Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw 14:41 - Sep 28 with 6156 viewsChurchman

Idea shamelessly plundered from Sunderland’s forum. This doesn’t include those seen on tv. My five seen ‘live’ are:

George Best
Ossie Ardiles
Jurgen Klinsmann
Kenny Dalglish
Thierry Henry
Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 14:46 - Sep 28 with 3389 viewsusm

Roy Keane
Peter Reid
Peter Beardsley
Steven Gerrard
Gary Lineker

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 14:50 - Sep 28 with 3372 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Giovanni Dos Santos

Jonny Williams

Ryan Fraser

Bersant Celina

Omari Hutchinson

(Matthew Bates: honourable mention for THAT tackle (no, not the photo of his tackle, that's his dishonourable mention, the tackle on Chadwick))
Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 14:50 - Sep 28 with 3370 viewsWhos_blue

Ooh. Good one.

Off the top of my head I'd say

Gerrard
Zola
Puyol
Bergkamp
Messi

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 14:55 - Sep 28 with 3322 viewsMookamoo

Messi
Henry
Hoddle
Zola
Gullit. <- should have been an Ipswich player.....
Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 15:07 - Sep 28 with 3277 viewsbrazil1981

Cruyff
Plantini
Dalgish
Keegan
Best
Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 15:11 - Sep 28 with 3258 viewsRobTheMonk

Pirlo
Ronaldinho
Zidane
Maldini
Lahm

Goalkeeper would be prime Casillas.
Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 15:13 - Sep 28 with 3239 viewsmrfixit426

Glenn Hoddle
Matt le Tissier
Kevin de Bruyne
Paul Scholes
Peter Shilton
Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 15:18 - Sep 28 with 3219 viewsBluefields

Cantona, Giggs, Waddle, Beardsley, Gerrard
Login to get fewer ads

Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 15:20 - Sep 28 with 3209 viewsellaandred

Pele
George Best
Bobby Charlton
Johan Cruyff
Frans Beckenbauer
Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 15:21 - Sep 28 with 3203 viewsBlueBoots

Very tough, so I'm going to give you a spine of a team; here goes...

Peter Schmeichel
Paolo Maldini
Zinedine Zidane
Raul
Marco van Basten

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 15:37 - Sep 28 with 3151 viewsartsbossbeard

Hyppia for Merseyside Reds the day they dry bummed us at Portman Road was one of the most imposing performances I've ever witnessed.

Ronaldo (R9 one)
Zlatan
Totti
Gullit

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 15:57 - Sep 28 with 3082 viewsPJH

If it is seen play ‘in the flesh’ then:-

Jimmy Greaves
Cruyff
George Best
Bobby Moore

I saw Stanley Matthews play but many years past his prime,but on reputation maybe him.
Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 02:27 - Sep 29 with 3002 viewsStevieH

Javier Zanetti
Ronaldo (Brazilian)
Eric Cantona
Paul Gascogne
Gianfranco Zola
Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 06:49 - Sep 29 with 2889 viewsChurchman

Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 14:50 - Sep 28 by ArnoldMoorhen

Giovanni Dos Santos

Jonny Williams

Ryan Fraser

Bersant Celina

Omari Hutchinson

(Matthew Bates: honourable mention for THAT tackle (no, not the photo of his tackle, that's his dishonourable mention, the tackle on Chadwick))

That tackle was a thing of beauty. Cleaned him right out.

Trouble is, I was after players who never played for us.
Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 06:56 - Sep 29 with 2874 viewsChurchman

Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 15:20 - Sep 28 by ellaandred

Pele
George Best
Bobby Charlton
Johan Cruyff
Frans Beckenbauer

Forgot about Beckenbauer, so he remains excluded from my list, but I was privileged to see the great man play for W Germany in 1975. Saw Charlton play a few times too.

Fantastic list btw. To see Pele - wow!
[Post edited 29 Sep 2023 6:57]
Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 07:20 - Sep 29 with 2800 viewsgosblue

Bobby Moore
Rodney Marsh
George Best
Denis Law
Eusébio

I saw the Brazil team training in 66 but I won’t count that.
Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 07:20 - Sep 29 with 2797 viewsrunaround

Ronaldo Nazario
Manuel Rui Costa
Andrea Pirlo
Dennis Bergkamp
Paulo Di Canio
Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 07:32 - Sep 29 with 2774 viewsITFC_Forever

Cristiano Ronaldo
Jaap Stam
Alan Shearer
Thierry Henry
Gianfranco Zola

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 07:33 - Sep 29 with 2769 viewsChurchman

Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 07:20 - Sep 29 by gosblue

Bobby Moore
Rodney Marsh
George Best
Denis Law
Eusébio

I saw the Brazil team training in 66 but I won’t count that.

Eusebio! What a player. Every kid at junior school into football wanted to be Eusebio - including me.

Moore and Denis were certainly in contention for my top five.
Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 07:46 - Sep 29 with 2740 viewsBarcaBlue

Xavi
Iniesta
Messi
Ronaldo (the original)
Cruyff
Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 07:51 - Sep 29 with 2732 viewsDJR

This is based on opposition players seen at Portman Road.

Limiting it to a single game, I suppose I could choose either Best, Law and Charlton (all European Footballers of the Year) or Moore, Hurst and Peters (all World Cup winners).

Those were the days!

On balance, I would opt for the Man U trio, and to make up my five would choose Dalglish and Cruyff.

I might add that my dad worked with someone who took photos for the club (in those days such roles were not full-time), and there are tucked away somewhere in the loft at my mother's individual photos he took of Best, Law and Charlton in a game around 1970.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2023 7:52]
Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 07:57 - Sep 29 with 2702 viewstextbackup

When reading through peoples lists, it slaps you in the face how long we’ve been away from the top flight, some huge players in the prem the last 20 years that we’ve missed out on seeing in the flesh.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 08:50 - Sep 29 with 2637 viewsmonty_radio

Appreciate that he didn't pass the longevity or great international tests, but anyone who saw him play often think that the Beat was right up there?

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 09:41 - Sep 29 with 2561 viewssoupytwist

Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 07:20 - Sep 29 by runaround

Ronaldo Nazario
Manuel Rui Costa
Andrea Pirlo
Dennis Bergkamp
Paulo Di Canio

Did you see Andrea Pirlo make his European competition debut for Brescia in the Anglo European Cup against, checks notes, Ipswich Town?
Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 09:43 - Sep 29 with 2546 viewssoupytwist

I've only got a couple that I can recall, Javier Zanetti in the Inter home game and I saw Gullit play for Chelsea against us. Wasn't at the peak of his powers then but in terms of talent over the course of a career it's probably him.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024