Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw 14:41 - Sep 28 with 6302 viewsChurchman

Idea shamelessly plundered from Sunderland’s forum. This doesn’t include those seen on tv. My five seen ‘live’ are:

George Best
Ossie Ardiles
Jurgen Klinsmann
Kenny Dalglish
Thierry Henry
Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 19:17 - Sep 29 with 1050 viewsRadlett_blue

In no particular order:
Cruyff
Best
Bobby Charlton
Bobby Moore
Ryan Giggs

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 19:42 - Sep 29 with 1024 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I am impressed that we are registering on Sunderland's radar sufficiently for them to have a thread on the five best non-Ipswich players they have ever seen.

Mine - I struggle to remember who I have seen but:
Bryan Robson in my first match
Steve Kabba (looked like the best player in the world in Burley's last match)
Dean Saunders
Stelios Giannakopoulos tore us apart
David Nugent always got the better of us after we had baited him until he did

I am sure there were many much better players but those are the ones that come to mind for the reasons given.

EDIT: On reflection Vieri and Di Baggio have to be in the list, Toldo, Zannetti and Seedorf probably as well. Probably some Premier League players from 2000-02 but can't remember which ones I saw!
[Post edited 29 Sep 2023 20:45]

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 19:58 - Sep 29 with 1007 viewsbobwya

Duncan Edwards
Bobby Moore
Bobby Charlton
George Best
Stanley Matthews
Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 20:01 - Sep 29 with 1007 viewsmonty_radio

Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 15:57 - Sep 28 by PJH

If it is seen play ‘in the flesh’ then:-

Jimmy Greaves
Cruyff
George Best
Bobby Moore

I saw Stanley Matthews play but many years past his prime,but on reputation maybe him.

Yes - I remember Matthews too, probably the same game. At the time I read and re-read a Topical Times football annual in which was a cartoon of two players standing bedraggled out on the wing, with one of them saying: "I hate these friendlies; too much standing about on wet grass". And when I witnessed Sir Stanley on that afternoon, it put me in mind of said cartoon.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 20:33 - Sep 29 with 984 viewsPJH

Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 20:01 - Sep 29 by monty_radio

Yes - I remember Matthews too, probably the same game. At the time I read and re-read a Topical Times football annual in which was a cartoon of two players standing bedraggled out on the wing, with one of them saying: "I hate these friendlies; too much standing about on wet grass". And when I witnessed Sir Stanley on that afternoon, it put me in mind of said cartoon.

F.A. Cup 4th round January 1964. He was a few days short of his 49th birthday so a bit past his prime as a player.
Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 20:37 - Sep 29 with 956 viewsChurchman

Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 18:24 - Sep 29 by monty_radio

Just really asking if he might have been there if he could have been there. We've had some mighty fine players, but none of that calibre. Unless Batistuta........

For me had he not played for us he would. My personal criteria was around those players you saw that made you think omg wow. Best - you could feel the intake of breath. You could when KB started rolling forward with that ball or defied gravity with a header or swept away a quality player like say a McDonald. He was quite simply special.

Ardiles - he played for Spurs at White Hart Lane early in his time there and he was playing a different game to everyone else including the brilliant Glenn Hoddle. Kinsmann - light years better than he looked on tv. Henry - in full flow just about unplayable. Rolls Royce footballer. Dalglish - not only brilliant, he had that aura.

This sort of thing is very personal, which is why it’s fun. There are no right and wrong answers. Just interesting recollections.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2023 22:35]
Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 21:29 - Sep 29 with 902 viewsrunaround

Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 09:41 - Sep 29 by soupytwist

Did you see Andrea Pirlo make his European competition debut for Brescia in the Anglo European Cup against, checks notes, Ipswich Town?

Yes I did
Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 22:23 - Sep 29 with 882 viewsRocky

Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 17:26 - Sep 29 by GlasgowBlue

He was player/manager of Hereford United when I saw him in the early 70's at Weymouth in the Southern League.

John Charles would also make my top 5. I can recall him playing centre half for Cardiff City at Portman Road. My others - based purely on performances at portman Road:
Johnny Haynes
Colin Bell
Peter Knowles
Mick Channon
Login to get fewer ads

Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 22:30 - Sep 29 with 878 viewsArnieM

Best
Cruyff
Platini
Van Bastin
Ardiles

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 23:41 - Sep 29 with 862 viewsgosblue

Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 22:23 - Sep 29 by Rocky

John Charles would also make my top 5. I can recall him playing centre half for Cardiff City at Portman Road. My others - based purely on performances at portman Road:
Johnny Haynes
Colin Bell
Peter Knowles
Mick Channon

I never saw John Charles play but I did meet him at a sportsman’s dinner. A lovely gentleman, he spent time chatting with a few of us at the end of the night when others might have been keen to slip away. Colin Bell is a great shout. He was never a ‘rock and roll’ kind of guy but what a brilliant player. He doesn’t leap to mind when thinking of great players, but he should.
Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 01:23 - Sep 30 with 854 viewsBondiBlue

Best is very subjective, but my 5 favourite non-ipswich players i've seen in the flesh would have to be:

Ronaldo (brazilian)
Cantona
Bergkamp
Beckham
Roy Keane

If we're doing best performances live, i'd have to include eidur gudjohnsen and freddie ljungberg.

Poll: Which would you accept?

Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 08:00 - Sep 30 with 787 viewsNomore4

Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 01:23 - Sep 30 by BondiBlue

Best is very subjective, but my 5 favourite non-ipswich players i've seen in the flesh would have to be:

Ronaldo (brazilian)
Cantona
Bergkamp
Beckham
Roy Keane

If we're doing best performances live, i'd have to include eidur gudjohnsen and freddie ljungberg.

Messi Neymer xavi Innesta Hoddle
Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 08:10 - Sep 30 with 785 viewsdurhamj

God, i'm knocking on now. I'll go for

Maradona
Gazza
Lineker
Shilton
Bryan Robson
Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 08:31 - Sep 30 with 773 viewsAndyGoodchild

Messi
Cristiano Ronaldo
Ronaldo (R9)
Zidane
Paolo Maldini
Five best non-Ipswich players you personally ever saw on 08:44 - Sep 30 with 758 viewsElephantintheRoom

Bobby Charlton

Bobby Moore

Gunther Netzer

Johan Cruyff

Michel Platini

Goalie - Gordon Banks ….even better than David Best

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024