Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If we don't go up this season..... 12:49 - Feb 6 with 6350 viewsBlueBlood90

How likely do you think it is it that McKenna would stay?

Poll: Do you think we have a stronger squad this season or last season?

If we don't go up this season..... on 12:54 - Feb 6 with 4380 viewsJimmyJazz

It depends on who, if anyone, approaches him. Not sure there's much difference on whether we do or don't go up this season.

If we don't, but are close, this season i'm sure he'll want to succeed next season

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

If we don't go up this season..... on 13:20 - Feb 6 with 4237 viewsZapers

Where's he going to go?

I very much doubt one of the big clubs would be interested in him yet, I don't think he would be experienced enough to deal with all aspects of a top premiership club.

I don't see him going to a club like Palace, surely they are smaller than Ipswich, especially if one day we get a new stand increasing capacity to circa 35K.

I think the man is hugely ambitious, he wont want a ceiling that smaller clubs like Palace and Norwich offer.(Sorry i couldn't resist the dig at our smaller neighbour;))

I suspect that at ipswich he could earn a decent wedge, so i don't see that as a potential problem. Also he has a house and children in school, and we all know how disruptive it can be keep changing schools for our children.

Of course i might be wrong, but in this instant, i don't think so.
If we don't go up this season..... on 13:20 - Feb 6 with 4235 viewsNthQldITFC

I think one (or maybe two) more seasons in the Championship, at a progressive club who are supporting him financially would be optimum (including better than going up this season) for his personal career progression. Not that he would be disappointed to get promoted this year!

At his age there's no hurry, and you build a stronger house by doing a thorough job on the foundations. His own project, fantastic support, less pressure, a thoroughly bought-in and attentive squad...

Some people will answer "of course he'll go if someone offers him ten times his salary here, durr!", but people who say that don't understand that some of us think that there are things which are FAR more important than money, especially if you've already got quite a lot of money!

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

If we don't go up this season..... on 13:33 - Feb 6 with 4144 viewsjayessess

Quite likely, I would say.

Don't think there's a huge venn diagram of clubs who pose a real danger to us:

Nothing he can do in the Championship which would make him appointable for the Big 6, plus Newcastle or Aston Villa.

I don't think he'd take a job at a club that's markedly smaller than us in terms of fanbase, but who happen to be in the Premier League right at this moment. That's Bournemouth, Luton out.

Burnley and Sheff Utd are doomed obviously.

He wouldn't take a job where the owners are wildly incompetent, so not Everton, maybe not Forest or Crystal Palace either.

If we've missed out, you'd expect the incumbents at Leicester, Leeds and Southampton to still be in post having won promotion.

That leaves Brighton, Brentford, Fulham, Wolves, West Ham, maybe Palace or Forest.

Seven clubs and how likely are they to have a Summer vacancy? Most sackings are mid-season, there were 4 vacancies last Summer (Chelsea, Spurs, Bournemouth, Wolves). It would take a combo of the right club having a Summer vacancy and also wanting to appoint McKenna, which is quite a lot of pieces to fall into place.

First international break in 2023-24 would probably be the danger zone (assuming that McKenna surrendering a 10-point promotion lead and losing to a Step 2 team in the FA Cup hasn't blotted his copybook for the kind of job he wants).

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

If we don't go up this season..... on 13:57 - Feb 6 with 3976 viewsFrimleyBlue

Getting more likely.

He'd be the first manager to not get promoted with 50 odd points in December.
We've lost to Maidstone at home
Had a run of 1 win in 8 and dropped a 10 point gap

Etc etc

Which is great for us long term as it means he can go again next season but make sure we have 2 hirsts.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

If we don't go up this season..... on 13:58 - Feb 6 with 3974 viewsblueislander

If we don't go up this season..... on 13:57 - Feb 6 by FrimleyBlue

Getting more likely.

He'd be the first manager to not get promoted with 50 odd points in December.
We've lost to Maidstone at home
Had a run of 1 win in 8 and dropped a 10 point gap

Etc etc

Which is great for us long term as it means he can go again next season but make sure we have 2 hirsts.

And he could probably offload Burns too.
If we don't go up this season..... on 14:03 - Feb 6 with 3935 viewslazyblue

Very
If we don't go up this season..... on 14:07 - Feb 6 with 3901 viewsHighgateBlue

If we don't go up this season..... on 13:58 - Feb 6 by blueislander

And he could probably offload Burns too.

Or just let him grow his hair back...
Login to get fewer ads

If we don't go up this season..... on 14:16 - Feb 6 with 3829 viewsRimsy

If we don't go up, records will show we threw away a 10 point lead, so I'm sure he would be staying.

BlueBlood

If we don't go up this season..... on 14:22 - Feb 6 with 3791 viewsblueislander

If we don't go up this season..... on 14:16 - Feb 6 by Rimsy

If we don't go up, records will show we threw away a 10 point lead, so I'm sure he would be staying.

You can call it throwing away the lead, but you could give Southamton, Leeds and Leicester credit for their tremendous form.
If we don't go up this season..... on 14:55 - Feb 6 with 3657 viewsSteve_M

If we don't go up this season..... on 14:22 - Feb 6 by blueislander

You can call it throwing away the lead, but you could give Southamton, Leeds and Leicester credit for their tremendous form.

If we finish up achieving over two points a game and that isn't enough for promotion then it will say more about the other sides than any inability to maintain a ridiculously high-achieving start.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

If we don't go up this season..... on 15:26 - Feb 6 with 3538 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

If we don't go up this season..... on 13:33 - Feb 6 by jayessess

Quite likely, I would say.

Don't think there's a huge venn diagram of clubs who pose a real danger to us:

Nothing he can do in the Championship which would make him appointable for the Big 6, plus Newcastle or Aston Villa.

I don't think he'd take a job at a club that's markedly smaller than us in terms of fanbase, but who happen to be in the Premier League right at this moment. That's Bournemouth, Luton out.

Burnley and Sheff Utd are doomed obviously.

He wouldn't take a job where the owners are wildly incompetent, so not Everton, maybe not Forest or Crystal Palace either.

If we've missed out, you'd expect the incumbents at Leicester, Leeds and Southampton to still be in post having won promotion.

That leaves Brighton, Brentford, Fulham, Wolves, West Ham, maybe Palace or Forest.

Seven clubs and how likely are they to have a Summer vacancy? Most sackings are mid-season, there were 4 vacancies last Summer (Chelsea, Spurs, Bournemouth, Wolves). It would take a combo of the right club having a Summer vacancy and also wanting to appoint McKenna, which is quite a lot of pieces to fall into place.

First international break in 2023-24 would probably be the danger zone (assuming that McKenna surrendering a 10-point promotion lead and losing to a Step 2 team in the FA Cup hasn't blotted his copybook for the kind of job he wants).

I think Palace would be tempting. A squad packed full of talented young players. Eze Olise Doucoure Wharton Guehi the pick. And even you sell one of those you are getting a big fee. A stable (most of the time) premier league club.

We might be a 'Bigger' Club. But don't underestimate Premier league pull

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Highly on 15:35 - Feb 6 with 3502 viewsunstableblue

This is Keiran’s project as much as it is Ashton and the ownership group

He’s only been managing for two years and this is the perfect position to hone and learn the craft.

He’ll want to win promotion for this club more than anyone.

Plus I think the academy rebuild, is a real magnet to stay. His design.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

If we don't go up this season..... on 15:49 - Feb 6 with 3429 viewsStu_boy

Ipswich are not a bigger club than crystal palace at this moment in time. They are an established premier league team and have been for the past decade approx. They have a talented squad and will have a vacancy as hodgson will leave this summer if not before. Mckenna will be on their shortlist along with cooper and potter and i could easily see why mckenna would be tempted
If we don't go up this season..... on 16:02 - Feb 6 with 3367 viewsBrentwoodBlagger2

If we don't go up this season..... on 15:49 - Feb 6 by Stu_boy

Ipswich are not a bigger club than crystal palace at this moment in time. They are an established premier league team and have been for the past decade approx. They have a talented squad and will have a vacancy as hodgson will leave this summer if not before. Mckenna will be on their shortlist along with cooper and potter and i could easily see why mckenna would be tempted

Bruce Millington the ex Racing Post guy and Palace fan was on Talksport earlier talking about KcKenna being a summer replacement for Hodgson.
If we don't go up this season..... on 16:03 - Feb 6 with 3356 viewsIllinoisblue

If we don't go up this season..... on 14:55 - Feb 6 by Steve_M

If we finish up achieving over two points a game and that isn't enough for promotion then it will say more about the other sides than any inability to maintain a ridiculously high-achieving start.

Very true although it won’t stop the bedwetters soiling themselves.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

If we don't go up this season..... on 16:05 - Feb 6 with 3339 viewsEastboundSplinter

I don’t think we stand a chance of keeping him if we don’t go up. And I don’t think we could really complain. He’s been a fantastic servant and deserves to continue along his path to the big leagues.
If we don't go up this season..... on 16:23 - Feb 6 with 3243 viewsParky

I’d be extremely surprised if he’s still here next season, should we not go up.

I think it’s a bit naive for our fans to think clubs like Palace are not a step-up from us. They’ve got a fantastic academy, some really good first team players, will likely have cash (especially if they sell Olise).
If we don't go up this season..... on 16:48 - Feb 6 with 3096 viewsCheltenham_Blue

When he signed his new contract. We were just into the league and were widely expected to be mid table with a bit of hope of troubling the play offs and that was what McKenna expected too.

At what point did we decide that if we don't go up, he would definitely move on?
[Post edited 6 Feb 16:48]

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

If we don't go up this season..... on 17:07 - Feb 6 with 3003 viewsIllinoisblue

If we don't go up this season..... on 16:23 - Feb 6 by Parky

I’d be extremely surprised if he’s still here next season, should we not go up.

I think it’s a bit naive for our fans to think clubs like Palace are not a step-up from us. They’ve got a fantastic academy, some really good first team players, will likely have cash (especially if they sell Olise).

That may be true about Palace but what would be the expectation there, win a trophy (not happening), finish top six (not happening). They have reached their ceiling.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

If we don't go up this season..... on 17:16 - Feb 6 with 2966 viewsJimmyJazz

If we don't go up this season..... on 17:07 - Feb 6 by Illinoisblue

That may be true about Palace but what would be the expectation there, win a trophy (not happening), finish top six (not happening). They have reached their ceiling.

Try and reach the same kind of level as West Ham are currently

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

If we don't go up this season..... on 17:30 - Feb 6 with 2927 viewsStu_boy

If we don't go up this season..... on 17:07 - Feb 6 by Illinoisblue

Meanwhile we are a championship club and if mckenna moved on in the summer i suspect it's because we would still be a championship club
If we don't go up this season..... on 17:36 - Feb 6 with 2887 viewsjayessess

If we don't go up this season..... on 17:16 - Feb 6 by JimmyJazz

Try and reach the same kind of level as West Ham are currently

West Ham got gifted a brand new stadium with 68,000 capacity and all the space to generate commercial revenue that comes with that. There's nothing Crystal Palace can realistically do to put themselves on the same level.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

If we don't go up this season..... on 17:56 - Feb 6 with 2771 viewsfranz_tyson

If we don't go up this season..... on 15:49 - Feb 6 by Stu_boy

Exactly. How can we talk about ourselves as bigger than Palace. They've been in the PL for 10 years. We haven't been in the PL for over 20 years. We're getting too far ahead of ourselves. It's not who's got more fans.
If Palace stay up with Hodgson they'll look at someone like McKenna as a replacement over the summer and he'd have a far bigger budget to play with and Palace would be a decent stepping stone to the big clubs. If we don't get promoted McKenna might have to start again with us in rebuilding our side which could take time and getting out of the Championship is a lottery. A job offer in the PL woukd surely be too much of a tempter for him. Hes hot now.... so the smart move would be to take advantage of that. You don't stay hot property as a manager forever.
If we don't go up this season..... on 18:10 - Feb 6 with 2728 viewsDinDjarin

Thin it very much depends on what his roadmap is.

Is still young, has the run of the manor at Ipswich on a tidy salary.

I'm not convinced he would jump and would feel some loyalty to get the job done here after we gave him his first gig.

He does not strike me as a man who would jump ship at the first offer and who knows, he could take a big gig fail miserably and lose some of his reputation in a few short months.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024