Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? 10:26 - Apr 11 with 8434 viewsBloots

....I'm sure we've got a few that played to a really decent level, semi-pro, maybe even higher.

Lets have a brief summary of your levels.

Me: Played Essex County Schools level when I was early teens. Left back.

Had a trial at Wimbledon (in a park). Failed.

Had a "training session" at Arsenal, tripped over on their astroturf, banged my head on a wall. Failed.

Started smoking and drinking at about 15. Gradually got worse.

Played Sunday mornings till I was 30. Got fat, gave up.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 10:03 - Apr 12 with 1298 viewsWeWereZombies

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 05:10 - Apr 12 by textbackup

Played Centre Half for nearly all of my ‘career’ with the odd occasions at Left Back.

Started at Chantry Grasshoppers as an 11 year old (playing up a couple of years) then dropped down to my aged group once the team was created. Was captain for 5/6 years. (And most of the teams I played for there after)
Played for the school, ever present, again at CB. Where I had trails for Suffolk and played a few games.

Moved on to play for Achilles, most of it spent playing for the reserves, with a few call ups to the first team, highlight being on the bench when we win the cup at PR.

Supporting Town came first, so never pushed myself on too much playing wise as an adult.

————

As a side note on this thread, interesting to see those that seem to know everything, and are always right when discussing anything football wise, haven’t commented/mentioned their playing careers at all… funny that isn’t it.

Look Jackson, is an OK footballer, alright ?

Anyway, never could get out of being in the house fifteen for rugby and the house eleven for cricket (despite spending my fielding making daisy chains.) Then in the third year Northgate allowed football in games - did I get selected for the first eleven, nah, I didn't even make the second house eleven and got shoved into the bits and bobs leftovers from the four houses (where I excelled.) When I applied myself (by not going for a smoke underneath the railway bridge) I could turn in a top ten performance (out of over a hundred) in cross country.

Did play in scratch five a side (and one full team) games over the years, up until I was forty five. Keep fit these days by looking after a mountain bothy and climbing Munros.

Edit: forgot to say I was another with a broken wrist, playing five a side on a full size pitch and me in a full size goal (which anyone who knows me will find an hilarious concept, Laurie Sivell isn't in it...) I met a shot palm out just as someone followed in the rebound with the full lash. I carried on and finished the game though but felt I needed to go to A&E in the morning.
[Post edited 12 Apr 10:15]

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

I assumed you'd pipe up eventually! (n/t) on 10:33 - Apr 12 with 1270 viewsPhilTWTD

I assumed you'd pipe up eventually! (n/t) on 16:24 - Apr 11 by Bloots

Took me a while to formulate an argument. I was scouted at one point on a Town Swedish pre-season tour by a chap who had worked for Millwall and others, who had made the trip as he was related to some Town fans.

I played in a tournament against some local Swedish teams, one of which featured Brazilian trialists, one playing barefoot, and scored as we ground out a 1-0 win. Afterwards, the scout asked me if I'd played at a decent level and if I was 18 he'd get me in to his club - I forget where he was working, may have been Wigan - for another look. Unfortunately I was 33 at the time.
Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 10:46 - Apr 12 with 1228 viewsHeathlander

Scored a hat trick for Clifford Road against Broke Hall. Downhill from there.

Formed Heathlands United and played Lisenced Trade for a few years. Just a mates team from the pub.

We did get to play at Portman Road against Fisons. One of our team was dating the PR manager from Fisons. They were Town sponsor at the time. Amazing day that was. Kevin Beattie was guest of honour. I was a slow ball playing centre back. In the reception after the game in the Centre Spot I asked the Beat if I reminded him of himself. He said I did. Then said because your half cut. Legend.
Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 10:57 - Apr 12 with 1199 viewsTractorCam

Scored a good chip in the playground once.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 11:21 - Apr 12 with 1162 viewsthorpedo

I was a poor 11 a-side player (did score v an aging Malcolm Shotton once, ex Oxford centre half from the 80'S), but have always enjoyed 5 and 7 a-side more.

Used to play with Kevin Beattie at 7 a-side on a Monday night at Coppleston High School. He was in his 50's with shot knees -but still a class act. He commended me on my Cruyff Turn (it is my only trick) once - I'll never forget it! John Wark and Alan Brazil used to also play sometimes.

Thorpedo

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 11:38 - Apr 12 with 1136 viewsBarcaBlue

I was a left winger at Northgate, gave up footy at 15 but continued as a left winger.

My son was invited onto the Barça technical schools program when he was about 8. Scored a couple of goals for them at the old mini-estadi but gave up as he thought the training drills were boring. He's now playing in the Catalan 4th division
Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 12:09 - Apr 12 with 1090 viewsjayessess

Played for Claydon Juniors up to about 11/12 ish, then a bit for school teams up to my teens. Tried hard but I was very small for my age (birthday in August didn't help) and tripped over my own feet even without the pressure of having a football to contend with. Through persistence made myself into the kind of player who didn't actively embarrass himself when playing Sunday League, which I considered a reasonable achievement given the lack of athletic blessings that genetics bequeathed me.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 12:38 - Apr 12 with 1044 viewsChurchman

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 20:20 - Apr 11 by britbiker

I was bloody good at five a side but crap at 11 a side. When in my fifties I thought I was still reasonable until I played against an ex pro then realised what good was.
[Post edited 11 Apr 20:21]

When i was playing regularly, we went up against one particular team and I was tasked with marking the old bloke. I was young, fit and could get around the pitch. I was told he was their playmaker.

He looked like a retired undertaker that had carried too many coffins. Decrepit. ‘No problem’ said I, thinking I’ll boot him up and down the pitch for 90 minutes.

I never got near the bloke. His legs were shot; everything looked shot but by the time he’d finished I looked like the horse staggering in last in the Grand National. He shook my hand with a smile as I wheezed. He killed us and it turned out he was an ex pro.

Talking of five a side, I played for my work team when I was in my thirties and had long since packed up 11 a side. I loved that and we actually had a really good team. It was a lot of fun. The guy who played behind me had been a really good player and that the main reason why we were decent.
Login to get fewer ads

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 12:49 - Apr 12 with 1025 viewsPlums

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 16:17 - Apr 11 by leitrimblue

Was on 1 or 2 of those West Suffolk Schools European adventures. Germany, Holland and possibly France?

Played for lots of different Haverhill teams as a kid and up to early 20,s, HMP Gunners being the main one.

Played a lot of 5 a side in the late 80,s early 90,s as didn't involve getting up early on a Saturday or Sunday morning..
At one point I was the only lad in our 5 a side team who wasn't being payed to play football elsewhere. Couple of um went on to play lower league football (Cambridge Utd etc) until retirement. Last I heard 1 of um was a manager at a BSE kinda level

I found a medal from my West Suffolk tour of Holland and Germany amongst my late dad's things a couple of weeks ago.
I remember playing on 'redgras' - which was basically gravel. Reckon it was about 1982
[Post edited 12 Apr 12:53]

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 12:59 - Apr 12 with 1015 viewsMeadowlark

Won the Lowestoft College 3 a-side indoor football cup in 72 or 73. Our team included Barry Mayhew who was with Ipswich Youths and played for England youths. I think he was from Halesworth.
The team we beat in the final was skippered by my old pal Brian Gallagher (RIP) who founded Waveney Youths FC and also Phil Baldry (RIP) who was a big Ipswich fan and well-known in Lowestoft back in the day.
Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 13:16 - Apr 12 with 998 viewsMK1

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 13:38 - Apr 12 with 979 viewsgiant_stow

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 20:20 - Apr 11 by britbiker

I was bloody good at five a side but crap at 11 a side. When in my fifties I thought I was still reasonable until I played against an ex pro then realised what good was.
[Post edited 11 Apr 20:21]

Yeah, I played against Woodford town over 45s last season - stuffed full of ex pros and semi pros - left me feeling the same way.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 14:07 - Apr 12 with 922 viewsLinners

I thought I was quite decent at the time, but now realise I really wasn't. Highest level I played was for Saffron Walden's U18s. Not sure what league they were in at the time but played in the FA Youth Cup a couple of times, including getting battered 6-1 at London Road by Peterborough. I also remember playing against John Hartson once for Luton and he made us look like right mugs.

Highlight was probably playing against Norwich's U16 team which enabled me to run around and kick some smaller people thinking I was hard. I wasn't. In the end I chose watching Town over playing Saturday football and drifted away - not really missed it to be honest.
Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 15:44 - Apr 12 with 833 viewssoupytwist

Fairly sure that in a thread on here a long time ago someone (not me) said that they'd played youth representative football at some level for Suffolk. They played against an east London youth representative team and were pretty pleased to be keeping it 0-0 until the second half when their opponents brought on a big lad as sub. He promptly ran rings round them and scored 4 goals to win the game. Turns out it was Jonjo Shelvey.

Anyone able to confirm that?

I was rubbish, captained my primary school team and it was downhill from there.

My proudest footballing moment was on the second (and last) time I turned out for Punch Drunk, the team made up of members of the Ipswich Town fans email list, in the late 90s/early 2000s. We were playing against Norwich and getting beaten quite convincingly. Our only goal came from a towering header by me from a corner.
Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 15:45 - Apr 12 with 830 viewsLesta_Tractor

Comfortably the worst player in the worst Sunday league team in my part of Suffolk as a teen/early twenty.

I did play hockey at a decent standard though but nothing compared to my wife who was a squad player in a team containing eight GB internationals.

Now I'm old and slow 😔

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 16:45 - Apr 12 with 767 viewsITFC1977

Played for St John’s and then Achilles youth teams. Also played for South Suffolk, Suffolk and East Anglia boys with Richard Wright, Danny Mills and a lad that played abit for Cambridge Michael Kidd.

At U14’s we won the league, league cup, minor cup and easy cup( East Anglian Sunday Youth Cup) won every match for the season.

Geoff Hammond( ex town ) used to scout for WBA in the days when Ossie Ardilles was in charge so at 16 went there for a trial and was offered a 6 month extended trial so moved up there. At the time Scott Darton was playing in the first team ( he’s from Ipswich) and he was great with me as he knew I was from Ipswich.

I won’t give the usual excuses from then on, didn’t have the attitude, got caught with girls in our digs, probably wasn’t good enough, jacked it in at 18.

My son is now at Ipswich and plays a few years up in the academy, also plays internationally and has a much better attitude than me so hopefully I’ll elaborate further in the future.
[Post edited 12 Apr 17:29]
Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 16:53 - Apr 12 with 736 viewsleitrimblue

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 12:49 - Apr 12 by Plums

I found a medal from my West Suffolk tour of Holland and Germany amongst my late dad's things a couple of weeks ago.
I remember playing on 'redgras' - which was basically gravel. Reckon it was about 1982
[Post edited 12 Apr 12:53]

Yer, think I was on the 1982 one, was 11. Was a black and gold badge if I remember correctly?
I remember the 'kid' marking me in the game in Germany had a moustache..
Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 17:10 - Apr 12 with 709 viewsBuhrer

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 16:53 - Apr 12 by leitrimblue

Yer, think I was on the 1982 one, was 11. Was a black and gold badge if I remember correctly?

I think I went around a decade later and the Germans still had him playing! Their team full of overaged teutonic beasts. A war on a red shale pitch, our wounds scrubbed clean afterwards as we sang songs of our amazing draw against the bosch. The Dutch? All of them Cruyff like on the ball, thrashed us. The Belgians all seemed like they needed a square meal and were about 4" tall, easy win.
Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 17:13 - Apr 12 with 692 viewsleitrimblue

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 17:10 - Apr 12 by Buhrer

I think I went around a decade later and the Germans still had him playing! Their team full of overaged teutonic beasts. A war on a red shale pitch, our wounds scrubbed clean afterwards as we sang songs of our amazing draw against the bosch. The Dutch? All of them Cruyff like on the ball, thrashed us. The Belgians all seemed like they needed a square meal and were about 4" tall, easy win.

Think we may have one the other 2 but took a pasting to the suspiciously oversized Germans
Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 18:49 - Apr 12 with 610 viewsPlums

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 16:53 - Apr 12 by leitrimblue

The one I have is black and silver but yours may have been gold as I was sh*t 🤦‍♂️
I wonder if it was the same tour then - I can remember a couple of incidents - do they ring any bells?

I went to St Louis in Bury. One of our lads was black. In the club room after the game, one of the locals threw a glass ashtray at him. I think it was in Germany.

There was also a trip to a toboggan park in Holland with a ludicrous asbestos track. I burnt the elbows out of my nice maroon cardigan!

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 19:40 - Apr 12 with 567 viewsleitrimblue

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 18:49 - Apr 12 by Plums

The one I have is black and silver but yours may have been gold as I was sh*t 🤦‍♂️
I wonder if it was the same tour then - I can remember a couple of incidents - do they ring any bells?

I went to St Louis in Bury. One of our lads was black. In the club room after the game, one of the locals threw a glass ashtray at him. I think it was in Germany.

There was also a trip to a toboggan park in Holland with a ludicrous asbestos track. I burnt the elbows out of my nice maroon cardigan!

I definitely remember the toboggan run. Not everyday school kids from Haverhill see that kinda thing
Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 20:30 - Apr 12 with 528 viewsronnyd

Used to play in goal for Hardwick Wanderers on Hardwick Heath about 40 odd years ago. Anyone else have such a glittering career?
Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 20:54 - Apr 12 with 502 viewsGeomorph

Cumbria under 19s … doesn’t mean that much… centre half but no beattie 😊
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024