Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Only three EPL clubs making pre tax profit? 20:35 - Apr 4 with 2040 viewsAlberto_the_frog

Premier League clubs' £1bn of losses in 11 charts - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68713522

Surely the industry's business model is broken
Only three EPL clubs making pre tax profit? on 20:48 - Apr 4 with 1960 viewsKievthegreat

For 2014-2023, Nottingham Forest's net transfer spend was near enough the same as Real Madrid (£266m vs £278m), despite only having 1 full season in the Premier league by that point!

Bournemouth also spend the same amount as Bayern Munich (£294m vs £295m)
[Post edited 4 Apr 20:49]
Only three EPL clubs making pre tax profit? on 20:55 - Apr 4 with 1936 viewsSwansea_Blue

Only three EPL clubs making pre tax profit? on 20:48 - Apr 4 by Kievthegreat

For 2014-2023, Nottingham Forest's net transfer spend was near enough the same as Real Madrid (£266m vs £278m), despite only having 1 full season in the Premier league by that point!

Forest went nuts, didn’t they? That the trouble with business types running football clubs. They’re used to the power of money and think it’s the answer to all problems. It isn’t in football (but generally helps).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Only three EPL clubs making pre tax profit? on 22:49 - Apr 4 with 1766 viewsMark

It makes you wonder how the investors in ITFC hope to make a return on their money, even if we get promoted to the Premier League. How can we be competitive on the pitch and make a financial return to pay back the vast investment?
Only three EPL clubs making pre tax profit? on 22:52 - Apr 4 with 1754 viewsElderGrizzly

Only three EPL clubs making pre tax profit? on 22:49 - Apr 4 by Mark

It makes you wonder how the investors in ITFC hope to make a return on their money, even if we get promoted to the Premier League. How can we be competitive on the pitch and make a financial return to pay back the vast investment?

We can’t unless we do like Brighton and sell on players to idiots like Chelsea for tens of millions.

They’ll be banking on someone else buying the club at an inflated price to get their return.
Only three EPL clubs making pre tax profit? on 00:05 - Apr 5 with 1657 viewsbournemouthblue

Only three EPL clubs making pre tax profit? on 20:55 - Apr 4 by Swansea_Blue

Forest went nuts, didn’t they? That the trouble with business types running football clubs. They’re used to the power of money and think it’s the answer to all problems. It isn’t in football (but generally helps).

Forest just about got away with it last year and lucked out on the three promoted sides being pap this year

I think in Nuno Esprito Santo, they have probably found a safe pair of hands too which is disappointing

I think Villa threw a fair amount at staying up in a season that Norwich were there also from memory and again just about got away with it and haven't looked back since

Forest surviving this year won't be great for us next year I suspect because I think they can kick on potentially after that

That said, we'd probably want Luton to survive too, that's other weaker club potentially to compete with next season

Probably a best case scenario is we go up automatically and then someone who isn't Leeds, Saints or Leicester wins the playoffs

That will give us a better chance of surviving if promoted imho

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

It’s the wages, innit on 08:07 - Apr 5 with 1453 viewsunstableblue

The brand has never been stronger, the TV revenue never higher, the commercial revenues at bigger clubs are remarkable…

…. but the agents and the hothouse market for talent has been out for control for years. £196k per week AVERAGE at Man City. Lowest is £41k per week at Fulham. £2.1m to £10.2m per year a player?!

Then you bring in £100m+ transfer fees.

Insane and unsustainable.

The lifestyles of footballers are distastefully lavish and wages need immediate challenge - having said that they should be rewarded accordingly once sustainable profits are returned by clubs.

The only way to make profit is to be extremely successful on the pitch, or brilliantly astute in the transfer market.

Having said that and even with that background some see positive signs in the Arsenal numbers for the future.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Only three EPL clubs making pre tax profit? on 08:14 - Apr 5 with 1440 viewscbower

It's embarrassing in the extreme and a worry for ITFC. with Brighton looking like the model of sustainability through player trading, you have to ask how long can that go on? Two or three poor transfer windows and their model will blow up. Brentford, imho, will go down in the next three seasons and their model will be in jeopardy. Football, as my old fella used to say, will go up its own backside. He was clearly 30 years ahead of his time.

bluescouser

This really stood out on Brighton on 08:21 - Apr 5 with 1411 viewsunstableblue

Only three EPL clubs making pre tax profit? on 22:52 - Apr 4 by ElderGrizzly

We can’t unless we do like Brighton and sell on players to idiots like Chelsea for tens of millions.

They’ll be banking on someone else buying the club at an inflated price to get their return.

“As BBC Sport reported this week, Brighton's profits of £123m after tax for 2022-23 were a Premier League record - and did not even include the combined £125m sale of Moises Caicedo and Roberto Sanchez to Chelsea.”

So I’d suggest Brighton will exceed the Premiership club profit record again in 23/24. Indeed smash it.

Shows the value of off-field set-up like recruitment beyond the manager.

You could say Town could make £35m on Davis and Broadhead already.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Login to get fewer ads

That will be the plan on 08:27 - Apr 5 with 1400 viewsDyland

Endless flipping innit. I'm still waiting for the Sultan of Brunei to buy an English club :)

I'll be done with it if ITFC is acquired by a sovereign fund. Tbh, even though it will be amazing to be promoted and these last couple of years have been simply fantastic to watch, I'm not that bothered about the Prem and am almost done with my ST regardless. Not to take away anything from the current arfs of course, but as written elsewhere the whole shebang ain't sustainable and wages are actually embarrassing to humanity.

Er COYFB!

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Only three EPL clubs making pre tax profit? on 09:25 - Apr 5 with 1305 viewsGeoffSentence

Only three EPL clubs making pre tax profit? on 00:05 - Apr 5 by bournemouthblue

Forest just about got away with it last year and lucked out on the three promoted sides being pap this year

I think in Nuno Esprito Santo, they have probably found a safe pair of hands too which is disappointing

I think Villa threw a fair amount at staying up in a season that Norwich were there also from memory and again just about got away with it and haven't looked back since

Forest surviving this year won't be great for us next year I suspect because I think they can kick on potentially after that

That said, we'd probably want Luton to survive too, that's other weaker club potentially to compete with next season

Probably a best case scenario is we go up automatically and then someone who isn't Leeds, Saints or Leicester wins the playoffs

In the same vein, anyone who does get promoted will be hoping that we go up with them, rather than one of "The Big Three".

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

It’s the wages, innit on 10:00 - Apr 5 with 1242 viewsGuthrum

It’s the wages, innit on 08:07 - Apr 5 by unstableblue

The brand has never been stronger, the TV revenue never higher, the commercial revenues at bigger clubs are remarkable…

…. but the agents and the hothouse market for talent has been out for control for years. £196k per week AVERAGE at Man City. Lowest is £41k per week at Fulham. £2.1m to £10.2m per year a player?!

Then you bring in £100m+ transfer fees.

Insane and unsustainable.

The lifestyles of footballers are distastefully lavish and wages need immediate challenge - having said that they should be rewarded accordingly once sustainable profits are returned by clubs.

The only way to make profit is to be extremely successful on the pitch, or brilliantly astute in the transfer market.

Having said that and even with that background some see positive signs in the Arsenal numbers for the future.

That's really the nub of the issue. Cash flowing into the game has merely provoked massive inflation.

Stoked further by a constant arms race to get the best players. Success has to be instant, managers don't last long enough to develop people and grow squads*. Development is mostly outsourced via the loan market, anyway - which results in lower level clubs paying chunks of inflated Prem reserve wages.

* One poor season will get you the chop. Ten Haag showed some improvement in 2022-23 (League Cup, FA Cup final, 3rd in the Prem). This time has dropped back and now he's under massive pressure.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Only three EPL clubs making pre tax profit? on 10:08 - Apr 5 with 1206 viewsGuthrum

Only three EPL clubs making pre tax profit? on 22:49 - Apr 4 by Mark

There are ways to do it on top of selling all our players.

Firstly, the investors can sell all or part of their stake. Given the value has already gone up considerably, there should be a decent return.

They can raise money based on the value of their assets.

They can use the leverage of the football club to develop leisure/retail projects which have added value and potential returns largely decoupled from league performance.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Only three EPL clubs making pre tax profit? on 10:22 - Apr 5 with 1175 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

“ They’ll be banking on someone else buying the club at an inflated price to get their return.”

This, flipping it on to the next billionaire/authoritarian state/investment fund with more money than sense.

English football seems to be the next tech bubble - the unicorns and Tesla’s of the world that never make any money, but have a Market Cap bigger than some countries, based purely on potential.
Only three EPL clubs making pre tax profit? on 11:12 - Apr 5 with 1092 viewsyorkshireblue

Only three EPL clubs making pre tax profit? on 00:05 - Apr 5 by bournemouthblue

With a likley Premier League points reduction looming, I would have thought most people would want Leciester to up with them (whever they support)?
Only three EPL clubs making pre tax profit? on 07:44 - Apr 6 with 750 viewsBlue_In_Boston

Only three EPL clubs making pre tax profit? on 20:48 - Apr 4 by Kievthegreat

Bournemouth's income through the turnstile is probably similar to that of Bayern despite the size of grounds. German football very affordable, usually under €10 on the day, season tickets at give away amounts compared to our rip-off prices here.
Only three EPL clubs making pre tax profit? on 08:00 - Apr 6 with 722 viewsChrisd

The EPL seen by many as the promised land, where in reality it is the graveyard for financially ruining clubs.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Only three EPL clubs making pre tax profit? on 08:28 - Apr 6 with 676 viewsCheltenham_Blue

And the only really way to do that is to continue to develop the club.
No point dropping back into the Championship every other year.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Only three EPL clubs making pre tax profit? on 08:54 - Apr 6 with 654 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Only three EPL clubs making pre tax profit? on 08:00 - Apr 6 by Chrisd

The EPL seen by many as the promised land, where in reality it is the graveyard for financially ruining clubs.

Conversely, 50% of the Premier League are amongst the top 20 revenue generating clubs worldwide.
16 of the 20 Premier League clubs make the top 30.
[Post edited 6 Apr 8:57]

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Only three EPL clubs making pre tax profit? on 08:58 - Apr 6 with 642 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Only three EPL clubs making pre tax profit? on 07:44 - Apr 6 by Blue_In_Boston

Bournemouth's income through the turnstile is probably similar to that of Bayern despite the size of grounds. German football very affordable, usually under €10 on the day, season tickets at give away amounts compared to our rip-off prices here.

I’m not sure which team you have been too but whenever I’ve been to German football it’s been about 3 times that - even in 2 Bundesliga. A Quick Look at Bayern’s price list suggests the cheapest (seated for a like for like comparison) is €40.

I didn’t disagree that the Germans have the ownership model nailed down, but having visited Germany many times and attended games there, I think the cheap ticket thing is a myth (unless there are perhaps teams with oversized World Cup statiums like FC Koln that give away tickets to fill a ground that’s too big).
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024