Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Referees inability to prevent time wasting 12:36 - Feb 12 with 5851 viewskizaitfc

It frustrates the life out of me, they stand there like they have no options and are unable to prevent it.

Just grow a pair and book the player and if he does it again send him off.

The fact the referee on Saturday is supposed to be a prem ref was more shocking.

What I found more shocking was the lino shouting at Fridge over an offside he didn't give that was blatantly offside. The refs don't help themselves when they are as arrogant as that, just hold your hands up and say I may have got that wrong but I thought he was onside.

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 11:14 - Feb 13 with 951 viewsRadlett_blue

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 10:52 - Feb 13 by Sharkey

I think corners would be improved if a certain numer of players (2 maybe?) had to be on the half-way line when they are taken, which is kind of like the rules in hockey. More space, eassier for the ref to see what's going on, maybe more variety in strategies.

Yes, similar to hockey. I would compel at least 3 players from the defending team to inhabit the centre circle, as then the attacking team would pull back players to mark them. The result is a far less congested penalty area, so a corner kick is far easier to referee. But given football's immobility on experimenting with the laws, it's not going to happen.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 11:58 - Feb 13 with 933 viewssoclopath

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 12:47 - Feb 12 by stonojnr

There's an element of are refs arrogant, or do arrogant people just become refs.

They almost have to be utterly convinced they're always right to do the job.

That said they were woeful at dealing with time wasting.when you'd feel telling a player I'm right do that again and you're booked would be an asset, but he just kept blowing his whistle and waving at them.

So obviously they kept doing it and waiting for the whistle

Remember he only added 2mins in the first half and that included the goal

Agreed ref’s seem so arrogant,looking back in their early lives they where possibly failed footballers
Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 11:59 - Feb 13 with 934 viewsGeoffSentence

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 09:51 - Feb 13 by Radlett_blue

Yes another "all refs are rubbish" thread.
Committed fans of a club usually expect every marginal decision to go in favour of their team, and there are plenty of those in football. Hence, especially if their team doesn't win, it's down to the referee.
If refs REALLY are bad, you should wonder why. Is it because it is such an unattractive thing to do, starting at park level, where you referee games for a pittance and get routinely abused by not very good footballers?
I wonder if those who criticise referees have ever refereed a game at any level. If not, they should try it & then they might realise how difficult it is. Professional referees get 90%+ of their decisions correct. Yes, the odd howler can be very frustrating.
Time wasting is very hard to deal with. Saturday's ref did at least card a WBA player for time wasting quite early on. Normally, they wait until the last few minutes, where a yellow card is near irrelevant.

He booked the Baggie for timewasting during the two minutes of added on time in the first half.

Which means either he hadn't noticed any timewasting earlier and was really tough this time, or he hadn't put on any time for their earlier timewasting antics.

Spoiler, it was the latter.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 12:40 - Feb 13 with 902 viewsSharkey

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 11:14 - Feb 13 by Radlett_blue

Yes, similar to hockey. I would compel at least 3 players from the defending team to inhabit the centre circle, as then the attacking team would pull back players to mark them. The result is a far less congested penalty area, so a corner kick is far easier to referee. But given football's immobility on experimenting with the laws, it's not going to happen.

You'd think the pizza trophy (or whatever it's called) would be a perfect place to try out rules like this with decent professional players. Fans might go along just out of curiosity to see what effect it has on the game. I don't know what FIFA could do if teams entering the competition came to a 'gentlemen's agreement' to play by these rules, because they wouldn't be breaking any existing rules, and there would be no change to the pitch markings.
Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 12:43 - Feb 13 with 898 viewsBseaBlue

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 12:40 - Feb 13 by Sharkey

You'd think the pizza trophy (or whatever it's called) would be a perfect place to try out rules like this with decent professional players. Fans might go along just out of curiosity to see what effect it has on the game. I don't know what FIFA could do if teams entering the competition came to a 'gentlemen's agreement' to play by these rules, because they wouldn't be breaking any existing rules, and there would be no change to the pitch markings.

Normally, these rules are trialled at grassroots levels first to test the water. I believe the sin bin rulings were tested at step 6 and below initially.

Your idea makes more sense though, where the professional game has more exposure and coverage.
Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 13:26 - Feb 13 with 880 viewsSharkey

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 12:43 - Feb 13 by BseaBlue

Normally, these rules are trialled at grassroots levels first to test the water. I believe the sin bin rulings were tested at step 6 and below initially.

Your idea makes more sense though, where the professional game has more exposure and coverage.

I think in the short term managers and players would enjoy it, as it would give them something new to think about in training on the day before such games and be a break from the long slog of the season. It wouldn't even need everyone in the competition to join in - just two managers who are maybe old friends to say that they've agreed that that's what they're going to be doing in a particular game. I can't really think who'd possibly object, ... except FIFA.
Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 13:45 - Feb 13 with 872 viewsAlanG296

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 13:26 - Feb 13 by Sharkey

I think in the short term managers and players would enjoy it, as it would give them something new to think about in training on the day before such games and be a break from the long slog of the season. It wouldn't even need everyone in the competition to join in - just two managers who are maybe old friends to say that they've agreed that that's what they're going to be doing in a particular game. I can't really think who'd possibly object, ... except FIFA.

Alternatively two managers who are old friends could trial it in a game where they tell their players not to waste time, commit "tactical fouls" or any other type of petty cheating. Would be a refreshing change from what has become the norm.
Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 13:48 - Feb 13 with 866 viewsSharkey

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 13:45 - Feb 13 by AlanG296

Alternatively two managers who are old friends could trial it in a game where they tell their players not to waste time, commit "tactical fouls" or any other type of petty cheating. Would be a refreshing change from what has become the norm.

I don't have much sympathy for fans who complain about time-wasting but never catcall (is that still a word?) their own team for doing it. Most fans are not interested in the game, just in their club.

(Reminds me a bit of a recent cricket season when Essex were top of the league with one round of fixtures to play, and there were plenty of supporters online who hoped it would rain across England all week.)
[Post edited 13 Feb 14:04]
Login to get fewer ads

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 14:31 - Feb 13 with 826 viewskizaitfc

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 13:50 - Feb 12 by LankHenners

Could be imaging it but think that idea was reported to have been floated at a UEFA meeting or something.

Only thing with that is it means the ref has to judge when a player has crossed the line from a natural reason they're taking their time to deliberately wasting it which I'm sure they'll be perceived to have got 'wrong' on several occasions.

I think you would have to put a specific time limit on it

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 14:49 - Feb 13 with 821 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Committed fans of a club usually expect every marginal decision to go in favour of their team, and there are plenty of those in football. Hence, especially if their team doesn't win, it's down to the referee.
If refs REALLY are bad, you should wonder why. Is it because it is such an unattractive thing to do, starting at park level, where you referee games for a pittance and get routinely abused by not very good footballers?
I wonder if those who criticise referees have ever refereed a game at any level. If not, they should try it & then they might realise how difficult it is. Professional referees get 90%+ of their decisions correct. Yes, the odd howler can be very frustrating.
Time wasting is very hard to deal with. Saturday's ref did at least card a WBA player for time wasting quite early on. Normally, they wait until the last few minutes, where a yellow card is near irrelevant.

I can't fly a plane but when I get on one I expect the pilot to know what he's doing.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 14:51 - Feb 13 with 811 viewsblueasfook

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 14:49 - Feb 13 by The_Flashing_Smile

I can't fly a plane but when I get on one I expect the pilot to know what he's doing.

Have you flown with Ryanair?

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 18:49 - Feb 13 with 727 viewsAviator

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 14:49 - Feb 13 by The_Flashing_Smile

Funny you should say that...
Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 19:21 - Feb 13 with 711 viewsTMWWNGAS

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 14:31 - Feb 13 by kizaitfc

I think you would have to put a specific time limit on it

Almost like the 6 second rule...
Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 20:04 - Feb 13 with 686 viewsVaughan8

The goalies holding the ball for 6 seconds rule has gone. They need to actually bring that back.

If you hold it for too long, it's a freekick in the area (a bit like a backpass).

The ref on Saturday had to start booking players in ghe first half when they started wasting time.

As someone said, they very rarely get a second yellow anyway.

I do like the point about turning it round. Ie throw in the other way or goal kick turns to a corner. That would probably work better.
Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 20:09 - Feb 13 with 661 viewsTheBoyBlue

I think there is a difference between criticising them for making mistakes and criticising them for applying the rules like this.

With the former, they are human, they won't get everything right and contrary to what fans of just about every club in the world think, they will even themselves out.

On Saturday the ref just needed to book one of their players early on for what was obvious and blatant time wasting and he could've stopped it. That he didn't needs calling out.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 18:33 - Feb 14 with 574 viewsGarv

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 20:04 - Feb 13 by Vaughan8

The goalies holding the ball for 6 seconds rule has gone. They need to actually bring that back.

If you hold it for too long, it's a freekick in the area (a bit like a backpass).

The ref on Saturday had to start booking players in ghe first half when they started wasting time.

I do like the point about turning it round. Ie throw in the other way or goal kick turns to a corner. That would probably work better.

Tying in with the 6 second thing, the one that really needs to go is the keeper diving on the floor after taking a catch to relieve the pressure late in games. Instant yellow card for blatant cases.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 19:15 - Feb 14 with 546 viewsredrickstuhaart

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 20:04 - Feb 13 by Vaughan8

The rule hasnt gone though.

It just isnt applied.
Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 20:18 - Feb 14 with 529 viewsTheBoyBlue

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 10:45 - Feb 13 by Radlett_blue

Agreed. The problem for referees is that there is no effective sanction, but at least they do add on way more time than they used to, although much more time is lost through multiple substitutions and the 2 minute melee whenever a penalty is awarded.
I'm hugely in favour of trialling the sin bin. Predictably, almost every ex-player or manager has come out against it. Football is the most conservative sport in the world, with the psrticipants resistant to any change.

They have got a sanction though haven't they? As the ref on Saturday (eventually) showed, they can book them. And I guess if they keep doing it, book them again. If it happens to be a second yellow and sending off, all the better.
[Post edited 14 Feb 20:41]

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024