Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? 09:52 - Sep 22 with 9507 viewsDubtractor

Inspired by this tweet, what is the crappest ITFC game you've seen? Not talking about games we've been hammered in, but games that were utter crap as a spectacle, even for a neutral.

One that stands out for me, possibly due to the circumstances, was a one nil home loss to Birmingham on boxing day in the late 90s. I'd bought tickets for my brothers and dad as a Christmas present, thinking it would be a nice day out together.... barely recall a shot on target all game, and we lost to a Jon McCarthy goal direct from a corner.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 09:53 - Sep 22 with 4291 viewspointofblue

Ipswich 0-3 Hull
13th March 2018

As much for the atmosphere as well as the dire performance and final result.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 09:59 - Sep 22 with 4258 viewswoodbridge_blue

So many in the past decade, but one that sticks in the memory is a 0-0 draw at home to Wolves (ironically managed by Paul Lambert) on a Tuesday evening in March 2017.

It's the one standout occasion that I can remember questioning why I was putting myself through such dross.
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 09:59 - Sep 22 with 4252 viewsiamipswich

Ipswich 0-1 Rotherham (Best)

Pathetic against a lowly albeit resurgent Rotherham under Warnock. Best scoring as well. Think this was the game where we had about 8 defensive players and 2 attackers.

Just checked - a midfield 3 of Skuse Douglas and Hyam. Wow!
[Post edited 22 Sep 2022 10:01]

Poll: Who will return first?

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 10:00 - Sep 22 with 4238 viewsthebooks

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 09:59 - Sep 22 by woodbridge_blue

So many in the past decade, but one that sticks in the memory is a 0-0 draw at home to Wolves (ironically managed by Paul Lambert) on a Tuesday evening in March 2017.

It's the one standout occasion that I can remember questioning why I was putting myself through such dross.

Losing 3-1 at home to Barnsley under Keane. My son was in tears during it.

So many to chose from!
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 10:01 - Sep 22 with 4216 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

There was a few in that era, Stockport at home a couple of times and I recall a dire Friday night 0-0 against Tranmere too

Obviously the Rotherham 0-0 under McCarthy will get a few mentions here too

A lot to choose from recent memory too, the 0-1 at home to Fleetwood a couple of seasons ago stands out there too as being particularly dreadful

EDIT; that Rotherham game was worse than I remembered, as pointed out we actually lost
[Post edited 22 Sep 2022 10:03]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 10:09 - Sep 22 with 4135 viewsSwansea_Blue

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 09:59 - Sep 22 by woodbridge_blue

I’ve a similar example from not us - going with a Watford supporting friend to Highfield Road to see the most boring 0-0 draw with Coventry. In 2004 I think. Never been so bored. Bottom of the table clash in front of a mostly empty, silent ground on a miserably cold day.

It was one of those days where you wonder if life’s playing a cruel joke on us all.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 10:11 - Sep 22 with 4118 viewshype313

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 10:01 - Sep 22 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

There was a few in that era, Stockport at home a couple of times and I recall a dire Friday night 0-0 against Tranmere too

Obviously the Rotherham 0-0 under McCarthy will get a few mentions here too

A lot to choose from recent memory too, the 0-1 at home to Fleetwood a couple of seasons ago stands out there too as being particularly dreadful

EDIT; that Rotherham game was worse than I remembered, as pointed out we actually lost
[Post edited 22 Sep 2022 10:03]

Boxing day against Gillingham 2019 was a low point, not a shot on target for either side, Gillingham getting players to walk 60 yards to take a throw in from minute one set the tone.

Awful game.

Plenty more I've seen, but that one stands out.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 10:13 - Sep 22 with 4084 viewsKeno

Didnt watch it but Middlesborough away at the end of the 81 must be up there, be interesting to here from anyone who went

Oddly enough I remember us losing 3-0 at home to boro in the 75/76 season being pretty dire

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Login to get fewer ads

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 10:19 - Sep 22 with 4043 viewscarlisleaway

I have to agree with you, attending that match with my family with a close friend who had only a few months to live with Cancer. We decided to book a corporate box in the old East Stand. The only good thing was the food we had, what an awful game. Another one was Stockport at home on a wet Tuesday evening
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 10:23 - Sep 22 with 4020 viewsgramps

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 10:13 - Sep 22 by Keno

Didnt watch it but Middlesborough away at the end of the 81 must be up there, be interesting to here from anyone who went

Oddly enough I remember us losing 3-0 at home to boro in the 75/76 season being pretty dire

It was an early 70's game against West Ham. My wife found it so boring that she said that watching the traffic lights change through a gap in the stands was much more exciting!

GRAMPS

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 10:24 - Sep 22 with 4014 viewstextbackup

many of jewells, a load of MM, 4-1 vs peterborough... to name a few

we were talking about this the other day, in L1 we have people going mad for tickets, in that couple of final MM years people were sitting at home and not going even though they had paid for tickets.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2022 11:45]

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 10:25 - Sep 22 with 3999 viewswaveneyblue

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 10:11 - Sep 22 by hype313

Boxing day against Gillingham 2019 was a low point, not a shot on target for either side, Gillingham getting players to walk 60 yards to take a throw in from minute one set the tone.

Awful game.

Plenty more I've seen, but that one stands out.

This is mine too - Took the boys as part of their Christmas pressie.

Highlight was brief excitement when Sears came on for his comeback after injury.

Dreadful stuff
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 10:28 - Sep 22 with 3985 viewsMattinLondon

There were many a poor game under Mick. But in the mid 90s we played Bury at PR - it was 0-0 and it was dreadful. They had ten men behind the ball at all times and we just could t break them down but we didn’t play well.
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 10:30 - Sep 22 with 3973 viewsMattinLondon

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 09:59 - Sep 22 by iamipswich

Ipswich 0-1 Rotherham (Best)

Pathetic against a lowly albeit resurgent Rotherham under Warnock. Best scoring as well. Think this was the game where we had about 8 defensive players and 2 attackers.

Just checked - a midfield 3 of Skuse Douglas and Hyam. Wow!
[Post edited 22 Sep 2022 10:01]

At half-time so many people brought more beer and simply drink it under the stands rather than actually watch that match.
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 10:35 - Sep 22 with 3954 viewsgainsboroughblue

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 10:28 - Sep 22 by MattinLondon

There were many a poor game under Mick. But in the mid 90s we played Bury at PR - it was 0-0 and it was dreadful. They had ten men behind the ball at all times and we just could t break them down but we didn’t play well.

I recall that as I took a girl I was seeing at the time to that. We split not long after and can't help but thinking the game was a contributing factor. It really was dreadful.

There was several games like that under Burley prior to promotion. Teams that just came and parked the bus, like Aldridge's Tranmere on more than one occasion.

Two matches v Birmingham stand out for me. An FA Cup home defeat in the freezing cold in January 1987 which at the time, was the first time we'd gone out at the Third Round stage in something like 15 years. An utterly drab affair. Also, an end of season game we actually won 2-0 a couple of years later.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 10:38 - Sep 22 with 3932 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Not sure this counts but 1st game of the season after Sir Bobby died was Leics at FPR, my housemate was a massive Leics fan so we decided to go, for my part I donr get to home games often at all but really wanted to be at this once as there would be tribute to the great man etc.

Living much nearer Leics than Ipswich we left plenty of time to get there, though it was still not enough, missed tbe tribute and all of the 1st half, saw 45 mins of dire football in a nil nil draw and almost had a barney with the knob behind us who complained when I stood up for all of 5 seconds when the ball was out of play remomstrate with the ref.

So technically it was only a half a game of football and maybe the 1st half was sublime from both sides, but I doubt it.

3.5 hrs to get home, an hr plus of that was just getting out of Ipswich.

Nightmare day
[Post edited 22 Sep 2022 10:42]

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 10:40 - Sep 22 with 3921 viewschicoazul

Bristol city at home in about 89. Junior Bent; only real dons recognise that name. Think there were only 7k other hardy souls there that day.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 10:43 - Sep 22 with 3905 viewsmichaeldownunder

Trip back home from Australia
We lost 4-1 at Preston
The only good thing was Preston gave all the away fans a free pie
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 10:44 - Sep 22 with 3911 viewsblueasfook

I would have to say Blackpool away under Jewell. We got battered 6-0. We just capitulated and Blackpool dominated us. The misery was compounded by a budgie among the blackpool fans taunting us the whole game.

I left 20 mins early or something. It was just too much to endure.

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 10:45 - Sep 22 with 3882 viewsFifeITFC

Man Utd 9 Town 0 - 1994/1995
Bolton 4 Town 1 - 2001/02
Town 1 Wimbledon 5 - 2002/03
Town 0 Stockport 2 - 1997/98

Poll: Lambert goes, would you prefer an ex-Town connection replacement or not?

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 10:50 - Sep 22 with 3853 viewswaveneyblue

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 10:35 - Sep 22 by gainsboroughblue

I recall that as I took a girl I was seeing at the time to that. We split not long after and can't help but thinking the game was a contributing factor. It really was dreadful.

There was several games like that under Burley prior to promotion. Teams that just came and parked the bus, like Aldridge's Tranmere on more than one occasion.

Two matches v Birmingham stand out for me. An FA Cup home defeat in the freezing cold in January 1987 which at the time, was the first time we'd gone out at the Third Round stage in something like 15 years. An utterly drab affair. Also, an end of season game we actually won 2-0 a couple of years later.

There's a theme here - I was also at that FA Cup game v Brum

It was snowing/sleeting, I was soaked, freezing and my only memory other memory from that was a filthy tackle on Mark Brennan that happened just in front of me which led to him being stretched off - looking dead ........
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 11:01 - Sep 22 with 3808 viewsBiGDonnie

I wasn't there but watched P'boro thrash us 7-1 in a bar up town. I was the only Town fan watching.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 11:06 - Sep 22 with 3766 viewsTractorCam

Bolton 1-1 Ipswich 17/18

Garner grabbed us a late equaliser but there was a good 30 minute period in there where neither team had a shot. Ipswich 0-0 Burton a few weeks later and a 0-0 to Wigan in 14/15 also deserve a mention.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2022 11:07]

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 11:13 - Sep 22 with 3714 viewsMach_foreignBlue

I could easily pick up 5-6 or even more games under mccarthy. Too hard for the stand-out one as there was plenty of that under him.

Jewell probably the same.

[Post edited 22 Sep 2022 11:16]
What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 11:15 - Sep 22 with 3703 viewsPrideOfTheEast

What's the worst ITFC game you've watched? on 10:44 - Sep 22 by blueasfook

I would have to say Blackpool away under Jewell. We got battered 6-0. We just capitulated and Blackpool dominated us. The misery was compounded by a budgie among the blackpool fans taunting us the whole game.

I left 20 mins early or something. It was just too much to endure.

God yes, that was dreadful. Made Tom Ince look like Maradona.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024