Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
General Election now (n/t) 07:17 - Feb 16 with 2082 viewsitfcjoe

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

General Election now (n/t) on 07:28 - Feb 16 with 2048 viewsgtsb1966

Unfortunately we are all going to have to wait another 9 months.
[Post edited 16 Feb 7:28]
General Election now (n/t) on 07:29 - Feb 16 with 2042 viewsSitfcB

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

General Election now (n/t) on 07:40 - Feb 16 with 1999 viewsDubtractor

General Election now (n/t) on 07:28 - Feb 16 by gtsb1966

Unfortunately we are all going to have to wait another 9 months.
[Post edited 16 Feb 7:28]

It'll be October or November this year.

Edit: just realised that is basically 9 months, so yes I agree!
[Post edited 16 Feb 7:40]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

General Election now (n/t) on 07:47 - Feb 16 with 1964 viewsbluelagos

Turkeys don't vote for christmas. Can't see any election before the autumn.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

General Election now (n/t) on 07:51 - Feb 16 with 1940 viewshype313

General Election now (n/t) on 07:47 - Feb 16 by bluelagos

Can kicking exercise now though isn't it, nothing the Tories can, or will do, will move the needle.

People have made up their minds, seems futile to spend 9 months twiddling their fingers, making things worse in some delusional thinking that they can save the sinking ship.

They're done, toast, finished.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

General Election now (n/t) on 07:53 - Feb 16 with 1920 viewstomo

They did in 2016.
General Election now (n/t) on 08:07 - Feb 16 with 1849 viewsITFC_Forever

I'm not sure the day after two crushing by-election defeats is the day a GE will be called.

We all know it should be, but they will drag it out as long as possible.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

General Election now (n/t) on 08:16 - Feb 16 with 1804 viewsDJR

The last possible date for a general election is 28 January 2025, so unless the polls improve, I could see the Tories holding out until then.
[Post edited 16 Feb 8:17]
Login to get fewer ads

General Election now (n/t) on 08:18 - Feb 16 with 1778 viewsElephantintheRoom

Nothing that a good war won’t fix.

The plan is working. Labour doesn’t have a plan. A vote for Labour is a vote for terrorists and antisemitism etc.

Doubt Labour will win Rochdale without a candidate either.

Bear in mind that 25% of the good folk of Wellingborough saw fit to vote for Bone’s girlfriend and the Ukippers took the protest vote that used to go to the LibDems whilst 60% plus of voters stated at home I wouldn’t get too excited just yet.

But the thought of Rees-Smug losing his seat should sustain most folk for the next 9 months.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

General Election now (n/t) on 08:21 - Feb 16 with 1755 viewsBlueRaider

The best way to have got an early election would have been if the tories had won the by elections

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

General Election now (n/t) on 08:23 - Feb 16 with 1745 viewsNthQldITFC

As individuals, every T*ry MP ought to be looking at themselves and saying "Do I put the myself, the Party, or the country first?" - If they're a conservative Conservative, they need to do the latter and agitate for a GE now. If not, they're betraying the country, the Party and themselves.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

General Election now (n/t) on 09:47 - Feb 16 with 1532 viewsbluelagos

General Election now (n/t) on 07:51 - Feb 16 by hype313

Can kicking exercise now though isn't it, nothing the Tories can, or will do, will move the needle.

People have made up their minds, seems futile to spend 9 months twiddling their fingers, making things worse in some delusional thinking that they can save the sinking ship.

They're done, toast, finished.

Fair few Tory backbenchers are facing unemployment - so £80k for the rest of year probably looks more appealing.

Same for ministers who at best face losing their ministerial salary - at worst their seats too.

Absolutely agree with your sentiments (and others) on this thread. But I just don't see it happening. 9-10 more months of stagnating ineffective government before a kicking at the ballot box.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

General Election now (n/t) on 09:55 - Feb 16 with 1496 viewsGuthrum

General Election now (n/t) on 08:18 - Feb 16 by ElephantintheRoom

Nothing that a good war won’t fix.

The plan is working. Labour doesn’t have a plan. A vote for Labour is a vote for terrorists and antisemitism etc.

Doubt Labour will win Rochdale without a candidate either.

Bear in mind that 25% of the good folk of Wellingborough saw fit to vote for Bone’s girlfriend and the Ukippers took the protest vote that used to go to the LibDems whilst 60% plus of voters stated at home I wouldn’t get too excited just yet.

But the thought of Rees-Smug losing his seat should sustain most folk for the next 9 months.

Low turnouts - which are usual in by-elections* - tend to favour smaller and, particularly, activist parties. They are more engaged and thus the core support, who are most likely to actually turn out to vote, is closer in size to the rump of Labour and the Conservatives (activists and habituals). That then gets swamped in a General Election with turnouts which have been steadily increasing back towards 70% since the low point of 2001.

It's why UKIP always had so many MEPs, as turnouts for EU elections were always low in the UK. Their supporters cared about (getting rid of) the organisation, for those of the major parties it was just background music to Westminster.

* As posted in another thread, the possibility of overturning or extending the existing government in a General Election is probably what motivates nearly double the turnout. 35-40% is quite usual for a by-election, sometimes lower even than that where the outcome is neither controversial nor clearly in doubt.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

General Election now (n/t) on 10:39 - Feb 16 with 1368 viewsandytown

Can you imagine what it’ll be like in the media with a GE and US Presidential one at the same time…
General Election now (n/t) on 11:23 - Feb 16 with 1295 viewsSwansea_Blue

General Election now (n/t) on 10:39 - Feb 16 by andytown

Can you imagine what it’ll be like in the media with a GE and US Presidential one at the same time…

Smear-tastic! It’ll be grim, but it’s pretty easy to ignore.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

General Election now (n/t) on 11:40 - Feb 16 with 1257 viewsbaxterbasics

Only way it will be sooner is if they are gambling on some sort of budget bribe or unexpected good news to be followed up by a May election. But at this point, Sunak could personally negotiate a long term settlement in Israel and donate his wifes entire fortune to the NHS and still lose. Brand is too damaged, big shades of '97 here, albeit without the same levels of enthusiasm for Labour as there was then.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

General Election now (n/t) on 11:48 - Feb 16 with 1201 viewsGuthrum

General Election now (n/t) on 11:40 - Feb 16 by baxterbasics

Only way it will be sooner is if they are gambling on some sort of budget bribe or unexpected good news to be followed up by a May election. But at this point, Sunak could personally negotiate a long term settlement in Israel and donate his wifes entire fortune to the NHS and still lose. Brand is too damaged, big shades of '97 here, albeit without the same levels of enthusiasm for Labour as there was then.

I think the events of the early-to-mid 2000s have made people (and Labour planners) very wary of Blair-style populism. Plus the worldwide economic situation does not allow for easy solutions. Labour's main USP for this election is steady competence, which isn't very flashy.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

General Election now (n/t) on 12:07 - Feb 16 with 1156 viewsElderGrizzly

I arrive in the US 2 days after the Presidential election. That could be interesting...
General Election now (n/t) on 12:19 - Feb 16 with 1131 viewsbaxterbasics

General Election now (n/t) on 11:48 - Feb 16 by Guthrum

I think the events of the early-to-mid 2000s have made people (and Labour planners) very wary of Blair-style populism. Plus the worldwide economic situation does not allow for easy solutions. Labour's main USP for this election is steady competence, which isn't very flashy.

True, but I for one would quite welcome some boring steady competence. May be the best we can hope for after a turbulent decade or so.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

General Election now (n/t) on 12:26 - Feb 16 with 1094 viewsleitrimblue

Yer it's gonna be really exciting voting in the red tories and watching minimal to no change.
Sorry, Sorry, there may be the slightest change
The Red tories are probably slightly less corrupt.
General Election now (n/t) on 13:01 - Feb 16 with 1015 viewsDevereuxxx

This is probably playing a fairly significant role in when the election will be held.

Labour would probably like the election to be held before the US election, as if it happens after, then a whole load of attention could turn to 'So Mr Starmer, how do you intend to deal with President Trump?', which would suck a whole load of air out of the campaign.

For the Tories it matters slightly less, but you can still see Sunak getting some awkward questions about working alongside Trump. If Sunak and Trump are in power in 2025, something has gone disastrously wrong.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024