Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Debenhams 12:35 - Apr 9 with 5492 viewsStokieBlue

Sadly it looks like it's gone, another one of the national chains to meet it's end in the internet age. Will be a shame for Ipswich town centre as well.

Horrible for those losing their jobs but worth noting that Ashley has lost 150m as his shareholding has been wiped out. Not sure many will feel too sorry for him.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/apr/09/debenhams-is-taken-over-by-lend

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Debenhams on 12:46 - Apr 9 with 3952 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I wouldn't bet on Ashley losing all his money.

He'll probably buy it back for £1.

Ipswich, much like most Town Centres needs re-imagining.

There is just too much high street retail space now.

(The internet is of course a major factor.... but so is the Council granting planning for massive out of town retail parks).

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Debenhams on 12:49 - Apr 9 with 3936 viewsBluefish

Debenhams used to be our go to shop for kids clothes but the place has been dying for years. Stock levels are poor and the staffing numbers are abysmal.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Debenhams on 12:54 - Apr 9 with 3916 viewsitfcjoe

Devastating blow for Ipswich town centre, which as everyone is aware is already struggling

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Debenhams on 12:56 - Apr 9 with 3903 viewsitfcjoe

And with regards to Ashley, he's stuck that money into to try and make money out of a distressed asset as he has managed previously......it's like feeling sorry for someone losing a bet

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Debenhams on 12:56 - Apr 9 with 3900 viewsStokieBlue

Debenhams on 12:46 - Apr 9 by Marshalls_Mullet

I wouldn't bet on Ashley losing all his money.

He'll probably buy it back for £1.

Ipswich, much like most Town Centres needs re-imagining.

There is just too much high street retail space now.

(The internet is of course a major factor.... but so is the Council granting planning for massive out of town retail parks).

He's not going to be able to buy it back for a quid - if they wanted to go that route they would have accepted his 150m offer on top of the 150m shares he owned.

It's going to get wound up.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Debenhams on 13:12 - Apr 9 with 3857 viewsDubtractor

Obviously a massive shame for anyone losing their job, but I was in debenhams recently and it's awful, have mo idea who it is aimed at these days.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Debenhams on 13:19 - Apr 9 with 3830 viewsjeera

Debenhams on 13:12 - Apr 9 by Dubtractor

Obviously a massive shame for anyone losing their job, but I was in debenhams recently and it's awful, have mo idea who it is aimed at these days.

The one in Bury seems to be busy and well run.

I do not know how that contrasts with the others but at a stab I would guess there are as many doing ok as there are bad?

Places like Lichfield spring to mind; was a nice store when I was last in there although admittedly that was a while ago now.

Got the hump with their online concern atm though, as bought clothing there in their sale which cannot be exchanged as the label isn't an in-store concession and they have no means to exchange via mail. They will refund happily but I don't want a sodding refund. I want a size up!

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Debenhams on 13:51 - Apr 9 with 3738 viewsITFC_Forever

Debenhams on 12:54 - Apr 9 by itfcjoe

Devastating blow for Ipswich town centre, which as everyone is aware is already struggling

From an Ipswich point of view, Debenhams has a very large presence in the town centre - if that closes, that's a huge hole to fill.

I go in there sometimes for work shirts etc... might be worth popping in now and seeing if there's a fire sale going on in the near future.

P 1125, W 501, D 288, L 336, F 1709, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Login to get fewer ads

Debenhams on 13:58 - Apr 9 with 3710 viewsWhymarkmariner

Debenhams on 13:19 - Apr 9 by jeera

The one in Bury seems to be busy and well run.

I do not know how that contrasts with the others but at a stab I would guess there are as many doing ok as there are bad?

Places like Lichfield spring to mind; was a nice store when I was last in there although admittedly that was a while ago now.

Got the hump with their online concern atm though, as bought clothing there in their sale which cannot be exchanged as the label isn't an in-store concession and they have no means to exchange via mail. They will refund happily but I don't want a sodding refund. I want a size up!

There are several factors not just affecting stores like Debenhams, these include high rates and rent. Also parking in Ipswich costs a stupid amount. Whats the point in going to a store for a bargain and then being charge five or six quid to park and then there's petrol to get to Ipswich on top of that. The Council waste's a couple of million doing the Cornhill area up and in truth it's a bl**dy waste of money. They'd do better if they tried to attract people into the Town by planting trees and having seating areas and making cheap parking available. But hey ho what the f*ck do I know I'm just another pleb.
Debenhams on 14:03 - Apr 9 with 3694 viewsSWGF

Debenhams on 13:51 - Apr 9 by ITFC_Forever

From an Ipswich point of view, Debenhams has a very large presence in the town centre - if that closes, that's a huge hole to fill.

I go in there sometimes for work shirts etc... might be worth popping in now and seeing if there's a fire sale going on in the near future.

Same as Colchester. Huge, three storey store in the centre of town.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Debenhams on 14:05 - Apr 9 with 3683 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Debenhams on 12:56 - Apr 9 by StokieBlue

He's not going to be able to buy it back for a quid - if they wanted to go that route they would have accepted his 150m offer on top of the 150m shares he owned.

It's going to get wound up.

SB

Meh.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Debenhams on 14:06 - Apr 9 with 3680 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Debenhams on 13:58 - Apr 9 by Whymarkmariner

There are several factors not just affecting stores like Debenhams, these include high rates and rent. Also parking in Ipswich costs a stupid amount. Whats the point in going to a store for a bargain and then being charge five or six quid to park and then there's petrol to get to Ipswich on top of that. The Council waste's a couple of million doing the Cornhill area up and in truth it's a bl**dy waste of money. They'd do better if they tried to attract people into the Town by planting trees and having seating areas and making cheap parking available. But hey ho what the f*ck do I know I'm just another pleb.

Agreed.

Debenhams on 14:10 - Apr 9 with 3667 viewsDubtractor

To be fair to the council, they have rebuilt crown st multi storey to provide more reasonably priced parking, and the cornhill development is aimed at making town centre more attractive. I quite like it as it goes, but appreciate it may not be for everyone.

Big department stores are a bit of a relic on these days of internet shopping. Give it 10 or 20 years and town centre will be all coffee shops, restaurants and smaller shops.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Debenhams on 14:12 - Apr 9 with 3653 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Debenhams on 14:10 - Apr 9 by Dubtractor

To be fair to the council, they have rebuilt crown st multi storey to provide more reasonably priced parking, and the cornhill development is aimed at making town centre more attractive. I quite like it as it goes, but appreciate it may not be for everyone.

Big department stores are a bit of a relic on these days of internet shopping. Give it 10 or 20 years and town centre will be all coffee shops, restaurants and smaller shops.

There should probably be a lot more housing too.

Debenhams on 14:13 - Apr 9 with 3650 viewsITFC_Forever

The issue I have with internet shopping for clothes is if it doesn't fit, or the colour, material etc isn't as you thought, then it's a pain sending it back and getting a refund.

I do buy some clothes on-line, but I always get nervous about it. It's probably me being old-fashioned.

Debenhams on 14:16 - Apr 9 with 3636 viewsjeera

"these include high rates and rent".

Yes, I understand how retail works thank you!

I was just wondering how the stores compare with each other how they're being run and trade-wise.

Absolutely agree with all you say there though. So many councils seem to treat all their customers [traders and consumers alike] as the bloody enemy.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Debenhams on 14:19 - Apr 9 with 3629 viewsnrb1985

That last part actually sounds quite pleasant.

Part of the reason I think the high st has lost its appeal is because they all look the same. Debenhams, Next, House of Fraser, Ryman...zzzzz

I'm all for independent shops and good restaurants/coffee houses that provide an experience you can't get sitting in front of your computer.
Debenhams on 14:26 - Apr 9 with 3624 viewsGuthrum

Our Debenhams shut a couple of years ago (when the shopping centre it was in got bought out and demolished for a new John Lewis). It didn't return and now probably never will.

That having been said, they'd cut down on a lot of the clothes I liked (on the rare occasions I shop for them).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Debenhams on 14:28 - Apr 9 with 3614 viewsGeoffSentence

Where will I buy my 20 quid trousers from?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Debenhams on 14:32 - Apr 9 with 3591 viewsSitfcB

Debenhams on 14:28 - Apr 9 by GeoffSentence

Where will I buy my 20 quid trousers from?

Primark

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Debenhams on 14:34 - Apr 9 with 3576 viewsGeoffSentence

Debenhams on 14:32 - Apr 9 by SitfcB

Primark

Isnt primark for teenage girls who want something to wear once?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Debenhams on 14:37 - Apr 9 with 3564 viewsITFC_Forever

Debenhams on 14:32 - Apr 9 by SitfcB

Primark

Wash your mouth out.

Awful, horrid shop. When the wife and daughters go in there, I wait outside listening to the buskers.

Debenhams on 15:12 - Apr 9 with 3503 viewsDebsyAngel

I hope someone can come in and save it. They need to reduce these high street rents on shops.

I personally like the place - and I am going to find it impossible to get decent shoes or underwear in other places.

I refuse to do clothes/shoe shopping online - I need to know something fits before buying it.

Cannot understand how all the little crappy shops in town can afford the rent but a place like Debenhams can't. How many more nail bars/barbers/pound shops/charity shops can we take?
Debenhams on 15:19 - Apr 9 with 3483 viewsSwansea_Blue

Debenhams on 12:54 - Apr 9 by itfcjoe

Yep. Not just Ipswich too. It’s one of the main stores in towns and small cities up and down the country. It’s the main store down here in Swansea - can’t see how they’ll fill the massive spaces this will leave behind.

Some real imaginative thinking is needed about what to do with our town centres. The landscape’s changed too much to expect more of the same to work.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Debenhams on 15:52 - Apr 9 with 3453 viewsDeano69

A sign of the times. Went shopping to Mrs Deano's Christmas present with 12 year old Daughter.

Saw a coat in Debenhams that might suit, but not in her size. After eventually tracking someone down to see if there were any more 'round the back', I got told 'No' after suggesting they order it in for me (my suggestion not her's) she said 'it's best you sort it online' so using Debenhams Free WiFi while standing in the coat department I order a different coat from another shop as I couldn't find the one I wanted on Debenhams website.

The truth is, the majority of retail stores do not employ good sales staff. Quite honestly, the fact that I had bothered to go in store, with intent to buy, should mean its a poor show if I walk out without the goods.

That little shopping expedition saw me having to subsequently order 5 presents online later, a further one ordered for pick up when the girl at M&S correctly ordered it all for me and even got it delivered to the most convenient store for picking up from (absolutely the right way to do it) and the only thing I bought in town was a box of chocolates (which quite honestly I could have bought anywhere)

Retail as a whole needs to take a long hard look at itself.

Did have a nice lunch though

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024