Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? 09:52 - Sep 22 with 9575 viewsDubtractor

Inspired by this tweet, what is the crappest ITFC game you've seen? Not talking about games we've been hammered in, but games that were utter crap as a spectacle, even for a neutral.

One that stands out for me, possibly due to the circumstances, was a one nil home loss to Birmingham on boxing day in the late 90s. I'd bought tickets for my brothers and dad as a Christmas present, thinking it would be a nice day out together.... barely recall a shot on target all game, and we lost to a Jon McCarthy goal direct from a corner.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 18:28 - Sep 23 with 869 viewsBluespeed225

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 10:45 - Sep 22 by FifeITFC

Man Utd 9 Town 0 - 1994/1995
Bolton 4 Town 1 - 2001/02
Town 1 Wimbledon 5 - 2002/03
Town 0 Stockport 2 - 1997/98

First one, worst team in memory at that time, drunks, given up on season already, though Pole didn’t help.
We are still suffering from the next one,
Dons’, dead rubber at end of season we thought we’d bounce straight back up , but a good days drinking, so every cloud eh,
This one again cost us when we’d been on a good run, thoughts of auto promotion, the play off loomed again.
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 18:37 - Sep 23 with 858 viewsRonFearonsHair

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 17:38 - Sep 23 by patrickswell

The only derby game I've ever seen in the flesh was at Portman Road in October 1998. The previous derby game had been the 5-0 win in February and given that the derby always generally went in favour of the home side during the 90s, I travelled down in high hopes of witnessing a Town win.

However, Norwich did a number on us. They played on the break and squeezed us to death when we had the ball. Craig Bellamy scored the only goal of the game and Iwan Roberts missed two other chances. We never laid a glove on them and it heralded the beginning of our dismal run in the derby. Starting from that night, the head to head reads:
Played 28
Ipswich 5 wins
Norwich 13 wins
10 draws (curiously just under 50% of the total number of draws in Ipswich-Norwich games have come about in the period since April 1999)

I was also at the goalless draw with Wolves in March 2017 mentioned further upthread. I'd also cite a 2-1 defeat at Birmingham in November 2008, where we spent the vast majority of the match trailing by 2 goals and seemed to sum up Magilton's final season.

Am I right in thinking that October 1998 was the last time the derby was an evening kick-off?
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 19:51 - Sep 23 with 809 viewspatrickswell

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 18:37 - Sep 23 by RonFearonsHair

Am I right in thinking that October 1998 was the last time the derby was an evening kick-off?

April 2011 was the last under lights derby and the first one since October '98.
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 19:53 - Sep 23 with 807 viewsgainsboroughblue

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 18:37 - Sep 23 by RonFearonsHair

2011. Day before Good Friday. Best forgotten.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 19:54 - Sep 23 with 804 viewsgainsboroughblue

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 19:51 - Sep 23 by patrickswell

April 2011 was the last under lights derby and the first one since October '98.

I think it was the trouble after the game that night in '98 that was the last straw when it came to normal kick off times.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 21:45 - Sep 23 with 745 viewsTrequartista

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 18:05 - Sep 23 by jas0999

Ipswich 0 Sheffield Wednesday 3

The game after Paul Jewell was sacked. A complete shocker.

Plenty of dire performances under McCarthy. Dull draws at home.

Agreed, had never seen Town just down tools like that before, amazing how Wednesday only scored three.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 21:49 - Sep 23 with 743 viewsNthsuffolkblue

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 10:45 - Sep 22 by FifeITFC

Man Utd 9 Town 0 - 1994/1995
Bolton 4 Town 1 - 2001/02
Town 1 Wimbledon 5 - 2002/03
Town 0 Stockport 2 - 1997/98

That Stockport one was the first that sprung to my mind. Megson's team did a job on us. A dire game that they controlled and won comfortably with no attractive football on show at all. It was a cold and wet November Tuesday night in front of a crowd of under 9K. I reckon many season ticket holders were not there and the crowd was probably much lower than stated.

The Bolton one (and Liverpool 6-0 away to relegate us) stand out because in matches that mattered so much we simply didn't turn up at all. However, they were not the worst spectacles as matches. I would add Burley's last game 3-0 defeat at Grimsby was another one

Grimsby 3-0 Town 9th Oct 2002 01:35
A woeful and inept Town crashed to a humiliating 3-0 defeat at lowly Grimsby. The Blues were two down within fifteen minutes and never recovered, conceding a third in the second half. 2

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 21:52 - Sep 23 with 744 viewsTrequartista

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 16:50 - Sep 22 by Radlett_blue

Millwall's performance was particularly odd as they needed the win, but made no effort to achieve it. I do remember the dreaded North Stand post denying Scowie & Town, as was the case in the play-offs with Sedgley against Sheffield United.

They started the day two points ahead of Portsmouth and Portsmouth won, so a draw would have been enough up to when Pompey scored (no idea when that was)

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Login to get fewer ads

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 09:44 - Sep 24 with 646 viewsSamWhiteUK

5-1 away at Reading in 2015 was pretty piss poor. Was living fairly locally at the time, and even that short journey wasn't worth it.
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 09:49 - Sep 24 with 646 viewsRadlett_blue

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 18:28 - Sep 23 by Bluespeed225

First one, worst team in memory at that time, drunks, given up on season already, though Pole didn’t help.
We are still suffering from the next one,
Dons’, dead rubber at end of season we thought we’d bounce straight back up , but a good days drinking, so every cloud eh,
This one again cost us when we’d been on a good run, thoughts of auto promotion, the play off loomed again.

The Stockport game was 3 days after a 3-0 defeat at Charlton, where the first 45 minutes was the worst half I had ever seen from a Town team. We had a lot of injuries at the time & the team was being filled out by such luminaries as David Whyte, David Kerslake & Andy Legg. However, David Johnson II arrived about a week later & the season was transformed.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 09:57 - Sep 24 with 630 viewsRonFearonsHair

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 19:53 - Sep 23 by gainsboroughblue

2011. Day before Good Friday. Best forgotten.

Evidently was forogtten by me! I remember it being dark afterwards but had assumed it was played during the winter months.
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 09:59 - Sep 24 with 625 viewsRonFearonsHair

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 09:44 - Sep 24 by SamWhiteUK

5-1 away at Reading in 2015 was pretty piss poor. Was living fairly locally at the time, and even that short journey wasn't worth it.

Was that the one were the ref warned Knudsen twice about grappling their striker when defending a corner, only to award a penalty as soon as the corner was taken because Knudsen was grappling the striker?
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 12:43 - Sep 24 with 578 viewsrickw

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 18:48 - Sep 22 by happybeingblue

Ipswich 0 Burton 0 10th feb 2018 big mick at his absolute best of total dross football, this was the game for me where his final nail was hammered in although he didnt leave until after the Barnsley game 10 games or so later, the fans had clearly had enough after this game. i remember a few ex Ipswich players in particular spoke out after this about how sad it was seeing Ipswich resort to this type of football. we lost many thousands of fans under mick who are now thankfully returning!

This was my last match under Mick, swore I wouldn't waste anymore time watching his dross after that.
I think we had Knudsen and Spence as "wingbacks" but were basically just full backs and an attacking midfield comprising of Skuse, Hyam and Callum Connolly (who was a full back, but since converted to a central defender)

Burton came looking for a draw and we were playing all out defence.....

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 12:46 - Sep 24 with 576 viewsColchesterBlue1985

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 19:21 - Sep 22 by Funge

Defeat against Crewe = definite Mark Rivers goal for the Railwaymen.

He was the David Nugent of his time.

Yes think you are right. It was in April because it was on my birthday!!
So many from 16/17 & 17/18 seasons.. best categorise as worst entertainmentâ on 13:05 - Sep 24 with 571 viewsunstableblue

… seasons in Town’s history, as so many posters have pointed to specific games below… but it was generally a dirge.

And the fans voted with their feet and in the toxic reaction from the stands.

But I’d call out two more recent games in Town history at the end and just after Cook’s tenure.

Barrow away in the cup and Charlton away in the league. We were pathetic, abject, and it felt we’d sunk to the very bottom.

Some parallels in that season to the two terrible seasons sighted above that there were actually pockets of good games and performances, Newcastle at home in 16/17 and I think Millwall away and Sunderland home in 17/18. And with Cook the away games at Pompey (second half) and Wycombe away.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 20:12 - Sep 24 with 501 viewsJimmy86

For me it was Leicester away, a couple of games into Mick's tenure... We got absolutely smashed 6 nil... It really looked like Leicester and that rat Nugent were going to score every time they went forwards... Coupled with the fat guy with his drum, it was total and utter dross
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 20:51 - Sep 24 with 493 viewsPioneerBlue

I don’t disagree with any put forward but here are two more;

Reading 4-1 2015, the sign of things to come under MM, locking everything up, football ended!

Fulham 3-1 2018? It showed up how far we we’re away from competing against an actual football team, dismal, boat party was the highlight!

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 20:53 - Sep 24 with 487 viewsEly_Blue

7-1 against Peterborough or the 4-1 away against Bolton when we got relegated from the prem

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 21:10 - Sep 24 with 479 viewsunstableblue

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 20:51 - Sep 24 by PioneerBlue

I don’t disagree with any put forward but here are two more;

Reading 4-1 2015, the sign of things to come under MM, locking everything up, football ended!

Fulham 3-1 2018? It showed up how far we we’re away from competing against an actual football team, dismal, boat party was the highlight!

You raise a really good point about the MM years of dross, in that teams so regularly just passed around us and made us look draconian.

I also remember the Fulham game, but there were lesser teams doing the same.

One that I remember well was Bournemouth at home early in Micks tenure, it was 2-2, not a bad result. But it was like Bournemouth were a McKenna team and we were like a Wycombe.

They had 60% possession

Mick said after:

"It was a hard-fought game, a really good advert for the Championship.”

Their manager said:

“ I thought we were the better team, we created the better chances and played the better football.”

And they fecking did play the better football.

That season Bournemouth finished one place behind us. And the following season we did well, with the Murphy machine firing. And Bournemouth were Champions.

Let’s never get a manager like that again.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 09:11 - Sep 25 with 406 viewsRadlett_blue

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 21:10 - Sep 24 by unstableblue

You raise a really good point about the MM years of dross, in that teams so regularly just passed around us and made us look draconian.

I also remember the Fulham game, but there were lesser teams doing the same.

One that I remember well was Bournemouth at home early in Micks tenure, it was 2-2, not a bad result. But it was like Bournemouth were a McKenna team and we were like a Wycombe.

They had 60% possession

Mick said after:

"It was a hard-fought game, a really good advert for the Championship.”

Their manager said:

“ I thought we were the better team, we created the better chances and played the better football.”

And they fecking did play the better football.

That season Bournemouth finished one place behind us. And the following season we did well, with the Murphy machine firing. And Bournemouth were Champions.

Let’s never get a manager like that again.

Mick was better than his 2 immediate predecessors & his next 3 successors. Yes, the football often wasn't pretty but he was the right man for Ipswich at the time and the one appointment out of 6 that Marcus Evans got right.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 09:27 - Sep 25 with 375 viewsPinewoodblue

When you consider the catastrophic impact it has had on all of us it has to be the 4-1 defeat at Bolton.

Had the result for that game been reversed we would have stayed up and Bolton would have been relegated. We wouldn’t have gone into Administration and we wouldn’t have been owned by Marcus Evans.

Any other terrible game we may have attended is insignificant

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 09:31 - Sep 25 with 372 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 09:27 - Sep 25 by Pinewoodblue

When you consider the catastrophic impact it has had on all of us it has to be the 4-1 defeat at Bolton.

Had the result for that game been reversed we would have stayed up and Bolton would have been relegated. We wouldn’t have gone into Administration and we wouldn’t have been owned by Marcus Evans.

Any other terrible game we may have attended is insignificant

You make some fair points actually. Our history would've been totally different with a different result in that game. Then again, I guess we could've gone down the following year and everything still played out as it did, but who knows.

That's the only game where I walked out at half time.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024