Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? 09:52 - Sep 22 with 9568 viewsDubtractor

Inspired by this tweet, what is the crappest ITFC game you've seen? Not talking about games we've been hammered in, but games that were utter crap as a spectacle, even for a neutral.

One that stands out for me, possibly due to the circumstances, was a one nil home loss to Birmingham on boxing day in the late 90s. I'd bought tickets for my brothers and dad as a Christmas present, thinking it would be a nice day out together.... barely recall a shot on target all game, and we lost to a Jon McCarthy goal direct from a corner.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 13:01 - Sep 22 with 1517 viewsAlmondo

Ipswich 0-1 Sheffield United
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42519594

Decided to go to the FA Cup game in the 17-18 season, big regret I will never forget. Devoid of any creativity and zero shots on target all game. A fairly strong team not turning up on the year of the FA Cup anniversary was particularly disgraceful.
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 13:08 - Sep 22 with 1483 viewstractordownsouth

Oxford 0-0 Town, December 2020.

It was a toss up between that and Oxford 0-0 Town January 2020.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 13:16 - Sep 22 with 1470 viewsChurchman

When I saw the title I immediately thought of the Rotherham shame game. My thoughts at the end were ‘that it’s come to this, a 1-10 formation to try and get a point’. MMs interview afterwards didn’t help.

Three others - the Forest home game in 2016. Freezing cold, it was obvious from minute one what was going to happen and it did. Not a kick. My dad was feeling the cold and moaning about everything, the people around up were unhappy and so was I.

Secondly, I give you Plymouth at home in about 88. We lost 2-1 but the score was a travesty. We were abject. Duncan tried to play long ball against a taller team than us who were doing the same only better. The crowd was about 10k and I stood in Churchmans hands rammed in pockets (plenty of space) thinking why, just why?

Lastly, Sheffield Weds at home the game after Jewell was rightly kicked out - 2012. We were bottom and lost 3-0 and it’s one of the few occasions where the players visibly gave up. It was an absolute disgrace and annoys me to this day. How McCarthy got them out of that mess I’ll never know. He deserved manager of the season for getting that shower up the table.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2022 13:18]
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 13:18 - Sep 22 with 1468 viewsPhilTWTD

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 12:32 - Sep 22 by Radlett_blue

Bpundary Park is the second highest English league ground. Surprisingly, The Hawthorns is the winner.

Forest Green now the highest: https://forum.fgr.co.uk/post/highest-ground-is-the-new-lawn-11479134
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 14:41 - Sep 22 with 1389 viewsParisBlue

I seem to remember way too many of those listed.

Also Barnsley in the FA Cup in Jan 1990. If that game had carried on for another 32 years we still wouldn't have scored. Midway through the 2nd half a blizzard of Arctic proportions started, open terrace and those were the days of keeping the away fans in after the final whistle.

Charlton New Years Day 1996. Freezing, one of only a handful of games to go ahead. Referee shortened half time. Never been so cold.

Home vs Wigan in 14/15. Neither team had a shot on goal. Dreadful.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 14:46 - Sep 22 with 1386 viewstractor_lady

Peterborough away when we ended up with 9 men and I want to say 7-1 down
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 14:57 - Sep 22 with 1376 viewsPerublue

Vs Leicester Oct '83 0-0

I'm sure i've seen worse,but it was my expectation and let down that sticks in my mind as I think the oppo were struggling at the time badly.

Poll: Rugby World Cup Winner ?

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 15:01 - Sep 22 with 1366 viewsiamatractorboy

New Year's Day, 2005. Town 0 West Ham 2. Harewood scored after about 15 seconds, robbing the keeper and passing into an empty net after we had kicked off and f*nnied about with it at the back. Spent the next 89 minutes bored as hell as we never looked like scoring, then West Ham scored a second in injury time just to rub it in.
Login to get fewer ads

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 15:04 - Sep 22 with 1353 viewsPerublue

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 14:57 - Sep 22 by Perublue

Vs Leicester Oct '83 0-0

I'm sure i've seen worse,but it was my expectation and let down that sticks in my mind as I think the oppo were struggling at the time badly.

Just checked...yep we were 6th with 16... 3 points behind leaders manure and Leicester were on 1 point ..bottom with -17 gd after 9 games
[Post edited 22 Sep 2022 15:04]

Poll: Rugby World Cup Winner ?

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 15:32 - Sep 22 with 1319 viewsshady

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 10:13 - Sep 22 by Keno

Didnt watch it but Middlesborough away at the end of the 81 must be up there, be interesting to here from anyone who went

Oddly enough I remember us losing 3-0 at home to boro in the 75/76 season being pretty dire

This match still leaves me traumatized by its memory.
It's not that we played badly but its importance and the fact that
we lost from being 1-0 up at half time.
That season I was exhausted following us around, and I was only a spectator.
The team somehow kept going but we were like a top boxer on the ropes.

Had we managed to see the game out, then the title was ours for the taking as only one more league match to play
(and surely Home to Southampton would be comfortable)

Middlesboro had offered nothing, so the second half was just a case of conserving energy and claiming the victory.
However 1 Boro player(Bosco Jankovic) hadn't read the script and scored both their goals. Just so unexpected and devastating.
It wasn't a bad game just a dreadful result mainly caused by us attempting to win a title with too few players and 66 matches to play.

Yes, many sad memories.
Can you believe I even came away from a certain Norwich game puzzled how we got away with just 1-5.
We offered nothing and opposition were good that evening.

Losing to Wimbledon by the same scoreline was an end of season game were the opposition scored maybe 3 goals? in the last few moments, as we were well and truly on the beach.
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 15:39 - Sep 22 with 1308 viewsRadlett_blue

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 14:41 - Sep 22 by ParisBlue

I seem to remember way too many of those listed.

Also Barnsley in the FA Cup in Jan 1990. If that game had carried on for another 32 years we still wouldn't have scored. Midway through the 2nd half a blizzard of Arctic proportions started, open terrace and those were the days of keeping the away fans in after the final whistle.

Charlton New Years Day 1996. Freezing, one of only a handful of games to go ahead. Referee shortened half time. Never been so cold.

Home vs Wigan in 14/15. Neither team had a shot on goal. Dreadful.

No, that Charlton game was New Year's Day, 1997. It's certainly the coldest I've ever been at a football match. If I hadn't got a hot chocolate at half time, I think I would have expired. It wasn't a great game, but I have seen far worse.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 15:50 - Sep 22 with 1284 viewslazyblue

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 09:53 - Sep 22 by pointofblue

Ipswich 0-3 Hull
13th March 2018

As much for the atmosphere as well as the dire performance and final result.

The 9-0 defeat and having to sit hidden in the main stand, having said that I stormed out after the 6th goal and waited outside the ground until the for my mates in the away section.
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 16:05 - Sep 22 with 1252 viewswitchdoctor

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 10:01 - Sep 22 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

There was a few in that era, Stockport at home a couple of times and I recall a dire Friday night 0-0 against Tranmere too

Obviously the Rotherham 0-0 under McCarthy will get a few mentions here too

A lot to choose from recent memory too, the 0-1 at home to Fleetwood a couple of seasons ago stands out there too as being particularly dreadful

EDIT; that Rotherham game was worse than I remembered, as pointed out we actually lost
[Post edited 22 Sep 2022 10:03]

that game was the final straw for me as the Mcarthy era went…despite having a S T I didn’t attend another game that season…

one of the stand out cr@p games for me was attending very soggy P R and being among a sparse by crowd of 8K to see us lose to Stockport…bloody grim that was
[Post edited 22 Sep 2022 17:32]
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 16:15 - Sep 22 with 1221 viewsmanagement

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 11:15 - Sep 22 by GavTWTD

My memory is a little hazy but the worst experience for me was watching Towen at Oldham. I think it was 4-1 to the home side and it was lashing down with near horizontal rain on an open terrace which I think is the ground at the highest altitude in England. I think Wark got a consolation goal so that dates at 24 Feb 1990. I thought it was 5-1 so I've had that corrected.

I think the sun came out and dried us by the time we got onto the supporters' coach.

Another who has Oldham away(1990) as the nadir of watching Town, coldest place on the planet and wearing a skimpy windcheater, turned over on a plastic pitch, lamentable effort from the team. Vowed never to go again to a Northern outpost, well until we lost 9-0 at United!
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 16:16 - Sep 22 with 1218 viewsdirtyboy

Can't remember the exact game.

Nor should I.

It was the most forgetful performance I'd seen in a long time.

I was an evening game towards the end of Roy Keane's tenure, Tom Eastman was playing at right back and was possibly the worst performance i'd ever seen in a blue shirt (that's not to say it was his fault).

Could have been against Derby?

Me and a mate we so dejected on the way home and Keane was gone within a couple of months.

Thing was, it was a half decent crowd, but pretty much silence throughout.

At least McCarthy teams had a bit about them and tried. Keane's was just a mess.
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 16:30 - Sep 22 with 1192 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/ipswich-town-v-hull-city-match-report-

Ipswich 0-3 Hull.

That game where Mick held the post match meeting on the pitch.13k in attendance.

TWTD

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 16:34 - Sep 22 with 1185 viewsblueislander

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 16:30 - Sep 22 by TRUE_BLUE123

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/ipswich-town-v-hull-city-match-report-

Ipswich 0-3 Hull.

That game where Mick held the post match meeting on the pitch.13k in attendance.

TWTD

A lot to choose from but I will go for a 3-0 defeat at home to Wednesday. Carlton Palmer looked like Lionel Messi.
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 16:36 - Sep 22 with 1180 viewsRadioOrwell

ITFC v Milwall 0-0

Sometime in the 90's
Last game of the season.
We needed to win to get in the play offs.
They needed to win to stay up.
Grey sky. Cold.
Wrong result for both of us.
Milwall broke seats and threw them on the pitch.
Me and some mates travelled up from London ( they were Milwall ) and we all had a REALLY bad day.

I forgot to say how bad the football was. It was REALLY bad.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2022 16:39]
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 16:47 - Sep 22 with 1161 viewsbluelagos

March 15 1995 at Old Trafford for the 9-0 takes some beating.

Not just the sh1t on the pitch, but I was staying with my inlaws near Manchester and they were all United fans. Made me stay in and watch MOTD with them too.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 16:50 - Sep 22 with 1160 viewsRadlett_blue

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 16:36 - Sep 22 by RadioOrwell

ITFC v Milwall 0-0

Sometime in the 90's
Last game of the season.
We needed to win to get in the play offs.
They needed to win to stay up.
Grey sky. Cold.
Wrong result for both of us.
Milwall broke seats and threw them on the pitch.
Me and some mates travelled up from London ( they were Milwall ) and we all had a REALLY bad day.

I forgot to say how bad the football was. It was REALLY bad.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2022 16:39]

Millwall's performance was particularly odd as they needed the win, but made no effort to achieve it. I do remember the dreaded North Stand post denying Scowie & Town, as was the case in the play-offs with Sedgley against Sheffield United.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 16:55 - Sep 22 with 1151 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 13:01 - Sep 22 by Almondo

Ipswich 0-1 Sheffield United
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42519594

Decided to go to the FA Cup game in the 17-18 season, big regret I will never forget. Devoid of any creativity and zero shots on target all game. A fairly strong team not turning up on the year of the FA Cup anniversary was particularly disgraceful.

Cheers, I was trying to remember the opposition, thought it was Charlton, but this is the one! The North stand was shut so had to go in the Co-Op for the first time, and it was so cramped in there I could barely move without hurting my knees. That, coupled with Mick's anti-football (as you say, zero shots on target the entire game) and the dreadful Dominic Iorfa at left back, made this a horrible experience. Literally nothing of note for us.

And Mick having the audacity to say "I thought we played well until the goal. I'm not unhappy with the performance." WTAF. His departure was announced 2 months later, then he left (early) a couple of weeks after that. If I had a saw with me I'd have sawed my own legs off.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 17:00 - Sep 22 with 1140 viewsRadioOrwell

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 16:50 - Sep 22 by Radlett_blue

Millwall's performance was particularly odd as they needed the win, but made no effort to achieve it. I do remember the dreaded North Stand post denying Scowie & Town, as was the case in the play-offs with Sedgley against Sheffield United.

Yes I forgot the post incident. We were in Churchmans.
To be fair we didn't try much harder to win it than them.

The crowd were really up for an exciting end to the season and the players could not be *rsed for some reason.
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 17:06 - Sep 22 with 1115 viewsChurchman

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 17:00 - Sep 22 by RadioOrwell

Yes I forgot the post incident. We were in Churchmans.
To be fair we didn't try much harder to win it than them.

The crowd were really up for an exciting end to the season and the players could not be *rsed for some reason.

I was at that debacle too - in Churchmans too. Something on it for both teams and they were all on the beach. Nothing.

I have to say some of the Millwall got good distance frisbee-ing the seats. It was the nearest to excitement we got that day
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 17:09 - Sep 22 with 1109 viewsdirtyboy

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 16:50 - Sep 22 by Radlett_blue

They also managed to get some of those chairs out of the ground, my mates and I were only young teens at the time and a Millwall fan was running at us with a chair screaming like a banshee...

A copper came from nowhere and tackled him to the ground about 8ft from us lol!

Obviously we'd have kicked his head in had we got a chance (we shat ourselves lol!)
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 17:18 - Sep 22 with 1096 viewsDJR

If it's the number of poor games in a season, the Covid season takes some beating. I watched all the games, and the six games in a row where we didn't score, after Paul Cook took over, were particularly appalling. I think there were some of those games where we didn't have a shot on target, and the 3-0 defeats to Wimbledon and Northampton were the nadir.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024