Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If we don't go up this season..... 12:49 - Feb 6 with 6488 viewsBlueBlood90

How likely do you think it is it that McKenna would stay?

Poll: How many points will we get from Coventry and Huddersfield?

If we don't go up this season..... on 18:24 - Feb 6 with 1544 viewsjayessess

If we don't go up this season..... on 17:56 - Feb 6 by franz_tyson

Exactly. How can we talk about ourselves as bigger than Palace. They've been in the PL for 10 years. We haven't been in the PL for over 20 years. We're getting too far ahead of ourselves. It's not who's got more fans.
If Palace stay up with Hodgson they'll look at someone like McKenna as a replacement over the summer and he'd have a far bigger budget to play with and Palace would be a decent stepping stone to the big clubs. If we don't get promoted McKenna might have to start again with us in rebuilding our side which could take time and getting out of the Championship is a lottery. A job offer in the PL woukd surely be too much of a tempter for him. Hes hot now.... so the smart move would be to take advantage of that. You don't stay hot property as a manager forever.

Is Crystal Palace a big stepping stone to the big clubs?

Here's the destinations of the last 5 Crystal Palace managers:

Vieira - sacked - Strasbourg
Hodgson - retired
De Boer - sacked - Atlanta United
Allardyce - resigned - Everton
Pardew - sacked - West Brom

If McKenna is convinced, like we are, that his destined for the top, a team like Crystal Palace, where it's close to its ceiling with basically no scope for growth, is a road to nowhere.

As it stands we're clearly a lower status club than Palace, but I don't think that necessarily speaks to what it does for McKenna's trajectory. If he's going to have a shot at a proper elite club, his next job is going to have to be one that has the potential to push towards the European places imo.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

If we don't go up this season..... on 18:27 - Feb 6 with 1541 viewsParky

If we don't go up this season..... on 17:07 - Feb 6 by Illinoisblue

That may be true about Palace but what would be the expectation there, win a trophy (not happening), finish top six (not happening). They have reached their ceiling.

I’d say to start competing for a European spot in a few years. Is their squad that much worse than Brighton, West Ham and say Wolves, who sit in 10th at the minute?

You say they’ve reached their ceiling but have a number of international players, with a good academy likely to bring more through. Olise will likely be sold for I’d guess £100M, then you’ve got Eze, Guehi, Andersen, Doucoure - I’d say they’re underachieving personally.
If we don't go up this season..... on 18:31 - Feb 6 with 1538 viewsTrequartista

I think/hope he would only leave if a club with more potential than we have comes in. So obviously the big 6 in the premier league, Newcastle, Everton, Villa but that's about it. Maybe West Ham or Leeds at a push if they go up.

That would be much more likely to happen if he achieves back to back promotions rather than just have a league one promotion and a failed playoff on his cv.

And I don't see our potential dropping if we don't go up.

So I'd say if anything he's slightly less likely to leave if we don't go up.
[Post edited 6 Feb 18:40]

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

If we don't go up this season..... on 18:46 - Feb 6 with 1506 viewsjayessess

If we don't go up this season..... on 18:27 - Feb 6 by Parky

I’d say to start competing for a European spot in a few years. Is their squad that much worse than Brighton, West Ham and say Wolves, who sit in 10th at the minute?

You say they’ve reached their ceiling but have a number of international players, with a good academy likely to bring more through. Olise will likely be sold for I’d guess £100M, then you’ve got Eze, Guehi, Andersen, Doucoure - I’d say they’re underachieving personally.

Palace play in an old tin shed that holds just over 25,000 fans, which they do not always fill. They are probably the fifth-best supported team in their city. The people that own them aren't conspicuously wealthy by football-club owner standards.

Brighton, Wolves and West Ham don't have such ceilings, they've either already got the trappings of a big club (West Ham) or the potential to draw on a big and growing conurbation. They just have a ceiling those other clubs don't.
[Post edited 6 Feb 18:46]

If we don't go up this season..... on 19:37 - Feb 6 with 1434 viewsle2blue

If we don't go up this season..... on 16:23 - Feb 6 by Parky

I’d be extremely surprised if he’s still here next season, should we not go up.

I think it’s a bit naive for our fans to think clubs like Palace are not a step-up from us. They’ve got a fantastic academy, some really good first team players, will likely have cash (especially if they sell Olise).

Well they’re trying very hard to get him right now. If we don’t go up he’ll almost certainly get an offer he can’t refuse and will be off either there or somewhere else in the prem unfortunately.
If we don't go up this season..... on 19:41 - Feb 6 with 1422 viewsChurchman

I think KM is heavily invested in what’s the club is trying to do. Unless a Spurs or a club at that level comes in, he will do at least another year in my view. He has age on his side and plenty to learn and time/opportunity to do it where he is. Why go to a Crystal Palace type job where their potential is pretty much maxed out?
If we don't go up this season..... on 20:07 - Feb 6 with 1395 viewstractorshark

Palace fans are crying out for someone who can get them playing football.
And it was reported this week Parish had rejected calls to sack Hodgson because he couldn't get a replacement to take over at this point in the season.
I would like to think McKenna will stay with us but I would say it's far from a foregone conclusion if we don't go up.
Brighton, West Ham and Palace would offer him an established Premier League footing, although I think the first two may want someone with a little more experience and standing.
If we don't go up this season..... on 20:08 - Feb 6 with 1392 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Nobody can answer with any certainty- he may stay, he may leave.

One thing is for certain though, he’s a smart guy and he’s not going to go anywhere with erratic ownership, or where he feels out of his depth stepping up to soon. He will do what is sensible and calculated, not move to massage his ego.
Login to get fewer ads

If we don't go up this season..... on 20:11 - Feb 6 with 1382 viewsGarv

If we don't go up this season..... on 18:27 - Feb 6 by Parky

£100m?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

If we don't go up this season..... on 20:26 - Feb 6 with 1370 viewsBigalhunter

If we don't go up this season..... on 19:41 - Feb 6 by Churchman

I think KM is heavily invested in what’s the club is trying to do. Unless a Spurs or a club at that level comes in, he will do at least another year in my view. He has age on his side and plenty to learn and time/opportunity to do it where he is. Why go to a Crystal Palace type job where their potential is pretty much maxed out?

My bigger fear is FFP.

I don’t think we’ll make it automatically this season, and I fear teams like Coventry and even that lot up the road will be too much for us in the play offs.

It will come down to how much we can get for Burns, Broadhead, possibly Davis and Hladky too in the summer, allied to how much the owners are permitted to chuck in.

That will determine how much KM gets to build something stronger for a more sustained and consistent challenge again next season.

The division will hopefully be without Leeds, Leicester and Southampton next time round if we don’t go up.

A couple of financial basket cases coming crashing down allied to some decent spending money should be enough to tempt him to stay for another season at least. We managed to keep Burley season on season despite him being linked with top flight jobs on numerous occasions.

KM’s young enough and smart enough to know the chances will come if it doesn’t work in the next season or so.

One other thing to consider is how much the owners might get offered to let KM go. They’re a business that is ultimately here to create funds for a US pension fund. He might have a bigger financial bounty on his head than any player we could sell…
If we don't go up this season..... on 20:46 - Feb 6 with 1331 viewsVegtablue

If we don't go up this season..... on 18:46 - Feb 6 by jayessess

Palace play in an old tin shed that holds just over 25,000 fans, which they do not always fill. They are probably the fifth-best supported team in their city. The people that own them aren't conspicuously wealthy by football-club owner standards.

Brighton, Wolves and West Ham don't have such ceilings, they've either already got the trappings of a big club (West Ham) or the potential to draw on a big and growing conurbation. They just have a ceiling those other clubs don't.
[Post edited 6 Feb 18:46]

Perhaps a counter to this would involve reflecting on the frequency with which Championship managers break into the PL, outside of doing so through promotion with their own club. I must be missing at least one or two in the past 20 years (surely?!), but the only names I can think of are Lampard, Potter and Jones. Brighton were more precarious hopefuls than sure-fire climbers I think back then, while Lampard was catapulted skywards on account of his playing career and Jones was parachuted in for an abysmal relegation rescue.

If McKenna stayed and financial disadvantages proved too much, or he just didn't get the rub of the green / the tight moments right, every season without promotion would make more remote his opportunity to be signed by any PL side. Far more common in those circumstances is a move to another Championship club, such as a newly relegated one (providing a manager's stock remains high within the division).

I very much hope promotion with us is his only available route! Or at least his most attractive one.
[Post edited 6 Feb 20:49]
If we don't go up this season..... on 20:47 - Feb 6 with 1332 viewsjayessess

If we don't go up this season..... on 20:26 - Feb 6 by Bigalhunter

My bigger fear is FFP.

I don’t think we’ll make it automatically this season, and I fear teams like Coventry and even that lot up the road will be too much for us in the play offs.

It will come down to how much we can get for Burns, Broadhead, possibly Davis and Hladky too in the summer, allied to how much the owners are permitted to chuck in.

That will determine how much KM gets to build something stronger for a more sustained and consistent challenge again next season.

The division will hopefully be without Leeds, Leicester and Southampton next time round if we don’t go up.

A couple of financial basket cases coming crashing down allied to some decent spending money should be enough to tempt him to stay for another season at least. We managed to keep Burley season on season despite him being linked with top flight jobs on numerous occasions.

KM’s young enough and smart enough to know the chances will come if it doesn’t work in the next season or so.

One other thing to consider is how much the owners might get offered to let KM go. They’re a business that is ultimately here to create funds for a US pension fund. He might have a bigger financial bounty on his head than any player we could sell…

Burns and Hladky aren't really sellable assets, they're the wrong age. It would be Davis, Woolfenden, Broadhead (if his mojo returns) and Hirst (if his hamstrings are functional).

Selling Davis would probably be plenty of FFP room on his own and if we're not promoted there's no prospect of us keeping him. Might not be able to even if we go up!

If we don't go up this season..... on 20:59 - Feb 6 with 1314 viewspointofblue

Think it depends how this season ends. If we limp to the finish line then get beaten with relative ease in the play offs, teams may be nervous about picking him up. If we regain form, run a relegated side close in the play offs and only fail due to the insane form off Leicester/Southampton/Leeds then I think he's gone.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

If we don't go up this season..... on 21:14 - Feb 6 with 1281 viewsblueislander

If we don't go up this season..... on 20:47 - Feb 6 by jayessess

Burns and Hladky aren't really sellable assets, they're the wrong age. It would be Davis, Woolfenden, Broadhead (if his mojo returns) and Hirst (if his hamstrings are functional).

Selling Davis would probably be plenty of FFP room on his own and if we're not promoted there's no prospect of us keeping him. Might not be able to even if we go up!

Your first sentence is nonsense. Neither Burns nor Hladky are unsaleable. Many Championship sides would be pleased to have them. Realistically only Davis would attract serious offers from Premier teams at this time..It goes to show just how much McKenna is getting out of this squad of players near their limit.
If we don't go up this season..... on 21:25 - Feb 6 with 1264 viewsjayessess

If we don't go up this season..... on 21:14 - Feb 6 by blueislander

Your first sentence is nonsense. Neither Burns nor Hladky are unsaleable. Many Championship sides would be pleased to have them. Realistically only Davis would attract serious offers from Premier teams at this time..It goes to show just how much McKenna is getting out of this squad of players near their limit.

Well, first up, Hladky's contract expires in June, so he is definitely not a sellable asset (and no footballer in the world signs a new contract so you can sell them 3 months later, that isn't how things work).

Wes Burns is a 29-year-old forward with 4 Championship goals and 1 assist to his name in his entire career. This is not a category of player that is worth significant money to anyone. There are next to zero transfers featuring players like that moving for significant money.

If we don't go up this season..... on 21:28 - Feb 6 with 1254 viewspatrickswell

Pretty certain. He’s building something here, and I see no sign that we wouldn’t remain “competitive” in terms of squad building and working towards promotion.
If we don't go up this season..... on 21:41 - Feb 6 with 1212 viewsBigalhunter

If we don't go up this season..... on 20:47 - Feb 6 by jayessess

Yes, I guess Hladky would have gone in the Jan window if we wanted to start balancing the books.
Didn’t realise he was that near the end of his contract.
I think Burns is still an attractive championship option despite his age.
We need Graeme Souness to get a job in the Championship.
He was known for buying players on video evidence. One look at that worldly against Coventry and he’d happily spaff £3m of some unsuspecting owner’s cash on our Wes.

If we don't go up this season..... on 21:42 - Feb 6 with 1211 viewsblueislander

If we don't go up this season..... on 21:25 - Feb 6 by jayessess

Well, first up, Hladky's contract expires in June, so he is definitely not a sellable asset (and no footballer in the world signs a new contract so you can sell them 3 months later, that isn't how things work).

Wes Burns is a 29-year-old forward with 4 Championship goals and 1 assist to his name in his entire career. This is not a category of player that is worth significant money to anyone. There are next to zero transfers featuring players like that moving for significant money.

Depends what you define as significant amounts, but to say they are unsaleable is not correct.
If we don't go up this season..... on 22:05 - Feb 6 with 1190 viewsPioneerBlue

I don’t know why so many people feel like KMck would or should be in such a hurry. He’s taken 15 years ish to get to this stage. His cv is impeccable, why jump at any prem job when he is a career coach?

He’s managed/coached for c2 1/2 years by the summer. He’s not even experienced/ demonstrated how his side reacts to a period of losses. I’m sure there will be a moment when momentum slows and that could be soon, but with a sale or two he gets to invest this summer too.

I also know things can change quickly in football, in the end trying to compete against parachute clubs might look doing the job with hands behind your back but I was thinking he’d prefer to do min 2 years of his new deal if things go well at ITFC.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

If we don't go up this season..... on 02:33 - Feb 7 with 1083 viewsZapers

If we don't go up this season..... on 17:56 - Feb 6 by franz_tyson

Exactly. How can we talk about ourselves as bigger than Palace. They've been in the PL for 10 years. We haven't been in the PL for over 20 years. We're getting too far ahead of ourselves. It's not who's got more fans.
If Palace stay up with Hodgson they'll look at someone like McKenna as a replacement over the summer and he'd have a far bigger budget to play with and Palace would be a decent stepping stone to the big clubs. If we don't get promoted McKenna might have to start again with us in rebuilding our side which could take time and getting out of the Championship is a lottery. A job offer in the PL woukd surely be too much of a tempter for him. Hes hot now.... so the smart move would be to take advantage of that. You don't stay hot property as a manager forever.

We are talking potential, Ipswich have the potential to be a bigger club than Palace.

By your logic, because Luton are in the premiership, albeit only this season, that makes Luton a bigger club.

You are totally wrong about fan base not being important. Football like any business is built on revenue income. The potential of income for Ipswich would appear to be greater than Palace.

Now for sure at the moment, Palace have more value in their players than Ipswich. No one can dispute that. However that doesn't make Palace a bigger club. It must be about potential.

That's how i would view it, but it depends on how McKenna views it.
If we don't go up this season..... on 06:39 - Feb 7 with 1022 viewsfranz_tyson

If we don't go up this season..... on 02:33 - Feb 7 by Zapers

We are talking potential, Ipswich have the potential to be a bigger club than Palace.

By your logic, because Luton are in the premiership, albeit only this season, that makes Luton a bigger club.

You are totally wrong about fan base not being important. Football like any business is built on revenue income. The potential of income for Ipswich would appear to be greater than Palace.

Now for sure at the moment, Palace have more value in their players than Ipswich. No one can dispute that. However that doesn't make Palace a bigger club. It must be about potential.

That's how i would view it, but it depends on how McKenna views it.

Never mentioned size of fan base wasn't important.... but it's not everything. Sheff Wed and Sunderland have a bigger fan base than us.... your logic means that Mckenna might want to swap us for them Don't think so.
If Mckenna has a lot of ambition.... would he stick with us for several seasons through transitional periods of ups and downs and two steps forwards and one step backwards when he could get a job offer straight into the PL where his salary could be doubled, tripled, whatever and he gets to work with PL players. If he improves a lower PL team and takes them into the top half its a stepping stone to a bigger job. Mck might just look at us and think he can't take the team any further. We are doing fantastic and over-achieving with the squad we've got... but I think it will be harder next season to replicate what we've done ( unless we really ace it in the transfer market). It'd be great if Mckenna sticks with us as part of a long-term project, but management is volatile and he might need to make a decision whilst he's stillhot property.
If we don't go up this season..... on 07:22 - Feb 7 with 997 viewsSimonds92

Personally think there is a lot of naivety regarding this situation. McKenna has his pathway lined up, if we take off our blue tinted glasses he's going to earn more going to the prem but he's also progressing his career. I think he'll go to a stable established club. There's potentially Brighton, Palace, West Ham who may be looking for managers in the summer. He'll have a higher level of player to work with and more money. We've seen how tight we are with ffp and it will likely be a struggle for us to bring in top talent in the summer to progress us.
If we don't go up this season..... on 07:25 - Feb 7 with 987 viewsbobbyramsey

If we don't go up this season..... on 07:22 - Feb 7 by Simonds92

Personally think there is a lot of naivety regarding this situation. McKenna has his pathway lined up, if we take off our blue tinted glasses he's going to earn more going to the prem but he's also progressing his career. I think he'll go to a stable established club. There's potentially Brighton, Palace, West Ham who may be looking for managers in the summer. He'll have a higher level of player to work with and more money. We've seen how tight we are with ffp and it will likely be a struggle for us to bring in top talent in the summer to progress us.

When was the last time that a PL club took a punt on a Championship manager?
If we don't go up this season..... on 08:11 - Feb 7 with 947 viewscressi

If we don't go up this season..... on 16:05 - Feb 6 by EastboundSplinter

I don’t think we stand a chance of keeping him if we don’t go up. And I don’t think we could really complain. He’s been a fantastic servant and deserves to continue along his path to the big leagues.

Servant hang on we gave McKenna his big break and his grabbed it who had even heard of him to be honest. In league one he had the biggest budget and done a good job in getting us promoted but let's not forget without game changer and Ashton, O'Leary we me may well not have achieved.
This season we have done better than anybody thought but since December results have not been great don't matter on the opponent it is now up to McKenna with the new signings starting Sat to try and get back on track.
At WBA away we was schooled we will see if McKenna learned anything by that game because he didn't v Leeds and football is about learning. When the day comes we have to trust Ashton to do what he does and pick well for the club.
If we don't go up this season..... on 08:16 - Feb 7 with 935 viewscressi

If we don't go up this season..... on 21:14 - Feb 6 by blueislander

Hladky is 33 the money received would not change anything hopefully he will extend contract more likely to sell Walton as younger and not getting a game bring another keeper got with his feet.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024