Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My big question now is... 06:11 - Sep 28 with 4852 viewsBondiBlue

...how on earth do we strengthen in the january window? Our reserves are beating prem teams in the cup and our first team is absolutely smashing it every week. There's surely a great argument that we don't strictly need to bring anyone else in. I'd be scared to touch it. I'd be scared to breathe too close to it.

Poll: Which would you accept?

My big question now is... on 06:58 - Sep 28 with 3745 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Surely the plan would be to buy better players than the ones we have in certain positions, obviously. Of which there are plenty. So a continuation of what we have been doing in the last few windows, eg replacing the likes of Donacien, Jackson, Evans etc who continue to serve a purpose but are much less prominent.
My big question now is... on 07:00 - Sep 28 with 3744 viewsBlueNomad

If we go into the market in January they will have to be of extremely high quality / pedigree. We have a good, balanced squad so you are right - might be best not to tamper too much.
My big question now is... on 07:08 - Sep 28 with 3711 viewsBondiBlue

My big question now is... on 06:58 - Sep 28 by PrideOfTheEast

Surely the plan would be to buy better players than the ones we have in certain positions, obviously. Of which there are plenty. So a continuation of what we have been doing in the last few windows, eg replacing the likes of Donacien, Jackson, Evans etc who continue to serve a purpose but are much less prominent.

Can't believe i didn't think of that. You don't think there might need to be a bit more careful thought put into it given how well we're doing?

My big question now is... on 07:15 - Sep 28 with 3660 viewshunty21

We will have to sell before buy to free up wages so depends on thhe opportunities presented to us
My big question now is... on 07:36 - Sep 28 with 3580 viewsBondiBlue

My big question now is... on 07:15 - Sep 28 by hunty21

We will have to sell before buy to free up wages so depends on thhe opportunities presented to us

At this rate there will be plenty of queues being formed for a few of our players. Maybe the recruitment team are now talking about how to replace broadhead instead of how to replace burgess.

My big question now is... on 07:41 - Sep 28 with 3539 viewsBrockleyBlue78

Yeah, good question.

Will depend on where we are come January - are we realistically on a promotion push or not? Don’t think we’ll gamble FFP constraints if promotion is marginal.

Where is our team / squad not PL ready? Can see us strengthening the spine - CB (if Axel isn’t the answer), CM (Morsy and Luongo another year older, need to add more height and physicality in a DM?), no. 10 (to add another exciting and different option).

Will right back be sorted then (Clarke or Williams solid?) Is Burns the right man for that role in PL? Will Scarlett have performed or will we need more strength up top?

Been very impressed with management only seemingly taking players that fit with the squad and Club’s ambitions, as well as with an eye on potential and resale value. Got a feeling whoever does come in could be very exciting indeed. Another massive window for the club.
My big question now is... on 08:29 - Sep 28 with 3341 viewsBigCommon

My big question now is... on 07:41 - Sep 28 by BrockleyBlue78

Yeah, good question.

Will depend on where we are come January - are we realistically on a promotion push or not? Don’t think we’ll gamble FFP constraints if promotion is marginal.

Where is our team / squad not PL ready? Can see us strengthening the spine - CB (if Axel isn’t the answer), CM (Morsy and Luongo another year older, need to add more height and physicality in a DM?), no. 10 (to add another exciting and different option).

Will right back be sorted then (Clarke or Williams solid?) Is Burns the right man for that role in PL? Will Scarlett have performed or will we need more strength up top?

Been very impressed with management only seemingly taking players that fit with the squad and Club’s ambitions, as well as with an eye on potential and resale value. Got a feeling whoever does come in could be very exciting indeed. Another massive window for the club.

Echo all of this.. All depends where we are sitting and how the league is shaping up once we've more or less played everyone, and have a better idea of how we stand against the very top teams..
Bit tricky really, imo.. You'd assume, if we were to add anyone, wed be looking to recruit a player or two that could bridge the gap and play Prem level, should we go up... But, that, in turn, is a financial risk. Would probably require a few sold on. And leave us with some big wages and FFP juggling. And, possibly, upset the squad harmony, with one or two bigger earners in the building....
We've still got players that havent featured massively, that look as though they can come in as regulars and strengthen the first 11.. Hutchinson, Williams, Taylor, Tuanzebe?.. And while we've got a mostly fit squad, we actually look in really good shape atm..
Need to see a bit more of Scarlett to know whether he gives us the required depth up front, imo.. Otherwise, if Hirst gets a lengthy knock, we still look a bit thin at CF.. So maybe a new face for that position? In the form of another decent loan signing..?
[Post edited 28 Sep 2023 8:30]
My big question now is... on 08:33 - Sep 28 with 3320 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Tbf it is only September.

Things will most likely look entirely different in January. Hopefully not results wise, but potential injuries, player dipping in form. these things are inevitable in football. But if we are in a good position in Jan, which i think we will be. The club will leave nothing to chance I'm sure.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Login to get fewer ads

My big question now is... on 08:34 - Sep 28 with 3307 viewsMookamoo

Would be happy to get out of January with the squad we have intact.

There will be a few looking at Broadhead and Wooflenden
My big question now is... on 09:01 - Sep 28 with 3242 viewsGuthrum

It is not compulsory to buy and sell players twice a year, whatever Sky Sports might say.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

My big question now is... on 09:06 - Sep 28 with 3213 viewsBlueBoots

My big question now is... on 08:33 - Sep 28 by TRUE_BLUE123

Tbf it is only September.

Things will most likely look entirely different in January. Hopefully not results wise, but potential injuries, player dipping in form. these things are inevitable in football. But if we are in a good position in Jan, which i think we will be. The club will leave nothing to chance I'm sure.

If you look at the last winter window, all 4 signings were pretty natural. KVY wasn't going to get a new contract, so we bring back a young lad who came through the club to replace him, brought in Luongo to train with us after injuries to Ball and Evans left us light in CM, Broadhead was too good a player not to try to bring in when we found out he was available, and Hirst had been a target we missed out on in a previous window.

As you say, things will look different in January; as well as injuries / form, there are the international tournaments to consider. We could lose both left centre backs to the Asian Cup, and both centre-mids to the Asian Cup / AFCON for a month if their teams progress.

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

My big question now is... on 09:07 - Sep 28 with 3211 viewsMattinLondon

I would say that in terms of quality there are a lot of better players out there. I would say the real difficulty will be in bringing in players that do not upset the dynamic of the remaining squad in terms of both quality and wages.

We seem to have a tight knit squad that all know their role and position. Many are in the process of completing their coaching badges which must surly give us a competitive advantage during matches. Players need to match that off-field dedication and attitude.
My big question now is... on 09:13 - Sep 28 with 3177 viewstractorboy1978

My big question now is... on 09:07 - Sep 28 by MattinLondon

I would say that in terms of quality there are a lot of better players out there. I would say the real difficulty will be in bringing in players that do not upset the dynamic of the remaining squad in terms of both quality and wages.

We seem to have a tight knit squad that all know their role and position. Many are in the process of completing their coaching badges which must surly give us a competitive advantage during matches. Players need to match that off-field dedication and attitude.

Getting the right characters is the key. I imagine that is why we haven't gone outside the UK yet for recruitment - it is harder to do those checks and to assess how quickly players may settle.

I'll be amazed if we don't look for a CM and a CB at a minimum with the Asian/African Cups in Jan/Feb. If you can upgrade Ladapo with someone of a similar pedigree or higher to Hirst then expect we will do that too.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2023 9:15]
My big question now is... on 09:28 - Sep 28 with 3099 viewsBondiBlue

My big question now is... on 09:01 - Sep 28 by Guthrum

It is not compulsory to buy and sell players twice a year, whatever Sky Sports might say.

Agree, but that january of 2015...

My big question now is... on 09:49 - Sep 28 with 3016 viewskeanekipper

paul barber from brighton did an interview somewhere on thier recruitment, he said they buy players before they are needed. This is exactly how we should be going about our recruitment, he said if you buy after selling a player that players price is automatically higher due to the selling club knowing you need a replacement and have x amount of money to spend.

so i would be looking at the players we think will be sold in the next 2 or 3 windows and getting the replacements for them in, using them to replace the current squad players .
[Post edited 28 Sep 2023 10:13]
My big question now is... on 10:00 - Sep 28 with 2974 viewstractorboy1978

My big question now is... on 09:49 - Sep 28 by keanekipper

paul barber from brighton did an interview somewhere on thier recruitment, he said they buy players before they are needed. This is exactly how we should be going about our recruitment, he said if you buy after selling a player that players price is automatically higher due to the selling club knowing you need a replacement and have x amount of money to spend.

so i would be looking at the players we think will be sold in the next 2 or 3 windows and getting the replacements for them in, using them to replace the current squad players .

The well run clubs (and I believe Barber may have said this before too) are always looking to improve the 'weakest' couple of players in their starting 11 each window - it's how you get constant rolling improvement of the squad without ever making wholesale changes or affecting team cohesion. That's what we did last January. I expect Hutchinson will work his way into our 'strongest' 11 shortly and Luongo/Clarke are holding Taylor/Williams off at the moment!
[Post edited 28 Sep 2023 10:01]
My big question now is... on 10:10 - Sep 28 with 2919 viewsZx1988

My big question now is... on 09:49 - Sep 28 by keanekipper

I did wonder at the time whether Williams was being brought in as a future replacement for Davis. Although the fact that there isn't a buy option in the loan deal has perhaps put paid to that thought.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

My big question now is... on 10:36 - Sep 28 with 2780 viewsBondiBlue

My big question now is... on 10:10 - Sep 28 by Zx1988

I did wonder at the time whether Williams was being brought in as a future replacement for Davis. Although the fact that there isn't a buy option in the loan deal has perhaps put paid to that thought.

May still be the plan. They might just not have been able to agree a price.

My big question now is... on 10:38 - Sep 28 with 2778 viewsOldFart71

If anywhere needs strengthening it is in my opinion middle of our defence. Not sure any of the current one's on our books is good enough. Don't know about the Man Utd fella as he hasn't played so maybe he's the answer to at least one of the positions. It will all depend on where we are come Christmas. If we are in with a chance of the Prem then I would imagine there may be a couple of additions, but would that mean outgoings and if so who ?
My big question now is... on 10:49 - Sep 28 with 2723 viewsPrideOfTheEast

My big question now is... on 07:08 - Sep 28 by BondiBlue

Can't believe i didn't think of that. You don't think there might need to be a bit more careful thought put into it given how well we're doing?

More careful thought? I'd say every signing since KM came in has been given very careful thought. Like anything, progress equals better quality players and that will be the aim in a controlled manner.
My big question now is... on 10:50 - Sep 28 with 2719 viewsPrideOfTheEast

My big question now is... on 10:00 - Sep 28 by tractorboy1978

The well run clubs (and I believe Barber may have said this before too) are always looking to improve the 'weakest' couple of players in their starting 11 each window - it's how you get constant rolling improvement of the squad without ever making wholesale changes or affecting team cohesion. That's what we did last January. I expect Hutchinson will work his way into our 'strongest' 11 shortly and Luongo/Clarke are holding Taylor/Williams off at the moment!
[Post edited 28 Sep 2023 10:01]

Exactly. Obvious isn't it?
My big question now is... on 10:59 - Sep 28 with 2684 viewsBent_double

It wouldn't surprise me if there are some unsettled players out there at the moment who are having a few words with their agents to get them to see if there's any interest from Ipswich.

With so much positivity out there, and so much good stuff being said about McKenna, there will be some top players wanting to come here me thinks.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

My big question now is... on 11:16 - Sep 28 with 2605 viewsmonty_radio

My big question now is... on 09:06 - Sep 28 by BlueBoots

If you look at the last winter window, all 4 signings were pretty natural. KVY wasn't going to get a new contract, so we bring back a young lad who came through the club to replace him, brought in Luongo to train with us after injuries to Ball and Evans left us light in CM, Broadhead was too good a player not to try to bring in when we found out he was available, and Hirst had been a target we missed out on in a previous window.

As you say, things will look different in January; as well as injuries / form, there are the international tournaments to consider. We could lose both left centre backs to the Asian Cup, and both centre-mids to the Asian Cup / AFCON for a month if their teams progress.

Yet the new regime bristles with purpose. Like you, I can't see right now where we could go with it, but I'm betting my bottom dollar that McK and Aston have already laid out further plans for Gamechanger to consider. In the longer term, much as I like Hirst, he has to improve his strike ratio, or I feel we'd be looking beyond simply like-for-like cover.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

My big question now is... on 11:21 - Sep 28 with 2574 viewsSuperblue95

My big question now is... on 10:38 - Sep 28 by OldFart71

If anywhere needs strengthening it is in my opinion middle of our defence. Not sure any of the current one's on our books is good enough. Don't know about the Man Utd fella as he hasn't played so maybe he's the answer to at least one of the positions. It will all depend on where we are come Christmas. If we are in with a chance of the Prem then I would imagine there may be a couple of additions, but would that mean outgoings and if so who ?

Harsh on our centre backs. They’ve done very little wrong individually, the amount of goals we concede at home is a consequence of how attacking we play. We are coming out on the right side of results at the moment but I suspect McKenna and co are looking at tweaking things so we aren’t quite as open as we are currently, while still maintaining the attacking philosophy.

We’ve kept a lot of clean sheets on the road so our defenders have proven they are good enough when we play a slightly more reserved style.

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

My big question now is... on 11:48 - Sep 28 with 2497 viewsitfcjoe

This just of the top of my head so may have got a couple wrong but we have a number of players out of contract in the summer:

GK
Walton - with an option
Hladky

DEF
Tuanzebe
Burgess - with an option
Donacien

MID
Morsy
Evans
Ball
Luongo

FW
Jackson
Aluko

So 11 out of our 25 man squad - obviously in there you have Walton, Burgess and Morsy who you'd expect to extend, then Hladky and Luongo playing very regularly currently.....take out the unknown in Tuanzebe....but leaves JD, Evans, Ball, Jackson and Aluko who feel likely prime for replacement as a minimum

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024