Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our front three is unique 10:17 - Mar 5 with 1805 viewsSomethingBlue

Two number 10s behind a number 9, but all three have exceptional poaching instincts. Chaplin and Broadhead bring a lot of other qualities, obviously, but I can't think of many sides at any level that fields two 10s who both come alive in the box like that and essentially become like old-school strikers. It gives us a massive goal threat now. Other teams maybe quicker, more physical or direct in those areas but I can't see any that match our cutting edge if we keep getting the ball to those guys. Let's hope this post survives the next few weeks' tougher assignments but the essential point remains — whether they get us over the line or not, the qualities those three have as a collective are really unusual imo.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Our front three is unique on 10:51 - Mar 5 with 1675 viewsScuzzer

'Are' unique.
But what you are saying is correct. For me Ladapo has improved immensely, works his butt off and has developed his positional sense greatly.
Now have to get Hirst up to speed as no doubt he will be needed between now and the end of the season.
COYB!

Established 1968

Our front three is unique on 11:04 - Mar 5 with 1630 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Our front three is unique on 10:51 - Mar 5 by Scuzzer

'Are' unique.
But what you are saying is correct. For me Ladapo has improved immensely, works his butt off and has developed his positional sense greatly.
Now have to get Hirst up to speed as no doubt he will be needed between now and the end of the season.
COYB!

[pedantic] He's talking about the front 3 as a collective thing, so "is" is correct [/pedantic]

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Our front three is unique on 11:05 - Mar 5 with 1622 viewsWacko

Our front three is unique on 11:04 - Mar 5 by The_Flashing_Smile

[pedantic] He's talking about the front 3 as a collective thing, so "is" is correct [/pedantic]

Quite. The word "unique" implies this also. There can't be multiple things that are unique

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Our front three is unique on 11:21 - Mar 5 with 1548 viewsLankHenners

Someone like Clarke-Harris is probably an all-round more 'dominant' striker in the box but I honestly think Chaplin is the best natural finisher in the division. Don't think there's anyone that can better him for picking out the corners from tight spaces and angles. There's been a lot of focus on our ability to concede goals from nothing this season which is very true (though hopefully we've put that behind us a bit now) but Chaplin can turn a situation which doesn't scream 'goal scoring chance' by any means into a goal. Could just be me but I didn't think his first goal yesterday was really on as he was controlling the ball with his back to goal and had a couple of defenders in the way between him and the net but somehow squeezed it in. Really high quality stuff.

Good recruitment getting Broadhead in on evidence so far - probably one where whatever they paid for him they could justify as they knew he'd contribute with goals and he has done so far. Big upgrade on Harness imo.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Our front three is unique on 12:08 - Mar 5 with 1446 viewschicoazul

I was really worried about goals when the season started so it shows what I know but if Fred and Conor both break 20 and Broadhead gets 10 you’d like to think we’d be in the automatic spot.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Our front three is unique on 12:20 - Mar 5 with 1415 viewsAlanRetentive

Our front three is unique on 11:05 - Mar 5 by Wacko

Quite. The word "unique" implies this also. There can't be multiple things that are unique

I think that you will find that there can be multiple things 'which' are unique, but in different ways.

Various professionals over the years have suggested that I am unique (often very loudly and aggressively, uniquely), and I am sure that there is at least one other entity in the universe which is also unique, but in a different way.

*** Puch Maxi N Owners Club, Social Distancing Officer (SoDOff) and Undersecretary for The Verification of Vaccinations And Testing (UTVVAT) 2021 ***

Our front three is unique on 12:40 - Mar 5 with 1326 viewsDyland

Our front three is unique on 12:08 - Mar 5 by chicoazul

I was really worried about goals when the season started so it shows what I know but if Fred and Conor both break 20 and Broadhead gets 10 you’d like to think we’d be in the automatic spot.

I forget the poster's name who banged on and on about us not scoring any goals cos Ladapo wasn't good alone up top. This poster continued digging a hole even when we were clearly scoring plenty, because Ladders hadn't hit form, but ignored the fact we were, er, scoring plenty of goals. They've completely disappeared now.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Our front three is unique on 12:48 - Mar 5 with 1288 viewsStenvict

Our front three is unique on 12:40 - Mar 5 by Dyland

I forget the poster's name who banged on and on about us not scoring any goals cos Ladapo wasn't good alone up top. This poster continued digging a hole even when we were clearly scoring plenty, because Ladders hadn't hit form, but ignored the fact we were, er, scoring plenty of goals. They've completely disappeared now.

The majority of the fan base were crying out for another striker, someone to REPLACE Ladapo. They were all delighted when we got Hirst, but if they wanted a new striker that will score a load of goals, they haven't got him. What we actually needed was an upgrade on Harness, which we now have. Ladapo was never the problem.

Poll: What will be announced first?

Login to get fewer ads

Our front three is unique on 12:50 - Mar 5 with 1263 viewsBlueBadger

Our front three is unique on 12:40 - Mar 5 by Dyland

That or changed their name to 'FimleyBlue'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Our front three is unique on 13:06 - Mar 5 with 1193 viewsWacko

Our front three is unique on 12:20 - Mar 5 by AlanRetentive

I think that you will find that there can be multiple things 'which' are unique, but in different ways.

Various professionals over the years have suggested that I am unique (often very loudly and aggressively, uniquely), and I am sure that there is at least one other entity in the universe which is also unique, but in a different way.

That's my point, things can be individually unique, but not collectively unique. A "front three" is a combination of three players - the combination can be unique but the three players cannot be collectively unique (but are indeed individually unique)

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Our front three is unique on 13:11 - Mar 5 with 1171 viewsDyland

Our front three is unique on 12:48 - Mar 5 by Stenvict

The majority of the fan base were crying out for another striker, someone to REPLACE Ladapo. They were all delighted when we got Hirst, but if they wanted a new striker that will score a load of goals, they haven't got him. What we actually needed was an upgrade on Harness, which we now have. Ladapo was never the problem.

The majority of fans were crying out for someone to replace Ladapo? I didn't get that impression at all. A small minority I'd say.

Agree with your general point though. And that was my point about this poster banging on about us not being able score any goals. They were clueless tbh.

Our front three is unique on 13:13 - Mar 5 with 1165 viewsDyland

Our front three is unique on 11:21 - Mar 5 by LankHenners

Someone like Clarke-Harris is probably an all-round more 'dominant' striker in the box but I honestly think Chaplin is the best natural finisher in the division. Don't think there's anyone that can better him for picking out the corners from tight spaces and angles. There's been a lot of focus on our ability to concede goals from nothing this season which is very true (though hopefully we've put that behind us a bit now) but Chaplin can turn a situation which doesn't scream 'goal scoring chance' by any means into a goal. Could just be me but I didn't think his first goal yesterday was really on as he was controlling the ball with his back to goal and had a couple of defenders in the way between him and the net but somehow squeezed it in. Really high quality stuff.

Good recruitment getting Broadhead in on evidence so far - probably one where whatever they paid for him they could justify as they knew he'd contribute with goals and he has done so far. Big upgrade on Harness imo.

Right foot to boot. He's a top player, up there now with Morsy imo as our best.

Our front three is unique on 13:16 - Mar 5 with 1148 viewsDyland

Our front three is unique on 12:50 - Mar 5 by BlueBadger

That or changed their name to 'FimleyBlue'.

Maybe it was Chickers' comedy leery sock puppet :)

Our front three is unique on 13:28 - Mar 5 with 1114 viewsHerbivore

Our front three is unique on 13:11 - Mar 5 by Dyland

The majority of fans were crying out for someone to replace Ladapo? I didn't get that impression at all. A small minority I'd say.

Agree with your general point though. And that was my point about this poster banging on about us not being able score any goals. They were clueless tbh.

Early part of the season there was definitely some clamour to bring in an upgrade on Ladapo. By the time January rolled around that had quietened down a lot and it was more about having another option up there for competition and rotation.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Our front three is unique on 13:33 - Mar 5 with 1079 viewsDyland

Our front three is unique on 13:28 - Mar 5 by Herbivore

Early part of the season there was definitely some clamour to bring in an upgrade on Ladapo. By the time January rolled around that had quietened down a lot and it was more about having another option up there for competition and rotation.

Hairy muff

Our front three is unique on 13:37 - Mar 5 with 1062 viewsDyland

Our front three is unique on 11:04 - Mar 5 by The_Flashing_Smile

Can a collective noun be more than one word?

Is "front three" a collective noun? I guess I've answered my own question by using 'is' instead of 'are'.

"Fun with grammar".

EDIT: Actually no, 'is' goes with 'a collective noun'...

"No fun with grammar"
[Post edited 5 Mar 2023 13:39]

Our front three is unique on 13:38 - Mar 5 with 1058 viewsGavTWTD

It must be difficult to defend against too.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Our front three is unique on 13:44 - Mar 5 with 1015 viewsTrequartista

Our front three is unique on 12:08 - Mar 5 by chicoazul

Sheffield Wednesday's top scorer has 11. It really doesn't matter who scores.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Chaplin was saying how similar he thinks Broadhead is to him (n/t) on 14:21 - Mar 5 with 921 viewsunstableblue

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Our front three is unique on 14:23 - Mar 5 with 910 viewschicoazul

Our front three is unique on 13:44 - Mar 5 by Trequartista

Sheffield Wednesday's top scorer has 11. It really doesn't matter who scores.

While that’s true it’s also true that if you don’t have a top gun up front (and I felt we didn’t) then you need to have multiple threats across your midfield and attack, and my worry was we didn’t.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024