Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? 09:52 - Sep 22 with 9567 viewsDubtractor

Inspired by this tweet, what is the crappest ITFC game you've seen? Not talking about games we've been hammered in, but games that were utter crap as a spectacle, even for a neutral.

One that stands out for me, possibly due to the circumstances, was a one nil home loss to Birmingham on boxing day in the late 90s. I'd bought tickets for my brothers and dad as a Christmas present, thinking it would be a nice day out together.... barely recall a shot on target all game, and we lost to a Jon McCarthy goal direct from a corner.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 17:35 - Sep 22 with 1493 viewsitfc_bucks

Ipswich 0 Forest 1(possibly 2).

Insipid game, Keane's last. I swore I'd never return to PR while he was in charge. Sacked the next day, I believe.
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 18:29 - Sep 22 with 1440 viewsBlue_Heath

Any defeat to the scum plus the Stockport home defeat on a Tuesday night in the 90's.
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 18:32 - Sep 22 with 1439 viewsFunge

Jesus, this is some thread.

So many to choose from; a few that spring to mind....

Peterboro (a) - (1-7) - had a ticket, too hungover to go, thankfully. Helluva goal by Keith Andrews, hell of a performance by Lee fcking Martin.

Rotherham (h) - 0-1 - Leon Best scored, as mentioned elsewhere. We had Liam Feeney on loan, he got the MOTM performance after coming on for 45 minutes and getting to the byline, twice. In fact pretty much any Rotherham home game would be a good shout for this shortlist.

Charlton (a) - 0-2 - last season; Walton ensured that it was simply just a 'run-of-the-mill' defeat as opposed to a pub quiz question. Dismal stuff.

Wednesday (h) - 0-3 - Chris Hutchings in charge, as mentioned elsewhere, none of the players wanted to be there. Lee Martin as good as you would expect. Wednesdays goals scored by Ross Barkley and Michail Antonio which makes things slightly better, I suppose.

Bolton - (a) - 1-4. Had to win to stay up, 4-0 down at HT. Saw Towun fans arguing with Bolton stewards at HT to be let out. I hate Sam Allardyce.

Norfolk vermin - (a) - 1-1. Chambers scored, I don't want to talk about the rest. Honestly preferred the 5-1 to this game; at least I (and everyone else) was too blitzed to recall the sheer horror of that one.

So, so many, though. Almost any of the last 6 months under Mick, the last 12 months under Lambert, or Jewell, or Keane....

So much dreadful football.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2022 18:34]
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 18:40 - Sep 22 with 1408 viewsParisBlue

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 18:32 - Sep 22 by Funge

Jesus, this is some thread.

So many to choose from; a few that spring to mind....

Peterboro (a) - (1-7) - had a ticket, too hungover to go, thankfully. Helluva goal by Keith Andrews, hell of a performance by Lee fcking Martin.

Rotherham (h) - 0-1 - Leon Best scored, as mentioned elsewhere. We had Liam Feeney on loan, he got the MOTM performance after coming on for 45 minutes and getting to the byline, twice. In fact pretty much any Rotherham home game would be a good shout for this shortlist.

Charlton (a) - 0-2 - last season; Walton ensured that it was simply just a 'run-of-the-mill' defeat as opposed to a pub quiz question. Dismal stuff.

Wednesday (h) - 0-3 - Chris Hutchings in charge, as mentioned elsewhere, none of the players wanted to be there. Lee Martin as good as you would expect. Wednesdays goals scored by Ross Barkley and Michail Antonio which makes things slightly better, I suppose.

Bolton - (a) - 1-4. Had to win to stay up, 4-0 down at HT. Saw Towun fans arguing with Bolton stewards at HT to be let out. I hate Sam Allardyce.

Norfolk vermin - (a) - 1-1. Chambers scored, I don't want to talk about the rest. Honestly preferred the 5-1 to this game; at least I (and everyone else) was too blitzed to recall the sheer horror of that one.

So, so many, though. Almost any of the last 6 months under Mick, the last 12 months under Lambert, or Jewell, or Keane....

So much dreadful football.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2022 18:34]

That Rotherham 0-1 was in March when we still had a chance of the playoffs. We played a midfield of Skuse, Hyam and Douglas. That was arguably the end for MM for me.

That 1-4 Bolton result has perhaps had more detrimental impact in our history than any other.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 18:48 - Sep 22 with 1401 viewshappybeingblue

Ipswich 0 Burton 0 10th feb 2018 big mick at his absolute best of total dross football, this was the game for me where his final nail was hammered in although he didnt leave until after the Barnsley game 10 games or so later, the fans had clearly had enough after this game. i remember a few ex Ipswich players in particular spoke out after this about how sad it was seeing Ipswich resort to this type of football. we lost many thousands of fans under mick who are now thankfully returning!
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 18:51 - Sep 22 with 1396 viewsTheBoyBlue

So many to choose from. Until this season, I've just become accustomed to being second best to so many teams that in some cases we shouldn't even be in the same division as. Don't even know when to begin, short of last season of MM's management, all of Paul Hurst & Paul Lambert and a lot of Paul Cook & Roy Keane's time in charge. In fact, this thread has just reminded how utterly dreadful this last decade has been.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 18:52 - Sep 22 with 1396 viewsblueprint

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 10:40 - Sep 22 by chicoazul

Bristol city at home in about 89. Junior Bent; only real dons recognise that name. Think there were only 7k other hardy souls there that day.

I remember the name and the game.
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 19:03 - Sep 22 with 1373 viewsmonkeymagic

So many under RK, PJ, MM, & PL that’s it’s difficult to select only one. From Hursts short tenure, the home defeat to QPR rings a bell as being absolutely p*ss poor. Going back to Burley I recall a shocker at home v Crewe (1-2, late ish winner for them I think) and a horror show away at Grimsby. I too remember the awful 0-1 reverse against Birmingham in the FA Cup third round in ‘87 that others have mentioned. Iirc, they had a pre ponytail youthful ‘spunky’ in goal.
Login to get fewer ads

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 19:21 - Sep 22 with 1357 viewsFunge

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 19:03 - Sep 22 by monkeymagic

So many under RK, PJ, MM, & PL that’s it’s difficult to select only one. From Hursts short tenure, the home defeat to QPR rings a bell as being absolutely p*ss poor. Going back to Burley I recall a shocker at home v Crewe (1-2, late ish winner for them I think) and a horror show away at Grimsby. I too remember the awful 0-1 reverse against Birmingham in the FA Cup third round in ‘87 that others have mentioned. Iirc, they had a pre ponytail youthful ‘spunky’ in goal.

Defeat against Crewe = definite Mark Rivers goal for the Railwaymen.

He was the David Nugent of his time.
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 19:39 - Sep 22 with 1330 viewsLesta_Tractor

Not sure of the fixture (possibly Palace at home) but I do remember leaving a game at half time during BFJ's last season.

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 22:46 - Sep 22 with 1183 viewsFearon

Agree with many mentioned here from the modern era but I found particularly painful the 3-0 defeat at Grimsby on a Tuesday night which was Burley’s last game and it seemed to take forever to get home.
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 22:55 - Sep 22 with 1176 viewsLord_Lucan

I think for me it was a Boxing day game against Fulham.

I had agreed to talk to Herr Ham on the radio about that charity thing we did but I think I went straight from a 24 hour bender to talk and then after all that went to my seat where I then watched about 5 minutes of the game at the most before heading off to The Arcade for a livener.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 00:14 - Sep 23 with 1108 viewsGeomorph

Port vale away New Year’s Day 5 0
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 07:51 - Sep 23 with 1017 viewsGlasgowBlue

3 March 2009.

Ipswich 0 Southampton 3.

The final nail in Jim’s coffin. It was appalling.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 08:06 - Sep 23 with 998 viewsTrumptonBlue

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 15:01 - Sep 22 by iamatractorboy

New Year's Day, 2005. Town 0 West Ham 2. Harewood scored after about 15 seconds, robbing the keeper and passing into an empty net after we had kicked off and f*nnied about with it at the back. Spent the next 89 minutes bored as hell as we never looked like scoring, then West Ham scored a second in injury time just to rub it in.

And I got a speeding ticket on the way home.
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 08:55 - Sep 23 with 991 viewsDyland

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 22:55 - Sep 22 by Lord_Lucan

I think for me it was a Boxing day game against Fulham.

I had agreed to talk to Herr Ham on the radio about that charity thing we did but I think I went straight from a 24 hour bender to talk and then after all that went to my seat where I then watched about 5 minutes of the game at the most before heading off to The Arcade for a livener.

The question was about the worst match dear Lucers, not the one you saw least of due to intoxication. The latter could fill a few pages no doubt, for me too... though by its very nature I'd struggle to answer accurately. Arfs!

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 09:45 - Sep 23 with 976 viewsRadlett_blue

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 08:55 - Sep 23 by Dyland

The question was about the worst match dear Lucers, not the one you saw least of due to intoxication. The latter could fill a few pages no doubt, for me too... though by its very nature I'd struggle to answer accurately. Arfs!

Indeed, predictably this thread morphed from "worst game" to "worst Town performance", which are somewhat different things, although neither of them remotely pleasurable.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 09:52 - Sep 23 with 970 viewsLord_Lucan

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 08:55 - Sep 23 by Dyland

I suppose the Soton home game at the end of Magiltons reign is up there - but that's more the worst Ipswich game.

I can't pinpoint the worst "Game" as there have been so many - but I'm pretty sure McCarthy would have been at the wheel.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 09:55 - Sep 23 with 968 viewsJammyDodgerrr

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 09:59 - Sep 22 by woodbridge_blue

So many in the past decade, but one that sticks in the memory is a 0-0 draw at home to Wolves (ironically managed by Paul Lambert) on a Tuesday evening in March 2017.

It's the one standout occasion that I can remember questioning why I was putting myself through such dross.

This is the one - a truly, truly dreadful occasion.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

innit on 12:16 - Sep 23 with 913 viewsDyland

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 09:45 - Sep 23 by Radlett_blue

Indeed, predictably this thread morphed from "worst game" to "worst Town performance", which are somewhat different things, although neither of them remotely pleasurable.

nfft

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 14:37 - Sep 23 with 847 viewsRonFearonsHair

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 16:30 - Sep 22 by TRUE_BLUE123

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/ipswich-town-v-hull-city-match-report-

Ipswich 0-3 Hull.

That game where Mick held the post match meeting on the pitch.13k in attendance.

TWTD

Fifth consecutive home match without scoring.
Man alive.
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 14:53 - Sep 23 with 824 viewsChurchman

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 14:37 - Sep 23 by RonFearonsHair

Fifth consecutive home match without scoring.
Man alive.

I missed the Hull and the Wolves games at home that season. I really didn’t miss much. I never realised at the last home game of the season v Middlesbrough that it would all be downhill from there. Jeez.
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 17:24 - Sep 23 with 739 viewsWhos_blue

Jeez. There have been a few stinkers. Many already mentioned. However, very few sink as low as 12 December 2019 - one of two lockdown games. I was really pleased to have "won" a ticket. That elation soon ebbed away as I sat on my own in the freezing cold and witnessed a pathetic 2-0 capitulation to Portsmouth. It was beyond dire and really made me question my decision making. The only highlight was a young attacking Portsmouth midfielder who I picked out as one to watch.
A certain Marcus Harness.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2022 17:26]

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 17:38 - Sep 23 with 715 viewspatrickswell

The only derby game I've ever seen in the flesh was at Portman Road in October 1998. The previous derby game had been the 5-0 win in February and given that the derby always generally went in favour of the home side during the 90s, I travelled down in high hopes of witnessing a Town win.

However, Norwich did a number on us. They played on the break and squeezed us to death when we had the ball. Craig Bellamy scored the only goal of the game and Iwan Roberts missed two other chances. We never laid a glove on them and it heralded the beginning of our dismal run in the derby. Starting from that night, the head to head reads:
Played 28
Ipswich 5 wins
Norwich 13 wins
10 draws (curiously just under 50% of the total number of draws in Ipswich-Norwich games have come about in the period since April 1999)

I was also at the goalless draw with Wolves in March 2017 mentioned further upthread. I'd also cite a 2-1 defeat at Birmingham in November 2008, where we spent the vast majority of the match trailing by 2 goals and seemed to sum up Magilton's final season.
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 18:05 - Sep 23 with 681 viewsjas0999

Ipswich 0 Sheffield Wednesday 3

The game after Paul Jewell was sacked. A complete shocker.

Plenty of dire performances under McCarthy. Dull draws at home.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024