Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Has a keeper played as an outfield player? 09:25 - Sep 20 with 5680 viewsNthQldITFC

Obviously outfield players have played in goal, particularly in the good old days of one sub (or no subs), or if all subs have been used and a keeper sent off, but can anyone remember a sub keeper coming on for an outfield player, or even a keeper swapping with an outfield player? Is this even allowed?

Not a pi55 take, just a question engendered by a comment on another thread, and I'm talking about pro football, not non-league or parks football - we've all been there!

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Has a keeper played as an outfield player? on 09:28 - Sep 20 with 4016 viewsbluewein

David James for Man City. Oh, the bants...

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Has a keeper played as an outfield player? on 09:30 - Sep 20 with 4006 viewsITFC_Forever

When ex-Town player Steve Palmer played for Watford, they won promotion and throughout the season, he started a game in every shirt from 2 to 11 (was before squad numbers), so for the final game, he started the game in goal thus completing the set.
The regular goalie started on pitch, so as soon as Watford got the ball, they booted it in to the stands and Palmer and the usual GK swapped over in to their usual positions.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Has a keeper played as an outfield player? on 09:30 - Sep 20 with 4005 viewsCurrie10

Rene Higuita arguably made the 11th man whilst in goal on many a game!

What a talented player.
Has a keeper played as an outfield player? on 09:35 - Sep 20 with 3984 viewsericclacton

Has a keeper played as an outfield player? on 09:39 - Sep 20 with 3970 viewsSteve_M

Alan Fettis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Fettis

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Has a keeper played as an outfield player? on 09:50 - Sep 20 with 3924 viewsSwansea_Blue

There's that keeper who takes his team's freekicks and penalties. Can't remember his name though.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Has a keeper played as an outfield player? on 09:52 - Sep 20 with 3921 viewsfactual_blue

Has a keeper played as an outfield player? on 09:50 - Sep 20 by Swansea_Blue

There's that keeper who takes his team's freekicks and penalties. Can't remember his name though.

For part of the season in which Man Utd were relegated, 'keeper Alex Stepney was for a while their penalty taker and top scorer.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Has a keeper played as an outfield player? on 09:54 - Sep 20 with 3917 viewsBasuco

Has a keeper played as an outfield player? on 09:28 - Sep 20 by bluewein

was that when a striker was left on the bench and James went up front and second keeper came on?
Login to get fewer ads

Has a keeper played as an outfield player? on 09:55 - Sep 20 with 3911 viewsHerbivore

Chilavert.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Has a keeper played as an outfield player? on 10:27 - Sep 20 with 3859 viewsCurrie10

Has a keeper played as an outfield player? on 09:55 - Sep 20 by Herbivore

Chilavert.

What a player.
Has a keeper played as an outfield player? on 10:35 - Sep 20 with 3840 viewsSwansea_Blue

Has a keeper played as an outfield player? on 09:55 - Sep 20 by Herbivore

Chilavert.

That's him. Over 50 goals in about 700 games for club and country. Our midfielders struggle to hit that goals:game ratio!

Has a keeper played as an outfield player? on 10:59 - Sep 20 with 3787 viewsTractorCam

Rogerio Ceni

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Has a keeper played as an outfield player? on 11:04 - Sep 20 with 3771 viewsJ2BLUE

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/1455635.stm

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Has a keeper played as an outfield player? on 11:06 - Sep 20 with 3762 viewsSwansea_Blue

Has a keeper played as an outfield player? on 10:59 - Sep 20 by TractorCam

Rogerio Ceni

And him!

Has a keeper played as an outfield player? on 11:07 - Sep 20 with 3759 viewsrickw

Has a keeper played as an outfield player? on 10:59 - Sep 20 by TractorCam

Rogerio Ceni

Ceni - 131 career goals!
Hans-Jorg Butt was the German keeper I was thinking of...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_goalscoring_goalkeepers

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Has a keeper played as an outfield player? on 11:09 - Sep 20 with 3750 viewsFreddies_Ears

Shane Supple, for Ipswich! It was a pre-season friendly, and he came on for the last 10-15 minutes at left back. I don't remember the year or opposition, though I have a feeling it was in Ireland.
Has a keeper played as an outfield player? on 11:21 - Sep 20 with 3719 viewsJakeITFC

Has a keeper played as an outfield player? on 09:28 - Sep 20 by bluewein

Stuart Pearce also did it for England U21s, bringing on (I think) Joe Lewis as an outfielder.
Has a keeper played as an outfield player? on 11:47 - Sep 20 with 3677 viewsStadiumofdark

I often wonder whether Spence is a keeper... he's certainly not a RB
Has a keeper played as an outfield player? on 12:43 - Sep 20 with 3610 viewsSuperblue95

Has a keeper played as an outfield player? on 11:21 - Sep 20 by JakeITFC

Stuart Pearce also did it for England U21s, bringing on (I think) Joe Lewis as an outfielder.

Joe Lewis- now there's a name I haven't heard in a while. His career certainly fell off the face of the earth

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Has a keeper played as an outfield player? on 12:48 - Sep 20 with 3592 viewsClapham_Junction

There was an article on this in When Saturday Comes recently and they highlighted Tony Read, a goalkeeper at Luton in the 1960s who played several games up front and went through one spell where he scored 12 goals in 20 games (including one hat-trick)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Read
Has a keeper played as an outfield player? on 19:46 - Sep 20 with 3446 viewsMJR101

Just after we won the cup, Paul Cooper played left wing against F.C. Bruges in a pre season game.
Has a keeper played as an outfield player? on 19:48 - Sep 20 with 3443 viewsconnorscontract

Has a keeper played as an outfield player? on 09:30 - Sep 20 by ITFC_Forever

When ex-Town player Steve Palmer played for Watford, they won promotion and throughout the season, he started a game in every shirt from 2 to 11 (was before squad numbers), so for the final game, he started the game in goal thus completing the set.
The regular goalie started on pitch, so as soon as Watford got the ball, they booted it in to the stands and Palmer and the usual GK swapped over in to their usual positions.

Great fact!
Has a keeper played as an outfield player? on 19:49 - Sep 20 with 3437 viewsconnorscontract

Chilavert used to.
Has a keeper played as an outfield player? on 20:55 - Sep 20 with 3392 viewspatrickswell

Has a keeper played as an outfield player? on 12:48 - Sep 20 by Clapham_Junction

There was an article on this in When Saturday Comes recently and they highlighted Tony Read, a goalkeeper at Luton in the 1960s who played several games up front and went through one spell where he scored 12 goals in 20 games (including one hat-trick)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Read

Maintaining the Luton link, towards the end of his career, I remember Les Sealey having to come on as sub for West Ham and play as an outfield player in a game against Arsenal. I suppose that, while it may be a rare eventuality, it’s one of the reasons why goalkeepers are expected to be as fit as any other member of a squad.
Has a keeper played as an outfield player? on 01:43 - Sep 21 with 3279 viewsFifeITFC

Has a keeper played as an outfield player? on 12:43 - Sep 20 by Superblue95

Joe Lewis- now there's a name I haven't heard in a while. His career certainly fell off the face of the earth

Believe he's been first choice at Aberdeen for the past 2 seasons.

Poll: Lambert goes, would you prefer an ex-Town connection replacement or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024