 minutes in midfield. Was a real low ebb of the Burley era and on top of that I took my then-girlfriend, an Australian who knew nothing about football, along for her first match, so I was having to explain quite how awful we were throughout.

A few weeks later we signed David Johnson and the rest is history.
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 11:23 - Sep 22 with 1277 viewsSuperblue95

The 1-0 loss at home to Swansea during the relegation season was pretty dire. Think we were already down at that point and played like a team that knew that even playing for pride was no longer an option.

Swansea were pathetically crap but I don’t recall us troubling them once. To top it off they got a winner from Wayne Routledge who I thought had retired years earlier.

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 11:24 - Sep 22 with 1278 viewsVaughan8

We've been spoilt for choice in the modern era.

I nremember losing to Middlesborough 3-1 away one year (must have been in the 00's. I left at 3-0, was on my own and Walters scored a penalty in injury time. and all I could think is "why did I bother?" haha

The McCarthy and Lambert eras certainly had loads of mind numbing games.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2022 11:24]
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 11:29 - Sep 22 with 1266 viewsmylittletown

West Ham away 1986.

We were really crap, totally outclassed all over the pitch, apart from Butcher, and it became obvious that were going to be relegated.

Depressing beyond belief.
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 11:36 - Sep 22 with 1240 viewsel_granjero

Millwall 3 - 0 Town, 18/19 season

Only the back end of October, but you knew they were getting relegated. Hurst sacked, no fight, no cohesion, no spirit, three of the simplest goals you'll ever see and just Lambert to look forward to. It was really f**kin cold as well. Always is at Millwall. Depressing.
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 11:42 - Sep 22 with 1227 viewsCoastalblue

Thewre have been lots but I think the one most recent for me was the 0-0 against 10 man Bolton at home. The week after Beattie died? It was the point where I thought the club was dying too, it was dire and also the point at which I finally conceded that Hurst was in totally the wrong job.

Add to that Walters limping off after a few minutes on his return.

A horrible day all round.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 11:47 - Sep 22 with 1221 viewsBrentwoodBlagger2

Has to be in April 2011 losing 5.1 at home to Norwich with Lee-Barrett in goal in front of almost 30k fans. Awful.
Login to get fewer ads

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 11:48 - Sep 22 with 1219 viewsDyland

Late 80s, and it was some humpers like Huddersfield, beat us three nil playing awfully. Cold sh1t Tuesday night. One of those you think what is the fackin point of this. I think one of our outfield players had to go in goal... though I may be conflating memories...

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 11:48 - Sep 22 with 1218 viewsgainsboroughblue

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 11:15 - Sep 22 by GavTWTD

My memory is a little hazy but the worst experience for me was watching Towen at Oldham. I think it was 4-1 to the home side and it was lashing down with near horizontal rain on an open terrace which I think is the ground at the highest altitude in England. I think Wark got a consolation goal so that dates at 24 Feb 1990. I thought it was 5-1 so I've had that corrected.

I think the sun came out and dried us by the time we got onto the supporters' coach.

I was there too. Absolutely miserable day. Think I proclaimed I wasn't going again after that. Three days later, I was travelling up to Stoke for a 0-0 draw.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Good shout on 11:54 - Sep 22 with 1213 viewsDyland

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 11:47 - Sep 22 by BrentwoodBlagger2

Has to be in April 2011 losing 5.1 at home to Norwich with Lee-Barrett in goal in front of almost 30k fans. Awful.

The first Town game I left proper early.

The only other game I left more than a few minutes early was Brentford away in our relegation season. They were depressingly superior and (soon to be) quite literally in a different league.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2022 12:05]

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 11:56 - Sep 22 with 1199 viewsmonty_radio

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 10:13 - Sep 22 by Keno

Didnt watch it but Middlesborough away at the end of the 81 must be up there, be interesting to here from anyone who went

Oddly enough I remember us losing 3-0 at home to boro in the 75/76 season being pretty dire

I didn't go to that, but I remember it well because we had tickets for the Wolsey early evening show and we walked around Alderman Rec with the radio on, picking up on the game at the 0-1 half-time advantage to us, and listening in gloomy dread as the second half unfolded.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 11:57 - Sep 22 with 1201 viewsJakeITFC

I can't remember who it was against or when, but I think I remember a really bad 0-0 on a Friday night at some point under McCarthy.

Tbf most of that era was turgid rubbish - difficult to drag ourselves back to the seats from the bar after half time and most weeks spare tickets couldn't even be given away.
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 11:57 - Sep 22 with 1198 viewsNORFOLK_BLUE

This: https://www.11v11.com/matches/ipswich-town-v-chester-city-16-january-2007-276545

Cold. Wet. Snowy. awful football. Train cancelled at the end. Not a fun night.

But we signed Jon Walters off the back of it i think so so you win some, you lose some!
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 12:04 - Sep 22 with 1181 viewsoncebluealwaysblue

Huddersfield away, Feb 2013. 0-0. Complete snooze fest.
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 12:12 - Sep 22 with 1170 viewsblueasfook

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 11:15 - Sep 22 by PrideOfTheEast

God yes, that was dreadful. Made Tom Ince look like Maradona.

To be fair, he did have a good game. Surprised he never kicked on in his career and made it to a premier league club. Seems to have just hung around championship level

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 12:16 - Sep 22 with 1159 viewsIllinoisblue

Yes that day was awful. Nothing like sitting on a coach in soggy clothes on a five hour trek home.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 12:16 - Sep 22 with 1158 viewscressi

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 09:59 - Sep 22 by iamipswich

Ipswich 0-1 Rotherham (Best)

Pathetic against a lowly albeit resurgent Rotherham under Warnock. Best scoring as well. Think this was the game where we had about 8 defensive players and 2 attackers.

Just checked - a midfield 3 of Skuse Douglas and Hyam. Wow!
[Post edited 22 Sep 2022 10:01]

A couple springs to mind
Home to Luton on a boxing day lost 0-1 Faulkner I believe
Man utd 0-9
And Bolton losing 4-1
Year we went down left before we scored
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 12:19 - Sep 22 with 1149 viewsmonty_radio

One that always stands out for me was back in the mid sixties. I had my first ever visit to a dentist, and, as the drill bit deep, I was consoling myself with thoughts of the league cup tie at home to Walsall a couple of hours later.

We lost 0-1 against a side one or maybe even two leagues below us. And the aching jaw seemed to get worse as the defeat slithered nearer.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 12:19 - Sep 22 with 1147 viewscressi

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 10:13 - Sep 22 by Keno

Didnt watch it but Middlesborough away at the end of the 81 must be up there, be interesting to here from anyone who went

Oddly enough I remember us losing 3-0 at home to boro in the 75/76 season being pretty dire

Yes I went lost 2-1 Arsenal beat Villa but it was game over rrr
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 12:20 - Sep 22 with 1149 viewsEpiphone

A lot of the matches towards the end of MM's reign merge into one as ordeals of mindless,boring unfootball.I frequently asked myself why I was wasting my time on a Saturday afternoon at PR when I could be doing something less painful and expensive.
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 12:21 - Sep 22 with 1145 viewsclive_baker

Probably a bit of recency bias in this one but Charlton away last season was pretty bleak. The performance itself of course, losing 2-0, not having a shot on target and barely a meaningful entry into their 3rd. Really could’ve been 5 had it not been for Walton. But the wider circumstances, project Cook hadn’t worked, and the optimism of new ownership / signings had faded. Rumours circulating that McGreal was an option for the permanent role and as much as I like the bloke, it was all very underwhelming.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 12:31 - Sep 22 with 1124 viewsmutters

Home game Vs Stockport County, Nov 1997.

Cold Tuesday night, lost 2 Nil at home less than 9k there. We were awful.

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 12:32 - Sep 22 with 1125 viewsRadlett_blue

Bpundary Park is the second highest English league ground. Surprisingly, The Hawthorns is the winner.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 12:44 - Sep 22 with 1104 viewsChrisd

We're probably spoilt for choice over the last 10-15 years of games that fall into this category.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2022 13:01]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024