Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** 10:21 - Nov 16 with 13248 viewsitfcjoe

Did anyone go? And what did you think of it?

Personally found it pretty disappointing, I've really liked his early stand ups but found this one so weak.

Not sure whether it was because an early show and hasn't put it all together properly as yet - but it felt so poorly crafted and just generally really weak.

Felt like premise of show was to talk a bit about being woke, try and make a really obvious joke about something where you could see punchline a mile off, or just say something of shock jock type to say - and then the attempt to knit it together at the end was just to say "Free speech is being able to make offensive jokes, and laughing at them doesn't make you a bad person" like most people would agree with anyway but as though it was some massive epiphany

Some of the jokes were clever, and felt like this could be going somewhere good - but then too often ended up with a joke that wouldn't be out of place at a Jim Davidson show but pretending it was edgy rather than just lazy and easy

A real shame, used to be such a big fan but feel each show he's done has got progressively worse since The Office to After Life.....but his stand up had got better from his first up until that last one which was a bit weak.....but then that was most streamed show on Netflix, and like After Life it's total creative control for him and people watch it in their droves so can see why it works for him. I'll watch it on Netflix, but mostly to see if it has improved and if he has managed to craft it better as a narrative

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 10:41 - Nov 16 with 6335 viewsSWGF

A shame. Seen him there before, but couldn't get tickets this time round.

To think, some people paid >£200 for a seat.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 10:44 - Nov 16 with 6317 viewsitfcjoe

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 10:41 - Nov 16 by SWGF

A shame. Seen him there before, but couldn't get tickets this time round.

To think, some people paid >£200 for a seat.

Sometimes his shows feel unfinished, and as though he's ad libbing a routine but then you see it on the DVD release, or later in the tour and it's exactly the same and that is just part of the act.

Last night's just felt really unfinished and like a work in progress gig - which even at £35 a ticket isn't right if it isn't billed as that

You know you aren't going to get the main event in Ipswich on a Tuesday night in 2nd show of the tour, but it's always been much better than that was

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 10:56 - Nov 16 with 6248 viewschicoazul

Ricky Gervais is a terrible person. He is also chronically unfunny repetitive and boring.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 10:58 - Nov 16 with 6231 viewsFixed_It

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 10:56 - Nov 16 by chicoazul

Ricky Gervais is a terrible person. He is also chronically unfunny repetitive and boring.

He's not as edgy as you, clearly.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 11:07 - Nov 16 with 6165 viewsITFC_Forever

Ricky Gervais in being unfunny shocker.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 11:10 - Nov 16 with 6156 viewsJakeITFC

I’ve been to see him each of his previous times in Ipswich but I watched five minutes of his latest one on Netflix and couldn’t stand it. He’s fallen into the trap of thinking that rabbiting on about being woke and people being offended is a good routine but it’s just really not funny at all, aside from making him look like a twaat.
Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 11:14 - Nov 16 with 6119 viewsitfcjoe

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 11:10 - Nov 16 by JakeITFC

I’ve been to see him each of his previous times in Ipswich but I watched five minutes of his latest one on Netflix and couldn’t stand it. He’s fallen into the trap of thinking that rabbiting on about being woke and people being offended is a good routine but it’s just really not funny at all, aside from making him look like a twaat.

Glad to hear someone say it is the act that has changed more than me.....it was just such low hanging fruit and had a look on Twitter on a 'Ricky Gervais Ipswich' search and it's all just "saying it how it is", "so offensive and brilliant" as though just saying offensive things is actually difficult to do.

There must have been, quite literally, 5-6 gags which end up with him standing there pretending to w*nk himself of, or w*nk someone else of......real lowest common denominator stuff and what you'd expect from an act on a £15 comedy night where you see 4-5 acts

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 11:16 - Nov 16 with 6102 viewsLankHenners

Gervais has long thought that complaining about 'being offended' is the pinnacle of comedy and lacks the cutting edge to genuinely make 'shock' comedy work (although in general I think that type of comedy has just become stale, largely due to people like Gervais complaining about 'free speech' and the 'right to offend' all the time like, as you say, it's some revolutionary new point).

Been said to death at this point but despite the different levels of fame, it's been increasingly clear over the years that Stephen Merchant was the one with the comic brain.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Login to get fewer ads

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 11:44 - Nov 16 with 5937 viewsDanTheMan

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 11:10 - Nov 16 by JakeITFC

Let's be honest, it's been coming.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 11:50 - Nov 16 with 5894 viewsitfcjoe

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 11:16 - Nov 16 by LankHenners

Gervais has long thought that complaining about 'being offended' is the pinnacle of comedy and lacks the cutting edge to genuinely make 'shock' comedy work (although in general I think that type of comedy has just become stale, largely due to people like Gervais complaining about 'free speech' and the 'right to offend' all the time like, as you say, it's some revolutionary new point).

Been said to death at this point but despite the different levels of fame, it's been increasingly clear over the years that Stephen Merchant was the one with the comic brain.

I think that might be partly it, his 'offensiveness' feels very forced rather than actually shocking and doesn't ever catch you out.

There were some good set ups in there for where things could have gone but it's like when you are writing an essay and hit your word count so just wrap it up

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 12:52 - Nov 16 with 5690 viewsthorpedo

I was there and I did enjoy it - belly laughed 3-4 times. I agree with you that it was unpolished - but I guess he is doing these smaller gigs in an effort to refine what will be the finished (Netflix) article. He has always been close to the knuckle - but he almost does it in a pantomime way now, whereas it used to be more cleverly done.
I enjoyed the warm-up act as well.

Thorpedo

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 12:56 - Nov 16 with 5646 viewsitfcjoe

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 12:52 - Nov 16 by thorpedo

I was there and I did enjoy it - belly laughed 3-4 times. I agree with you that it was unpolished - but I guess he is doing these smaller gigs in an effort to refine what will be the finished (Netflix) article. He has always been close to the knuckle - but he almost does it in a pantomime way now, whereas it used to be more cleverly done.

I thought the warm up act was very good, very dry but did well in what is a hard gig - be interested to see how polished it ends up because there was a few gigs billed as 'warm up' gigs a few weeks back but this was supposed to be the proper show now.....with a price point to match that.

I think maybe I just prefer clever work getting close to the knuckle, as think anyone can do the pantomime stuff

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 13:03 - Nov 16 with 5594 viewstractordownsouth

I haven’t seen his stand up live but I’ve never found it very funny, and I say that as someone who loves the office and afterlife.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 13:04 - Nov 16 with 5564 viewshoppy

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 12:52 - Nov 16 by thorpedo

Who was the warm up?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 13:13 - Nov 16 with 5504 viewshype313

Was genuinely disappointed in not getting tickets, but kind of feel vindicated now, shame it wasn't what was hoped, sounded like it was his pre season of gigs to make way for the curtain raiser in a few months time, which is fine if it was priced right, but sounds like you got short changed.

Got tickets for Frankie Boyle next April, hopefully that will be the final cut.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 13:22 - Nov 16 with 5441 viewsJohnWarksTash

I have seen him at The Regent in the past and to be frank he isn't a stand up. He's an actor who puts on one man shows. He cannot handle hecklers, won't go off the cuff and has no audience interaction to riff on and that puts me off.

He's a funny fella when he's being interviewed, but his 'stand up' always seems very scripted. In comparison to Stephen Merchant's stand up he's just not worth the money.

In summary....I'm not keen!
Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 13:26 - Nov 16 with 5422 viewstextbackup

I’m going tonight. No doubt I’ll laugh at most of it.

He’s right on some aspects too, the guitar lessons joke for example, why have an opinion if you aren’t interested.

Case in point - I posted on here when in the queue to buy tickets, atleast 3/4 posts came back saying ‘he’s sht’ - I didn’t ask…

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 13:42 - Nov 16 with 5316 viewsLuk38644

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 13:26 - Nov 16 by textbackup

He’s right on some aspects too, the guitar lessons joke for example, why have an opinion if you aren’t interested.

Case in point - I posted on here when in the queue to buy tickets, atleast 3/4 posts came back saying ‘he’s sht’ - I didn’t ask…

Agree completely mate, I'm going tonight too and really looking forward to it - he's not everyone's cup of tea but always been a big fan of his stuff. Comedy is subjective, so some people will think he's sh*t and not worth it, others will love it.
Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 14:01 - Nov 16 with 5254 viewsthorpedo

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 13:04 - Nov 16 by hoppy

Who was the warm up?

Matt Bragg. I hadn't heard of him before, but he was decent.

Thorpedo

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 14:13 - Nov 16 with 5160 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

I loved the Office, Extras was good as well.

But his stand up and Afterlife is genuinely appalling. All of his jokes are the same. There are only so many times you can say you aren't religious before it becomes boring.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 14:24 - Nov 16 with 5122 viewsDarth_Koont

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 14:13 - Nov 16 by TRUE_BLUE123

I loved the Office, Extras was good as well.

But his stand up and Afterlife is genuinely appalling. All of his jokes are the same. There are only so many times you can say you aren't religious before it becomes boring.

That pretty much sums up my view too.

Dipping into transphobia hasn't been a good look in recent times either.

Pronouns: He/Him

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 14:28 - Nov 16 with 5095 viewsMalcolmMeatballHead

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 10:56 - Nov 16 by chicoazul

He is against animal cruelty and always seems to be pro equality so he gets a big thumbs up from me. Imagine everyone in the stratosphere had his etiquette regarding animal welfare?! I'm sure we can agree that would make our planet MORE desirable
Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 14:46 - Nov 16 with 5066 viewsitfcjoe

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 13:26 - Nov 16 by textbackup

I think the problem was there was some decent bits in it, like the guitar joke bit in previous shows, but nothing developed into anything genuinely funny opposed to just going for the cheap easy gag at the end of it

I'll see what you think tomorrow, obviously I laughed at a load of it - but generally come out of really good comedy shows where my cheeks are aching from laughing so much, or I come away thinking how brilliantly they knitted some really clever and funny stuff together to make me think about things but was neither for me last night

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 16:16 - Nov 16 with 4927 viewstextbackup

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 14:24 - Nov 16 by Darth_Koont

That pretty much sums up my view too.

Dipping into transphobia hasn't been a good look in recent times either.

Really? I think he pretty much nails what a large majority think about it

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 16:44 - Nov 16 with 4814 viewsJ2BLUE

Never found him particularly funny but his performance in Derek made me a fan.

He absolutely nailed it.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024