Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** 10:21 - Nov 16 with 13426 viewsitfcjoe

Did anyone go? And what did you think of it?

Personally found it pretty disappointing, I've really liked his early stand ups but found this one so weak.

Not sure whether it was because an early show and hasn't put it all together properly as yet - but it felt so poorly crafted and just generally really weak.

Felt like premise of show was to talk a bit about being woke, try and make a really obvious joke about something where you could see punchline a mile off, or just say something of shock jock type to say - and then the attempt to knit it together at the end was just to say "Free speech is being able to make offensive jokes, and laughing at them doesn't make you a bad person" like most people would agree with anyway but as though it was some massive epiphany

Some of the jokes were clever, and felt like this could be going somewhere good - but then too often ended up with a joke that wouldn't be out of place at a Jim Davidson show but pretending it was edgy rather than just lazy and easy

A real shame, used to be such a big fan but feel each show he's done has got progressively worse since The Office to After Life.....but his stand up had got better from his first up until that last one which was a bit weak.....but then that was most streamed show on Netflix, and like After Life it's total creative control for him and people watch it in their droves so can see why it works for him. I'll watch it on Netflix, but mostly to see if it has improved and if he has managed to craft it better as a narrative

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

If the majority think it…. on 17:13 - Nov 16 with 2900 viewsBloots

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 16:16 - Nov 16 by textbackup

Really? I think he pretty much nails what a large majority think about it

….it won’t be popular on here.

Get with the programme!!

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and tremendously exquisite.

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 17:17 - Nov 16 with 2885 viewstextbackup

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 14:46 - Nov 16 by itfcjoe

I think the problem was there was some decent bits in it, like the guitar joke bit in previous shows, but nothing developed into anything genuinely funny opposed to just going for the cheap easy gag at the end of it

I'll see what you think tomorrow, obviously I laughed at a load of it - but generally come out of really good comedy shows where my cheeks are aching from laughing so much, or I come away thinking how brilliantly they knitted some really clever and funny stuff together to make me think about things but was neither for me last night

Flanagan left me in that state, laughing from the venue back to the hotel, he was incredible

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 17:28 - Nov 16 with 2845 viewshoppy

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 14:01 - Nov 16 by thorpedo

Matt Bragg. I hadn't heard of him before, but he was decent.

Will look him up. Cheers

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 17:33 - Nov 16 with 2843 viewsiamatractorboy

He's a clever bloke and I find his discussions around religion very interesting, his best stuff along with The Office. His stand up, especially the "oh I only punch down, I'm not making fun of who you think I am" has got very lazy recently though and comes over as very cynical to me as he's clearly appealing to the lowest common denominater with a lot of it.
Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 17:48 - Nov 16 with 2818 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 11:10 - Nov 16 by JakeITFC

I’ve been to see him each of his previous times in Ipswich but I watched five minutes of his latest one on Netflix and couldn’t stand it. He’s fallen into the trap of thinking that rabbiting on about being woke and people being offended is a good routine but it’s just really not funny at all, aside from making him look like a twaat.

"making him look like a twaat" - he was ever thus

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 17:50 - Nov 16 with 2816 viewsunbelievablue

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 14:13 - Nov 16 by TRUE_BLUE123

I loved the Office, Extras was good as well.

But his stand up and Afterlife is genuinely appalling. All of his jokes are the same. There are only so many times you can say you aren't religious before it becomes boring.

His jokes were funniest on XFM way back. Regurgitated way too many times now.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

If the majority think it…. on 17:57 - Nov 16 with 2789 viewsEwan_Oozami

If the majority think it…. on 17:13 - Nov 16 by Bloots

….it won’t be popular on here.

Get with the programme!!

Not just a majority, but a "large" majority.....

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

If the majority think it…. on 18:36 - Nov 16 with 2761 viewstextbackup

If the majority think it…. on 17:57 - Nov 16 by Ewan_Oozami

Not just a majority, but a "large" majority.....

I started writing ‘large number of people’ then for sone reason switched to majority… see the error I have made.
Thanks

Login to get fewer ads

If the majority think it…. on 19:12 - Nov 16 with 2730 viewsitfcjoe

If the majority think it…. on 18:36 - Nov 16 by textbackup

I started writing ‘large number of people’ then for sone reason switched to majority… see the error I have made.
Thanks

A large majority is fine to say anyway, everyone knows what it means because there is a difference between 51% and 99% that can easily be illustrated

I might do a list.... on 19:15 - Nov 16 with 2721 viewsBloots

Thanks

...of "popular things" that the cool kids (middle aged desperados) on here dislike.

It would be a long list.

I might do a list.... on 20:12 - Nov 16 with 2638 viewsWeWereZombies

I might do a list.... on 19:15 - Nov 16 by Bloots

...of "popular things" that the cool kids (middle aged desperados) on here dislike.

It would be a long list.

I'll give you a hand to get it started:

1. Forum posts by Bloots...

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Correct, incredibly popular. Cheers. (n/t) on 20:15 - Nov 16 with 2627 viewsBloots

I might do a list.... on 20:12 - Nov 16 by WeWereZombies

I'll give you a hand to get it started:

1. Forum posts by Bloots...

If the majority think it…. on 20:51 - Nov 16 with 2583 viewsEwan_Oozami

Thanks

No probs! But I did forget to ask what is that Gervais nails about the trans issue that a large majority would agree with?

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 21:37 - Nov 16 with 2557 viewsMelford

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 17:50 - Nov 16 by unbelievablue

His jokes were funniest on XFM way back. Regurgitated way too many times now.

Those XFM shows were ***king brilliant, I remember burning them all onto CD and playing them at work. The chemistry between Ricky, Karl and Steve on those were brilliant

This a pretty decent tune in a poor man's Simple Minds kind of way, acceptable for the 80s

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 22:18 - Nov 16 with 2517 viewstextbackup

I liked it, laughed plenty.

Worth my £35

If the majority think it…. on 22:22 - Nov 16 with 2511 viewstextbackup

If the majority think it…. on 20:51 - Nov 16 by Ewan_Oozami

No probs! But I did forget to ask what is that Gervais nails about the trans issue that a large majority would agree with?

The general piss taking really, don’t think it was just me laughing/clapping at those sections of the act.

Maybe we were all just horrible with zero empathy, I can accept that

I might do a list.... on 22:22 - Nov 16 with 2508 viewsDubtractor

I might do a list.... on 19:15 - Nov 16 by Bloots

It would be a long list.

Are you picking on me again?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

You're stratospherically popular.... on 22:25 - Nov 16 with 2507 viewsBloots

I might do a list.... on 22:22 - Nov 16 by Dubtractor

Are you picking on me again?

....and quite rightly so.

Legend, innit.

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 23:20 - Nov 16 with 2435 viewsDarth_Koont

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 16:16 - Nov 16 by textbackup

Really? I think he pretty much nails what a large majority think about it

The majority is wrong. Like it was about racism, homophobia, misogyny and so on.

Happens all the time — that’s why minorities have to fight for their rights and need defending until the majority gets educated or dies out.

Pronouns: He/Him

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 06:07 - Nov 17 with 2330 viewstextbackup

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 23:20 - Nov 16 by Darth_Koont

The majority is wrong. Like it was about racism, homophobia, misogyny and so on.

Happens all the time — that’s why minorities have to fight for their rights and need defending until the majority gets educated or dies out.

that’s your opinion, fair play

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 06:13 - Nov 17 with 2330 viewsDarth_Koont

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 06:07 - Nov 17 by textbackup

that’s your opinion, fair play

But it’s not fair play, is it? Or an opinion because that’s historically how the majority has acted even over simple stuff like gay marriage until very recently.

Re: transphobia, the UK has been singled out for its pretty much world-leading trans hate. Putting us in the same category as Russia, Hungary and Poland when it comes to LGBT rights as a whole.

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2021/09/24/uk-council-europe-report-lgbt-hate-speech/

So we’re in a pretty crappy minority as far as Europe is concerned.
[Post edited 17 Nov 2022 6:16]

Pronouns: He/Him

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 08:41 - Nov 17 with 2241 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 14:24 - Nov 16 by Darth_Koont

That pretty much sums up my view too.

Dipping into transphobia hasn't been a good look in recent times either.

Agreed.

I've never really understood his obsession tbh. Seems like he did one joke, got a laugh and now he doesn't have any other material. unnecessary imo

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 09:08 - Nov 17 with 2187 viewsLuk38644

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 22:18 - Nov 16 by textbackup

I liked it, laughed plenty.

Worth my £35

Agreed, top night, proper belly laughed through it and well worth my £35.
Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 09:15 - Nov 17 with 2158 viewsitfcjoe

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 08:41 - Nov 17 by TRUE_BLUE123

Agreed.

I've never really understood his obsession tbh. Seems like he did one joke, got a laugh and now he doesn't have any other material. unnecessary imo

There was barely anything in the show about it, a couple of throwaway lines for an easy laugh.

EDIT - And I think there were some good bits touched on, like people who are straight, who have always been straight, who have never had a relationship with the same sex who now use the term 'queer' to describe themselves despite being in a straight section relationship.

What's so difficult about being Straight, Gay or Bi? Similar to gender fluidity - pick a side and get on with life
[Post edited 17 Nov 2022 9:24]

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 09:50 - Nov 17 with 2110 viewsDanTheMan

Ricky Gervais at Regent -**SPOILERS FOR THOSE GOING TONIGHT** on 09:15 - Nov 17 by itfcjoe

There was barely anything in the show about it, a couple of throwaway lines for an easy laugh.

EDIT - And I think there were some good bits touched on, like people who are straight, who have always been straight, who have never had a relationship with the same sex who now use the term 'queer' to describe themselves despite being in a straight section relationship.

What's so difficult about being Straight, Gay or Bi? Similar to gender fluidity - pick a side and get on with life
[Post edited 17 Nov 2022 9:24]

At the same time, why should you or anyone else care how people want to label themselves?

Live and let live.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024