Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? 10:26 - Apr 11 with 8432 viewsBloots

....I'm sure we've got a few that played to a really decent level, semi-pro, maybe even higher.

Lets have a brief summary of your levels.

Me: Played Essex County Schools level when I was early teens. Left back.

Had a trial at Wimbledon (in a park). Failed.

Had a "training session" at Arsenal, tripped over on their astroturf, banged my head on a wall. Failed.

Started smoking and drinking at about 15. Gradually got worse.

Played Sunday mornings till I was 30. Got fat, gave up.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 15:18 - Apr 11 with 1363 viewsblueasfook

Did swimming at school. Always wanted to play football but got roped into doing swimming instead. Swam for my school and played water polo. Loved water polo was great fun.

Got into playing football in my twenties and got picked for the University second side. They put me in defence though which I hated as I always fancied myself a winger! I got dropped after a few games cos I never turned up for training.

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 15:55 - Apr 11 with 1317 viewsRichOBlue

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 12:13 - Apr 11 by Kieran_Knows

Played for St John's on a Saturday morning from under 7's to under 14's (I think). Started off on pitch, then moved back to keeper when we went to full size goals at under 11's (may be 12's, can't remember). We were sponsored by McDonald's and had our picture up near the tills on Tavern Street and for every time we won 3 games in a row, we got a free McDonald's. TWTD.

Went and done some goalkeeper training for like a Town 'community' team on the pitch behind Britannia stand, which ended up me playing in a game for the community team (can't remember who against). Then last year when we had our kitchen fitted, one of the fitters remembered my face and it was from the goalkeeper training down there all those years.

Played for Murray Rangers on a Sunday morning from 17-25 (I think), until they folded. We started up as a Monday night team at Gainsborough Sports Centre for a couple of years, but we soon jacked that in as well!

Haven't played football in 2 years now, gave up to try get better (and failing) at playing Squash!

God that’s made me feel old!! Had a good little team and very entertaining to watch

Poll: What formation suits us best?

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 16:06 - Apr 11 with 1308 viewsPhilTWTD

I was once given the Man of the Match award at the Portman Cup by Matt Holland. I rest my case.
Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 16:12 - Apr 11 with 1294 viewsDeano69

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 16:06 - Apr 11 by PhilTWTD

I was once given the Man of the Match award at the Portman Cup by Matt Holland. I rest my case.

Keepy Uppy count?

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 16:13 - Apr 11 with 1291 viewsPhilTWTD

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 16:12 - Apr 11 by Deano69

Keepy Uppy count?

Erm, I'm still counting. I'll get back to you. More than Terry Butcher though!
Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 16:16 - Apr 11 with 1288 viewsBlueBadger

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 14:06 - Apr 11 by chicoazul

Started playing walking football a year ago after not playing regularly for 30 years apart from the odd work game and ting. I have recently cultivated a mean Wilnis-esque step over but I still can’t score goals.

You'd have probably been signed by Paul Lambert if you took it up five years earlier.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 16:17 - Apr 11 with 1286 viewsleitrimblue

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 13:50 - Apr 11 by Buhrer

Not me. I played school level, and some sort of West Suffolk Schools mini euro comp, before teenage pursuits took over.

But mainly just boys football u14 for Mildenhall Town and board legend Fishers was my Captain.
[Post edited 11 Apr 13:54]

Was on 1 or 2 of those West Suffolk Schools European adventures. Germany, Holland and possibly France?

Played for lots of different Haverhill teams as a kid and up to early 20,s, HMP Gunners being the main one.

Played a lot of 5 a side in the late 80,s early 90,s as didn't involve getting up early on a Saturday or Sunday morning..
At one point I was the only lad in our 5 a side team who wasn't being payed to play football elsewhere. Couple of um went on to play lower league football (Cambridge Utd etc) until retirement. Last I heard 1 of um was a manager at a BSE kinda level
Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 16:22 - Apr 11 with 1280 viewsDeano69

My Brothers played at a decent level both in Cambridge United Reserves back in the John Beck days. One went on to sign for Watford on an apprentice and played reserve team football. Stayed in the same digs John Barnes used to stay at, he regularly visited the lady that hosted them and used to take my bro to games or training if they were playing.

He once kicked Sol Campbell into the stands when Sol played up front, didn't get a squeak out of him for the rest of the game (and ended up CB not long after). All came to an end when Kenny Jacket got sacked and Steve Perryman came in and got rid of everyone, didn't even meet them, watch them play or say goodbye to them. Tough world

Both ended up playing Semi-pro locally and in East Sussex where one of them settled down.

Both now have ruined knees, ankle and hips!! only 48!

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Login to get fewer ads

I assumed you'd pipe up eventually! (n/t) on 16:24 - Apr 11 with 1278 viewsBloots

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 16:06 - Apr 11 by PhilTWTD

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 16:26 - Apr 11 with 1275 viewsBuhrer

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 16:17 - Apr 11 by leitrimblue

Was on 1 or 2 of those West Suffolk Schools European adventures. Germany, Holland and possibly France?

Played for lots of different Haverhill teams as a kid and up to early 20,s, HMP Gunners being the main one.

Played a lot of 5 a side in the late 80,s early 90,s as didn't involve getting up early on a Saturday or Sunday morning..
At one point I was the only lad in our 5 a side team who wasn't being payed to play football elsewhere. Couple of um went on to play lower league football (Cambridge Utd etc) until retirement. Last I heard 1 of um was a manager at a BSE kinda level

Yes that was the thing, early 90's we played in Holland, Germany and I think it was Belgium.
More like Uppie Keeper on 19:32 - Apr 11 with 1165 viewsDyland

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 16:12 - Apr 11 by Deano69

Keepy Uppy count?

Hammers played in goal and did a pill.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 20:20 - Apr 11 with 1122 viewsbritbiker

I was bloody good at five a side but crap at 11 a side. When in my fifties I thought I was still reasonable until I played against an ex pro then realised what good was.
[Post edited 11 Apr 20:21]
Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 20:33 - Apr 11 with 1103 viewsSwansea_Blue

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 11:14 - Apr 11 by Herbivore

I also had Osgood-Schlatter, very much messed up any sport for much of my teen years.

A right sod, wasn’t it. It got me out of cross country though (and all school sports for a couple of years - not a good time). Although that’s ironic, as I love trail running now.

I found out after I’d got over it that Alan Hansen suffered from it as he was coming through. That made me wish I’d put a bit more effort into coming back as soon as possible and trying to get going again. But I didn’t have the drive and then 6th form and beer, concerts and girls came along.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 20:40 - Apr 11 with 1072 viewsSwansea_Blue

Keepy Uppy count?

If I’d got MOTM awarded by Matt Holland, I’d have keepy uppy’d it for hours. It’d probably still be up.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 20:41 - Apr 11 with 1071 viewsmonkeymagic

There’s some very impressive football CV’s on here. I played for Harwich and Parkestone from under 9 through to under 13 level, and was considered quite good. However, by the end of my time there turns and tricks needed to be backed up with strength and bravery and I was found out. Badly. Absolute coward who avoided competing in the air if at all possible. Made a ‘comeback’ at 28 when my works team was short, and broke my leg. At that time I was the father of a 3 week old daughter and being practically immobile for the best part of two months didn’t exactly endear me to my wife. Oh, and I missed the play off final which was 2 days after my leg break. Couldn’t even have a beer at home as I was pumped with painkillers. FFS.
Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 20:45 - Apr 11 with 1064 viewsSE1blue

Not playing but about ten years ago I managed a mixed-sexed team of Grade 6 misfits to an Inner London School cup final. It’s one of the proudest moments of my life.

The team was a group of kids who came from very challenging backgrounds and I couldn’t have been prouder of them. We lost in the final. I had two of my best players missing and things just didn’t click on the day.

But man the ride was something I never wanted to end.

Poll: Should VAR be scrapped?
Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 00:25 - Apr 12 with 951 viewsIPS_wich

Was a pacy right-winger when I was 12/13 years old and got into the Suffolk U-14 squad but didn’t quite make the team.

Lost a bit of pace and converted to a full back and at U-16 level played locally for Ipswich Exiles in a year when we went undefeated and won every trophy available. Played 3-4 times for their adult team as a 16 year old.

Missed the whole season when 17 due to first a fractured metatarsal and then broken wrist - the latter when playing 5-a-side two weeks after getting the all clear on my foot injury.

Went to one of the biggest unis in the country at 18 and there were about 600 lads trying out for four teams. Got selected and played four years in the 2nd XI. As others have said, top end uni football is a pretty high standard with most of the 1st XI having played in professional academies as teenagers.

Moved to West London after I graduated and started to train with Hanwell Town who were then in the London League (I think Tier 9 in the football pyramid) but my job meant I was away a lot during the week and they wouldn’t sign me because of ‘commitment issues’. Pretty much stopped playing then because the working away meant lots of hotel breakfasts and evening beers paid for by my employer and that wasn’t really conducive to decent level sports!!
Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 04:52 - Apr 12 with 918 viewstcblue

Not football, but I went down Super Karts the day that it opened, and the owners said "No professionals, mate". I said I'm not, and they said I should be, and I'd definitely get into Formula 1.

But I'm making sh*tloads from computers...
Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 05:10 - Apr 12 with 920 viewstextbackup

Played Centre Half for nearly all of my ‘career’ with the odd occasions at Left Back.

Started at Chantry Grasshoppers as an 11 year old (playing up a couple of years) then dropped down to my aged group once the team was created. Was captain for 5/6 years. (And most of the teams I played for there after)
Played for the school, ever present, again at CB. Where I had trails for Suffolk and played a few games.

Moved on to play for Achilles, most of it spent playing for the reserves, with a few call ups to the first team, highlight being on the bench when we win the cup at PR.

Supporting Town came first, so never pushed myself on too much playing wise as an adult.

————

As a side note on this thread, interesting to see those that seem to know everything, and are always right when discussing anything football wise, haven’t commented/mentioned their playing careers at all… funny that isn’t it.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 07:18 - Apr 12 with 850 viewsBattersea_Blue

From Lowestoft originally.

Played for Lowestoft boys throughout senior school, was a centre forward. After leaving school played in div 1 of the Lowestoft Sunday league, top scorer in the league for 3 consecutive seasons, signed for Lowestoft but only played a few games for first team and reserves.

Did have a trial with Ipswich when around 18, it was a one gamer against some of their academy lads. Guessed who marked me? The Beat. I didn't get a kick, he was awesome and a couple of years younger than me. Warky, Burley and Gates also played in that game.

In the Lowestoft Sunday league I played against Terry Butcher. I was around 19, he's 4 years younger than me and was playing for Fen Park. Again, didn't get a sniff, he was simply outstanding and it was obvious even at around 15 that he was going to make it as a pro.
Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 07:34 - Apr 12 with 824 viewsBuhrer

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 20:33 - Apr 11 by Swansea_Blue

A right sod, wasn’t it. It got me out of cross country though (and all school sports for a couple of years - not a good time). Although that’s ironic, as I love trail running now.

I found out after I’d got over it that Alan Hansen suffered from it as he was coming through. That made me wish I’d put a bit more effort into coming back as soon as possible and trying to get going again. But I didn’t have the drive and then 6th form and beer, concerts and girls came along.

I got Osgood schlatters also, agonising, when I was 15ish and by 16 this had stopped me doing PE, being incredibly cool i had moved on to smoking B&H on the sidelines instead of sports, and eating ibuprofen to still play football all of my breaks on my swollen knees. Knocked my swimming on the head about the same time and started spending weekends drinking etc. Twtd.
Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 08:06 - Apr 12 with 784 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Saturdays SIL senior, Sundays played in both Ipswich leagues over the years, majority in the Licence Trade Prem - got picked for the representative team. Saturdays played wide midfield. Sundays centre mid. Did a hammy and started watching Town, only Sundays after that. I’d very much like to be say 27 again and have one more season running off a hangover and then in the pub for lunchtime into afternoon and sometimes into evening session with the boys. Great days.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 08:08 - Apr 12 with 778 viewsDanTheMan

Played for my university as a Goalkeeper in their 3rd / 4th team.

I wasn't very good.

That's about it.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Who is, or was, the best footballer on here.......? on 09:38 - Apr 12 with 710 viewsnoggin

Benters was a right wing legend for Bentley Green.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

There are some superb responses here on 09:40 - Apr 12 with 711 viewsDyland

Nice one Blooters, top thread.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024