Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Referees inability to prevent time wasting 12:36 - Feb 12 with 5841 viewskizaitfc

It frustrates the life out of me, they stand there like they have no options and are unable to prevent it.

Just grow a pair and book the player and if he does it again send him off.

The fact the referee on Saturday is supposed to be a prem ref was more shocking.

What I found more shocking was the lino shouting at Fridge over an offside he didn't give that was blatantly offside. The refs don't help themselves when they are as arrogant as that, just hold your hands up and say I may have got that wrong but I thought he was onside.

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 15:15 - Feb 12 with 1539 viewsgainsboroughblue

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 13:44 - Feb 12 by The_Flashing_Smile

This is a great idea - if you waste a ridiculous amount of time doing anything the ref deems that you don't really want it and so gives it to the opposition, whatever it is. You take ages over a throw, the opposition gets the throw. You take ages over a goal kick, we switch to the opposite end and the opposition gets a goal kick. That would soon put a stop to it, because the outcome now completely negates the reason to waste time (in fact it's a whole lot worse).

It is a very good idea but again, we are at the mercy of those that apply the law. Imagine if when Hdlaky was cautioned wrongly earlier this season and whoever it was scored from the resulting corner.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 15:28 - Feb 12 with 1507 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 15:15 - Feb 12 by gainsboroughblue

It is a very good idea but again, we are at the mercy of those that apply the law. Imagine if when Hdlaky was cautioned wrongly earlier this season and whoever it was scored from the resulting corner.

Well I didn't say corner, I said a goal kick up the other end (whatever the situation it simply reverts to the opposition). But yes, as with any rule you are obviously at the mercy of the officials interpreting it correctly.

Seems so often these days that the officials have had their common sense glands removed. Might be wrong but I have a feeling the Hladky timewasting was either early in a game or when we were level (possibly even losing) - but basically not in a position when we'd be wasting time.

The incidents on Saturday where the ref moved a throw-in a few inches (which was well in our own half anyway) and the corner he decided to switch sides for - again, common sense says don't worry about either of those, just get on with the game.

What also grinds my gears, which I think has been touched on in the thread, is when refs wave at timewasters in a 'get on with it' gesture. Oh no, I bet that really bothers them! I'm sure it's just show for the crowd.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 15:33 - Feb 12 with 1482 viewsgainsboroughblue

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 15:28 - Feb 12 by The_Flashing_Smile

Well I didn't say corner, I said a goal kick up the other end (whatever the situation it simply reverts to the opposition). But yes, as with any rule you are obviously at the mercy of the officials interpreting it correctly.

Seems so often these days that the officials have had their common sense glands removed. Might be wrong but I have a feeling the Hladky timewasting was either early in a game or when we were level (possibly even losing) - but basically not in a position when we'd be wasting time.

The incidents on Saturday where the ref moved a throw-in a few inches (which was well in our own half anyway) and the corner he decided to switch sides for - again, common sense says don't worry about either of those, just get on with the game.

What also grinds my gears, which I think has been touched on in the thread, is when refs wave at timewasters in a 'get on with it' gesture. Oh no, I bet that really bothers them! I'm sure it's just show for the crowd.

A quick look indicates he was booked in the first two games, Sunderland and Stoke. Then once more, at Sheff Weds. 3 in 6 games. Until refs gave up on the timewasting and time added on thing, he was heading nicely for a ban.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 15:42 - Feb 12 with 1447 viewsSenatorBlue

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 13:13 - Feb 12 by Kieran_Knows

A Prem ref who’s forgotten how to ref because the refereeing side of the game has gone in the Prem and been swapped for VAR.

Ref.

This was my take too. It looked like he’d forgotten how to ref, and strangely out of his depth, flustered by the crowd critique of his performance. There’s usually a swagger about them even when getting it horribly wrong.
Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 15:52 - Feb 12 with 1419 viewsSenatorBlue

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 14:04 - Feb 12 by hadleighboyblue

Don't the refs in rugby warn the captain after persistent infringements that the next incident will result in a yellow card and into the sin bin ?

What happened to the time limit on how long the keeper could hold on to the ball ....does that rule still exist ?

The one thing that a blue card sin bin for 10 mins might be a useful addition for (persistent time wasting). Like has been said, there’s never a second yellow, so it just carries on. Better use of the proposed blue card than a professional foul they muted extending these to cover, which in my mind should always be red or yellow.

Edit: to replace fowl with foul, before Keno and Hoppy turn this into an ornithological 18 pager.
[Post edited 12 Feb 15:57]
Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 16:15 - Feb 12 with 1376 viewshoppy

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 15:52 - Feb 12 by SenatorBlue

The one thing that a blue card sin bin for 10 mins might be a useful addition for (persistent time wasting). Like has been said, there’s never a second yellow, so it just carries on. Better use of the proposed blue card than a professional foul they muted extending these to cover, which in my mind should always be red or yellow.

Edit: to replace fowl with foul, before Keno and Hoppy turn this into an ornithological 18 pager.
[Post edited 12 Feb 15:57]

Would I do something like that?

I think that's a rather unpheasant thing to say.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 16:18 - Feb 12 with 1367 viewsKieran_Knows

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 14:38 - Feb 12 by MattinLondon

VAR was brought in because of continued criticism by fans, players, managers and pundits that they were getting some decisions wrong. They are human and refs are not there to get every decision right - just to provide unbiased officiating.

I imagine that a lot of really good people who would have made excellent refs give up when they see the amount of abuse that referees get.

Until the authorities start taking abuse of its officials seriously then a lot of other issues will continue. Encourage the better ones to become refs (rather than the harder skinned ones) and the standard will increase.

I still believe that the concept of VAR isn't the issue ... it's the people using it that are.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 16:25 - Feb 12 with 1354 viewsAviator

The penalty for goalkeeper retaining the ball for more than 6 seconds is an indirect free kick. It is not a bookable offence. When I ref, I count to 20 seconds -that's plenty of leeway. First offence is a warning. Then I give the free kick. Only ever happens once.

The penalty for time wasting on a goal kick SHOULD (IMO) be a corner, but it's not. Same for a thrown in - should be given the other way.

If a player goes to ground for an injury and is approached by the ref - that should be deemed treatment and he should go off regardless of whether the physio comes on.

Time wasting would be very easy to control if the will was there.
Login to get fewer ads

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 16:27 - Feb 12 with 1350 viewsKieran_Knows

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 16:25 - Feb 12 by Aviator

The penalty for goalkeeper retaining the ball for more than 6 seconds is an indirect free kick. It is not a bookable offence. When I ref, I count to 20 seconds -that's plenty of leeway. First offence is a warning. Then I give the free kick. Only ever happens once.

The penalty for time wasting on a goal kick SHOULD (IMO) be a corner, but it's not. Same for a thrown in - should be given the other way.

If a player goes to ground for an injury and is approached by the ref - that should be deemed treatment and he should go off regardless of whether the physio comes on.

Time wasting would be very easy to control if the will was there.

With regards to the keeper retaining the ball for 6 seconds ... am I going mad when I say that rule has changed within the last couple of years and with discretion, the ref can allow more time?

I'm sure I heard a commentator say that in a game once, but could well be off the mark with that!

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Referees inability to prevent time wastingl on 18:18 - Feb 12 with 1264 viewssouthnorfolkblue

I’d like to see them change the rules. Make the captain responsible for any time wasting by his players. The moment one player is booked, it won’t happen again

Poll: Our final position

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 18:27 - Feb 12 with 1248 viewsbobbyramsey

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 13:40 - Feb 12 by The_Flashing_Smile

Yep, and switching a corner to the other side, making the taker run all the way across, when the keeper had tipped it over dead centre. Just why bother?

Makes it look like they are doing their job and are "all over" tricky decisions.......
Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 19:04 - Feb 12 with 1224 viewsBugs

That there were only 2 minutes of time added on at the end of the first half was absolutely bizarre after the ref had had words about the time-wasting, and even booked a player for it.

One of those extra minutes would be for their goal, so despite all of the above, the ref thinks that it adds up to only 1 extra minute for all the first half time-wasting.

For the time they stole, that's probably worth a yellow card. Especially when you could see the fitness levels difference between the teams at the end of the game.
[Post edited 12 Feb 19:05]
Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 19:07 - Feb 12 with 1219 viewsBugs

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 13:14 - Feb 12 by BlueRaider

They never give the second yellow, so perhaps reverse the decision if they're time wasting ? Throw goes to the other team, goal kick becomes corner etc ?

A far better suggestion than bloody blue cards as a rule change.
Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 19:39 - Feb 12 with 1195 viewsGarv

If their right back on Saturday was our player and he'd got booked we'd be saying the referee gave into the demands of the crowd. The time wasting wasn't that bad.

Surprised everyone has jumped on it as a topic.

Like every week we're now seeing "one of the worst referee PR all season" - always makes me laugh.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 19:52 - Feb 12 with 1177 viewsronnyd

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 13:43 - Feb 12 by BseaBlue

Team bookings. I really like that idea. Personally, I think time wasting should result in the ball being turned over to the opposition. One warning to the captain, then the consequences kick in.

For goal kicks, it leads to an opposition throw, level with the penalty area. I would imagine that on its own would hurry keepers up!

No, make it a corner, that should hurry the keeper up a bit.
Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 19:54 - Feb 12 with 1165 viewsSwansea_Blue

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 19:39 - Feb 12 by Garv

If their right back on Saturday was our player and he'd got booked we'd be saying the referee gave into the demands of the crowd. The time wasting wasn't that bad.

Surprised everyone has jumped on it as a topic.

Like every week we're now seeing "one of the worst referee PR all season" - always makes me laugh.

I thought it was blatant and back to the levels of time wasting we saw in L1.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 09:13 - Feb 13 with 1038 viewsGeoffSentence

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 19:54 - Feb 12 by Swansea_Blue

I thought it was blatant and back to the levels of time wasting we saw in L1.

Even Baggies fans acknowledge they were doing it on their own forum. It was really bad, really obvious and the ref was not just letting them do it, he assisted them with it.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 09:33 - Feb 13 with 1014 viewstextbackup

The thing that gets me more than that, is when players are pushing/wrestling pre corner or dangerous freekick…
Ref goes over to warn them. They know they aren’t allowed to do it… let it play out, and if the defender does manhandle the attacker, give a pen.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 09:42 - Feb 13 with 993 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 09:33 - Feb 13 by textbackup

The thing that gets me more than that, is when players are pushing/wrestling pre corner or dangerous freekick…
Ref goes over to warn them. They know they aren’t allowed to do it… let it play out, and if the defender does manhandle the attacker, give a pen.

...and so often their way of dealing with it is to blow up as soon as the corner's taken and give a free kick to the defending team. We had one on Saturday, couldn't wait to give it.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 09:51 - Feb 13 with 994 viewsRadlett_blue

Yes another "all refs are rubbish" thread.
Committed fans of a club usually expect every marginal decision to go in favour of their team, and there are plenty of those in football. Hence, especially if their team doesn't win, it's down to the referee.
If refs REALLY are bad, you should wonder why. Is it because it is such an unattractive thing to do, starting at park level, where you referee games for a pittance and get routinely abused by not very good footballers?
I wonder if those who criticise referees have ever refereed a game at any level. If not, they should try it & then they might realise how difficult it is. Professional referees get 90%+ of their decisions correct. Yes, the odd howler can be very frustrating.
Time wasting is very hard to deal with. Saturday's ref did at least card a WBA player for time wasting quite early on. Normally, they wait until the last few minutes, where a yellow card is near irrelevant.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 09:57 - Feb 13 with 960 viewstextbackup

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 09:42 - Feb 13 by The_Flashing_Smile

...and so often their way of dealing with it is to blow up as soon as the corner's taken and give a free kick to the defending team. We had one on Saturday, couldn't wait to give it.

Same happened in the second half. I’m normally pretty calm during games with refs as they are sht for both teams… but on that one I got up and stormed to the toilet like an angry child.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 10:00 - Feb 13 with 955 viewsRadlett_blue

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 09:42 - Feb 13 by The_Flashing_Smile

Yes, giving a free kick after a corner to the defending team is an easy cop-out, while conveniently ignoring all the holding by the defence. But again, with all the holding at a corner, it's near impossible to identify one clear perpetrator. Might as well let anything go at a corner!

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 10:05 - Feb 13 with 949 viewsBseaBlue

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 09:51 - Feb 13 by Radlett_blue

Yes another "all refs are rubbish" thread.
Committed fans of a club usually expect every marginal decision to go in favour of their team, and there are plenty of those in football. Hence, especially if their team doesn't win, it's down to the referee.
If refs REALLY are bad, you should wonder why. Is it because it is such an unattractive thing to do, starting at park level, where you referee games for a pittance and get routinely abused by not very good footballers?
I wonder if those who criticise referees have ever refereed a game at any level. If not, they should try it & then they might realise how difficult it is. Professional referees get 90%+ of their decisions correct. Yes, the odd howler can be very frustrating.
Time wasting is very hard to deal with. Saturday's ref did at least card a WBA player for time wasting quite early on. Normally, they wait until the last few minutes, where a yellow card is near irrelevant.

In these situations though, it is more the rules that need to be changed than the referee being at fault. If as suggested above, the punishments were more severe for time wasting, it would be easier for the ref's to enforce them, without just trying to hurry people up.
Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 10:45 - Feb 13 with 912 viewsRadlett_blue

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 10:05 - Feb 13 by BseaBlue

In these situations though, it is more the rules that need to be changed than the referee being at fault. If as suggested above, the punishments were more severe for time wasting, it would be easier for the ref's to enforce them, without just trying to hurry people up.

Agreed. The problem for referees is that there is no effective sanction, but at least they do add on way more time than they used to, although much more time is lost through multiple substitutions and the 2 minute melee whenever a penalty is awarded.
I'm hugely in favour of trialling the sin bin. Predictably, almost every ex-player or manager has come out against it. Football is the most conservative sport in the world, with the psrticipants resistant to any change.

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 10:52 - Feb 13 with 901 viewsSharkey

Referees inability to prevent time wasting on 10:00 - Feb 13 by Radlett_blue

Yes, giving a free kick after a corner to the defending team is an easy cop-out, while conveniently ignoring all the holding by the defence. But again, with all the holding at a corner, it's near impossible to identify one clear perpetrator. Might as well let anything go at a corner!

I think corners would be improved if a certain numer of players (2 maybe?) had to be on the half-way line when they are taken, which is kind of like the rules in hockey. More space, eassier for the ref to see what's going on, maybe more variety in strategies.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024