Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If you were Gamechanger 09:11 - Feb 5 with 5989 viewsmuccletonjoe

Spent a few million quid , provided the manager with one of the strongest squads in the league, and still failed to make top 6 , what would YOU do ?
If you were Gamechanger on 09:18 - Feb 5 with 3621 viewsGuthrum

Firstly, we haven't failed to make the top six.

Secondly, I'd look at what went wrong, analyse what it would take to correct that and, if within reason, do what's necessary to succeed next season. These are experienced sports investors, they should know how things can go and that you can't guarantee to get promoted in one shot. Besides, it's a pension fund putting up the money, not a hedge fund - longer term thinking is built in.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

If you were Gamechanger on 09:20 - Feb 5 with 3601 viewsEpiphone

Have a bit more patience than some of the snowflakes on here!
If you were Gamechanger on 09:21 - Feb 5 with 3573 viewsElephantintheRoom

If you remember that is exactly what happened last season

~As I recall they elected to double down and spend yet more borrowed money on yet more players. It wasn’t working quite to their satisfaction in December so they elected to thrown even more borrowed money at the problem.

To be fair it looks impossible to avoid being in the top six this time around - though I am not sure that is the targe

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

If you were Gamechanger on 09:22 - Feb 5 with 3587 viewsTrumptonBlue

I think I wouldn’t have appointed a rookie manager in the first place if success in his first season was the be all and end all.
If you were Gamechanger on 09:27 - Feb 5 with 3538 viewsKeno

Go out for a curry, a few beers and ignore what’s posted online
[Post edited 5 Feb 2023 9:54]

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

If you were Gamechanger on 09:27 - Feb 5 with 3539 viewsmuccletonjoe

If you were Gamechanger on 09:22 - Feb 5 by TrumptonBlue

I think I wouldn’t have appointed a rookie manager in the first place if success in his first season was the be all and end all.

Like the experienced ones set the league alight ?
If you were Gamechanger on 09:28 - Feb 5 with 3515 viewsMach_foreignBlue

If you were Gamechanger on 09:27 - Feb 5 by muccletonjoe

Yes, see Derby and Paul Warne.
If you were Gamechanger on 09:30 - Feb 5 with 3491 viewsmuccletonjoe

If you were Gamechanger on 09:28 - Feb 5 by Mach_foreignBlue

Yes, see Derby and Paul Warne.

I meant the experienced managers WE had prior to McKenna
Login to get fewer ads

If you were Gamechanger on 09:37 - Feb 5 with 3436 viewsTrumptonBlue

If you were Gamechanger on 09:27 - Feb 5 by muccletonjoe

My point is that you wouldn’t gamble on a first-time manager if you demanded instant success. That doesn’t mean an experienced manager guarantees success, as you point out, but the outcome with an untried manager is obviously a complete unknown. Gamechanger’s appointment of McKenna suggests to me that they are looking longer term, investing in a promising coach who can develop with the club. I think that’s the right approach and I hope they stick with it.
If you were Gamechanger on 09:52 - Feb 5 with 3345 viewsMach_foreignBlue

If you were Gamechanger on 09:30 - Feb 5 by muccletonjoe

I meant the experienced managers WE had prior to McKenna

McKenna at the moment isn't doing a better job than any of them.
If you were Gamechanger on 10:01 - Feb 5 with 3260 viewsFrimleyBlue

If you were Gamechanger on 09:37 - Feb 5 by TrumptonBlue

My point is that you wouldn’t gamble on a first-time manager if you demanded instant success. That doesn’t mean an experienced manager guarantees success, as you point out, but the outcome with an untried manager is obviously a complete unknown. Gamechanger’s appointment of McKenna suggests to me that they are looking longer term, investing in a promising coach who can develop with the club. I think that’s the right approach and I hope they stick with it.

Is KM a gamechanger appointment though? he's an Ashton one for sure, but Gamechanger? can't see it being their decision, that's what they hire a CEO for.

There may be a long term plan, but that plan relies heavily on getting out of league 1 asap.

O'leary said when he joined, promotion if not this season, then next. We've failed to do that already.

If we fail again this season, it's another season behind.

Mark Steed " plenty of people come to me for money, it's time to stop seeing all the loses and start seeing results.

another season of non promotion isn't a result.

Our losses continue to grow weekly, and we're paying out championship wages in league 1.

Not only does KM have a job to do, so does Ashton, if we don't go up again, then they will start asking questions of Ashton

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

If you were Gamechanger on 10:01 - Feb 5 with 3268 viewsOldFart71

Firstly you are surmising we won't get top six. If we were not to get top six which I doubt is likely my only concerns would be what happens to the players we have paid a lot of money for. Along with that players like Morsy may decide they need to play in a higher league whilst they are still young enough. It is my belief that the team lacks probably three players. A Cole Skuse in midfield, a really decent centre back and a nippy Marcus Stewart, David Johnson type player upfront. But then I am not getting thousands a year to decide that. McKenna is a rooky manager to some extent how he performs with a League One side will decide his destiny. How he handles this situation which in all honesty has dragged on for many weeks. He did bring in four new players, who all need time to bed in, which unfortunately we don't have.
If you were Gamechanger on 10:21 - Feb 5 with 3177 viewsDJR

If you were Gamechanger on 10:01 - Feb 5 by OldFart71

Firstly you are surmising we won't get top six. If we were not to get top six which I doubt is likely my only concerns would be what happens to the players we have paid a lot of money for. Along with that players like Morsy may decide they need to play in a higher league whilst they are still young enough. It is my belief that the team lacks probably three players. A Cole Skuse in midfield, a really decent centre back and a nippy Marcus Stewart, David Johnson type player upfront. But then I am not getting thousands a year to decide that. McKenna is a rooky manager to some extent how he performs with a League One side will decide his destiny. How he handles this situation which in all honesty has dragged on for many weeks. He did bring in four new players, who all need time to bed in, which unfortunately we don't have.

I think my issue is that we don't have what I would regard as enough proper footballers. By that I mean, people who can control the ball first time, find the space and find the pass, and especially the telling pass.

Too many of our players are to my mind a bit too frenetic, which makes our game very hit and miss, in the sense that when it comes off it is great, but when it doesn't it is a bad.

Looking at the Plymouth team, I thought they did have some very good footballers which may well explain why they are doing as well as they are.

Oh for a Barry Bannan!
[Post edited 5 Feb 2023 10:21]
If you were Gamechanger on 10:25 - Feb 5 with 3143 viewsBlueBadger

Very enthused about the state of the club after today by BlueBadger 29 Jan 2023 12:42
McKenna is about the only one of our post-Mick managers not to talk about 'long term building' but ironically, is probably the only one who might actually be doing that. We'd be mad to get rid at this point.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

If you were Gamechanger on 10:31 - Feb 5 with 3113 viewsFrimleyBlue

If you were Gamechanger on 10:25 - Feb 5 by BlueBadger

Very enthused about the state of the club after today by BlueBadger 29 Jan 2023 12:42
McKenna is about the only one of our post-Mick managers not to talk about 'long term building' but ironically, is probably the only one who might actually be doing that. We'd be mad to get rid at this point.

He has however now brought out the PC 'team needs time to gel' excuse.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

If you were Gamechanger on 10:46 - Feb 5 with 3064 viewsKeno

If you were Gamechanger on 10:31 - Feb 5 by FrimleyBlue

He has however now brought out the PC 'team needs time to gel' excuse.

what is it with our players and hair products?

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

If you were Gamechanger on 10:46 - Feb 5 with 3068 viewsblueislander

You honestly think that they are overly concerned at this stage with a third of the season to go? They have seen a huge increase in attendances which shows that their investment is being embraced by their customers. Promotion would be the icing on the cake.
If you were Gamechanger on 10:50 - Feb 5 with 3006 viewsblueislander

If you were Gamechanger on 10:01 - Feb 5 by OldFart71

I would argue that no football team needs a Cole Skuse type, especially, one that plays football the way that Town is playing under McKenna. I didn’t see yesterday’s game , but he has admitted that the performance was unacceptable. I am optimistic that we will get back to our usual level.
If you were Gamechanger on 10:53 - Feb 5 with 2969 viewspointofblue

If you were Gamechanger on 10:21 - Feb 5 by DJR

I think my issue is that we don't have what I would regard as enough proper footballers. By that I mean, people who can control the ball first time, find the space and find the pass, and especially the telling pass.

Too many of our players are to my mind a bit too frenetic, which makes our game very hit and miss, in the sense that when it comes off it is great, but when it doesn't it is a bad.

Looking at the Plymouth team, I thought they did have some very good footballers which may well explain why they are doing as well as they are.

Oh for a Barry Bannan!
[Post edited 5 Feb 2023 10:21]

Thinking about what you said, I think our closest player to that is Woolfenden. That’s an issue considering he’s a centre back.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

If you were Gamechanger on 10:54 - Feb 5 with 2959 viewschicoazul

If you were Gamechanger on 09:22 - Feb 5 by TrumptonBlue

Second season.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

If you were Gamechanger on 10:56 - Feb 5 with 2952 viewspointofblue

If you were Gamechanger on 10:54 - Feb 5 by chicoazul

Second season.

First full season.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

If you were Gamechanger on 10:57 - Feb 5 with 2943 viewschicoazul

If you were Gamechanger on 10:01 - Feb 5 by FrimleyBlue

Is KM a gamechanger appointment though? he's an Ashton one for sure, but Gamechanger? can't see it being their decision, that's what they hire a CEO for.

There may be a long term plan, but that plan relies heavily on getting out of league 1 asap.

O'leary said when he joined, promotion if not this season, then next. We've failed to do that already.

If we fail again this season, it's another season behind.

Mark Steed " plenty of people come to me for money, it's time to stop seeing all the loses and start seeing results.

another season of non promotion isn't a result.

Our losses continue to grow weekly, and we're paying out championship wages in league 1.

Not only does KM have a job to do, so does Ashton, if we don't go up again, then they will start asking questions of Ashton

Ashton presents his choice to the board and the board approve ergo McK is a Gamechanger appointment. Same with the budget etc.
I am given to understand that even if we do flunk it this year McK is totally safe in his job. This is a 6 year promotion-promotion-establish-sell project for Gamechanger and probably more like 10 with the way football finances are going.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

If you were Gamechanger on 10:58 - Feb 5 with 2933 viewschicoazul

If you were Gamechanger on 10:56 - Feb 5 by pointofblue

First full season.

That’s not what Trumpton said.

If you were Gamechanger on 11:03 - Feb 5 with 2870 viewsDJR

If you were Gamechanger on 10:53 - Feb 5 by pointofblue

Thinking about what you said, I think our closest player to that is Woolfenden. That’s an issue considering he’s a centre back.

I think that's right. Aluko comes into that category too.

It's strange really because you would think with someone of McKenna's background, he would favour the more technical players that a club like Plymouth have acquired, and MK Dons had last season.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2023 11:03]
If you were Gamechanger on 11:05 - Feb 5 with 2863 viewsJ2BLUE

I would sack McKenna in that completely imaginary scenario.

Now, can we get back to reality?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024