Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chaplin 09:51 - Aug 21 with 2450 viewsBlueySwede

I was maybe a little harsh when I rated him 7 for the first two games, but as I wrote at the time it was not a dig, he is a fantastic player, I just thought he was taking a little bit too long to get his shots away..
Anyway. How the heck does he get up so quickly to finish that chance of Saturday? Down on the ground in one millisecond, scoring the next! Gets better with each viewing.
Chaplin on 09:53 - Aug 21 with 2425 viewsNthQldITFC

I've watched it back numerous times from the perspective of a bit of a physicist, and I have come to the conclusion that Newton was talking ballocks.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Chaplin on 09:58 - Aug 21 with 2360 viewsblueasfook

He was up again so quickly. Like he was made of rubber and just bounced back up. I think that was what caught the keeper out. He just wasnt expecting Chaplin to be up so quickly and getting a shot off.

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Chaplin on 09:59 - Aug 21 with 2352 viewswkj

I was not a fan of Chaplin in his first season here as he always seemed to be way too heavy on his first touch. That said, McKenna has worked wonders with him and he's way surpassed all expectations since the start of last season.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Chaplin on 10:19 - Aug 21 with 2265 viewsChurchman

Chaplin on 09:59 - Aug 21 by wkj

I was not a fan of Chaplin in his first season here as he always seemed to be way too heavy on his first touch. That said, McKenna has worked wonders with him and he's way surpassed all expectations since the start of last season.

Chaplin gets into places defenders don’t like - the hallmark of a good player. It was noticeable Stoke surrounded him like the Alamo as often as they could.

Yes, his first touch can be heavy at times but what I like is that he never shirks, is always available and given half a chance will shoot. The old cliche is you won’t win the raffle if you don’t buy a ticket and he certainly does that.

He must be a swine to play against not least because while he’s small, he’s strong with that low centre of gravity. Chaplin gets on and works well with the midfield and in Hirst he has in front of him such an unselfish player.

Chaplin will score a lot of goals this season - hopefully! And if teams load up on him, it’ll free others. It’s no wonder sides run out of steam against us.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2023 10:30]
He's a bit of a phenomenon on 10:24 - Aug 21 with 2243 viewsDyland

Does he have, like... actual super powers? I watch him, and think he's good, rather than excellent (not a dig, just measuring against genuinely excellent players). Then he does something that defies the laws of physics. Having thought he'd do a good job in this league, now I'm starting to think he has a higher ceiling, and hard to see an upgrade that isn't a decent Prem player. He clearly works hard in training, and if he can carry on improving we have an absolute gem.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Aahahahaha, snap! on 10:25 - Aug 21 with 2235 viewsDyland

Chaplin on 09:53 - Aug 21 by NthQldITFC

I've watched it back numerous times from the perspective of a bit of a physicist, and I have come to the conclusion that Newton was talking ballocks.

:)

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Chaplin on 10:26 - Aug 21 with 2236 viewstextbackup

I said the same walking back from the ground, a bloke explained (whilst drunk but it made such sense at the time) because CC has little legs he was able to spring up and get foot to it

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

He's a bit of a phenomenon on 10:28 - Aug 21 with 2214 viewswkj

He's a bit of a phenomenon on 10:24 - Aug 21 by Dyland

Does he have, like... actual super powers? I watch him, and think he's good, rather than excellent (not a dig, just measuring against genuinely excellent players). Then he does something that defies the laws of physics. Having thought he'd do a good job in this league, now I'm starting to think he has a higher ceiling, and hard to see an upgrade that isn't a decent Prem player. He clearly works hard in training, and if he can carry on improving we have an absolute gem.

I have looked at the goal many times over and the fact he manages to get contact on the ball to make the shot is way more impressive than the goal itself. He's one of the hungriest looking players we've had on the books for a long time. Definitely going to play in the premier league at this rate.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Login to get fewer ads

Chaplin on 10:31 - Aug 21 with 2202 viewsGlasgowBlue

Chaplin on 09:58 - Aug 21 by blueasfook

He was up again so quickly. Like he was made of rubber and just bounced back up. I think that was what caught the keeper out. He just wasnt expecting Chaplin to be up so quickly and getting a shot off.

This freeze frame makes it even more amazing that he was first to the ball.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Chaplin on 10:36 - Aug 21 with 2175 viewsGuthrum

To be fair, he has less distance to get up than pretty much anyone else on the pitch. Which, combined with his quick thinking, is a definite advantage*.

Much prefer that to Hirst lying on the ground with outstretched arms as the ball and everyone else disappear down the other end.

* Maradona was about the same height. As is Messi.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Chaplin on 10:38 - Aug 21 with 2172 viewshomer_123

Chaplin on 10:36 - Aug 21 by Guthrum

To be fair, he has less distance to get up than pretty much anyone else on the pitch. Which, combined with his quick thinking, is a definite advantage*.

Much prefer that to Hirst lying on the ground with outstretched arms as the ball and everyone else disappear down the other end.

* Maradona was about the same height. As is Messi.

No Jay Tabb though?

[Post edited 21 Aug 2023 10:39]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Chaplin on 10:39 - Aug 21 with 2159 viewsGuthrum

Chaplin on 10:38 - Aug 21 by homer_123

No Jay Tabb though?

He's taller than that.

Chaplin on 10:51 - Aug 21 with 2113 viewsGuthrum

Chaplin on 10:31 - Aug 21 by GlasgowBlue

This freeze frame makes it even more amazing that he was first to the ball.

He's got one arm (probably both) braced against the ground and his left boot ready to grip the turf. It's a dynamic posture (unlike that of the fallen QPR defender) already on his way back up. Also, the ball will finish its bounce closer to him than anyone else.

Still a real physical feat, but it's because (similarly to a goalie making a save) he hasn't at any point stopped thinking about getting to the ball whatever the position, attitude and movement of his body.

Chaplin on 10:54 - Aug 21 with 2096 viewsGlasgowBlue

Chaplin on 10:51 - Aug 21 by Guthrum

He's got one arm (probably both) braced against the ground and his left boot ready to grip the turf. It's a dynamic posture (unlike that of the fallen QPR defender) already on his way back up. Also, the ball will finish its bounce closer to him than anyone else.

Still a real physical feat, but it's because (similarly to a goalie making a save) he hasn't at any point stopped thinking about getting to the ball whatever the position, attitude and movement of his body.

Alos credit to Hirst in that picture as he's blocking one of the defenders from the ball.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Chaplin on 10:56 - Aug 21 with 2070 viewsBigCommon

Saw a still shot yesterday of the QPR box, just before he scores.. 4 defenders stand in upright around him, and Chappers is horizontal on the deck...He had absolutely no right to be first to that ball. But he was up in a flash, wanted it more, super reactions, left em for dead, and got his rewards... The goal was described as a bit of a scrappy one on BBC. But the more you watch it, the better it looks....
Also, this was in 75th minute. So the intense fitness training paying off imo. Keeping players like Chaplin, alert and sharp. Whilst oppo are waining....
I don't think your 7 was a harsh score previously..7 is a good score for me.. Assuming players are starting on a 5. 5 would be OK/meh. 6 would be good. . 7 would be very good. 8 Excellent. 9.Brilliant.... 10s don't get given, or very very rarely..
[Post edited 21 Aug 2023 10:58]
Chaplin on 10:57 - Aug 21 with 2064 viewsHerbivore

It's not just the getting up, it's the generating enough power in the shot to score that gets me. You'd imagine he might just get there first and toe poke it straight to the keeper at 5mph, but he manages to get a decent bit of pace on the ball.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Chaplin on 11:01 - Aug 21 with 2020 viewsGuthrum

Chaplin on 10:57 - Aug 21 by Herbivore

It's not just the getting up, it's the generating enough power in the shot to score that gets me. You'd imagine he might just get there first and toe poke it straight to the keeper at 5mph, but he manages to get a decent bit of pace on the ball.

And direction, through the legs of the defender and into the far corner.

Chaplin on 15:56 - Aug 21 with 1758 viewsFrimleyBlue

Chaplin on 09:59 - Aug 21 by wkj

Chaplin pre KM was never used correctly imo. As KM said and Chappers himself.. he's the player the you want the ball to get to in the box. Pre KM he barely was given the chance to be that player and spent most of games doing cook work outside the box. That's not him.

Like Jackson for KM. He has weaknesses. But KM uses his strengths.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Chaplin on 16:00 - Aug 21 with 1726 viewshoppy

Chaplin on 10:38 - Aug 21 by homer_123

No Jay Tabb though?

Indeed.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Chaplin on 16:01 - Aug 21 with 1728 viewstextbackup

Chaplin on 10:57 - Aug 21 by Herbivore

You’d be raging at the defender for not getting a block on that though wouldn’t you. Literally chuck your life on the line in them situations

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Chaplin on 17:40 - Aug 21 with 1622 viewsVic

Chaplin on 09:58 - Aug 21 by blueasfook

Made the defender who seemed set for a leisurely kick away look a bit silly as well didnt he! Fantastically quick reflexes from Chappers.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Chaplin on 17:46 - Aug 21 with 1594 viewsSwansea_Blue

If he hadn’t got up, that would have been a nailed on penalty, Shirley? Had his standing leg pulled out from under him. I’d rather he got up though.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Chaplin on 20:54 - Aug 21 with 1488 viewsburnbudgiesburn

In the first 2 games I was actually thrilled to see he was still getting a ton of space in those pockets behind Hirst even at this level.

Surely other teams must realise that is how we play? Maybe 8 times out of 10 we look for the pull back into space from the byline, rather than hit the 'corridor of uncertainty' you would normally expect for your forward.

It's why Hirst will do well this season to finish on 10-12 goals from 46 games.
Chaplin on 21:07 - Aug 21 with 1434 viewsmonty_radio

Chaplin on 10:19 - Aug 21 by Churchman

Chaplin gets into places defenders don’t like - the hallmark of a good player. It was noticeable Stoke surrounded him like the Alamo as often as they could.

Yes, his first touch can be heavy at times but what I like is that he never shirks, is always available and given half a chance will shoot. The old cliche is you won’t win the raffle if you don’t buy a ticket and he certainly does that.

He must be a swine to play against not least because while he’s small, he’s strong with that low centre of gravity. Chaplin gets on and works well with the midfield and in Hirst he has in front of him such an unselfish player.

Chaplin will score a lot of goals this season - hopefully! And if teams load up on him, it’ll free others. It’s no wonder sides run out of steam against us.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2023 10:30]

Older viewers may perhaps detect some similarity with a certain Eric Gates

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Chaplin on 10:27 - Aug 22 with 1235 viewsRobTheMonk

Chaplin on 15:56 - Aug 21 by FrimleyBlue

Chaplin pre KM was never used correctly imo. As KM said and Chappers himself.. he's the player the you want the ball to get to in the box. Pre KM he barely was given the chance to be that player and spent most of games doing cook work outside the box. That's not him.

Like Jackson for KM. He has weaknesses. But KM uses his strengths.

I was banging this drum for ages before it happened. Always said you want Chappers in and around the final third for him to hurt teams and lo and behold…

When he first came in under Cook, he was incredibly frustrating. Used to try all these Neymar flicks that never came off and would get the ball too deep. KMC has really worked with his strengths and it’s paying dividends.

He’s not the player you want creating, he’s the one you want banging in the creators passes. Look how much he’s improved since Broadhead arrive too. They complement each other very well.

Wonderful presser too. He’s a Duracell bunny.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024