Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Got to feel sorry for middle england 10:55 - Mar 5 with 7154 viewsHelp

https://amp.theguardian.com/business/2024/mar/04/middle-class-workers-mortgages-

Imagine not being able to live on £74k a year
Got to feel sorry for middle england on 11:06 - Mar 5 with 3539 viewspointofblue

Reading that is seems like the biggest issue is the housing market - particularly in the south of the country.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Got to feel sorry for middle england on 11:10 - Mar 5 with 3527 viewsGuthrum

So he's whingeing about having "only" £300 spare money a month after all bills, food, leases and loans are paid? Feck me, some people don't know they're born.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Got to feel sorry for middle england on 11:19 - Mar 5 with 3478 viewsChurchman

Got to feel sorry for middle england on 11:06 - Mar 5 by pointofblue

Reading that is seems like the biggest issue is the housing market - particularly in the south of the country.

Well, if you want your own home to when you are young it costs. It always did. And with it comes sacrifices.

On that income at that age he’s doing very nicely compared to the majority. He has choices, many do not. He has also made lifestyle choices. If the article is for real, my sympathies lie elsewhere.
Got to feel sorry for middle england on 11:25 - Mar 5 with 3448 viewsbluelagos

Got to feel sorry for middle england on 11:10 - Mar 5 by Guthrum

So he's whingeing about having "only" £300 spare money a month after all bills, food, leases and loans are paid? Feck me, some people don't know they're born.

Mixed feelings tbh. Plenty of youngsters have gone to Uni / taken on huge debts / built a career in a profession and due to the cost of housing are now facing nothing more than a slog to keep their heads above water.

Of course some are entitled little pricks too - but that doesn't get away from the fact that financially youngsters have a really hard time of it if they want to get a half decent home for a young family. Certainly far harder than when I graduated.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Got to feel sorry for middle england on 11:59 - Mar 5 with 3354 viewsDanTheMan

Got to feel sorry for middle england on 11:19 - Mar 5 by Churchman

Well, if you want your own home to when you are young it costs. It always did. And with it comes sacrifices.

On that income at that age he’s doing very nicely compared to the majority. He has choices, many do not. He has also made lifestyle choices. If the article is for real, my sympathies lie elsewhere.

I'm not sure they are asking for sympathy here, at least that's not what I got from the article.

I think the issue is more that everyone except those at the very top has been incredibly squeezed. In the top 10% of earners, you'd expect to live incredibly comfortably but that isn't the case anymore. Housing is the biggest issue but everything has ballooned in price.

If people like them cannot afford homes then it has a big impact on the next generation.

I'm around this person's salary and I'm comfortable but I also live in a very cheap part of the country and do not have children. I should feel practically rich but the person in that article is right, I don't. And it's not like I'm spending money frivolously, one cheap car between the two of us, I don't have any expensive hobbies, we don't go on lots of holidays and the ones we do go on are bang on average in terms of cost. Our house is below the average price. We've recently been looking to move so that we could have children and have the space for them but mortgages for that sort of money are going to be around £1500 a month we reckon. And we have a very good whack of equity.

It should go without saying that again, not asking for sympathy here and any sympathy should be with those people who are really struggling. I came from a struggling family, I've been there. I think what is worrying though is that the very rich are squeezing the middle class constantly.

Oh and quickly there as well, saying housing always costs a lot when you're young is honestly a bit silly. House prices vs wage growth have gone completely out of control over the past 20-30 years. People used to say "Well you've got low interest rates so it's not bad" a few years ago but now we don't even have that to lean on. At one point in 2022, house prices were at the worst ratio compared to earnings that they had been in 150 years.
[Post edited 5 Mar 12:23]

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Got to feel sorry for middle england on 12:10 - Mar 5 with 3323 viewsGuthrum

Got to feel sorry for middle england on 11:25 - Mar 5 by bluelagos

Mixed feelings tbh. Plenty of youngsters have gone to Uni / taken on huge debts / built a career in a profession and due to the cost of housing are now facing nothing more than a slog to keep their heads above water.

Of course some are entitled little pricks too - but that doesn't get away from the fact that financially youngsters have a really hard time of it if they want to get a half decent home for a young family. Certainly far harder than when I graduated.

All true. But many have to get by on considerably less than what he's complaining about.

Plus one wonders if they have a house full of entertainment technology (and the associated subscriptions), go on foreign holidays, eat out/takeway/delivery and other luxuries which eat into their funds. Those things are nice, but hardly breadline essentials. There's a wide gulf between "not being able to live the comfortable life you wanted" and "not knowing if you can pay the rent and feed yourself".

Got to feel sorry for middle england on 12:19 - Mar 5 with 3288 viewsNthQldITFC

Got to feel sorry for middle england on 12:10 - Mar 5 by Guthrum

All true. But many have to get by on considerably less than what he's complaining about.

Plus one wonders if they have a house full of entertainment technology (and the associated subscriptions), go on foreign holidays, eat out/takeway/delivery and other luxuries which eat into their funds. Those things are nice, but hardly breadline essentials. There's a wide gulf between "not being able to live the comfortable life you wanted" and "not knowing if you can pay the rent and feed yourself".

There's also this rabid entitlement attitude to be able to do all of these things to excess... on a planet which is dying because of our excesses.

(Don't tell me that, I don't want to hear it, it spoils my enjoyment of life!)

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Got to feel sorry for middle england on 12:23 - Mar 5 with 3260 viewsGuthrum

Got to feel sorry for middle england on 11:59 - Mar 5 by DanTheMan

I'm not sure they are asking for sympathy here, at least that's not what I got from the article.

I think the issue is more that everyone except those at the very top has been incredibly squeezed. In the top 10% of earners, you'd expect to live incredibly comfortably but that isn't the case anymore. Housing is the biggest issue but everything has ballooned in price.

If people like them cannot afford homes then it has a big impact on the next generation.

I'm around this person's salary and I'm comfortable but I also live in a very cheap part of the country and do not have children. I should feel practically rich but the person in that article is right, I don't. And it's not like I'm spending money frivolously, one cheap car between the two of us, I don't have any expensive hobbies, we don't go on lots of holidays and the ones we do go on are bang on average in terms of cost. Our house is below the average price. We've recently been looking to move so that we could have children and have the space for them but mortgages for that sort of money are going to be around £1500 a month we reckon. And we have a very good whack of equity.

It should go without saying that again, not asking for sympathy here and any sympathy should be with those people who are really struggling. I came from a struggling family, I've been there. I think what is worrying though is that the very rich are squeezing the middle class constantly.

Oh and quickly there as well, saying housing always costs a lot when you're young is honestly a bit silly. House prices vs wage growth have gone completely out of control over the past 20-30 years. People used to say "Well you've got low interest rates so it's not bad" a few years ago but now we don't even have that to lean on. At one point in 2022, house prices were at the worst ratio compared to earnings that they had been in 150 years.

The problem is more that things have been very cheap for a considerable time. First the end of cheap oil in the 1970s and now the end of cheap gas, accompanied by repeated investment crises have finished off the post-War/tech boom. The wealthy are just trying to gobble up the scraps that are left.

This is the new reality and more a return to the historical norm where most people rented, scraped by and luxuries were for the rich.

Login to get fewer ads

Got to feel sorry for middle england on 12:23 - Mar 5 with 3252 viewsChurchman

So what exactly is he asking for then, if it’s not sympathy and more of the pie?

£74k is a good income. Top 10%. As I say, that gives him choice. People with less do not. They too have families and a need to live somewhere. I too live in this country so fully understand the impact of inflation and the reasons for it. I also know what it’s like in the past to have to account for every penny and live hand to mouth.

My point is that the article might have carried more value if the subject was not a 28 year old with a good income, a house and good job prospects (the opportunities for a good software engineer are huge, despite what the article says).

With regard to the redistribution of wealth to the very rich, your point is I think correct. Of course that’s what they want. A clear division between privilege and the lumpen mass; ‘the rough’. All very pre-Victorian.

Economically, you could argue the so called middle classes are the ones they should be enriching as their money, unlike the Uber-wealthy, goes back into the economy. But we have a government where bogus ideology comes first.
Got to feel sorry for middle england on 12:28 - Mar 5 with 3231 viewsleitrimblue

Sorry, I have to ask, does anyone knew whats the weekly unemployment benefit rate in the UK?
Got to feel sorry for middle england on 12:33 - Mar 5 with 3214 viewsgiant_stow

similar article on the beeb, for interest: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68448107

As someone above says, a lot of this depends on housing costs. If you get lucky there with gifted / inherited money or you're lucky enough to live in a cheap part of the country, but with a well paid job, you're doing ok.
[Post edited 5 Mar 12:33]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Got to feel sorry for middle england on 12:33 - Mar 5 with 3211 viewsxrayspecs

Was struck by how young he is. I left Uni 30 years ago, and had pretty much zero net income until late twenties, after paying off student loan and general renting/living expenses. I did not own a car until I was 30 and we did not buy a properrty nor have kids until I was 33, and we both had professional jobs.

My eldest is early 20s and I get a sense that the expectations of this generation about both lifestyle and material possessions are a lot higher now then when I was their age. This was also pre-mobile phone, streaming services, personal expresso machines (!), and all the other stuff they have accumulated and spend money on.
Got to feel sorry for middle england on 12:34 - Mar 5 with 3202 viewsDanTheMan

Got to feel sorry for middle england on 12:23 - Mar 5 by Churchman

So what exactly is he asking for then, if it’s not sympathy and more of the pie?

£74k is a good income. Top 10%. As I say, that gives him choice. People with less do not. They too have families and a need to live somewhere. I too live in this country so fully understand the impact of inflation and the reasons for it. I also know what it’s like in the past to have to account for every penny and live hand to mouth.

My point is that the article might have carried more value if the subject was not a 28 year old with a good income, a house and good job prospects (the opportunities for a good software engineer are huge, despite what the article says).

With regard to the redistribution of wealth to the very rich, your point is I think correct. Of course that’s what they want. A clear division between privilege and the lumpen mass; ‘the rough’. All very pre-Victorian.

Economically, you could argue the so called middle classes are the ones they should be enriching as their money, unlike the Uber-wealthy, goes back into the economy. But we have a government where bogus ideology comes first.

I don't know what he's asking for without talking to him, we have a couple of quotes in the newspaper. Even a tax cut is unlikely to make a difference to him.

I'm aware of the earnings potential of good software engineers, seeing as I am one (or at least I like to think I'm OK). He's probably about 5-10k off his maximum assuming he wants to accept some line management responsibilities and given his location. You could earn more in London but that requires moving to London or doing incredibly long commutes on unreliable public transport.

He obviously doesn't have it bad, as Guthrum says he's not on the breadline. I think my point is more that given his wage you would think he'd be living a very comfortable lifestyle even with kids. That is no longer the case which I can empathise with.

Got to feel sorry for middle england on 12:37 - Mar 5 with 3178 viewsTootingTown

I don't get the impression he is asking anyone to feel sorry for him. Obviously people on lower incomes have it a lot tougher.
But I do think it's highlighting a few issues that apply a lot of people in the same boat. Essentially they have a household income of 74k.
His wife hasn't gone back to work to look after their two children. The extremely expensive childcare costs are not helping this, especially if you don't have grandparents or dependents to help you.
Inflation/ high interest rates- has squeezed everyone. But with fiscal drag, the middle earners are paying more taxes, higher mortgage rates, more for heating bills etc. At the end of the day, you budget in line with your earnings. In the last two years, there has been an extreme unexpected financial squeeze for everyone. Especially bad timing if you've just had children.
I think we have an issue in this country for wasting time in pointing and shouting at who has it worse etc. Rather than actually putting that energy into who is causing this issues in the first place...
Got to feel sorry for middle england on 12:53 - Mar 5 with 3041 viewsnoggin

The poor can't get much poorer (can they?), the middle earners are losing spending power, while the rich are increasing theirs. There seems to be a pattern forming.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Got to feel sorry for middle england on 13:01 - Mar 5 with 2987 viewsSwansea_Blue

Got to feel sorry for middle england on 12:23 - Mar 5 by Churchman

It's top 10% for an individual, but as it sounds like it's supporting a family of four I can imagine it doesn't stretch as far as people would think. By the time you take into account the tax profile of a single higher wage, the take home is probably comparable to a couple both earning the average wage. If anything, it just demonstrates how expensive everything is getting if an undeniably good wage doesn't stretch to things like holidays (although I'm sure they could afford to go camping - it's good enough for a lot of people when they're starting out!).

As you say though, there are plenty of households far worse off. So I'm not really sure what the point of the article is.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Got to feel sorry for middle england on 13:08 - Mar 5 with 2953 viewsJakeITFC

We are in a not dissimilar position and my overall takeaway is I don't know how people on genuine low incomes are able to survive. Running a house with kids on a couple of average salaries must be incredibly difficult right now - there is no respite from how expensive the mortgage/rent is, household bills, council tax increasing, supermarket shopping etc.

I completely emphasise with someone reading the article above and thinking that they'd kill for £75k gross a year, but as the guy alludes to for him it's just a slightly better way of surviving.

(Just to be clear this is not a woe is me post but a fuccking hell something has got to change here or the country is going to fall apart one).
Got to feel sorry for middle england on 13:10 - Mar 5 with 2919 viewschicoazul

Got to feel sorry for middle england on 11:10 - Mar 5 by Guthrum

This is precisely the attitude our elite class wish to propagate, and is part of the reason why nothing will change. They want us at each others throats over this.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Got to feel sorry for middle england on 13:11 - Mar 5 with 2899 viewsDanTheMan

Got to feel sorry for middle england on 13:08 - Mar 5 by JakeITFC

We are in a not dissimilar position and my overall takeaway is I don't know how people on genuine low incomes are able to survive. Running a house with kids on a couple of average salaries must be incredibly difficult right now - there is no respite from how expensive the mortgage/rent is, household bills, council tax increasing, supermarket shopping etc.

I completely emphasise with someone reading the article above and thinking that they'd kill for £75k gross a year, but as the guy alludes to for him it's just a slightly better way of surviving.

(Just to be clear this is not a woe is me post but a fuccking hell something has got to change here or the country is going to fall apart one).

I think this a lot about my brother and his family.

The two of them are on low incomes with four kids. They're nearly out of the woods in terms of the last one going to school and they have had a lot of help from my mum for childcare and other things. But even taking away that, I can only assume it's month-to-month living.

Got to feel sorry for middle england on 13:12 - Mar 5 with 2890 viewsnoggin

Got to feel sorry for middle england on 13:10 - Mar 5 by chicoazul

This is precisely the attitude our elite class wish to propagate, and is part of the reason why nothing will change. They want us at each others throats over this.

"elite" is such a horrible word.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Got to feel sorry for middle england on 13:22 - Mar 5 with 2793 viewsstonojnr

Got to feel sorry for middle england on 12:37 - Mar 5 by TootingTown

I don't get the impression he is asking anyone to feel sorry for him. Obviously people on lower incomes have it a lot tougher.
But I do think it's highlighting a few issues that apply a lot of people in the same boat. Essentially they have a household income of 74k.
His wife hasn't gone back to work to look after their two children. The extremely expensive childcare costs are not helping this, especially if you don't have grandparents or dependents to help you.
Inflation/ high interest rates- has squeezed everyone. But with fiscal drag, the middle earners are paying more taxes, higher mortgage rates, more for heating bills etc. At the end of the day, you budget in line with your earnings. In the last two years, there has been an extreme unexpected financial squeeze for everyone. Especially bad timing if you've just had children.
I think we have an issue in this country for wasting time in pointing and shouting at who has it worse etc. Rather than actually putting that energy into who is causing this issues in the first place...

but his quotes are revealing, "the couple’s mortgage uses up more than a third of Scott’s take-home pay"

well a third of your outgoings per month, that used to be the standard for mortgage repayments you were told to aim for,some lenders wouldnt let you take a mortgage if you couldnt afford that much, though some also let you extend to a half, though that was very risky, but a third shouldnt be considered outrageous by any means.

500 per month on shopping, family of 4 thats about right, maybe bit under. 300 on loans, a student loan so its interest free, again probably about right for most familys credit situation, and they lease a car, though dont say how much, but car leasing is an expensive way to own a car, so that fits firmly in the choice category as opposed to most other bills you have to pay to live.

on 4.3k take home after tax, that accounts for about half of his money, so whats he doing with the 1700 left, to only leave 300 at the end of the month ?

and if he thinks he's struggling on 74k, just wait till he sees what life with his pension is going to be like.

Chloe is another one, mentions she has stopped buying new clothes, by which she probably means she stopped repeatedly buying new clothes, instead of only buying new clothes she needed. Rose and her no more Sunday roasts. Lillian and her partner bought a do-er upper house, dont these people watch Grand Designs, which has cost them 25k more.

or Lee budgeting 1k per month on food, at Aldi !?!? and petrol. seriously what are you doing spending that much on food and petrol ?

love their final quote "We occasionally go to Wetherspoon’s for breakfast. I often think: ‘Is this it?’” love a Wetherspoons breakfast myself, but how terribly middle class is that :)

Im not here to tell everyone they are spending their money wrongly, its their money they can do whatever they like with it. but I do think theres alot of financial naivety being displayed by the people in that article, and a tax cut certainly wont solve any of their problems.
Got to feel sorry for middle england on 13:23 - Mar 5 with 2787 viewsSimonds92

74k is a decent household income if you bought your house for 50p. If you purchased your house in the past few years, its not enough to be able to live off.
Got to feel sorry for middle england on 13:24 - Mar 5 with 2777 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Got to feel sorry for middle england on 13:12 - Mar 5 by noggin

"elite" is such a horrible word.

“Dictionary
Definitions from Oxford Languages · Learn more
noun
a select group that is superior in terms of ability or qualities to the rest of a group or society.”

I assume Chico was using English irony - certainly doesn’t apply to the chinless wonders Eton are churning out, and are currently in government…
[Post edited 5 Mar 13:26]
Got to feel sorry for middle england on 13:28 - Mar 5 with 2728 viewsChurchman

Got to feel sorry for middle england on 13:01 - Mar 5 by Swansea_Blue

It's top 10% for an individual, but as it sounds like it's supporting a family of four I can imagine it doesn't stretch as far as people would think. By the time you take into account the tax profile of a single higher wage, the take home is probably comparable to a couple both earning the average wage. If anything, it just demonstrates how expensive everything is getting if an undeniably good wage doesn't stretch to things like holidays (although I'm sure they could afford to go camping - it's good enough for a lot of people when they're starting out!).

As you say though, there are plenty of households far worse off. So I'm not really sure what the point of the article is.

Me neither, Swansea.

I had to laugh at the camping holiday reference - it’s exactly what Mrs C and I did (with a borrowed tent) when we started out. That and any form of cheapest holiday you could do - turn up at the airport and get a ticket to somewhere unknown for a week. The risk of the goatherders shed on a rock somewhere was good fun looking back. We didn’t care.

And I’m fully aware of how far £74k goes and what it means in net income.
Got to feel sorry for middle england on 13:29 - Mar 5 with 2715 viewsDanTheMan

Got to feel sorry for middle england on 13:22 - Mar 5 by stonojnr

but his quotes are revealing, "the couple’s mortgage uses up more than a third of Scott’s take-home pay"

well a third of your outgoings per month, that used to be the standard for mortgage repayments you were told to aim for,some lenders wouldnt let you take a mortgage if you couldnt afford that much, though some also let you extend to a half, though that was very risky, but a third shouldnt be considered outrageous by any means.

500 per month on shopping, family of 4 thats about right, maybe bit under. 300 on loans, a student loan so its interest free, again probably about right for most familys credit situation, and they lease a car, though dont say how much, but car leasing is an expensive way to own a car, so that fits firmly in the choice category as opposed to most other bills you have to pay to live.

on 4.3k take home after tax, that accounts for about half of his money, so whats he doing with the 1700 left, to only leave 300 at the end of the month ?

and if he thinks he's struggling on 74k, just wait till he sees what life with his pension is going to be like.

Chloe is another one, mentions she has stopped buying new clothes, by which she probably means she stopped repeatedly buying new clothes, instead of only buying new clothes she needed. Rose and her no more Sunday roasts. Lillian and her partner bought a do-er upper house, dont these people watch Grand Designs, which has cost them 25k more.

or Lee budgeting 1k per month on food, at Aldi !?!? and petrol. seriously what are you doing spending that much on food and petrol ?

love their final quote "We occasionally go to Wetherspoon’s for breakfast. I often think: ‘Is this it?’” love a Wetherspoons breakfast myself, but how terribly middle class is that :)

Im not here to tell everyone they are spending their money wrongly, its their money they can do whatever they like with it. but I do think theres alot of financial naivety being displayed by the people in that article, and a tax cut certainly wont solve any of their problems.

"a student loan so its interest free"

Quick note, it's not interest free. As he's on plan 2 it'll be 7.7%. I would imagine he'll be in his 40s by the time he's finished paying that off.

I imagine his life will also be easier once he's on a pension as he won't have children or a mortgage. Of course, that assumes he's putting a load of additional money into his pension plan (which we're told to do) which means even less money coming in each month. He better hope the companies he works for our generous with their contributions, as most aren't.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024