Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Job dilemma 11:27 - Mar 3 with 3371 viewstractordownsouth

Good people of TWTD, I have a dilemma which I would appreciate your opinions on.

I recently started a job which is on an initial 6 month contract running until April. They have indicated that it will likely be extended but so far there’s no been no definitive decision.

With this in mind, I recently completed a job application and on Wednesday evening, I received an email saying I’m through to the assessment centre on Monday afternoon. The job is in the same area I’m currently living in but it’s a national recruitment process so the assessment centre in a city 3 hours away. This means having to take a whole day off work and I can’t book leave at such short notice.

I don’t dislike my current job but the one I have applied for is more suited to what I want to do long term, has a longer contract and pays more so I’d like the opportunity to do the interview.

Basically I have 3 choices. I’ve asked my parents and my girlfriend’s parents and they’ve given me conflicting advice.

First option is to tell my manager this afternoon. There is a legal requirement to give me time off to attend the interview but obviously a risk he might get rid of me after the 6 month period if they feel I’m not committed. If I choose this option, I’ll have to tell him this afternoon.

Second option is to go sick. This would leave me tight for time as I’d need to arrange an out off office email and phone in but would keep the interview secret from my boss. Obviously a big risk with getting caught out too which I ideally want to avoid.

Third option is to just forget the interview altogether.

What would you suggest??

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Job dilemma on 11:29 - Mar 3 with 2518 viewsleitrimblue

Throw a sicky an go to interview. Life's to short not to
Job dilemma on 11:32 - Mar 3 with 2493 viewsSuperblue95

Can’t you make up some kind of emergency today that means you can’t make it in on Monday? I had to have three interviews for my current job, so I was having a lot of emergency dental work done meaning I needed days off

Failing that can you see if you can get the interview pushed back until later in the week which wouldn’t be giving as short notice?

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Job dilemma on 11:34 - Mar 3 with 2466 viewsbluefunk

So, in summary, you may not have a job in May? Whatever happens you need to attend this interview, but to protect yourself, you want to hedge your bets on getting an extension of your temporary job - obvious answer, take a sick day, you don’t want to jeopardise your potential future job for something which may not materialise anyway

Edited
[Post edited 3 Mar 2023 11:36]
Job dilemma on 11:36 - Mar 3 with 2437 viewsmrfixit426

Keep it simple. Go sick.

And good luck!
Job dilemma on 11:39 - Mar 3 with 2372 viewsElephantintheRoom

Thé trick is not to get caught. I once took a sickie to go to a test match at the oval (long before email and mobiles) Unbeknown to me a girl was flashing her boobs on the balcony on one of the flats behind the stands - which got in the super soaraway sun and on the news…. With me clearly visible in the crowd. The summons to see the MD came bright and early the next day.

Obviously you should go to the interview - if you’re successful it puts you in a negotiating position if you want to stay put. Nobody can hand around on short term contracts - nor would your employer expect you to.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Job dilemma on 11:39 - Mar 3 with 2374 viewsJ2BLUE

Is there any possibility at all they could find out?

If not, go sick. It’s not ideal but if they could find someone to do your job to the same level for cheaper they would get rid of you immediately. You may remember me posting on here about getting a job about 2 years ago. I was buzzing. It was right up my street with lots of advantages. For a year or so I really thought they valued me. They dangled a promotion in front of me from month three. Eventually I realised the owner didn’t value anyone and had told managers there would not be any promotions for a while as he launched a new business venture. He didn’t even mention inflation or pay rises when inflation was 10%.

So I quit (and just to finish the story I’m going somewhere for 4 days a week on more money). Moral of the story though is that you need to look out for your own interests. The days of being loyal to a company are over. The older generations seem to think the world of work is the same where you be loyal, work your way up and then leave with a generous pension. In most cases it isn’t like that. Imagine you don’t go to this interview and then they get rid of you. I have been in a similar situation. 6 month contract. They wanted to keep me but then the tories got in and cut their funding (they were a charity). They offered me a one month rolling contract. I wanted to stay but had another job offer so had to leave. You never know how things will turn out.

As long as you are 100% sure they won’t find out, take the sick day.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Job dilemma on 11:42 - Mar 3 with 2364 viewsJakeITFC

Short notice obviously, but I think you're well within your rights to be honest with your boss and say you'll be unemployed end of next month and so are having to look for roles elsewhere (as they have not extended your contract yet).

I'd be telling them you have the recruitment day and would like clarity on your future with your current company next week too (and I appreciate it is easy for me to say this from behind a laptop when it is your livelihood at stake, but sometimes these conversations/decisions can slip a manager's mind so it's better to grasp the nettle now and try and get ahead of it).
Job dilemma on 11:43 - Mar 3 with 2355 viewsNutkins_Return

If you have a good and open relationship with your boss I would explain you are enjoying your current job and hoping for an extension but since you currently don't have this security you have to keep your options open and have this interview opportunity to attend. If they are looking to keep you on this will focus their mind to make sure they get it sorted. It doesn't show lack of commitment at all. You can't risk being unemployed.

If you don't have that relationship with manager and he is an unreasonable sort then still make sure you attend this interview.
Login to get fewer ads

Job dilemma on 11:45 - Mar 3 with 2329 viewsgiant_stow

Sick day, without a doubt.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Job dilemma on 11:46 - Mar 3 with 2305 viewshomer_123

I'd be honest and explain that as they have not confirmed your contract beyond April, you are having to actively look for work.

You have an interview and require time off.

That way - you can't come unstuck at any point. Also, it cannot hardly be news to them, given they haven't given you a decision.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Job dilemma on 11:47 - Mar 3 with 2293 viewstractorboy1978

Job dilemma on 11:43 - Mar 3 by Nutkins_Return

If you have a good and open relationship with your boss I would explain you are enjoying your current job and hoping for an extension but since you currently don't have this security you have to keep your options open and have this interview opportunity to attend. If they are looking to keep you on this will focus their mind to make sure they get it sorted. It doesn't show lack of commitment at all. You can't risk being unemployed.

If you don't have that relationship with manager and he is an unreasonable sort then still make sure you attend this interview.

Echo this response 100%. If I was the boss I would really appreciate your honesty and totally understand your position.

Edit - if you are working for someone that doesn't understand that and holds it against you, you should be looking for a new job regardless!
[Post edited 3 Mar 2023 11:49]
Job dilemma on 11:53 - Mar 3 with 2228 viewsHerbivore

Personally, I'd go with the first option and be honest. You can say that as thing stand your contract runs out in a month so you need to explore other options. There is nothing wrong with doing so and any half decent employer will understand. It may even force their hand in firming up an extension to your contract if they are keen to keep you.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Job dilemma on 11:55 - Mar 3 with 2222 viewstractordownsouth

Thanks for the responses everyone so far.

Another thing I should probably mention is that if it was a choice between an extension in my current role and the one I’ve applied for, I’d still choose the new job because it’s more up my street.

My initial plan was to frame it as asking about if a decision has been made yet on my extension and then use that context to talk about the interview and how I need to take the opportunity. But if he gives me a definitive yes for the extension, then I’m a bit screwed because I still want to do the interview so I can’t say it’s just for the sake of certainty.

As for the chances of getting caught, if I drive I almost certainly won’t and it’s an quicker way of getting to the venue. With the train there’s a slight risk of running into the deputy manager who doesn’t work Mondays and lives in the area I’d need to get the train from. But it would give me time to prep for the interview and save me the stress of driving in a new city.

Job dilemma on 11:55 - Mar 3 with 2221 viewsGuthrum

I'd say tell your boss, but frame it that you've not had anything from them about contract extension, so need to look at options. Will also be a test of how much they might want you.

After all, this stuff about "commitment" is not a one-way street. They have no right to demand it from you without giving assurances in return.

Yes, it could backfire. But you aren't necessarily saying you want to leave, just covering yourself in case they don't extend. Ideally, you may end up with a choice of jobs.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Job dilemma on 11:58 - Mar 3 with 2188 viewsHerbivore

Job dilemma on 11:55 - Mar 3 by tractordownsouth

Another thing I should probably mention is that if it was a choice between an extension in my current role and the one I’ve applied for, I’d still choose the new job because it’s more up my street.

My initial plan was to frame it as asking about if a decision has been made yet on my extension and then use that context to talk about the interview and how I need to take the opportunity. But if he gives me a definitive yes for the extension, then I’m a bit screwed because I still want to do the interview so I can’t say it’s just for the sake of certainty.

As for the chances of getting caught, if I drive I almost certainly won’t and it’s an quicker way of getting to the venue. With the train there’s a slight risk of running into the deputy manager who doesn’t work Mondays and lives in the area I’d need to get the train from. But it would give me time to prep for the interview and save me the stress of driving in a new city.

I'd still err on the side of being honest, personally. It's not the 1970s where there's an expectation that people stay with the same employer for life, especially when you're only on a fixed term contract. If the other role is permanent then it offers you greater stability than a further extension in this role anyway so they'd understand your need to explore this opportunity.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Job dilemma on 12:12 - Mar 3 with 2044 viewsNutkins_Return

Job dilemma on 11:55 - Mar 3 by tractordownsouth

You still need to go to the interview. Don't worry about them making any guarantees, you have arranged to go an can advise them accordingly. As I say it will focus their mind and also potentially help you with any salary negotiation.

I have had this exact scenario happen with someone we had on fixed term and I totally understood and put more pressure to get the extension sorted.

It should be win win for you unless they have really poor approach to people. In which case you will be best of our of there even if you don't get the other job...
Job dilemma on 12:14 - Mar 3 with 2013 viewsClapham_Junction

Job dilemma on 11:46 - Mar 3 by homer_123

I'd be honest and explain that as they have not confirmed your contract beyond April, you are having to actively look for work.

You have an interview and require time off.

That way - you can't come unstuck at any point. Also, it cannot hardly be news to them, given they haven't given you a decision.

I echo this position. I manage a team with a few people on short-term contracts, and I would be more than understanding if one of them asked for a day off to go for an interview. However, if they lied about being sick, it would colour my view of them.

If your current boss isn't happy about you going for an interview, then I'm not sure they are the kind of person you really want to be working for anyway.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2023 12:15]
Job dilemma on 14:27 - Mar 3 with 1727 viewstractordownsouth

I think I’m leaning towards telling my boss this afternoon. The only thing I worry about a bit is if he does say that my contract’s been extended, I won’t have a clue what to say because I’d still prefer this new role to my existing one.

A mate suggested the ‘invent a dead relative and say it’s a funeral’ idea but don’t think I have it in me for that.

Job dilemma on 14:31 - Mar 3 with 1706 viewsSwansea_Blue

Job dilemma on 11:43 - Mar 3 by Nutkins_Return

That's what I'd recommend too. You never know when your current work relationships may come around to haunt you again, so best to be honest and open imo. Also, in addition to focussing their minds on the renewal, if they know you're looking elsewhere you may be able to use that as a lever for more pay or more flexible conditions.

Do what you feel is the right thing to do with your current employer, but it sounds like attending the interview is a no-brainer.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Job dilemma on 14:53 - Mar 3 with 1650 viewsNutkins_Return

Job dilemma on 14:27 - Mar 3 by tractordownsouth

I think I’m leaning towards telling my boss this afternoon. The only thing I worry about a bit is if he does say that my contract’s been extended, I won’t have a clue what to say because I’d still prefer this new role to my existing one.

A mate suggested the ‘invent a dead relative and say it’s a funeral’ idea but don’t think I have it in me for that.

As I say, you have arranged to attend the interview now and it's not professional to just pull out. It's perfectly reasonable. It also shows them you are in demand. You don't have anything in hand from them currently. Do not stress on this (I know easier said then done).

Key thing to remember here is you are doing nothing wrong and you are being completely reasonable. You should be respected much more for being open and transparent. As a boss you can't ask for more than that. You can open with "I have a lot of respect for you and the company and didn't want to simply pull a sickie".

Good luck and I hope you get the job.
Job dilemma on 14:54 - Mar 3 with 1646 viewsronnyd

Just tell them that you have the chance of a job with a longer contract and more secure, longer term prospects. They will then see, hopefully, that you are being honest and upfront about it. Which in turn may boost their own assessment of you. Good luck on whatever you do.
Job dilemma on 14:59 - Mar 3 with 1619 viewsWestSussexBlue

Job dilemma on 11:42 - Mar 3 by JakeITFC

Short notice obviously, but I think you're well within your rights to be honest with your boss and say you'll be unemployed end of next month and so are having to look for roles elsewhere (as they have not extended your contract yet).

I'd be telling them you have the recruitment day and would like clarity on your future with your current company next week too (and I appreciate it is easy for me to say this from behind a laptop when it is your livelihood at stake, but sometimes these conversations/decisions can slip a manager's mind so it's better to grasp the nettle now and try and get ahead of it).

Honesty will pay in the long run and you’ll likely get respect from your boss than taking the easy route and calling in sick.
Job dilemma on 14:59 - Mar 3 with 1621 viewsclive_baker

You have to look after number 1, however uncomfortable that might be.

My advise would be to throw a sickie on the day, go and smash the assessment center and see how it plays out from there.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Job dilemma on 16:35 - Mar 3 with 1502 viewstractordownsouth

It's all sorted.

I spoke to my boss just now and I'm allowed to take a flexi day to do the interview.

I explained the need for certainty in the job and that I wanted a contingency plan for if the budget doesn't allow me to stay beyond May. He said that my contract will get extended for another six months, the only reason he couldn't say for definite is because it's dependant on my probation but that I'll comfortably pass because he's happy with my work so far.

I explained that this particular job was one I almost got last year and re-applied for when I saw a new advert for the same role - that's a genuine truth, I just didn't mention it in the OP as I didn't feel it was relevant. I said that now I've submitted the application and got the interview I'd like to give it a go but that if I'm not successful, I'll take the six month extension in the current job because I'm not actively looking to leave.

My boss said he was happy I'd told him in advance and while he doesn't want me to leave, he'll happily provide a reference if I get the role. So it's a win-win.

Cheers to everyone who took the time to reply to the thread. I'm very relieved it's all done now.

Job dilemma on 17:51 - Mar 3 with 1408 viewsSteve_M

Job dilemma on 16:35 - Mar 3 by tractordownsouth

It's all sorted.

I spoke to my boss just now and I'm allowed to take a flexi day to do the interview.

I explained the need for certainty in the job and that I wanted a contingency plan for if the budget doesn't allow me to stay beyond May. He said that my contract will get extended for another six months, the only reason he couldn't say for definite is because it's dependant on my probation but that I'll comfortably pass because he's happy with my work so far.

I explained that this particular job was one I almost got last year and re-applied for when I saw a new advert for the same role - that's a genuine truth, I just didn't mention it in the OP as I didn't feel it was relevant. I said that now I've submitted the application and got the interview I'd like to give it a go but that if I'm not successful, I'll take the six month extension in the current job because I'm not actively looking to leave.

My boss said he was happy I'd told him in advance and while he doesn't want me to leave, he'll happily provide a reference if I get the role. So it's a win-win.

Cheers to everyone who took the time to reply to the thread. I'm very relieved it's all done now.

That’s good.

I was about to add that I was definitely in favour of the openness approach too. And the response of your current boss is a good thing if you do end up staying there.

Good luck with the assessment thing next week.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2023 17:52]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024