Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating 15:28 - Mar 22 with 9688 viewsitfcjoe

Well worth a listen

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 18:45 - Mar 22 with 1431 viewsVic

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 17:50 - Mar 22 by itfcjoe

We’ve surely all been in jobs where you can see yourself getting stitched up by decisions rhat whilst they can be argued can be baffling and a clear fait accompli that has been schemed behind your back.

Generally those who stay after that happens never get anywhere

And I bet he had a chat with others at the courses he refers to and was advised to move on.

It’s sad to be losing him, but it sounds like he’s made a good decision (though like others I’m not sure why he couldn’t wait a few weeks until the end of the season).

Interesting what he said spoke so directly about racism preventing h8m and other black coaches getting jobs. Bet that will make headlines outside of sleepy suffolk!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Very interesting, not sure well judged by KD.. 3 words Culture/Alignment/Emotion on 18:51 - Mar 22 with 1390 viewsunstableblue

Very interesting, not sure well judged by KD.. 3 words Culture/Alignment/Emotion on 18:43 - Mar 22 by Grumpy_Old_Man

It should also be remembered that many of the current U23s squad were last year's U18s so quite a big leap for them. If they are good enough their time will come.

I like the look of Humphreys and i'm sure he could have a future here. Simpson i've only seen play once so can't judge.

McKenna came in at a time when experimenting with youngsters was a no go. The close season will see him have the opportunity to look at the squad at large.

I think a positive from KDs exit and interview approach will be to shine a spot light on the plans and approach for U23 to first team progression.

Often when organisations lose top talent or have an incident, it can be a tigger to improve.

I thought Ashton and the team had this in hand and that was a key role for Probert and what Klugg was already doing.

Maybe we would have seen Simpson, El Miz and Baggot in recent games if injuries had gone other ways.

As you say if we look to be out of the picture in a few games time then maybe we’ll see some. But I also reckon McKenna wants to get some wins in over the bigger clubs, which is one area where he still needs to improve.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 18:52 - Mar 22 with 1398 viewsfooters

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 17:50 - Mar 22 by itfcjoe

We’ve surely all been in jobs where you can see yourself getting stitched up by decisions rhat whilst they can be argued can be baffling and a clear fait accompli that has been schemed behind your back.

Generally those who stay after that happens never get anywhere

It's hardly a stitch-up when the guy who gets the job has clearly more experience in that role than you. I've much love for KD but to suggest he's been somehow overlooked with his limited experience seems wide of the mark. He's got a lot to prove as yet.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 19:12 - Mar 22 with 1326 viewsitfcjoe

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 18:52 - Mar 22 by footers

It's hardly a stitch-up when the guy who gets the job has clearly more experience in that role than you. I've much love for KD but to suggest he's been somehow overlooked with his limited experience seems wide of the mark. He's got a lot to prove as yet.

McGreal was bought in to assist him with the 23s and then within 2 days he is being asked to assist McGreal - he was overlooked.

If Butcher was still here as his assistant and was given the caretaker job ahead of him that would have been the same and seen him overlooked

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 19:22 - Mar 22 with 1279 viewsGlasgowBlue

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 19:12 - Mar 22 by itfcjoe

McGreal was bought in to assist him with the 23s and then within 2 days he is being asked to assist McGreal - he was overlooked.

If Butcher was still here as his assistant and was given the caretaker job ahead of him that would have been the same and seen him overlooked

But JM has had league experience. Ashton was insistent that the season was still very much alive.

The counter to that is McKenna had no league experience. However, being the first team coach at Manchester United is a much bigger step up from being the Under 23's coach at a League One club.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 19:43 - Mar 22 with 1219 viewsFrimleyBlue

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 19:22 - Mar 22 by GlasgowBlue

But JM has had league experience. Ashton was insistent that the season was still very much alive.

The counter to that is McKenna had no league experience. However, being the first team coach at Manchester United is a much bigger step up from being the Under 23's coach at a League One club.

Also.. hasn't the u23s been better since mcgreal has been involved?

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 19:45 - Mar 22 with 1224 viewssouthnorfolkblue

It was a really interesting listen.

I completely respect KD’s honesty and integrity. He’s not on board with the “Project”, so he’s decided to move on. He made it very clear that he wasn’t trying to say who was right and who was wrong, but it wasn’t for him, so he’s decided to walk. Total respect on that front.

Listening to him makes me think that this is the right thing for both parties. He needs to get out of the ITFC bubble where he can learn to be a bit more dispassionate about things. He is clearly very attached to his U23s, but that may be clouding his judgment. The comments about Simpson were interesting but he is being unbelievably naive if he thinks that people aren’t going to speculate about what is going on. That emotion may be off putting for a prospective employer. Ashton made absolutely the right call in not appointing him as interim manager imho.

Poll: Our final position

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 19:50 - Mar 22 with 1198 viewsfooters

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 19:12 - Mar 22 by itfcjoe

I accept that it was slightly underhanded to apparently parachute McGreal in in that capacity as U23 assistant with, presumably, a view to appointing him as interim manager. But the point still stands that both him and Butcher have actual managerial experience where KD has none.

Would it piss me off? Yeah, most likely. But still, you have to give deference to experience. KD has no experience at that level. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and take it. I respect KD's decision but it does seem a bit salty in honesty.

Login to get fewer ads

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 19:55 - Mar 22 with 1177 viewspointofblue

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 19:50 - Mar 22 by footers

I accept that it was slightly underhanded to apparently parachute McGreal in in that capacity as U23 assistant with, presumably, a view to appointing him as interim manager. But the point still stands that both him and Butcher have actual managerial experience where KD has none.

Would it piss me off? Yeah, most likely. But still, you have to give deference to experience. KD has no experience at that level. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and take it. I respect KD's decision but it does seem a bit salty in honesty.

From what KD said he can't be more than 90 minutes from Addenbrookes - how did that work for U23 away games? Because if it meant he couldn't attend then I can understand why the board baulked at appointing him to the first team manager's role.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 19:59 - Mar 22 with 1154 viewsitfcjoe

I think he is just quite honest, and whilst in some situations it is a big bonus in others it may make you look bad and this may be one where people will view it like that. Most would keep to themselves that they felt disrespected by that.

I wonder if this will lead to any clarity from Ashton et al as to what the academy vision is; it seems a fair assumption it is low priority as things stand as it has never been mentioned and we hear from Ashton relatively frequently.

Bristol City were bringing through some decent players and fans didn't want to lose Probert so assume it is part of the plan - Alex Scott and Antoine Semenyo alone must be worth some serious cash - but hope it is being prioritised enough because even though getting out of L1 is the priority, you have to keep attacking all fronts at all times

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 19:59 - Mar 22 with 1146 viewsitfcjoe

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 19:55 - Mar 22 by pointofblue

From what KD said he can't be more than 90 minutes from Addenbrookes - how did that work for U23 away games? Because if it meant he couldn't attend then I can understand why the board baulked at appointing him to the first team manager's role.

The role was there before he was on the donor list

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 20:01 - Mar 22 with 1127 viewsGlasgowBlue

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 19:59 - Mar 22 by itfcjoe

The role was there before he was on the donor list

KD revealed he needed a transplant in October of last year. Cook was sacked in December.

Iron Lion Zion

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 20:05 - Mar 22 with 1113 viewsitfcjoe

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 20:01 - Mar 22 by GlasgowBlue

KD revealed he needed a transplant in October of last year. Cook was sacked in December.

He also said he was put on the list in January, then went to Disneyland with his family

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 20:08 - Mar 22 with 1093 viewsGlasgowBlue

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 20:05 - Mar 22 by itfcjoe

He also said he was put on the list in January, then went to Disneyland with his family

But his health issues would have been a consideration for Ashton and the board. I think it was generally accepted on here that the timing was unfortunate.

Iron Lion Zion

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 20:12 - Mar 22 with 1084 viewsitfcjoe

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 20:08 - Mar 22 by GlasgowBlue

But his health issues would have been a consideration for Ashton and the board. I think it was generally accepted on here that the timing was unfortunate.

McGreal, for whatever reason as hard to understand the link, is one of Ashton's guys - I think that is the main reason why it was him and not KD. I can see why KD was rightly aggrieved

I think most people are in agreement with the view that GC20 and Ashton are taking the club in a great direction and it's a good place - Dyer has been collateral damage in that now, which is a shame, but it's only really a footnote in how things are going currently.

I can't imagine any ITFC is going to 'turn' on the club or something over this

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 20:12 - Mar 22 with 1086 viewsDyland

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 19:45 - Mar 22 by southnorfolkblue

It was a really interesting listen.

I completely respect KD’s honesty and integrity. He’s not on board with the “Project”, so he’s decided to move on. He made it very clear that he wasn’t trying to say who was right and who was wrong, but it wasn’t for him, so he’s decided to walk. Total respect on that front.

Listening to him makes me think that this is the right thing for both parties. He needs to get out of the ITFC bubble where he can learn to be a bit more dispassionate about things. He is clearly very attached to his U23s, but that may be clouding his judgment. The comments about Simpson were interesting but he is being unbelievably naive if he thinks that people aren’t going to speculate about what is going on. That emotion may be off putting for a prospective employer. Ashton made absolutely the right call in not appointing him as interim manager imho.

Bang on.

And massive props to him doing it now, regardless of what 'timing' may seem 'right' to people with nowt to do with the club outside of being a supporter. As you say, integrity and honesty, which will stand him in good stead whatever he does and wherever he goes.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 20:16 - Mar 22 with 1071 viewsBondiBlue

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 16:07 - Mar 22 by itfcjoe

When we had the very first fans forum I asked Ashton about going Cat 1 and he totally dismissed it, at the weekends game I was sat up by the press boxes for a pre season friendly and then all the coaches came and sat near to me.

Dyer turned round to me and said "great question at the forum" and when I said I was surprised at how quickly it was shot down he said he was to as was the other members of the academy in what became our chat and isn't fair for me to name. That was the first they'd heard that.

I don't know Dyer to speak to, he wouldn't know me from Adam - but he recognised me from that question and specifically broiught it up which I was quite taken aback by.

We then went out and signed 19 first team players, and no one from the 23s has had a look in all season - whilst our first team were floundering our U23s are rolling along at more than 2 points per game and scoring more than 2 goals per game.

Without being rude the simplistic view is the one in your final sentence - it hasn't been the case for a long time now. Managers have to actively give players an opportunity when they deserve it - what more could they be doing to earn one?

I imagine that the difference in ethos between Dyer and the powers that be is that they want more of a player trading model than one that focuses on bring ing players through

I think it goes beyond managers looking to give players a chance. They need to not sign players in the youngsters position. Everyone will turn around and say 'yeah but he's done nothing at col u', and maybe he won't fulfil his potential, but dobra had no chance from the minute we signed all those number 10s in the summer, even though he started the season well. The El mizouni situation is ridiculous too. Bakinson has been very inconsistent yet is automatic pick ahead of him. Again, el mizouni has been genuinely impressive every time i've seen him. Then there's simpson, whose comtract wrangle phil seemed to confirm on here was about a lack of pathway rather than money.

Well done and thank you KD for making a stand over this. People seem to think 'the ipswich way' is a style of football but it's not. It's about trusting youth.

Poll: Which would you accept?

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 20:24 - Mar 22 with 1045 viewsjayessess

When you're in KD's situation you are dependent on people having faith in your ability in order to move up, ultimately. It's perfectly reasonable to be disappointed that you haven't got that backing. I think McGreal did a decent job but I'm not sure it was so obvious that his experience in League 2 should've trumped Dyer's ability if the club rated him.

Probably rational on his part to conclude that a club that doesn't want to let him manage 3/4 games ahead of a middling League 2 manager isn't ever going to give him the opportunities he clearly wants.
[Post edited 22 Mar 2022 20:32]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 20:31 - Mar 22 with 1008 viewsgtsb1966

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 20:16 - Mar 22 by BondiBlue

I think it goes beyond managers looking to give players a chance. They need to not sign players in the youngsters position. Everyone will turn around and say 'yeah but he's done nothing at col u', and maybe he won't fulfil his potential, but dobra had no chance from the minute we signed all those number 10s in the summer, even though he started the season well. The El mizouni situation is ridiculous too. Bakinson has been very inconsistent yet is automatic pick ahead of him. Again, el mizouni has been genuinely impressive every time i've seen him. Then there's simpson, whose comtract wrangle phil seemed to confirm on here was about a lack of pathway rather than money.

Well done and thank you KD for making a stand over this. People seem to think 'the ipswich way' is a style of football but it's not. It's about trusting youth.

" the Ipswich way" has been such a roaring success over the last twenty years.
The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 20:40 - Mar 22 with 938 viewsfooters

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 20:24 - Mar 22 by jayessess

When you're in KD's situation you are dependent on people having faith in your ability in order to move up, ultimately. It's perfectly reasonable to be disappointed that you haven't got that backing. I think McGreal did a decent job but I'm not sure it was so obvious that his experience in League 2 should've trumped Dyer's ability if the club rated him.

Probably rational on his part to conclude that a club that doesn't want to let him manage 3/4 games ahead of a middling League 2 manager isn't ever going to give him the opportunities he clearly wants.
[Post edited 22 Mar 2022 20:32]

Don't get me wrong, I'd have loved to have seen him being given a shot for those few games. And, if we're honest, I think McGreal coming back in any capacity surprised us all! So no gripes with how KD must have felt given his time served here.

He obviously has higher ambitions now and good luck to him. But just giving the opposite side of the coin if you like. Can totally understand why he'd feel like he does.

Hope he goes out, earns his stripes somewhere (and from the interview seems like he wouldn't be too proud to reject many jobs out of hand) and come back again in another capacity. The stuff about views not aligning did worry me but not sure what can be read into that without using too much tinfoil.

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 20:42 - Mar 22 with 934 viewsitfcjoe

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 20:31 - Mar 22 by gtsb1966

" the Ipswich way" has been such a roaring success over the last twenty years.

Well we haven't seen it since Mgilton was here, which managers since then have trusted young players, rather than just sign whoever they can get their hands on

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 20:51 - Mar 22 with 886 viewsFrimleyBlue

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 20:42 - Mar 22 by itfcjoe

Well we haven't seen it since Mgilton was here, which managers since then have trusted young players, rather than just sign whoever they can get their hands on

How long can you trust the youth before the fans get on their backs tho, look at wolfy..

When I was going to PR itself, fans seemed patient with youngsters, they understood they needed time. Now with social media driving the narrative, it takes 1 pass sideways and there's groans about their lack of attacking ability and showing their inexperience etc.

Waka waka eh eh

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 20:54 - Mar 22 with 877 viewsjayessess

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 20:40 - Mar 22 by footers

Don't get me wrong, I'd have loved to have seen him being given a shot for those few games. And, if we're honest, I think McGreal coming back in any capacity surprised us all! So no gripes with how KD must have felt given his time served here.

He obviously has higher ambitions now and good luck to him. But just giving the opposite side of the coin if you like. Can totally understand why he'd feel like he does.

Hope he goes out, earns his stripes somewhere (and from the interview seems like he wouldn't be too proud to reject many jobs out of hand) and come back again in another capacity. The stuff about views not aligning did worry me but not sure what can be read into that without using too much tinfoil.

Let's hope someone gives him the chance. Don't think it's outlandish at all to say that any white player with his playing career wouldn't have to beg for interviews at National League clubs.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 21:11 - Mar 22 with 809 viewsFrimleyBlue

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 20:54 - Mar 22 by jayessess

Let's hope someone gives him the chance. Don't think it's outlandish at all to say that any white player with his playing career wouldn't have to beg for interviews at National League clubs.

Why has race got to come into it? He's an ex player who's managed an u23 side, without any successes whilst doing so and has had 2 very experienced ex players and managers assisting him ( co managing? )... just because they'd be a national league club, doesn't mean they're just going to give Dyer a chance because he once played football at a high level.
Let alone his health problems, which whilst good at present, when that call comes, he's got to take time out.

Waka waka eh eh

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 21:15 - Mar 22 with 791 viewsGlasgowBlue

The Dyer interview with Statman is fascinating on 21:11 - Mar 22 by FrimleyBlue

Why has race got to come into it? He's an ex player who's managed an u23 side, without any successes whilst doing so and has had 2 very experienced ex players and managers assisting him ( co managing? )... just because they'd be a national league club, doesn't mean they're just going to give Dyer a chance because he once played football at a high level.
Let alone his health problems, which whilst good at present, when that call comes, he's got to take time out.

As he reminded us in the interview, he was part of the golden generation. His white contemporaries such as Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney and Neville have walked into high profile jobs despite having no managerial experience.

His black contemporaries have had to go down the route of being pundits. Black ex players are disproportionately underrepresented.

Iron Lion Zion

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024