Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What is everyone feeling about the Championship contenders at the moment? 12:01 - Oct 24 with 8121 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

For promotion? I still think Leeds United will be a force, and part of me feels Southampton will really get their act together at some point and also be challenging. Leicester City should win the league in my view. Sunderland are up there again, so I think they will make the top 5.

As for the others in the mix currently I am not sure Birmingham will do any better with Rooney at the helm and I don't know if Preston will maintain themselves going forward, I think they may be a bit like Reading last season where they started strong if I recall and ended up dropping. Bristol City could also make the Playoffs.

I would say Leicester and Leeds are the two that are going up for me. As for our position, I thought we would stay up this season, but I didn't expect this position or us to be in the mix. Although it is maybe not that exciting or ambitious, if we finished in the top 10 I would have no complaints. As for promotion, it would be a big ask at the first time of trying but not impossible, even if we dropped down into the Playoff spaces, given our resilience and work rate these days we would be very hard to beat.

As for the others I am surprised Middlesborough aren't doing better, along with Watford and West Brom. Norwich, on paper, should be doing better than they are also.

What is everyone feeling about the Championship contenders at the moment? on 12:05 - Oct 24 with 4842 viewsFrimleyBlue

For me it depends on what we do in Jan.

If we manage to cover the inevitable gaps in midfield then I think we will be OK and continue our efforts in challenging for the top 2 places.

But also alot depends on how we come out of December. Without a doubt on paper, the hardest month of the season... come out of that still in and around top 2 then we have a good opportunity.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

What is everyone feeling about the Championship contenders at the moment? on 12:32 - Oct 24 with 4749 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Leicester look nailed for top 2. The depth they have is obscene. As is the case with Leeds and their options, and they are led by a manager who has won this league twice before.

That would be my guess for top 2.

Play off contenders.
Ipswich- We have started like a train, got ourselves a nice gap already just need to keep at it. Squad seems to still be improving as well. With January to come should we need it.
Boro-Won 5 on the spin, Carrick showed last season he is a talented coach at this level. They have key players hitting form.
Norwich (unfortunately)- They haven't been great so far, but they are still fortunate to have some stand out players in the division. Sara particularly looks destined for the Prem hopefully in January. They still have Barnes and Sargent to come back as well
Sunderland- As long as they keep Jack Clarke
Southampton- They have too good a squad to miss out.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2023 12:33]

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

What is everyone feeling about the Championship contenders at the moment? on 12:33 - Oct 24 with 4741 viewsVegtablue

Would it not excite you if Ipswich finished 10th after this start? I have an inkling it would.

Middlesbrough made a shock start but have won their last five, so they've done as well as it's possible to do since mid-September. Your surprise looks terribly ill-informed in this context. Preston are certs to drop out and I don't see Bristol City staying the course.
What is everyone feeling about the Championship contenders at the moment? on 12:44 - Oct 24 with 4658 viewsSwansea_Blue

'boro are doing very well at the moment. Whatever their problem at the start was, they seem to be over it. They're ahead of us in the form table (last 6).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

What is everyone feeling about the Championship contenders at the moment? on 12:59 - Oct 24 with 4579 viewsFtnfwest

Still at a stage where the table and the contenders are of no real bother to me. Just enjoying it game by game and finally being in a position of looking forward to matches rather than 15-20 years of largely dreading them. If we go up great, if we don't we don't. I'd have taken top half plus beating Nodge twice at the start of the season and probably still would.
What is everyone feeling about the Championship contenders at the moment? on 13:34 - Oct 24 with 4381 viewsVegtablue

A quick maths exercise for any genuine posters who believe top 10 remains a healthy target:

Last season Cardiff finished 21st with 49 points. They would have been relegated if not for Reading's points deduction. 49 points over 46 games equates to 1.065 points per game. If we replicate that relegation form over our remaining 35 games, we will finish with 65 points, which is the average total required for 10th place. Survival next season would be in serious doubt if we finish 10th from here. We would need to be one of the worst performing sides over three-quarters of the season to do it.
What is everyone feeling about the Championship contenders at the moment? on 13:44 - Oct 24 with 4326 viewsChurchman

What is everyone feeling about the Championship contenders at the moment? on 13:34 - Oct 24 by Vegtablue

A quick maths exercise for any genuine posters who believe top 10 remains a healthy target:

Last season Cardiff finished 21st with 49 points. They would have been relegated if not for Reading's points deduction. 49 points over 46 games equates to 1.065 points per game. If we replicate that relegation form over our remaining 35 games, we will finish with 65 points, which is the average total required for 10th place. Survival next season would be in serious doubt if we finish 10th from here. We would need to be one of the worst performing sides over three-quarters of the season to do it.

I’ll still raise a glass when we get over the 50 point mark. Comforting stats though.
What is everyone feeling about the Championship contenders at the moment? on 13:47 - Oct 24 with 4305 viewsGuthrum

Play-off contenders are likely to be Leeds, Sunderland, Boro and West Brom. Bristol and Cardiff may get in to the mix, Swansea probably have too much to do. Preston are struggling, Southampton too flakey. Not convinced Rooney has the brilliance to keep Brum in the running.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

What is everyone feeling about the Championship contenders at the moment? on 13:51 - Oct 24 with 4263 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

What is everyone feeling about the Championship contenders at the moment? on 12:33 - Oct 24 by Vegtablue

Would it not excite you if Ipswich finished 10th after this start? I have an inkling it would.

Middlesbrough made a shock start but have won their last five, so they've done as well as it's possible to do since mid-September. Your surprise looks terribly ill-informed in this context. Preston are certs to drop out and I don't see Bristol City staying the course.

I would be happy with this season regardless now, we are playing the best football we have at this level ever, but I am realistic in that there is some good teams in this league and squads to contend with so if we do not go up I will not be too upset.
What is everyone feeling about the Championship contenders at the moment? on 13:53 - Oct 24 with 4254 viewsBlueNomad

Happy with 10th after this start??

I also chuckle at those who say we are underestimated etc; by blinkered opposition fans maybe but other professional clubs will know all about us. Does anyone really think their players turn up a couple of hours before a game thinking “they have only just been promoted, this is going to be easy?” Ridiculous.
What is everyone feeling about the Championship contenders at the moment? on 13:54 - Oct 24 with 4234 viewsTheBoyBlue

Whatever the stats say, I still don't feel like promotion candidates. It still just feels like a phenomenal start. I expect Leicester are nailed on for top and I would expect Leeds and Middlesbrough to be relentless in pursuit and Southampton to come good, so it will be very hard to stay where we are. But I am enjoying it whilst it lasts!

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

What is everyone feeling about the Championship contenders at the moment? on 13:54 - Oct 24 with 4236 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

What is everyone feeling about the Championship contenders at the moment? on 13:53 - Oct 24 by BlueNomad

Happy with 10th after this start??

I also chuckle at those who say we are underestimated etc; by blinkered opposition fans maybe but other professional clubs will know all about us. Does anyone really think their players turn up a couple of hours before a game thinking “they have only just been promoted, this is going to be easy?” Ridiculous.

I wasn't expecting us to start this strongly, but if we fell off could we honestly say we didn't have a good season?
What is everyone feeling about the Championship contenders at the moment? on 14:03 - Oct 24 with 4141 viewspositivity

What is everyone feeling about the Championship contenders at the moment? on 13:54 - Oct 24 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

I wasn't expecting us to start this strongly, but if we fell off could we honestly say we didn't have a good season?

for us to regress to norwich levels would mean finishing on 65 points which is roughly a point a game.

less than a 1/4 of the season in promotion form, followed by the rest in relegation form, wouldn't be a good season for me

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

What is everyone feeling about the Championship contenders at the moment? on 14:40 - Oct 24 with 4014 viewsBigCommon

Leicester should fly straight with their quality and depth....
I'd expect to see Leeds, Boro', Southampton and Sunderland in the mix up for 2nd to 6th..
I think we can make the play offs with our current squad, dependent on injuries.
But feel that we might need to add 1 or 2 in January, to cover International call ups/injuries, if we are to stay in touch with auto's..
Last seasons end of season form, last 15 games or so, gives me hope that we are well equipped. mentally and preparation wise to sustain some kind of form, throughout the season. Can see us pushing until the last ball us kicked. Which bodes well for an exciting end of season..Imo.
What is everyone feeling about the Championship contenders at the moment? on 14:48 - Oct 24 with 3973 viewsNthQldITFC

What is everyone feeling about the Championship contenders at the moment? on 13:51 - Oct 24 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

I would be happy with this season regardless now, we are playing the best football we have at this level ever, but I am realistic in that there is some good teams in this league and squads to contend with so if we do not go up I will not be too upset.

In many ways I find your perseverance quite admirable.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

What is everyone feeling about the Championship contenders at the moment? on 14:51 - Oct 24 with 3956 viewsibbleobble

What is everyone feeling about the Championship contenders at the moment? on 14:40 - Oct 24 by BigCommon

Leicester should fly straight with their quality and depth....
I'd expect to see Leeds, Boro', Southampton and Sunderland in the mix up for 2nd to 6th..
I think we can make the play offs with our current squad, dependent on injuries.
But feel that we might need to add 1 or 2 in January, to cover International call ups/injuries, if we are to stay in touch with auto's..
Last seasons end of season form, last 15 games or so, gives me hope that we are well equipped. mentally and preparation wise to sustain some kind of form, throughout the season. Can see us pushing until the last ball us kicked. Which bodes well for an exciting end of season..Imo.

I think that’s the top 6 with Southampton and Sunderland bouncing around a bit on their way to the run in. Don’t really see many others really threatening. Norwich, Watford and Blackburn will push for 6th but I imagine a gap will grow between the top 4 and below sooner rather than later. If we can hold our nerve in December, we’ll be knocking on the door for automatics.
What is everyone feeling about the Championship contenders at the moment? on 15:11 - Oct 24 with 3908 viewstractorboy1978

What is everyone feeling about the Championship contenders at the moment? on 13:54 - Oct 24 by TheBoyBlue

Whatever the stats say, I still don't feel like promotion candidates. It still just feels like a phenomenal start. I expect Leicester are nailed on for top and I would expect Leeds and Middlesbrough to be relentless in pursuit and Southampton to come good, so it will be very hard to stay where we are. But I am enjoying it whilst it lasts!

I am not sure what more we would have to do to convince you we are the real deal? We've won 22 of our last 26 games. Yes 15 of those were in L1, but we were blowing teams away. We've been playing high end Championship football for a sustained period of time. With the buffer we have, I think it is highly improbable we drop off to the extent we are not genuine promotion candidates, we are just too well coached and score too many goals. I only see us getting better as a team as the season goes on.

I've seen a few people mention Boro. We are 11 points clear of them with a game in hand. We are 8 clear of Southampton with a game in hand. We are not going to be easy to overtake from our current position.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2023 15:31]
What is everyone feeling about the Championship contenders at the moment? on 15:23 - Oct 24 with 3868 viewswkj

There is no reason we can't keep the pace as we're not here by luck or good fortune. You seem to be hedging your bets a little. Injury is about the only variable that will see us fall out of the top 2 at this stage. If we are in the hunt for top 2 when the transfer window opens in January - it is a safe bet that the owners will be ready to invest in that momentum as they did last January.

Have faith, we are a team to beat as we are here on merit not good fortune.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

What is everyone feeling about the Championship contenders at the moment? on 15:28 - Oct 24 with 3844 viewswkj

What is everyone feeling about the Championship contenders at the moment? on 15:11 - Oct 24 by tractorboy1978

I am not sure what more we would have to do to convince you we are the real deal? We've won 22 of our last 26 games. Yes 15 of those were in L1, but we were blowing teams away. We've been playing high end Championship football for a sustained period of time. With the buffer we have, I think it is highly improbable we drop off to the extent we are not genuine promotion candidates, we are just too well coached and score too many goals. I only see us getting better as a team as the season goes on.

I've seen a few people mention Boro. We are 11 points clear of them with a game in hand. We are 8 clear of Southampton with a game in hand. We are not going to be easy to overtake from our current position.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2023 15:31]

Not to mention that a big number of the teams we've got results against are in the top half of the table.

What is everyone feeling about the Championship contenders at the moment? on 16:36 - Oct 24 with 3705 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

What is everyone feeling about the Championship contenders at the moment? on 14:48 - Oct 24 by NthQldITFC

In many ways I find your perseverance quite admirable.

What despite the relentless bullying I still continue to post football subjects? Imagine in any walk of life, 9 or 10 people constantly jumping on you for anything you say, accusing you of being something you are not just for fun, jumping on every spelling mistake or error, accusing me of using race to get attention. How would you feel if you were treated like I have been? Honest question. I feel quite depressed about it.
What is everyone feeling about the Championship contenders at the moment? on 16:49 - Oct 24 with 3643 viewsPhilTWTD

I don't think anyone's going to disagree that Leeds and Southampton are the main ones for us to watch out for. Leeds are starting to look a little ominous if we don't maintain our current form, which it might be asking too much to do given it's so extraordinary.

I think at the beginning of the season no one would have quibbled with 10th but given the start, I think anything outside the play-offs would now look like failure, even if it would be a decent enough showing first season back in the Championship.
The top six will be.... on 17:01 - Oct 24 with 3576 viewsunstableblue

... in my view and in no particular order

Leicester, Leeds, Saints, Ipswich, Boro, Sunderland

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

What is everyone feeling about the Championship contenders at the moment? on 17:02 - Oct 24 with 3572 viewswkj

What is everyone feeling about the Championship contenders at the moment? on 16:49 - Oct 24 by PhilTWTD

I don't think anyone's going to disagree that Leeds and Southampton are the main ones for us to watch out for. Leeds are starting to look a little ominous if we don't maintain our current form, which it might be asking too much to do given it's so extraordinary.

I think at the beginning of the season no one would have quibbled with 10th but given the start, I think anything outside the play-offs would now look like failure, even if it would be a decent enough showing first season back in the Championship.

Balls. You need to take a page out of Murph's book and maintain we'll finish 2nd

What is everyone feeling about the Championship contenders at the moment? on 17:05 - Oct 24 with 3541 viewsFrimleyBlue

What is everyone feeling about the Championship contenders at the moment? on 16:49 - Oct 24 by PhilTWTD

It's actually quite handy for us.

If we continue.. we go up
If we don't. We stay down and KM isn't as attractive to higher clubs for another season.

Win win.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

What is everyone feeling about the Championship contenders at the moment? on 17:12 - Oct 24 with 3520 viewswkj

What is everyone feeling about the Championship contenders at the moment? on 17:05 - Oct 24 by FrimleyBlue

It's actually quite handy for us.

If we continue.. we go up
If we don't. We stay down and KM isn't as attractive to higher clubs for another season.

Win win.

KM will be attractive to the bigger clubs. His appeal goes beyond results and it is clear that wherever we finish, he'll be on many club's wishlist, perhaps even top 6 EPL.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024