Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating 15:28 - Mar 22 with 9687 viewsitfcjoe

Well worth a listen

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 16:27 - Mar 22 with 2210 viewshype313

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 16:22 - Mar 22 by Vaughan8

You have a much better knowledge of the club than me.

I'm just interested to know who should have been given a go in the first team who is in the u23s? I appreciate in hindsight, we probably didn't need the likes of Harper who was poor most games for us and we definitely signed too many player sin the summer.

I get that our "U23s are rolling along at more than 2 points per game and scoring more than 2 goals per game." However surely that level is A LOT different to first team football?

Reading between the lines, I think what Joe has said regarding player trading as opposed to bringing through youth is the issue for Keiron, I get it, he was a product of our youth and was at a time when we were bringing through very goo players year on year.

And at that time we didn't really have the resources to go out and buy players, it's a horrible one really, because we, as fans always want us to bring through one of our own, it's in our DNA, but football has changed, certainly for us and this new ownership want a ROI within a certain timeframe and waiting for the youngsters to prosper just isn't in that remit.

I don't think either are right or wrong, Dyer has his philosophy and kudos to him for sticking to his principles, but it is clear his view of how to move forward is in complete contrast to Ashtons.

Suppose only time will tell if Ashton's view is successful.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 16:29 - Mar 22 with 2194 viewsRadlett_blue

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 15:54 - Mar 22 by FPL_Tractor

In the end picking a young player is always a risk and some managers feel more comfortable with it than others (so is signing a 27 year old by the way). That's why i don't really buy the "if they're good enough" argument as for instance you have to be lucky to get a place somehow (injuries whatever), get a good loan club to prove yourself etc.

Exactly. The gap between U23 football & League football is huge, partly down to the physicality & pace of the game, but also your opponents will largely all be seasoned professionals. Some U23 players stand out as good enough, but most need some experience & if they're good enough, they learn from it. We've loaned out many young players to lower league clubs & non-league & a lot of them have come back with little game time, presumably because the manager felt they weren't ready & playing them might cost him his job. It's a big issue, not just for Town but for all professional clubs.
Dyer is also right that it seems that he's unlikely to be seen as a Town manager from his current role so if he wants his career to progress, he's right to move on.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 16:30 - Mar 22 with 2176 viewsSouthfieldsBlue

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 16:07 - Mar 22 by itfcjoe

When we had the very first fans forum I asked Ashton about going Cat 1 and he totally dismissed it, at the weekends game I was sat up by the press boxes for a pre season friendly and then all the coaches came and sat near to me.

Dyer turned round to me and said "great question at the forum" and when I said I was surprised at how quickly it was shot down he said he was to as was the other members of the academy in what became our chat and isn't fair for me to name. That was the first they'd heard that.

I don't know Dyer to speak to, he wouldn't know me from Adam - but he recognised me from that question and specifically broiught it up which I was quite taken aback by.

We then went out and signed 19 first team players, and no one from the 23s has had a look in all season - whilst our first team were floundering our U23s are rolling along at more than 2 points per game and scoring more than 2 goals per game.

Without being rude the simplistic view is the one in your final sentence - it hasn't been the case for a long time now. Managers have to actively give players an opportunity when they deserve it - what more could they be doing to earn one?

I imagine that the difference in ethos between Dyer and the powers that be is that they want more of a player trading model than one that focuses on bring ing players through

I actually have sympathy with both sides of the argument here. We have a big catchment area to develop youth from and historically it has brought the club huge success.

I'm then also reminded by Flores thread of just how likely it is our top tier talent gets poached by the bigger clubs in their player stockpiles, which does raise the question of how viable or successful an academy can be these days.
The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 16:35 - Mar 22 with 2128 viewsclive_baker

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 16:27 - Mar 22 by hype313

Reading between the lines, I think what Joe has said regarding player trading as opposed to bringing through youth is the issue for Keiron, I get it, he was a product of our youth and was at a time when we were bringing through very goo players year on year.

And at that time we didn't really have the resources to go out and buy players, it's a horrible one really, because we, as fans always want us to bring through one of our own, it's in our DNA, but football has changed, certainly for us and this new ownership want a ROI within a certain timeframe and waiting for the youngsters to prosper just isn't in that remit.

I don't think either are right or wrong, Dyer has his philosophy and kudos to him for sticking to his principles, but it is clear his view of how to move forward is in complete contrast to Ashtons.

Suppose only time will tell if Ashton's view is successful.

I think it's important to strike the right balance, it doesn't have to be a binary either / or between buying players in and flooding the side with academy graduates. If you look at the side since McKenna came in one of our best players is Woolfenden, who came through the academy here. We have always, and will continue to benefit from growing our own players like him and as others have said, you don't get up to the standard required without being given that chance alonside some senior pros, making the odd mistake and being supported in that transition. Equally, the difference in games is often the likes of Celina, Morsy & Burns, and we're in the fortunate position to be able to get the cheque book out and sign them. It's a blend that we need to get right, there's room for both and that's probably the optimum. Perhaps we've gone too far the other way which is clearly how KD feels after seeing signing after signing come in.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 16:38 - Mar 22 with 2101 viewsitfcjoe

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 16:35 - Mar 22 by clive_baker

I think it's important to strike the right balance, it doesn't have to be a binary either / or between buying players in and flooding the side with academy graduates. If you look at the side since McKenna came in one of our best players is Woolfenden, who came through the academy here. We have always, and will continue to benefit from growing our own players like him and as others have said, you don't get up to the standard required without being given that chance alonside some senior pros, making the odd mistake and being supported in that transition. Equally, the difference in games is often the likes of Celina, Morsy & Burns, and we're in the fortunate position to be able to get the cheque book out and sign them. It's a blend that we need to get right, there's room for both and that's probably the optimum. Perhaps we've gone too far the other way which is clearly how KD feels after seeing signing after signing come in.

I think certain signings get made and it must make you question the point - it's not new to this regime when you remember that Nydam went to St Johnstone and we signed Tayo Edun on loan.

For this pension fund to make a return then we need to be good at player trading, and think Ashton is more interested in that in younger groups than developing players - I expect to see some players like that signed for U23s in summer like teams like Norwich have done succesfully.

I'm hopeful with McKenna at the wheel, having seen what he did in January recruitment and squad building wise, there will be a much more measured approach taken rather than the free for all that we did last summer

EDIT - I know Cameron Humphreys is being pushed a lot by those behind scenes currently. But the 23s can't be doing much more to earn an opportunity but the frist team squad was so bloated pre January it couldn't happen
[Post edited 22 Mar 2022 16:39]

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 16:52 - Mar 22 with 2012 viewsclive_baker

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 16:38 - Mar 22 by itfcjoe

I think certain signings get made and it must make you question the point - it's not new to this regime when you remember that Nydam went to St Johnstone and we signed Tayo Edun on loan.

For this pension fund to make a return then we need to be good at player trading, and think Ashton is more interested in that in younger groups than developing players - I expect to see some players like that signed for U23s in summer like teams like Norwich have done succesfully.

I'm hopeful with McKenna at the wheel, having seen what he did in January recruitment and squad building wise, there will be a much more measured approach taken rather than the free for all that we did last summer

EDIT - I know Cameron Humphreys is being pushed a lot by those behind scenes currently. But the 23s can't be doing much more to earn an opportunity but the frist team squad was so bloated pre January it couldn't happen
[Post edited 22 Mar 2022 16:39]

Yes, I would certainly agree with that. It was even more frustrating prior to gamechanger as a lot of those players blocking the path had less compelling CV's than some that have done so over the past 9 months. Freezing out Idris & Dobra for example in favour of Bennets and Harrop et al was a head scratcher.

It hasn't helped Humpreys cause that the squad was so bloated while we were in the cup competitions either. Since we managed to trim it a little we've just had a run of 20 odd league games with the remit of doing what we can to make up the gap to the playoffs, so it's nigh on impossible for him to get that chance, even with the odd injury or 2. I'm sure KM will hit the reset button a bit in the summer when he's got the time to think beyond prepping for the next Saturday. I wouldn't be surprised to see the majority of Holy, Norwood, Bonne, Bakinson, Carroll, Jackson, Celina, Thompson not here next season. A couple could well be, but the majority not. That should give a few a chance to stake a claim.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 17:00 - Mar 22 with 1975 viewsgordon

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 15:39 - Mar 22 by gtsb1966

I just can't see the logic in that if it's true. If someone is good enough they'll get in surely.

Would just say that at times (not every game they've played) this season, Penney, Pigott, Carroll, Bakinson, Harper, Edwards, Vincent-Young and one or two others of the senior/newly signed players have looked out of their depth/unfit/bereft of confidence. But they got quite a few opportunities to try and find form in the first team while performing pretty poorly. I can understand how it could be frustrating for an u23s manager to see that, knowing the young players were equally talented.

Having said that it's totally understandable that a promotion at any costs approach, which we're more or less committed to, isn't also going to be consistent with giving young players a chance to find their feet at first team level.
The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 17:10 - Mar 22 with 1897 viewsChocorange

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 17:00 - Mar 22 by gordon

Would just say that at times (not every game they've played) this season, Penney, Pigott, Carroll, Bakinson, Harper, Edwards, Vincent-Young and one or two others of the senior/newly signed players have looked out of their depth/unfit/bereft of confidence. But they got quite a few opportunities to try and find form in the first team while performing pretty poorly. I can understand how it could be frustrating for an u23s manager to see that, knowing the young players were equally talented.

Having said that it's totally understandable that a promotion at any costs approach, which we're more or less committed to, isn't also going to be consistent with giving young players a chance to find their feet at first team level.

This.

Well said.
Login to get fewer ads

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 17:11 - Mar 22 with 1898 viewsDyland

Yet more damning stuff about Lambert, as if we needed it...

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 17:15 - Mar 22 with 1867 viewsGlasgowBlue

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 15:43 - Mar 22 by itfcjoe

Players.

He says that the vision and culture of the club that Ashton et al have doesn't align with his.

Watching the interview, a few things I've taken from it. KD is still very disappointed that he wasn't considered by the club when Cook left. He is too emotional to succeed in management imo. He wants to see the likes of Simpson and Humphries in the first team squad but doesn't seem to understand that every game this season is basically a cup final and we can't afford to take a punt on them. If we were mid table then I would imagine we would be seeing more of the U23's make the squad. He should have stayed until the end of the season and then resigned.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 17:19 - Mar 22 with 1826 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Makes some interesting points, He should've been caretaker manager, no two ways about it.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 17:22 - Mar 22 with 1811 viewsGlasgowBlue

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 17:19 - Mar 22 by TRUE_BLUE123

Makes some interesting points, He should've been caretaker manager, no two ways about it.

Even though he can never be more than 90 minutes away from Addenbrookes and could be taken in for a liver transplant with very little notice?

I think we have to take the emotion away from this. Ashton and Gamechanger have the best interest of the club at heart. They act professionally at all times and don't let sentiment get in the way.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 17:31 - Mar 22 with 1774 viewsgordon

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 17:10 - Mar 22 by Chocorange

This.

Well said.

Fraser as well.

When a senior player isn't delivering, we respond completely differently to when it's a young player. When Pigott plays woefully bad no-one ever says, well, you can't really take a chance on a 28 year-old at this stage of the season, we say he needs a run of games to get his confidence up, we say there's a player in there somewhere etc. But when a younger player performs poorly, it's his age / inexperience that caused the poor performance.

It's really the club's job to make sure that every player from 18 over is relaxed, confident and prepared to step in to the senior team if needed. The bringing in of players like McGuinness, Bakinson, Bennetts, Harrop, Matheson, Thomas, Parrott in recent seasons is just a complete admission that for whatever reason the club isn't doing it's job in that regard.
The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 17:32 - Mar 22 with 1762 viewstractorboy1978

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 17:15 - Mar 22 by GlasgowBlue

Watching the interview, a few things I've taken from it. KD is still very disappointed that he wasn't considered by the club when Cook left. He is too emotional to succeed in management imo. He wants to see the likes of Simpson and Humphries in the first team squad but doesn't seem to understand that every game this season is basically a cup final and we can't afford to take a punt on them. If we were mid table then I would imagine we would be seeing more of the U23's make the squad. He should have stayed until the end of the season and then resigned.

Yes, thought the same thing re KD being emotional. He's Ipswich through and through and I love the bloke but did get the sense his judgement is a bit clouded by his emotions and he's been rather hasty.

The U23s side has done fantastically well this season and I'll be amazed if Humphries and one or two others (Simpson and Ndaba or Baggott) aren't given serious consideration in the summer going into next season. Also suspect a couple of them will get loans out to L2. If you can integrate a couple of young players each season, that is a good strike rate.

The reality though is that with the squad we have and the backing we have, you are going to have to be exceptional to break through. And that's going to become the case even more if we go up and then want to compete at the top end of the Championship.
The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 17:35 - Mar 22 with 1742 viewsnodge_blue

I don't know what to make of some of that.

KD is a legend for me. Tremendous player. And loves the club.

But has he let emotions run away with him. Theres been several youngsters that have had some chances in recent years (like Dobra) but haven't made the grade. And in a year when we want promotion and prepared to pay for those players, are we really going to be trying lots of the U23s?

Im sure McKenna will be looking at them closely.

I don't get it. I wish he'd stayed on.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 17:39 - Mar 22 with 1696 viewsmonty_radio

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 16:30 - Mar 22 by SouthfieldsBlue

I actually have sympathy with both sides of the argument here. We have a big catchment area to develop youth from and historically it has brought the club huge success.

I'm then also reminded by Flores thread of just how likely it is our top tier talent gets poached by the bigger clubs in their player stockpiles, which does raise the question of how viable or successful an academy can be these days.

Agree with all your youth arguments except having a large catchment area - we don't. Ipswich is a medium sized town/city and Suffolk is rural. Twenty miles to the north or south brings you into Norwich or London orbits. Even our historically successful teams based around our own youth fielded such as Beattie, Burley, Osman, Naylor who came from Cumbria, Scotland etc and who would now be snapped up from the cradle by big Northern outfits.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 17:39 - Mar 22 with 1699 viewshype313

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 17:15 - Mar 22 by GlasgowBlue

Yep, I think getting overlooked for the Caretaker role really rankled him, I get it, a bloke who's been in the door 48hrs gets the nod, but to be fair McGreal did have management experience.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 17:45 - Mar 22 with 1686 viewswkj

I think it was a good discussion, and if you separate sentiment from the picture it is very easy to 'see both sides'.

Long before GC20 arrived, the argument was made by a few people on here questioning the point of the academy as we really went a very long time without a return on investment from players. This ramped up considerably once Aston and GC20 arrived as it was clear our financial sustainability was going to be one of investment and reselling.

This doesn't make Aston or GC20's strategies evil or uncaring as it is a very legitimate way of doing business, and the bulk of town fans demand almost instant success. You simply wont get that instant turnaround by expecting a swaft of youth to suddenly come good. Look at Clements on the left under Cook... he was Okay, but didn't seem to offer much more than Kenlock (at this stage in his development)

So... how do you gain a quick promotion whilst blooding in the youth? Well... you don't, not unless you clearly have an elite youngster, which we've not had in a very very long time.

KD is right for moving on, but MA/GC20 is also right for picking a sustainable strategy to chase short-term success. It is an uncomfortable and sad truth, but this is the way that football is going to be for lower league sides as the gap between the Premier league (even the Championship top 6 spots can fall into this category) and lower division widens.
[Post edited 22 Mar 2022 17:46]

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 17:48 - Mar 22 with 1647 viewsChurchman

I’ve listened to all the interview. KD is an engaging and interesting person. He cares, has a winning mentality, is obviously a very good coach and gives the game a lot of thought.

There are clearly plenty of elements as to why he has made the decision, but his tone and expression (through a grainy small screen) suggested to me the bringing in of McGreal and not being appointed temporary manager when Cook went was a big part of it. I have to say it was all a bit puzzling to me at the time and still is. I didn’t get the impression his relationship with JM was as strong as it was with Butcher either.

In terms of the Academy and it’s place, I think he has a point about it and player progression. However, looking at the timeline of Lambert replaced, new owners, bomb squad, Cook out, McGreal, McKenna in, I struggle to see how much of an opportunity could have been given to the U23s with the exception of cup games and during those, Cook was trying to create a team.

I’d be interested to know how the different strands of the club interact. Does Klug and did Kieron have a line into McKenna to press the case for his players? Does KM watch the games? I’m sure those who go have that answer.

Overall, the interview left me with two main feelings. His resigning feels like an overload of frustration at a number of different things alongside the obvious worry he must have for his own health.

Personally, I don’t understand the hypocrite feeling argument. He was coaching players - something he loves doing and does well. Why stop doing it now? If he had a better job to go to, I’d understand it. By leaving a club he clearly knows loves him (‘I probably could have had a job for life at Ipswich’) he won’t be doing that for a while.

I believe he would have been well advised to stay until his op was done then look elsewhere after, if he still didn’t feel aligned. I think KD is a big loss to the club and I’d be interested to know if any effort was made to retain him. It’d be something I’d ask Ashton about.
[Post edited 22 Mar 2022 17:52]
The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 17:50 - Mar 22 with 1628 viewsDarth_Koont

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 15:43 - Mar 22 by pointofblue

Both.

Highlighted he feels young players are not being given the chance (specifically states he feels Humphrys is the second best central midfielder at the club after Morsy and queries why Simpson isn’t given a chance when Bonne isn’t our player and Jackson/Norwood are out of contract at the end of the season). He did say this is his opinion and McKenna could be right with his viewpoint.

He also realised he won’t have a chance of managing Ipswich without managerial experience elsewhere when McGreal was brought in and given the temporary post after Cook’s departure.

It’s a valid point.

We all want the ambition and extra spending for first team success. But taking the rough with the smooth that higher standard suddenly blocks the path of many of the younger development players.

I think McKenna needs time to settle his own squad and then see how many of the younger players can be more involved. So it’s fairly moot until we see how that pans out. But it’s probably inevitable that there’ll be markedly fewer first team opportunities for U23s and academy players than there were a year or two before.

I can see why that changes things for a lot of the players and coaches at that level.

Pronouns: He/Him

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 17:50 - Mar 22 with 1636 viewsitfcjoe

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 17:39 - Mar 22 by hype313

Yep, I think getting overlooked for the Caretaker role really rankled him, I get it, a bloke who's been in the door 48hrs gets the nod, but to be fair McGreal did have management experience.

We’ve surely all been in jobs where you can see yourself getting stitched up by decisions rhat whilst they can be argued can be baffling and a clear fait accompli that has been schemed behind your back.

Generally those who stay after that happens never get anywhere

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 17:57 - Mar 22 with 1604 viewsDyland

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 17:35 - Mar 22 by nodge_blue

I don't know what to make of some of that.

KD is a legend for me. Tremendous player. And loves the club.

But has he let emotions run away with him. Theres been several youngsters that have had some chances in recent years (like Dobra) but haven't made the grade. And in a year when we want promotion and prepared to pay for those players, are we really going to be trying lots of the U23s?

Im sure McKenna will be looking at them closely.

I don't get it. I wish he'd stayed on.

He's worn his heart on his sleeve there for sure. I think fair play. It's very emotional but strip that away and what he's saying, the main 'info content' in the interview about the club, is he's not aligned with the current strategy, so he's leaving. That's integrity. And as he says, it doesn't mean he's right, or he's taking some moral high ground. It just means the stars haven't aligned, to bring it back to sentiment and bluemotion :)

His comments about Humphreys and Simpson are definitely his emotions getting ahead of him. Again, fair play. But it can't be hard to read the emotions and context here surely? If anything, I think there are more positives than negatives about the club. It's all horses for courses, and opinions. Great to have this honesty and openness from KD.

Who's to say he won't be back running the academy when it's cat 1 in a few years. Or dare I say... managing us in Europe :)

COYFB

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Very interesting, not sure well judged by KD.. 3 words Culture/Alignment/Emotion on 18:11 - Mar 22 with 1551 viewsunstableblue

It was a perfect 1hr30mins when in bed for the day.

Well done statman, shame on the buffering, and I did think the idea of leaving the reason for the exit till the end was questionable.. but did work.

I think Kieron did need to be quizzed in a more structured way on reason for leaving, but I think statman got there in the end.

It came down in part to something we focus on at work - which is getting alignment through an organisation, from the vision down to all levels with bottom up feedback, all supported by a positive culture and critically good COMMUNICATION. All successful organisations have it. Southgate and FA Pro licence clearly promote it.

Unfortunately the problem with the Keiron stance - and this is my view - is his emotion and perhaps lack of judgement and self awareness.

On a side note he hasn’t helped his goal of managing a first team, as I think there was a way to communicate his message without overtly criticising Ashton, McKenna and the club hierarchy and also what concerns is probably unsettling our entire U23 squad.

But my main point is on a lack of alignment to club vision, and keiron feeling his vision is that 2 or 3 U23s should be starting today... but the fact is that Cook brought in a very big and good squad, and for Keiron to say 2 or 3 players from his team should already be starting seems a little biased and emotional. Clements WAS given a significant run of games.. and he was proven to be out of his depth. KD also states that Norwood would dominate defenders at U23. Baggot is class, and McKenna has he and Simpson training with the first team.. and Simpson perhaps in the frame if it wasn’t for injury. Similarly I think El Miz would have started over Carrol if he hadn’t also been injured.

Is Humphreys better than Bakinson.

I think Humphreys, baggot, armen, simpson and el miz are really in McKenna plans, in the clubs vision.

And isn’t the ex Bristol guys roles to work on proper development plans for all these players?!

We’ve had great loans for Simpson and Nadia.

The Wolf is probably one of the first names on McKenna team sheet.

Don’t get me wrong I would love to see 3 U23 players coming into the first team next season over loans. I would love to see Simpson feature this term when fit.. you may find he doesn’t hit the mark.

I do get Keirons upset at not getting the caretaker job, but his surprise exit and some of the ‘too honest’ comments about his club sort of may have proven why he didn’t get it.

Keiron is clearly a legend, a great guy and good U23 coach, he is clearly a very good people manager at this level, and has garnered great respect from his team and the bomb squad. But there is a trick to working up an organisation, it is not to be too emotional (although as a frickin football manager it’s very important to be emotional at times!) ... and critically manage up and improve the culture and alignment ‘bottom up’ - so work with keiron and the structure on plans for when players are going to move up...

Only my humble opinion and haven’t worked in a football structure.

Final point is given keirons health, the support the club can give and critically the lessons he could have learnt from McKenna... and given some limited turmoil this will provide... could he have stayed and resolved the issues (helped 2-3 players hit the first team)... and when he’s had the op... and if the club aren’t giving that progression he seeks - then leave, on good terms

Hope McKenna and Ashton spend some time with the U23s now, get them settled, and appoint someone new because I do hope baggot, el miz, humprhies and a striker are brought through... with McKenna coming through from youth team management thats surely likely
[Post edited 22 Mar 2022 18:18]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 18:27 - Mar 22 with 1464 viewsChurchman

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 17:50 - Mar 22 by itfcjoe

We’ve surely all been in jobs where you can see yourself getting stitched up by decisions rhat whilst they can be argued can be baffling and a clear fait accompli that has been schemed behind your back.

Generally those who stay after that happens never get anywhere

I don’t think it’s as simple as that. Firstly, how one sees the world, clearly or otherwise isn’t always how it actually is. It also changes over time. I’d also say that sometimes staying and learning can and often does get you somewhere. The trick is all about learning, particularly about oneself and how one is perceived.
Very interesting, not sure well judged by KD.. 3 words Culture/Alignment/Emotion on 18:43 - Mar 22 with 1408 viewsGrumpy_Old_Man

Very interesting, not sure well judged by KD.. 3 words Culture/Alignment/Emotion on 18:11 - Mar 22 by unstableblue

It was a perfect 1hr30mins when in bed for the day.

Well done statman, shame on the buffering, and I did think the idea of leaving the reason for the exit till the end was questionable.. but did work.

I think Kieron did need to be quizzed in a more structured way on reason for leaving, but I think statman got there in the end.

It came down in part to something we focus on at work - which is getting alignment through an organisation, from the vision down to all levels with bottom up feedback, all supported by a positive culture and critically good COMMUNICATION. All successful organisations have it. Southgate and FA Pro licence clearly promote it.

Unfortunately the problem with the Keiron stance - and this is my view - is his emotion and perhaps lack of judgement and self awareness.

On a side note he hasn’t helped his goal of managing a first team, as I think there was a way to communicate his message without overtly criticising Ashton, McKenna and the club hierarchy and also what concerns is probably unsettling our entire U23 squad.

But my main point is on a lack of alignment to club vision, and keiron feeling his vision is that 2 or 3 U23s should be starting today... but the fact is that Cook brought in a very big and good squad, and for Keiron to say 2 or 3 players from his team should already be starting seems a little biased and emotional. Clements WAS given a significant run of games.. and he was proven to be out of his depth. KD also states that Norwood would dominate defenders at U23. Baggot is class, and McKenna has he and Simpson training with the first team.. and Simpson perhaps in the frame if it wasn’t for injury. Similarly I think El Miz would have started over Carrol if he hadn’t also been injured.

Is Humphreys better than Bakinson.

I think Humphreys, baggot, armen, simpson and el miz are really in McKenna plans, in the clubs vision.

And isn’t the ex Bristol guys roles to work on proper development plans for all these players?!

We’ve had great loans for Simpson and Nadia.

The Wolf is probably one of the first names on McKenna team sheet.

Don’t get me wrong I would love to see 3 U23 players coming into the first team next season over loans. I would love to see Simpson feature this term when fit.. you may find he doesn’t hit the mark.

I do get Keirons upset at not getting the caretaker job, but his surprise exit and some of the ‘too honest’ comments about his club sort of may have proven why he didn’t get it.

Keiron is clearly a legend, a great guy and good U23 coach, he is clearly a very good people manager at this level, and has garnered great respect from his team and the bomb squad. But there is a trick to working up an organisation, it is not to be too emotional (although as a frickin football manager it’s very important to be emotional at times!) ... and critically manage up and improve the culture and alignment ‘bottom up’ - so work with keiron and the structure on plans for when players are going to move up...

Only my humble opinion and haven’t worked in a football structure.

Final point is given keirons health, the support the club can give and critically the lessons he could have learnt from McKenna... and given some limited turmoil this will provide... could he have stayed and resolved the issues (helped 2-3 players hit the first team)... and when he’s had the op... and if the club aren’t giving that progression he seeks - then leave, on good terms

Hope McKenna and Ashton spend some time with the U23s now, get them settled, and appoint someone new because I do hope baggot, el miz, humprhies and a striker are brought through... with McKenna coming through from youth team management thats surely likely
[Post edited 22 Mar 2022 18:18]

It should also be remembered that many of the current U23s squad were last year's U18s so quite a big leap for them. If they are good enough their time will come.

I like the look of Humphreys and i'm sure he could have a future here. Simpson i've only seen play once so can't judge.

McKenna came in at a time when experimenting with youngsters was a no go. The close season will see him have the opportunity to look at the squad at large.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024