Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Referees inability to prevent time wasting 12:36 - Feb 12 with 5712 viewskizaitfc

It frustrates the life out of me, they stand there like they have no options and are unable to prevent it.

Just grow a pair and book the player and if he does it again send him off.

The fact the referee on Saturday is supposed to be a prem ref was more shocking.

What I found more shocking was the lino shouting at Fridge over an offside he didn't give that was blatantly offside. The refs don't help themselves when they are as arrogant as that, just hold your hands up and say I may have got that wrong but I thought he was onside.

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 12:39 - Feb 12 with 3250 viewsSitfcB

Yeah I saw the lino having it out with Edmundson and thought that was a bit weird. The Prem officials are the same standard as Championship ones but just with an attitude.

At the start of the season we were getting yellow cards left right and centre for ‘time wasting’ when we weren’t, poor old Vas got carded 3 games in a row.

Now they don’t seem to bother.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 12:47 - Feb 12 with 3221 viewsstonojnr

There's an element of are refs arrogant, or do arrogant people just become refs.

They almost have to be utterly convinced they're always right to do the job.

That said they were woeful at dealing with time wasting.when you'd feel telling a player I'm right do that again and you're booked would be an asset, but he just kept blowing his whistle and waving at them.

So obviously they kept doing it and waiting for the whistle

Remember he only added 2mins in the first half and that included the goal
Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 12:52 - Feb 12 with 3181 viewsUSA

I was thinking about this after Saturday. Because various players can take turns in time wasting and can spread it out over the team, when it occurs I would book the captain. If it occurs again, book the captain again. (Don’t slow them to change the captain).

Something has to be done. It was so blatant from WBA from the off on Sat. Very frustrating.
Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 13:06 - Feb 12 with 3080 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 12:52 - Feb 12 by USA

I was thinking about this after Saturday. Because various players can take turns in time wasting and can spread it out over the team, when it occurs I would book the captain. If it occurs again, book the captain again. (Don’t slow them to change the captain).

Something has to be done. It was so blatant from WBA from the off on Sat. Very frustrating.

I'm not sure that would be the right way to go but I see your point.

It should be fairly simple. Before the game the Ref tells the managers and captains. You get one warning as a team, after that its a yellow card regardless if its first offence or not. Atm Keeper seems to get 3 warnings. throw in takers 3 as well.

One warning, after that its a straight yellow to whoever.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 13:06 - Feb 12 with 3082 viewsgringoblue

I like this idea. Allows for the amusing scenario of a player who doesn't like their captain deliberately timewasting to get them booked.
Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 13:13 - Feb 12 with 3041 viewsKieran_Knows

A Prem ref who’s forgotten how to ref because the refereeing side of the game has gone in the Prem and been swapped for VAR.

Ref.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 13:14 - Feb 12 with 3022 viewsBlueRaider

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 13:06 - Feb 12 by TRUE_BLUE123

I'm not sure that would be the right way to go but I see your point.

It should be fairly simple. Before the game the Ref tells the managers and captains. You get one warning as a team, after that its a yellow card regardless if its first offence or not. Atm Keeper seems to get 3 warnings. throw in takers 3 as well.

One warning, after that its a straight yellow to whoever.

They never give the second yellow, so perhaps reverse the decision if they're time wasting ? Throw goes to the other team, goal kick becomes corner etc ?

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 13:15 - Feb 12 with 3030 viewsAsa

The biggest issue I have with it is that during the same season two different systems have been in place.

Hladky should not be booked for taking 10 seconds in the same season that people are ignored taking 30 seconds.

Same with the amount of time added on. Every game at the start of the season had 11 or 12 or 17 minutes added on. Now we get 8 on Saturday when a player has been down for 4 minutes.

Just pick a rule and stick with it for the season FFS.
Login to get fewer ads

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 13:19 - Feb 12 with 2957 viewsJimmyJazz

Sam gets enough yellow cards as it is thank you

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 13:26 - Feb 12 with 2925 viewsRonFearonsHair

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 12:47 - Feb 12 by stonojnr

There's an element of are refs arrogant, or do arrogant people just become refs.

That said they were woeful at dealing with time wasting.when you'd feel telling a player I'm right do that again and you're booked would be an asset, but he just kept blowing his whistle and waving at them.

Booking a player for persistent time wasting during 2 minutes of stoppage time blew up my irony detector.
Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 13:26 - Feb 12 with 2930 viewsIllinoisblue

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 13:15 - Feb 12 by Asa

The biggest issue I have with it is that during the same season two different systems have been in place.

Hladky should not be booked for taking 10 seconds in the same season that people are ignored taking 30 seconds.

Same with the amount of time added on. Every game at the start of the season had 11 or 12 or 17 minutes added on. Now we get 8 on Saturday when a player has been down for 4 minutes.

Just pick a rule and stick with it for the season FFS.

All of this. The added time stuff that was SO IMPORTANT is now apparently not that important just a few months later.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 13:32 - Feb 12 with 2883 viewsSteve_M

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 12:47 - Feb 12 by stonojnr

Yes, but Sky had to start the second half on time don't forget.

My personal refereeing highlight on Saturday was the pedantry of making us move a throw in our own half back a few centimetres whilst letting so much else go.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 13:40 - Feb 12 with 2843 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 13:32 - Feb 12 by Steve_M

My personal refereeing highlight on Saturday was the pedantry of making us move a throw in our own half back a few centimetres whilst letting so much else go.

Yep, and switching a corner to the other side, making the taker run all the way across, when the keeper had tipped it over dead centre. Just why bother?

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 13:43 - Feb 12 with 2814 viewsBseaBlue

Team bookings. I really like that idea. Personally, I think time wasting should result in the ball being turned over to the opposition. One warning to the captain, then the consequences kick in.

For goal kicks, it leads to an opposition throw, level with the penalty area. I would imagine that on its own would hurry keepers up!
Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 13:44 - Feb 12 with 2806 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 13:14 - Feb 12 by BlueRaider

They never give the second yellow, so perhaps reverse the decision if they're time wasting ? Throw goes to the other team, goal kick becomes corner etc ?

This is a great idea - if you waste a ridiculous amount of time doing anything the ref deems that you don't really want it and so gives it to the opposition, whatever it is. You take ages over a throw, the opposition gets the throw. You take ages over a goal kick, we switch to the opposite end and the opposition gets a goal kick. That would soon put a stop to it, because the outcome now completely negates the reason to waste time (in fact it's a whole lot worse).

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 13:50 - Feb 12 with 2755 viewsLankHenners

Could be imaging it but think that idea was reported to have been floated at a UEFA meeting or something.

Only thing with that is it means the ref has to judge when a player has crossed the line from a natural reason they're taking their time to deliberately wasting it which I'm sure they'll be perceived to have got 'wrong' on several occasions.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 14:04 - Feb 12 with 2673 viewshadleighboyblue

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 13:43 - Feb 12 by BseaBlue

Team bookings. I really like that idea. Personally, I think time wasting should result in the ball being turned over to the opposition. One warning to the captain, then the consequences kick in.

For goal kicks, it leads to an opposition throw, level with the penalty area. I would imagine that on its own would hurry keepers up!

Don't the refs in rugby warn the captain after persistent infringements that the next incident will result in a yellow card and into the sin bin ?

What happened to the time limit on how long the keeper could hold on to the ball ....does that rule still exist ?
Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 14:12 - Feb 12 with 2624 viewsSharkey

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 13:43 - Feb 12 by BseaBlue

As I said in another post , on Saturday I saw a German ref (4th tier) book both captains after a fairly tame ‘mass brawl’.
Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 14:13 - Feb 12 with 2622 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Great idea.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 14:13 - Feb 12 with 2621 viewsGeoffSentence

Yep, it felt like the ref was helping them waste time rather than sorting it out.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 14:18 - Feb 12 with 2601 viewsMeadowlark

Also, it has become normalised for free-kicks to become backwards or sideways passes because the kicker is prevented from making a forward pass by one or more opposition players. It is so common now that everyone has forgotten that the 10 yard rule still applies.
A few years ago they introduced a rule that if you didn't move back immediately the kick was advanced by 10 yards (didn't they??) Bring it back!!
Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 14:31 - Feb 12 with 2557 viewshoppy

That making us move a throw back was even more frustrating, after the number of times West Brom were sneaking it an extra 10-15 yards or more every time, with the Lino on the West Stand side not even having a word to them about it.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 14:38 - Feb 12 with 2495 viewsMattinLondon

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 13:13 - Feb 12 by Kieran_Knows

A Prem ref who’s forgotten how to ref because the refereeing side of the game has gone in the Prem and been swapped for VAR.

Ref.

VAR was brought in because of continued criticism by fans, players, managers and pundits that they were getting some decisions wrong. They are human and refs are not there to get every decision right - just to provide unbiased officiating.

I imagine that a lot of really good people who would have made excellent refs give up when they see the amount of abuse that referees get.

Until the authorities start taking abuse of its officials seriously then a lot of other issues will continue. Encourage the better ones to become refs (rather than the harder skinned ones) and the standard will increase.
Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 14:58 - Feb 12 with 2411 viewsBeattie78

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 13:26 - Feb 12 by Illinoisblue

All of this. The added time stuff that was SO IMPORTANT is now apparently not that important just a few months later.

Law 12.2: An indirect free kick is awarded if a goalkeeper, inside their penalty area, commits any of the following offences:

controls the ball with the hand/arm for more than six seconds before releasing it.

Why have a law that is not enforced?

LexdenBlue62

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 15:07 - Feb 12 with 2370 viewsBluePG

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 14:58 - Feb 12 by Beattie78

Law 12.2: An indirect free kick is awarded if a goalkeeper, inside their penalty area, commits any of the following offences:

controls the ball with the hand/arm for more than six seconds before releasing it.

Why have a law that is not enforced?

That!!!!

On Saturday, I counted one instance of twenty seconds, and another of 18 seconds.

Poll: Best Dane?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024