Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? 10:26 - Apr 11 with 7866 viewsBloots

....I'm sure we've got a few that played to a really decent level, semi-pro, maybe even higher.

Lets have a brief summary of your levels.

Me: Played Essex County Schools level when I was early teens. Left back.

Had a trial at Wimbledon (in a park). Failed.

Had a "training session" at Arsenal, tripped over on their astroturf, banged my head on a wall. Failed.

Started smoking and drinking at about 15. Gradually got worse.

Played Sunday mornings till I was 30. Got fat, gave up.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 10:35 - Apr 11 with 3759 viewsSwansea_Blue

Played for England schools when I was 12 in a U14 international tournament. Got battered and bruised but did ok. Was being scouted but then got Osgood-Schlatter disease in my knees and that was the end of all that.

Tried a comeback season in may late 20s for Mold Alex in the Welsh National league, but wasn't fit enough and didn't enjoy the 18 year old scousers running rings around me, so that was the end of that too.

I didn't have body or mind to make it. I could possibly have make an amateur leagues career if I'd put a bit more effort in in my early 20s once my knees recovered. I wasn't our of place technically in the Welsh League, but just couldn't do the running.

Now I don't understand half of the laws of the game.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 10:39 - Apr 11 with 3740 viewsDubtractor

I was in the decent but unspectacular bracket I guess. Fairly nippy and skilful left winger or attacking full back, very two footed. Played in the reserves at woodbridge Town for about 5 seasons, and for a few other local teams. Always one of the better players, but never the standout if that makes sense.

Still playing a 7 a side game at Whitton sports centre once a week, and hold my own against players 20 years younger than me.

So the short answer to your question is: not me.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 10:41 - Apr 11 with 3706 viewsStadiumofdark

I was like Kayden Jackson, without the speed.
Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 10:48 - Apr 11 with 3661 viewsBondiBlue

I was crap when i was younger. Now semi-decent at 40.

Poll: Which would you accept?

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 10:55 - Apr 11 with 3633 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Played in goal for county schools in my teens. Trialed at Reading, Leeds and Swindon, (They had just got into the Prem then). They wanted to take another look at me in the summer, and in the last game of the season I took a knee to the jaw and broke it.

Was out for 10 weeks and by then they had moved on. Started smoking and drinking, realised pro footballers have to work really fking hard, and I was having too much fun getting wasted.

I was last seen leaning against the goal post, dragging on an Embassy No1.
[Post edited 11 Apr 10:56]

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 10:59 - Apr 11 with 3594 viewshomer_123

Not me.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 11:00 - Apr 11 with 3591 viewsSitfcB

I’ve played for Ipswich first team a few times….

…in my dreams.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 11:01 - Apr 11 with 3584 viewsgainsboroughblue

Didn't play for any of my schools teams. Was always told I had the talent but either didn't want it or believe in myself enough. Played for a few junior sides, mainly in 5 asides and junior knockouts (Whitton Sports Centre, Martlesham etc)

Licensed Trades League 1989-1991
Little David Sunday Morning League 1991-1995

SIL League (Divisions 3 or 4 or somewhere, certainly not at the level that a Suffolk Senior Cup final at PR was a possibility) 1992-1995

Shift work and back trouble put paid to it at age 22. Plus I was too heavily into other things.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Login to get fewer ads

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 11:14 - Apr 11 with 3486 viewsHerbivore

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 10:35 - Apr 11 by Swansea_Blue

Played for England schools when I was 12 in a U14 international tournament. Got battered and bruised but did ok. Was being scouted but then got Osgood-Schlatter disease in my knees and that was the end of all that.

Tried a comeback season in may late 20s for Mold Alex in the Welsh National league, but wasn't fit enough and didn't enjoy the 18 year old scousers running rings around me, so that was the end of that too.

I didn't have body or mind to make it. I could possibly have make an amateur leagues career if I'd put a bit more effort in in my early 20s once my knees recovered. I wasn't our of place technically in the Welsh League, but just couldn't do the running.

Now I don't understand half of the laws of the game.

I also had Osgood-Schlatter, very much messed up any sport for much of my teen years.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 11:16 - Apr 11 with 3472 viewsJ2BLUE

Had the brain but not the body.

Fairly sure I will be the Messi of walking football in a couple of decades.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Definitely not me on 11:22 - Apr 11 with 3446 viewsDyland

I've always been sh1t at footy, and don't really understand what I'm watching half the time either.

Are you fishing for one of our erstwhile semi-pro members?

"Started smoking and drinking at about 15."

Square.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 11:25 - Apr 11 with 3413 viewsgiant_stow

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 11:16 - Apr 11 by J2BLUE

Had the brain but not the body.

Fairly sure I will be the Messi of walking football in a couple of decades.

(Walking football seems to be a minefield of debates about running and other rule breaks.)

Personally, I'm rubbish, but enjoying playing again as I rush to 50. Holding midfielder seems to be my spot - grrr! The 35s have asked for players for Saturday so might play against younguns who still have testosterone in their bodies. Scary.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 11:27 - Apr 11 with 3418 views_clive_baker_

Ipswich academy from 11-16, got released. Went to Colchester for a bit, left to focus on school. Ipswich academy was incredible, amazing memories, and a few of my team did go on to play a lot in the football league (and Town).

Went to Uni when I was 18 and played in the 1st team for my time there, that was a good standard in BUSA league football. Pretty much everyone in our team had come out of academies, a lot of top northern ones, we even had an U21 international, albeit not from a top footballing nation. Our coach for some of that time had hundreds of top flight appearances to his name, bit of a goal machine, and England caps. Really top bloke as well. Our manager has since managed in the football league.

Finished Uni, moved to London, coached at Charlton for a bit and did some FA badges as I was considering that as a career, but decided against it. I played in National League South and Ryman Premier for about 5 seasons for a few different London clubs.

Stopped playing at 27 / 28 as a) I couldn't stay fit, b) my day job was starting to take over (as well as some professional studies that went alongside it). I also had 1 or 2 bad experiences like not getting paid by one club which I wont mention and being punched by a former Cambridge United manager.
Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 11:36 - Apr 11 with 3340 viewsWeWereZombies

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 11:27 - Apr 11 by _clive_baker_

Ipswich academy from 11-16, got released. Went to Colchester for a bit, left to focus on school. Ipswich academy was incredible, amazing memories, and a few of my team did go on to play a lot in the football league (and Town).

Went to Uni when I was 18 and played in the 1st team for my time there, that was a good standard in BUSA league football. Pretty much everyone in our team had come out of academies, a lot of top northern ones, we even had an U21 international, albeit not from a top footballing nation. Our coach for some of that time had hundreds of top flight appearances to his name, bit of a goal machine, and England caps. Really top bloke as well. Our manager has since managed in the football league.

Finished Uni, moved to London, coached at Charlton for a bit and did some FA badges as I was considering that as a career, but decided against it. I played in National League South and Ryman Premier for about 5 seasons for a few different London clubs.

Stopped playing at 27 / 28 as a) I couldn't stay fit, b) my day job was starting to take over (as well as some professional studies that went alongside it). I also had 1 or 2 bad experiences like not getting paid by one club which I wont mention and being punched by a former Cambridge United manager.

Could you just read that last line beck to me ?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 11:37 - Apr 11 with 3339 viewsReuser_is_God

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 11:27 - Apr 11 by _clive_baker_

Who went on to play for Town from your academy group?

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 11:41 - Apr 11 with 3312 viewsblueislander

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 10:55 - Apr 11 by Cheltenham_Blue

Played in goal for county schools in my teens. Trialed at Reading, Leeds and Swindon, (They had just got into the Prem then). They wanted to take another look at me in the summer, and in the last game of the season I took a knee to the jaw and broke it.

Was out for 10 weeks and by then they had moved on. Started smoking and drinking, realised pro footballers have to work really fking hard, and I was having too much fun getting wasted.

I was last seen leaning against the goal post, dragging on an Embassy No1.
[Post edited 11 Apr 10:56]

You broke someone’s knee with your jaw?
Square....? on 11:45 - Apr 11 with 3266 viewsBloots

Definitely not me on 11:22 - Apr 11 by Dyland

I've always been sh1t at footy, and don't really understand what I'm watching half the time either.

Are you fishing for one of our erstwhile semi-pro members?

"Started smoking and drinking at about 15."

Square.

....I was talking about crack and meths!

Up yours.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 11:46 - Apr 11 with 3263 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 11:41 - Apr 11 by blueislander

You broke someone’s knee with your jaw?

If only.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 11:56 - Apr 11 with 3223 viewsVanSaParody

One appearance for (where I'm originally from) Herts county v Arsenal at Uxbridge Utd's ground 4-4
Trial at Watford (couldn't afford new GK gloves & spilled a shot I'd normally have held)
Boreham Wood FC incl regular in a reserve league winning season & an unused sub in Herts senior final v Watford at Vicarage Road (incl Luther Blissett & my opposite number, their unused sub GK David James)

Unfortunately, the immediate need to earn money & a job where I had to work Saturdays took priority

Not the tallest, so prob more difficult for me, but I did learn that my Sunday league manager who introduced me to Watford scout, previously to me, introduced Tim Sherwood (I know he's an ex budgie, but he turned pro at Watford/we're from the same place) to the same scout

Now the wrong side of 50, I've had a slipped disc & a heart attack in my medical history & have long since plonked on so much weight, I can really "fill" the goal now!

COYB's
Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 11:57 - Apr 11 with 3222 viewsghostofescobar

Played for Bury St Edmunds reserves at my height in the late 80’s/early 90’s. Was a decent level back then and used to get a little bit of cash in the pocket for expenses. The first team had some very decent footballers: some that were obviously extremely talented and had been with various clubs, but for whatever reason dropped down the leagues. When I trained with the first team lads it made me realise that I wasn’t the great footballer I thought I was. I worked hard, but didn’t have the talent. Used to p1ss me off seeing how good some of the players were, but their attitudes stank. I used to wish I could have some of their talent to go with my lungs! Then I discovered raves, drugs, clubs……and the rest is history (that history being me minus football, but having the best days of my life!!). I still play 5 a side despite being in my mid fifties and enjoy it.

GhostOfEscobar

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 12:01 - Apr 11 with 3197 viewsghostofescobar

Hey, I know, we should have a 5 a side knockabout before a game. Get all us old, used to be decent, could have made it you know, now got dodgy knees TWTD forum dwellers to have a run about. Hire a pitch, turn up, pick teams, off we go!!

GhostOfEscobar

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 12:01 - Apr 11 with 3190 viewshomer_123

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 11:57 - Apr 11 by ghostofescobar

Played for Bury St Edmunds reserves at my height in the late 80’s/early 90’s. Was a decent level back then and used to get a little bit of cash in the pocket for expenses. The first team had some very decent footballers: some that were obviously extremely talented and had been with various clubs, but for whatever reason dropped down the leagues. When I trained with the first team lads it made me realise that I wasn’t the great footballer I thought I was. I worked hard, but didn’t have the talent. Used to p1ss me off seeing how good some of the players were, but their attitudes stank. I used to wish I could have some of their talent to go with my lungs! Then I discovered raves, drugs, clubs……and the rest is history (that history being me minus football, but having the best days of my life!!). I still play 5 a side despite being in my mid fifties and enjoy it.

I don't think people understand or realise how few actually make it in pro-football (mens). Therefore, the actual level and quality of players that don't make it but are still exceptional is high.

I can think of two people that I've played with that didn't make it one, as you rightly say, due to attitude and the other, without doubt the single best footballer I've seen play and played with that didn't make it. No one could get the ball from him, technically brilliant and I mean unreal but his body was broken - Darren Anderton had nothing on him.

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 12:03 - Apr 11 with 3171 viewshomer_123

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 12:01 - Apr 11 by ghostofescobar

Hey, I know, we should have a 5 a side knockabout before a game. Get all us old, used to be decent, could have made it you know, now got dodgy knees TWTD forum dwellers to have a run about. Hire a pitch, turn up, pick teams, off we go!!

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 12:03 - Apr 11 with 3162 viewseireblue

If I moved the jumpers a bit closer together, I was a pretty good shoot stopper.
Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 12:04 - Apr 11 with 3138 viewsusm

Not me, was always 'park' football for me - mostly Mid Essex League.
Claim to fame - winning the Essex Junior Trophy at Billericay Town FC !!!

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024