Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Area for improvement. 20:30 - Feb 19 with 3409 viewsBluespeed225

‘The Ball Team’. Are they youngsters with the Club? They seem to have no interest/urgency/clue. If get a corner, they should be sprinting with the ball to the corner flag. I’d be metaphorically kicking every ball if I was out there! If we get in the play offs, last minutes and we need a goal they can be that extra man. Remember the Spammers pulling that trick? No multi ball for us, they seemed to have several ready for throw ins. Is there a maximum age? Bring back Keith Deller!
Area for improvement. on 21:05 - Feb 19 with 3059 viewsGarv

They definitely need to be a tad older and given actual guidance, in my opinion.

Sometimes they aren't even aware of whose ball it it, e.g we win a corner and they throw it to the keeper for a gk. Not really their fault, they look really young.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

With how forensic the club are being about other elements of match prep and… on 21:38 - Feb 19 with 2975 viewsunstableblue

… in-game details. These ball boys and boy girls and their lack of preparation, urgency and connection to any game plan, stand out as a bit odd.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Area for improvement. on 21:49 - Feb 19 with 2937 viewsfabian_illness

They are kids from local football teams.
They turn up about an hour before the game starts, get told to fetch the ball when it goes near them but in no uncertain terms are they allowed on the pitch.
Don't blame the kids.
Area for improvement. on 22:07 - Feb 19 with 2858 viewsZx1988

Area for improvement. on 21:49 - Feb 19 by fabian_illness

They turn up about an hour before the game starts, get told to fetch the ball when it goes near them but in no uncertain terms are they allowed on the pitch.
Don't blame the kids.

I get the feeling that this is where the potential issue lies?

It's been an age-old football tradition that the ball team is sourced from local schools or football teams, and certainly makes for a fantastic PR initiative. With the club's heightened focus on the PR side of things, I can see why they might be loath to switch to a more professional setup.

There must be a way to retain the positive link with local youth football, whilst transitioning to a better ball team setup that can work in tandem with the requirements of the First Team.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Area for improvement. on 00:46 - Feb 20 with 2686 viewsbournemouthblue

Area for improvement. on 22:07 - Feb 19 by Zx1988

It's been an age-old football tradition that the ball team is sourced from local schools or football teams, and certainly makes for a fantastic PR initiative. With the club's heightened focus on the PR side of things, I can see why they might be loath to switch to a more professional setup.

There must be a way to retain the positive link with local youth football, whilst transitioning to a better ball team setup that can work in tandem with the requirements of the First Team.

They could certainly do with a crack team for bigger matches, perhaps they could score the ball boys and girls like you would a referee and consider the better performing ones for bigger games?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Area for improvement. on 07:21 - Feb 20 with 2511 viewsITFC_Forever

Area for improvement. on 22:07 - Feb 19 by Zx1988

It didn’t used to be, back in the eighties there was a team of regulars, a couple of lads from my school were in it.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Area for improvement. on 09:04 - Feb 20 with 2309 viewsDarth_Koont

We don’t get the ball in that quickly, do we? We rarely look like we’re busting a gut anyway.

Maybe we would if the ball was always there but we look a side – especially with Davis’s delivery and now Clarke’s long throw – who want to take their time with set pieces and throw-ins.

Pronouns: He/Him

Area for improvement. on 09:05 - Feb 20 with 2311 viewsdavblue

Area for improvement. on 00:46 - Feb 20 by bournemouthblue

They could certainly do with a crack team for bigger matches, perhaps they could score the ball boys and girls like you would a referee and consider the better performing ones for bigger games?

they are young children, not sure it should be made into a competition and im not one of those anti competition types, i love competition but unless the club has a rota of trained boys/girls to do the job regularly then i don't think there should be any expectations put on them.
Login to get fewer ads

Area for improvement. on 09:10 - Feb 20 with 2272 viewsclive_baker

Area for improvement. on 09:04 - Feb 20 by Darth_Koont

We don’t get the ball in that quickly, do we? We rarely look like we’re busting a gut anyway.

Maybe we would if the ball was always there but we look a side – especially with Davis’s delivery and now Clarke’s long throw – who want to take their time with set pieces and throw-ins.

The 'long throws' have wound me up these last few games. If you've not got it in your locker don't attempt it.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Area for improvement. on 09:21 - Feb 20 with 2206 viewsDarth_Koont

Area for improvement. on 09:10 - Feb 20 by clive_baker

The 'long throws' have wound me up these last few games. If you've not got it in your locker don't attempt it.

To be fair, the first one Clarke threw on his debut was an absolute missile. Not had quite the same since but a great weapon IF he can throw that fast, flat throw more consistently.

Pronouns: He/Him

Area for improvement. on 09:49 - Feb 20 with 2157 viewswrightsrightglove

Didn’t they use academy players for a while? Seem to recall that happening to give the academy players a chance to experience the game up close along with the atmosphere etc. i wouldn’t be adverse to that happening again and for them to be drilled on when to speed up / slow the game down.
Area for improvement. on 09:51 - Feb 20 with 2169 viewsPhilTWTD

I don't know the current policy but I remember they were told under Joe Royle not to show urgency, to take their time before getting the ball back to players so as not to inadvertently misread a situation and give the opposition an advantage.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Area for improvement. on 09:55 - Feb 20 with 2129 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Area for improvement. on 09:51 - Feb 20 by PhilTWTD

I don't know the current policy but I remember they were told under Joe Royle not to show urgency, to take their time before getting the ball back to players so as not to inadvertently misread a situation and give the opposition an advantage.

And it is certainly a managed thing by clubs now, in terms of telling them to respond quickly or not. I would be stunned if the club is giving no direction to them.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Area for improvement. on 10:10 - Feb 20 with 2064 viewsBluefields

Area for improvement. on 09:55 - Feb 20 by JammyDodgerrr

And it is certainly a managed thing by clubs now, in terms of telling them to respond quickly or not. I would be stunned if the club is giving no direction to them.

They arent given any specific instructions. The young girl behind the North Stand goal for the Sheff Wed game looked about 8.
Area for improvement. on 11:00 - Feb 20 with 1984 viewsitfcjoe

You aren't allowed multi ball any more - but this is something I contacted the club about earlier in the season and they have no plans to change it.

Missed opportunity for me - get one of the young academy teams out there watching players intently and being able to read game state etc and help us out

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Area for improvement. on 11:32 - Feb 20 with 1902 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Its infuriating. Its not even that they are too slow. Its that they don't even get the ball, they just sit there all game. I remember some guy asked it at the fans forum and got mocked on twitter a bit.

Let the academy players do it, and have Mckenna talk them through what he wants. Will be great experience for them

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Area for improvement. on 12:00 - Feb 20 with 1806 viewsLankHenners

Think rotating it around local schools or football groups or whatever they do is a nice community idea and must be lovely for the kids and for their families to see them involved but agree with others they could do with a bit of 'coaching' at times. Half the time they don't move when they ball goes out and sometimes they're quick to throw the ball to an opposition player who's asking for it. Some of them do rush about quite a bit and it's often JD when he's playing telling them to slow down if we're leading going into the last 5 mins or so.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Area for improvement. on 12:37 - Feb 20 with 1680 views3_5_2

Area for improvement. on 21:49 - Feb 19 by fabian_illness

Don't blame the kids.

my daughters team did it when they were u12 and this is exactly what happens

They are not given any advice or prep on what to do at all other don't go on the pitch and throw it, not kick

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Area for improvement. on 12:57 - Feb 20 with 1584 viewsbournemouthblue

Area for improvement. on 09:05 - Feb 20 by davblue

they are young children, not sure it should be made into a competition and im not one of those anti competition types, i love competition but unless the club has a rota of trained boys/girls to do the job regularly then i don't think there should be any expectations put on them.

I'm not suggesting the children are privvy to the results, simply the club have a way to draft the better teams in for the bigger games, they could then coach them up a bit and offer advice etc

I appreciate it shouldn't be a massive game changing move but clearly other clubs take it a bit more seriously?

Area for improvement. on 13:02 - Feb 20 with 1563 viewsPinewoodblue

Area for improvement. on 12:57 - Feb 20 by bournemouthblue

I'm not suggesting the children are privvy to the results, simply the club have a way to draft the better teams in for the bigger games, they could then coach them up a bit and offer advice etc

I appreciate it shouldn't be a massive game changing move but clearly other clubs take it a bit more seriously?

Remember, years ago, a hard fought game at St Andrew’s. When home side went one up, late in the game, Trevor Francis recalled all the ball boys/girls. Brilliant time waster.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Area for improvement. on 13:15 - Feb 20 with 1495 viewsAsa

I'd be interested to know if I hold the record for oldest ball boy / ball girl.

The guy in charge of the ball team now has been there forever. For the first home game of the 95/96 season they had a massive shortage and, as we knew the guy (his mum and dad ran the refreshments bit near where my dad sold Golden Goals) I got asked to do it as a one off. I was 16!

I took every opportunity I could as it was a one off. I was in front of the Cobbold Stand in the North Stand corner, spent most of the game singing along with the North, couldn't resist going onto the pitch and having a kick with about 10 mins to go, after the ball hit a hoarding and bounced slightly onto the pitch (they couldn't sack me!).

I even managed to throw the ball miles past a Palace player coming over to take the throw with a minute left, as we were 1-0 up, to a big cheer from the North! The Palace player went mental at me. I've always thought it was David Hopkins but that might just be because I decided some time later he was the one who was most likely to go mad but can't see he'd have been the one taking the throw. I didn't dare make eye conduct and scurried back to my advertising board.

Even back then it was just a) don't go on the pitch and b) don't kick the ball. Couldn't believe how little prep there was. Just got changed into a tracksuit and I was pitchside.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2023 13:17]
Area for improvement. on 13:26 - Feb 20 with 1431 viewsmonty_radio

On a slightly variant note, I've noticed two or three times recently that, when these same languid ball retrievers have lobbed it gently back to an opposing goalkeeper, that said goalie suddenly misremembers that they are a goalie at all, and gently pats it away from where it needs to be going and has to trudge after it. I've yet to see a ref intervene, but that should be one warning, then a yellow - no wait! Instant yellow!

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Area for improvement. on 13:50 - Feb 20 with 1354 viewsbournemouthblue

Area for improvement. on 13:26 - Feb 20 by monty_radio

On a slightly variant note, I've noticed two or three times recently that, when these same languid ball retrievers have lobbed it gently back to an opposing goalkeeper, that said goalie suddenly misremembers that they are a goalie at all, and gently pats it away from where it needs to be going and has to trudge after it. I've yet to see a ref intervene, but that should be one warning, then a yellow - no wait! Instant yellow!

League One seems to be the peak league for this, no doubts the dark arts get worse the further you go down the pyramid

Area for improvement. on 21:08 - Feb 20 with 1008 viewsuppersirbob

Area for improvement. on 09:51 - Feb 20 by PhilTWTD

My lad has done this a couple of times this season they were told McKenna wanted balls back quickly to us not to opposing team
If we are more than 2 goals up slow down
Area for improvement. on 22:18 - Feb 20 with 928 viewsxrayspecs

Area for improvement. on 13:26 - Feb 20 by monty_radio

It is rife.

Goalkeepers are very adept at misjudging the ball when they want to waste time. Fumbling passes to them so that it runs away from them so that they can slowly walk after the ball. Having been super confident the ball is now a hot potato.

Wycombe (?) was one of many examples of this s1ithousery. Included subs kicking the ball way behind the hoardings, for which they were rightly booked.

Any time wasting, straight red.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024