Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brexit 10:41 - Nov 23 with 9400 viewsblueislander

“The less intelligent were more likely to back Brexit”” Headline from today’s Times. WHO would have thought it?
Brexit on 10:44 - Nov 23 with 4029 viewsgeg1992

I think we all knew that already.

Poll: Who would you play in place of Burns on Sunday?

Brexit on 10:48 - Nov 23 with 3994 viewsleitrimblue

That is not news
Brexit on 10:55 - Nov 23 with 3957 viewsBigCommon

I dont get it... If they were so stupid, then why couldn't they be persuaded to vote remain, by the vastly more intelligent remainers?
Brexit on 11:03 - Nov 23 with 3920 viewsgeg1992

Brexit on 10:55 - Nov 23 by BigCommon

I dont get it... If they were so stupid, then why couldn't they be persuaded to vote remain, by the vastly more intelligent remainers?

Because it's difficult trying to argue with someone who will just reply "WE WANT R COUNTREE BACK" to every point.

Poll: Who would you play in place of Burns on Sunday?

Brexit on 11:07 - Nov 23 with 3889 viewschicoazul

This is in fact an excellent argument. I haven’t heard it put like that until just now. Bravo, sincerely.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Brexit on 11:08 - Nov 23 with 3877 viewsJ2BLUE

Did it come with a free sachet of lube?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Brexit on 11:10 - Nov 23 with 3861 viewsHerbivore

Because stupid people are notoriously difficult at recognising relative intelligence (see the Dunning-Kruger effect) and are easily swayed by the kind of simplistic but vacuous (and often dishonest) soundbites that were the stock in trade of the Vote Leave cabal. An inability to appraise the quality and veracity of the information presented to them was a further contributing factor. Hope that helps.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Brexit on 11:15 - Nov 23 with 3829 viewsBlueschev

A lot of the debates at the time went along these lines...

And it's far easier to sell a hypothetical, vague future than it is to defend a status quo that the majority of the population don't understand.
Login to get fewer ads

Brexit on 11:18 - Nov 23 with 3808 viewshype313

You can't argue with stupid

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Brexit on 11:24 - Nov 23 with 3763 viewsJackNorthStand

Brexit on 11:10 - Nov 23 by Herbivore

Because stupid people are notoriously difficult at recognising relative intelligence (see the Dunning-Kruger effect) and are easily swayed by the kind of simplistic but vacuous (and often dishonest) soundbites that were the stock in trade of the Vote Leave cabal. An inability to appraise the quality and veracity of the information presented to them was a further contributing factor. Hope that helps.

I think what you’ve said there raises a good point. Simple, vacuous and often dishonest sums up the leave campaign.

We all know now that a lot of the “ facts “ leave campaign were spouting were vastly exaggerated or untrue however from a campaign perspective the leave campaign did a much better job at garnering votes than remain. ( not sure if “ better “ is the correct word there ? ) than the remain one.
Brexit on 11:29 - Nov 23 with 3741 viewsHerbivore

Brexit on 11:24 - Nov 23 by JackNorthStand

I think what you’ve said there raises a good point. Simple, vacuous and often dishonest sums up the leave campaign.

We all know now that a lot of the “ facts “ leave campaign were spouting were vastly exaggerated or untrue however from a campaign perspective the leave campaign did a much better job at garnering votes than remain. ( not sure if “ better “ is the correct word there ? ) than the remain one.

Change is always an easier sell than maintaining the status quo. That's why the Tories still try to pitch themselves as the party to change the country's fortunes and fix its woes when they've been in power for 13 years and have caused most of the problems they say they'll fix. More of the same is a tough thing to pitch. It certainly helped the leave campaign that we have woefully inadequate regulation of electoral campaigning, meaning they were able to overspend and get a slap on the wrist and put out false or highly misleading claims that stuck in the memory before they could be debunked.
[Post edited 23 Nov 2023 11:49]

Brexit on 11:31 - Nov 23 with 3727 viewsleitrimblue

My mum's a very stubborn women
Brexit on 11:33 - Nov 23 with 3697 viewsnoggin

I voted remain and I'm as thick as pigshoite.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Brexit on 11:34 - Nov 23 with 3676 viewsJ2BLUE

Brexit on 11:33 - Nov 23 by noggin

I voted remain and I'm as thick as pigshoite.

Can confirm

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Brexit on 11:41 - Nov 23 with 3637 viewsitfcjoe

Brexit on 11:24 - Nov 23 by JackNorthStand

If you are explaining then you are losing, so lies become the order of the day

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Brexit on 11:42 - Nov 23 with 3640 viewsGuthrum

Brexit on 11:29 - Nov 23 by Herbivore

Change is always an easier sell than maintaining the status quo. That's why the Tories still try to pitch themselves as the party to change the country's fortunes and fix its woes when they've been in power for 13 years and have caused most of the problems they say they'll fix. More of the same is a tough thing to pitch. It certainly helped the leave campaign that we have woefully inadequate regulation of electoral campaigning, meaning they were able to overspend and get a slap on the wrist and put out false or highly misleading claims that stuck in the memory before they could be debunked.

Which is why Chief Executives come into established (even successful) businesses and promptly trash them. Got to make their mark, even if change is not needed.

See also the (self described) madman just elected in Argentina. Change of any sort, even berserkly destructive, is better than trying to make the status quo work properly.

People are lazy and want wand-waving instant solutions to complex problems.
[Post edited 23 Nov 2023 11:43]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Brexit on 11:50 - Nov 23 with 3540 viewsHerbivore

Brexit on 11:42 - Nov 23 by Guthrum

Which is why Chief Executives come into established (even successful) businesses and promptly trash them. Got to make their mark, even if change is not needed.

See also the (self described) madman just elected in Argentina. Change of any sort, even berserkly destructive, is better than trying to make the status quo work properly.

People are lazy and want wand-waving instant solutions to complex problems.
[Post edited 23 Nov 2023 11:43]

Indeed, very well put.

Brexit on 11:55 - Nov 23 with 3480 viewsDarth_Koont

Because narrative trumps facts. Especially when the majority of the press and too many politicians were pushing the narratives before, during and after the referendum.

The Brexiteers had their echo chamber and alternative reality even without social media. Not to say that the hardcore Remainers didn’t either but that also prevented discussion of the underlying drivers of the dissatisfaction and disenfranchisement populism thrives on.

Pronouns: He/Him

Brexit on 12:04 - Nov 23 with 3442 viewsDarth_Koont

Regressive change is an easier sell maybe e.g. Make America Great Again or the British exceptionalism and nostalgia for empire that characterised the Leave vote. Especially with a dose of xenophobia and a sprinkle of racism.

Progressive change, certainly in the UK, seems like a very remote prospect. Even with popular and necessary policies, we see an establishment, political class and media resisting any real change to their circumstances and the money/influence/power the status quo has given them.

Pronouns: He/Him

Brexit on 12:18 - Nov 23 with 3340 viewsiamatractorboy

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience..."
Brexit on 12:25 - Nov 23 with 3305 viewsBluedandy

Is change really always an easier sell? In 1975 referendum, voters decided to stay in the Common Market, in 2011 Altervative Voting referendum voters retained the first past the post system and in 2014 Scottish voters opted to remain part of the Union.

Seems far too many Remainers just made a very pisspoor case for staying in the EU, often preferring to ridicule the intelligence of the Brexit voting working class.

Leading Remainers from the Blair years onwards were too arrogant, complacent and thick to see the growing threat which they had helped develop.

Now we must all pay the price because it was a catastrophic outcome.
Brexit on 12:34 - Nov 23 with 3243 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

It is exactly that sort of headline that caused Brexit to happen, it seems the media and political establishment have learned nothing from the past decade.

They also tend to correlate the lack of a University education with a lack of intelligence, which is also opinion, and not fact, because there is no way of proving that statement without any real science behind it, it is just raw prejudice and assumption. This isn't just "Brexit" but they also make this assumption and generalising about many groups, including us football fans.

If you insult people, they don't tend to vote for you or your cause - I would say not understanding that fundamental fact is pretty stupid. It's not how you win anyone over, bright or not. Until you learn that, you won't win people over. It works both ways, as slating those on the left as emotionally weak and so on won't help your argument either. It's just playground stuff.
Brexit on 12:40 - Nov 23 with 3186 viewsHerbivore

Brexit on 12:25 - Nov 23 by Bluedandy

Is change really always an easier sell? In 1975 referendum, voters decided to stay in the Common Market, in 2011 Altervative Voting referendum voters retained the first past the post system and in 2014 Scottish voters opted to remain part of the Union.

Seems far too many Remainers just made a very pisspoor case for staying in the EU, often preferring to ridicule the intelligence of the Brexit voting working class.

Leading Remainers from the Blair years onwards were too arrogant, complacent and thick to see the growing threat which they had helped develop.

Now we must all pay the price because it was a catastrophic outcome.

Which arguments that should have been made by the remain campaign do you feel weren't made? And where in their campaign materials did they ridicule people?

Brexit on 12:44 - Nov 23 with 3152 viewsNeedhamChris

Brexit on 12:34 - Nov 23 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

It is exactly that sort of headline that caused Brexit to happen, it seems the media and political establishment have learned nothing from the past decade.

They also tend to correlate the lack of a University education with a lack of intelligence, which is also opinion, and not fact, because there is no way of proving that statement without any real science behind it, it is just raw prejudice and assumption. This isn't just "Brexit" but they also make this assumption and generalising about many groups, including us football fans.

If you insult people, they don't tend to vote for you or your cause - I would say not understanding that fundamental fact is pretty stupid. It's not how you win anyone over, bright or not. Until you learn that, you won't win people over. It works both ways, as slating those on the left as emotionally weak and so on won't help your argument either. It's just playground stuff.

Yep, hard to disagree with any of the points you make about the media and how those on one side approach trying to change minds.
[Post edited 23 Nov 2023 12:48]

Poll: Was that the worst result in the clubs history?

Brexit on 12:47 - Nov 23 with 3137 viewsitfc_bucks

Brexit on 12:34 - Nov 23 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

Except that's explicitly what the study has disproven.

University education is irrelevant, per this study. They looked at cognitive ability.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024