Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? 10:26 - Apr 11 with 8437 viewsBloots

....I'm sure we've got a few that played to a really decent level, semi-pro, maybe even higher.

Lets have a brief summary of your levels.

Me: Played Essex County Schools level when I was early teens. Left back.

Had a trial at Wimbledon (in a park). Failed.

Had a "training session" at Arsenal, tripped over on their astroturf, banged my head on a wall. Failed.

Started smoking and drinking at about 15. Gradually got worse.

Played Sunday mornings till I was 30. Got fat, gave up.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 12:06 - Apr 11 with 1750 viewsgiant_stow

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 12:01 - Apr 11 by homer_123

I don't think people understand or realise how few actually make it in pro-football (mens). Therefore, the actual level and quality of players that don't make it but are still exceptional is high.

I can think of two people that I've played with that didn't make it one, as you rightly say, due to attitude and the other, without doubt the single best footballer I've seen play and played with that didn't make it. No one could get the ball from him, technically brilliant and I mean unreal but his body was broken - Darren Anderton had nothing on him.

I went to school with Chris Bart Williams (RIP), but he wasn't one of the most gifted players in the school - all about application for him I guess.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 12:13 - Apr 11 with 1719 viewsKieran_Knows

Played for St John's on a Saturday morning from under 7's to under 14's (I think). Started off on pitch, then moved back to keeper when we went to full size goals at under 11's (may be 12's, can't remember). We were sponsored by McDonald's and had our picture up near the tills on Tavern Street and for every time we won 3 games in a row, we got a free McDonald's. TWTD.

Went and done some goalkeeper training for like a Town 'community' team on the pitch behind Britannia stand, which ended up me playing in a game for the community team (can't remember who against). Then last year when we had our kitchen fitted, one of the fitters remembered my face and it was from the goalkeeper training down there all those years.

Played for Murray Rangers on a Sunday morning from 17-25 (I think), until they folded. We started up as a Monday night team at Gainsborough Sports Centre for a couple of years, but we soon jacked that in as well!

Haven't played football in 2 years now, gave up to try get better (and failing) at playing Squash!

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 12:15 - Apr 11 with 1723 viewsBlueBadger

I once had a PE teacher tell me that I had one of the best football brains he'd ever seen. Unfortunately, I also combined that with two of the worst football feet he'd ever seen.
[Post edited 11 Apr 16:14]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 12:24 - Apr 11 with 1686 viewshomer_123

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 12:15 - Apr 11 by BlueBadger

I once had a PE teacher tell me that I had one of the best football brains he'd ever seen. Unfortunately, I also combined that with two of the worst football feet he'd ever seen.

You're Mark Fish aren't you?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 12:27 - Apr 11 with 1679 viewsIllinoisblue

Played two seasons at U8 and U9 for Cornard Dynamos. Right wing, bit of pace. Peaked too soon.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 12:34 - Apr 11 with 1656 viewsVanSaParody

Funny, the older I get, the better I was
Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 12:37 - Apr 11 with 1642 viewsCotty

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 10:48 - Apr 11 by BondiBlue

I was crap when i was younger. Now semi-decent at 40.

Ha, I'd give myself exactly the same description!
Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 12:47 - Apr 11 with 1611 viewsBlueschev

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 12:15 - Apr 11 by BlueBadger

One of my old managers described me as the worst player he'd ever seen who was good with both feet, so I tend to tell people I was good with both feet.
Login to get fewer ads

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 13:16 - Apr 11 with 1526 viewsBondiBlue

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 12:37 - Apr 11 by Cotty

Ha, I'd give myself exactly the same description!

I blame the years and years they spent trying to teach us rugby and hockey in PE instead of just letting us play footy.

Do you remember a black kid turning up one day (pretty sure he was an army kid) and we were suddenly doing basketball?

Poll: Which would you accept?

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 13:21 - Apr 11 with 1511 viewsChris_ITFC

Never played but my son has done well. He was at Fleetwood for a bit. He’s out injured at the moment, but joined Ipswich a few years ago and is loving it there.
Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 13:25 - Apr 11 with 1492 viewsCotty

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 13:16 - Apr 11 by BondiBlue

I blame the years and years they spent trying to teach us rugby and hockey in PE instead of just letting us play footy.

Do you remember a black kid turning up one day (pretty sure he was an army kid) and we were suddenly doing basketball?

Yeah school PE was not the best really was it?
Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 13:31 - Apr 11 with 1469 viewsChurchman

Not sure Catford and District League (and one or two others at similar level) is going to cut it compared to most on here.

Ham and egg midfielder. Couldn’t score goals, rubbish in the air, no pace. I could get about the pitch, tackle, foul, fetch and carry and that was about it. I was basically rubbish.

On the upside, you practically had to commit murder to get booked, which was handy as in those days you got fined and what little money I had went on beer.
Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 13:31 - Apr 11 with 1471 viewsjudespiveyg

In terms of current ability, purely based on what seems to be the average age on here, I reckon I might be near the top given that I'm early 20s.

I'm nothing special, play SIL Division 3 when I'm not at uni, ability wise could probably play a couple of divisions up but I'm guaranteed to start on the sporadic occasions I'm about for my current team, which I don't think would be the case if I played Prem or div 1. Played a decent level as a youth and had some good games against guys who went on to become pros at ITFC.

Usually full back but prefer wing back, very quick, keep myself really fit, very strong in the challenge, thrive at 1 to 1 defending. Technically bang average, crossing leaves a bit to be desired as a wing back, not much good in the air. Enjoy winding up the opposition.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 13:40 - Apr 11 with 1428 viewsTheBoyBlue

Played for Barcelona for a while before Messi edged me out and then been bumbling along winning the Champions League and World Cup, but nothing special.

Oh, sorry, just woken up.

No, nothing apart from playing for Whitton under-11s for a season.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 13:50 - Apr 11 with 1406 viewsBuhrer

Not me. I played school level, and some sort of West Suffolk Schools mini euro comp, before teenage pursuits took over.

But mainly just boys football u14 for Mildenhall Town and board legend Fishers was my Captain.
[Post edited 11 Apr 13:54]
Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 13:52 - Apr 11 with 1400 viewsurbanblue

I once nutmegged Danny Hegan ... True!
Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 14:06 - Apr 11 with 1375 viewschicoazul

Started playing walking football a year ago after not playing regularly for 30 years apart from the odd work game and ting. I have recently cultivated a mean Wilnis-esque step over but I still can’t score goals.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 14:07 - Apr 11 with 1361 viewsDubtractor

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 12:01 - Apr 11 by ghostofescobar

Hey, I know, we should have a 5 a side knockabout before a game. Get all us old, used to be decent, could have made it you know, now got dodgy knees TWTD forum dwellers to have a run about. Hire a pitch, turn up, pick teams, off we go!!

Surely for an event of that standard, the club would host it on the main pitch as pre match entertainment?

I would be up for a twtd 5 a side tournament though.
[Post edited 11 Apr 14:13]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 14:09 - Apr 11 with 1360 viewsitfcsuth

Was at Crewe Alexandra for 8 years, had a great time around 13/14 was going to move to Everton, but the travelling was unrealistic, released at 16 and turned to studies instead, wished I had gone on as had offers at Bolton & Wigan.

Lucky enough to be coached by Steve Holland & Neil Critchley for a long time who have gone on to do really well.

Carried on at University firsts which was a good experience, but now just play locally and will probably call it after this season as expecting my first child in a couple of weeks.
[Post edited 11 Apr 14:10]
Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 14:14 - Apr 11 with 1333 viewsblueislander

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 14:09 - Apr 11 by itfcsuth

Was at Crewe Alexandra for 8 years, had a great time around 13/14 was going to move to Everton, but the travelling was unrealistic, released at 16 and turned to studies instead, wished I had gone on as had offers at Bolton & Wigan.

Lucky enough to be coached by Steve Holland & Neil Critchley for a long time who have gone on to do really well.

Carried on at University firsts which was a good experience, but now just play locally and will probably call it after this season as expecting my first child in a couple of weeks.

Played for The Greyhound in the first Ipswich pub league.
Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 14:31 - Apr 11 with 1279 viewsheavyweight

I peaked when I played for Suffolk schoolboys against Norfolk schoolboys.

This was at the time when Justin Fashanu had broken into the 1st at Norwich. So ears pricked up when their team was read out and included a Fashanu.

I played CB and John scored a hat-trick in a 5-0 win, it was a tricky afternoon.
Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 14:36 - Apr 11 with 1246 viewsITFC_Forever

I played at uni in the 2nd team as goalkeeper as they were a bit light on goalkeepers, but felt like a fraud as the players in the 1st's and 2nd's were way better than my moderate goalkeeping.
We had Andy Cale coach us (was a coach at Sheff U before Mark Stein relegated them and was made redundant so started working at the uni), and Alan A'Court (Liverpool striker from the 60s) ran the sports centre.

We had a few players who had been in the YTS programmes at clubs who hadn't made it, including one who was very good friends with the Gregory brothers.

The uni leagues, especially at the top end, are a very good standard in all sports.

After uni, I played Sunday League in Ipswich for about a dozen years - me and sixth form mates set up a team which lasted 25 years and only folded last summer.

My bro-in-law is the one with the stories....
- YTS at Chelsea in the Gullitt years (year or two above John Terry).
- had a season as first year pro at Col U (was in the squad when they beat Torquay in the L2 PO Final in 1998).
- then went to Exeter, played a dozen games in his first season and then was set to be first choice GK the following season, before promptly doing his ACL in a pre-season game.
- then went to Weymouth for a couple of seasons.
- then Canvey Island and got promoted to the Conference under Jeff King when they had all the (relatively) big names.
- Stevenage in the conference next for a season, was in the squad for the first ever club game at the new Wembley.
- Cambridge next and got to two Conference PO Finals.
- Then Torquay, got to the L2 PO Final,
- Then Newport, and a few games for Eastbourne / Staines before he retired.
- Has coached locally for a few seasons and got some promotions with them too.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 14:44 - Apr 11 with 1220 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 14:09 - Apr 11 by itfcsuth

You need to sell that story to the papers.

The having a baby part, not the football part.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 14:57 - Apr 11 with 1182 viewsDubtractor

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 14:31 - Apr 11 by heavyweight

I peaked when I played for Suffolk schoolboys against Norfolk schoolboys.

This was at the time when Justin Fashanu had broken into the 1st at Norwich. So ears pricked up when their team was read out and included a Fashanu.

I played CB and John scored a hat-trick in a 5-0 win, it was a tricky afternoon.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 15:01 - Apr 11 with 1168 viewsusm

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 13:31 - Apr 11 by judespiveyg

In terms of current ability, purely based on what seems to be the average age on here, I reckon I might be near the top given that I'm early 20s.

I'm nothing special, play SIL Division 3 when I'm not at uni, ability wise could probably play a couple of divisions up but I'm guaranteed to start on the sporadic occasions I'm about for my current team, which I don't think would be the case if I played Prem or div 1. Played a decent level as a youth and had some good games against guys who went on to become pros at ITFC.

Usually full back but prefer wing back, very quick, keep myself really fit, very strong in the challenge, thrive at 1 to 1 defending. Technically bang average, crossing leaves a bit to be desired as a wing back, not much good in the air. Enjoy winding up the opposition.

You are Janoi Donacien and I claim my Audi.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024