Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong 11:05 - Dec 27 with 11408 viewsunstableblue

Here’s my thoughts:

1) Having just watched the 9min+ highlights, it was an even more exciting game and an even better Town performance than I remembered. I think I got caught up in some negative thoughts as their team were of such high quality and they were ripping us on their left with abandon early stages. But that second half especially we played some excellent stuff, numerous players went up a gear from the first half - Davis and Clarke come to mind

2) Leicester were very good at times and in passages of play. They have numerous players who for me could play in a top 8 Premier side. It shows the level we need to aspire to - and our attacking options for one, compared to theirs are so much weaker. But McKenna ball and our culture gives us such a difference engine. We just need more quality. Mavididi, Ndidi, and Dewsbury-Hall have such technical ability but also such pace and strength. I thought Faes was outstanding - but I thought he needed to be as Burns was giving him one hell of a game.

3) The atmosphere has been discussed already. It was poor first half, but I think that reflected nerves at how good Leicester were playing at times. Interesting to note someone saying ‘that’s how town fans are’… well around me at the Norwich EVERYONE was going mental, and in that second half last night the same thing briefly happened as Town Turned the screw and the energy was flowing. I did note Chaplin cupping his ear on numerous occasions and trying to fire up the North Stand - for me he was stating “we’re doing it on the pitch here, now back us” - and the Lower North did fire up. But the North Stand is a problem this season.

4) Mavididi and the left side were a problem for the first half and start of the second. Clarke pulls into a back 3, to release Davis on the other side. Leaving the Leicester winger acres and Burns was staying high, to be fair quite effectively. The goal is unstoppable though, I don’t think Hladky was at fault. There are few players in the league who can score that. But crucially Clarke improved and teamed better with Wolfenden. And for me Clarke is improving week in week out. Stick with him. He was excellent like Wolfenden in bringing the ball out. Wolfenden was superb last night.

5) Attacking quality is an issue, we had a hell of a lot of dangerous moments around their box last night. Ridiculous number of shots. But we are just a short in depth and quality. I actually think Jackson caused them a lot of problems, but can’t see him hitting the back of the net. Hirst loss is a blow as he frees Chaplin and supplies him. Hutchison did some great stuff. Ladapo had moments. Broadhead was both brilliant and frustratingly error strewn. We need January business - but I still think we can get goals in the must win game on Friday. Can we play Broadhead and Harness?? Is there a role for Ladapo.

6) Belief in ourselves last night was pivotal - we went into our shell, started playing the simpler easier ball, when Leicester dominated. But we got our belief back - Harness for one was beating players, Taylor too. I thought those two showed that whilst they don’t have £30m price tags they can cut it. If we’d lost and got outplayed like at Elland Road in the second half, I think would have really knocked the season. But McKenna is a genius and he sets the culture we need. This could be a pivotal game in the season. Need to now get three points against QPR and get the ground rocking again.

COYB. What a season. What a manager. What a team. Best season since the Burley years by far.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2023 11:10]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 17:16 - Dec 28 with 1006 viewsorfordbuoy

It's a shame what they have done to your superb post Unstable.
You just don't see this policing/squabling on other forums.

Uppa Towen!
Burns and Clarke have something on 17:31 - Dec 28 with 940 viewsChurchman

Burns and Clarke have something on 11:22 - Dec 28 by unstableblue

Agree about Burns, and it’s not just the positioning, it’s his strength. He was in beast mode against Southampton at St Mary’s - winning the duels, really physical.

We saw against West Brom, Watford and Leicester that these parachute sides have real physicality, and whilst we’ve held our own apart from West Brom, Burns and Clarke in our team stand out as having that physical presence, able to force opposition players off the ball or shield the ball.

You are right, he is strong. With the ball he has that David Lowe style stoop and is hard to shift without fouling him. He has plenty of energy to go with it and you can see in opponents faces they’d rather he wasn’t there.

Is he the best finisher in the world? No, but I’ve seen a lot worse. He’s scored some cracking goals for us in his time here. He’s a good player with a terrific character and attitude.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2023 17:31]
6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 17:34 - Dec 28 with 935 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 16:48 - Dec 28 by FrimleyBlue

Then relax. Chill out. Don't get so worked up.

In what world is someone laughing but not relaxed, not chilled and is worked up?

Deflection for the 3rd or 4th time. Keep it coming, keep swerving, keep embarrassing yourself.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2023 17:35]

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 17:39 - Dec 28 with 891 viewsFrimleyBlue

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 17:34 - Dec 28 by The_Flashing_Smile

In what world is someone laughing but not relaxed, not chilled and is worked up?

Deflection for the 3rd or 4th time. Keep it coming, keep swerving, keep embarrassing yourself.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2023 17:35]

You get quite angry with your responses flash.

Also , mince pies. How!

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Burns and Clarke have something on 17:40 - Dec 28 with 889 viewsFrimleyBlue

Burns and Clarke have something on 17:31 - Dec 28 by Churchman

You are right, he is strong. With the ball he has that David Lowe style stoop and is hard to shift without fouling him. He has plenty of energy to go with it and you can see in opponents faces they’d rather he wasn’t there.

Is he the best finisher in the world? No, but I’ve seen a lot worse. He’s scored some cracking goals for us in his time here. He’s a good player with a terrific character and attitude.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2023 17:31]

For me he's the absolute ideal back up. But someone you can trust to cover when needed. Never get rid, just need a better version.

Waka waka eh eh

Burns and Clarke have something on 18:00 - Dec 28 with 885 viewsChurchman

Burns and Clarke have something on 17:40 - Dec 28 by FrimleyBlue

For me he's the absolute ideal back up. But someone you can trust to cover when needed. Never get rid, just need a better version.

He more than deserves his place in the team and is integral to how we play. We look a poorer side without him.
Burns and Clarke have something on 18:06 - Dec 28 with 863 viewsHerbivore

Burns and Clarke have something on 18:00 - Dec 28 by Churchman

He more than deserves his place in the team and is integral to how we play. We look a poorer side without him.

Yep, we were noticeably less effective as a team when he missed those games with his shoulder injury.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 18:21 - Dec 28 with 840 viewsSwailsey

Frimley is ruining this message board. I really cannot fathom why such an obvious troll is allowed to continue posting.

Can someone have a word? There’s enough tension and stress in the world - he is making this little escape corner a nightmare.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Login to get fewer ads

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 18:59 - Dec 28 with 779 viewsStokieBlue

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 17:02 - Dec 28 by FrimleyBlue

Don't open and read it then.

Out of interest, how is one supposed to determine the content of a thread, good or bad, without opening it?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 19:02 - Dec 28 with 777 viewsPhilTWTD

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 17:02 - Dec 28 by FrimleyBlue

Don't open and read it then.

Not sure there was a need for any of this, has just made the thread tedious. If you could avoid taking other threads in a similar direction it would be appreciated.
6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 19:05 - Dec 28 with 767 viewsChurchman

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 18:59 - Dec 28 by StokieBlue

Out of interest, how is one supposed to determine the content of a thread, good or bad, without opening it?

SB

Indeed. If you do plonk somebody on ignore, the whole thread can become unreadable.
6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 19:07 - Dec 28 with 733 viewsFrimleyBlue

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 19:02 - Dec 28 by PhilTWTD

Not sure there was a need for any of this, has just made the thread tedious. If you could avoid taking other threads in a similar direction it would be appreciated.

Never a problem Phil unless the same posters do their usual pile on.

Waka waka eh eh

Thanks OB… sadly it wasn’t just this post! on 19:10 - Dec 28 with 749 viewsunstableblue

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 17:16 - Dec 28 by orfordbuoy

It's a shame what they have done to your superb post Unstable.
You just don't see this policing/squabling on other forums.

Uppa Towen!

Thought the below post was one for us to get around, and took a bit of time to map the move! And yet it turns into another negative squabble:

The 66mins Portman Road ROAR - reward for brilliant play from Town by unstableblue 27 Dec 2023 23:41
There was a sequence of Town play on 66mins which was breath taking - technical, powerful and intricate - and a moment when players on much lower wages and low transfer fees, outshone their wealthy opposition.

Let me relive it for you:

1. Clarke throw to Hladky at right corner post in front of Leicester fans
2. Hladky to Wolf
3. Wolf to Clark
4. Clark to Morsy
5. We've edge of our own box on right now
6. Morsy back to Wolf in area
7. Wolf sweeps across penalty area to Burgess
Burgess really pressed by the brilliant Dewsbury Hall
8. Last minute pass though to David on left touchline
9. David infield to Taylor ahead of our box
10. Taylor drives forward under pressure to halfway line, fending off his man - brilliant
11. lips to Harness on left touchline
He dinks to go further wide, rather than in-field, takes out two of their players
12. Checks back to Davis
13. Brilliant driven ball into Taylor, who shoots but hits defender and loops into air at the D
14. Clarke comes in really hard but wins it fairly mid air against Winks
PORTMAN ROAD ERUPTS - THE ROAR
15. Burgess picks it up deeper, gives to Morsy
16. He runs forward, jinking, finds Clark right side midway up Leicester half
Lovely shoulder drop gives him times from his press
17. Passes to Burns right wing
18. Excellent dangerous cross.. Leicester scramble to clear.. just needed THAT striker

PHEW!!!

Its only when you type it out (like a statto weirdo), you just begin to truly marvel at the just pure pleasure we are being given this season

This is against assembled for MILLIONS and MILLIONS and breaking all Championship records. We more than matched them.

Now back to the ROAR. Just incredible noise and passion. Showing that the players seem to need to go that extra mile to fire us up!
Lets give it to them without that inspiration shall we? so we inspire them! on the odd occasion that is. And of course not wanting to tell you how to support (wibble).

These Are The Days (don't change it again Phil we know what happened last time?!) - celebrate every moment people.

Sighs!

Totally agree - there is far too much belligerence in the world, why bring it… on 19:21 - Dec 28 with 733 viewsunstableblue

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 18:21 - Dec 28 by Swailsey

Frimley is ruining this message board. I really cannot fathom why such an obvious troll is allowed to continue posting.

Can someone have a word? There’s enough tension and stress in the world - he is making this little escape corner a nightmare.

… to a place where we actually all want and support the same thing?! Weird

And to be honest Frimmers is the obvious troll, but there’s quite a large set of ‘sub-trolls’

They just seem to enjoy abusing other posters and carrying niggly little grudges.

Don’t get me wrong some friendly bants and twitting is amusing. But there’s a line.

Note: I must apologise to Mullet as some years ago I was a bit infantile in relation to his support for Mick - sort of through idiotic missives like he had a ‘Mick shrine, surrounded by joss sticks and fruit offerings’… sorry Mullet

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 19:25 - Dec 28 with 721 viewsPhilTWTD

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 18:21 - Dec 28 by Swailsey

A word has been had.
Thanks OB… sadly it wasn’t just this post! on 19:26 - Dec 28 with 716 viewsorfordbuoy

Thanks OB… sadly it wasn’t just this post! on 19:10 - Dec 28 by unstableblue

Thought the below post was one for us to get around, and took a bit of time to map the move! And yet it turns into another negative squabble:

The 66mins Portman Road ROAR - reward for brilliant play from Town by unstableblue 27 Dec 2023 23:41
There was a sequence of Town play on 66mins which was breath taking - technical, powerful and intricate - and a moment when players on much lower wages and low transfer fees, outshone their wealthy opposition.

Let me relive it for you:

1. Clarke throw to Hladky at right corner post in front of Leicester fans
2. Hladky to Wolf
3. Wolf to Clark
4. Clark to Morsy
5. We've edge of our own box on right now
6. Morsy back to Wolf in area
7. Wolf sweeps across penalty area to Burgess
Burgess really pressed by the brilliant Dewsbury Hall
8. Last minute pass though to David on left touchline
9. David infield to Taylor ahead of our box
10. Taylor drives forward under pressure to halfway line, fending off his man - brilliant
11. lips to Harness on left touchline
He dinks to go further wide, rather than in-field, takes out two of their players
12. Checks back to Davis
13. Brilliant driven ball into Taylor, who shoots but hits defender and loops into air at the D
14. Clarke comes in really hard but wins it fairly mid air against Winks
PORTMAN ROAD ERUPTS - THE ROAR
15. Burgess picks it up deeper, gives to Morsy
16. He runs forward, jinking, finds Clark right side midway up Leicester half
Lovely shoulder drop gives him times from his press
17. Passes to Burns right wing
18. Excellent dangerous cross.. Leicester scramble to clear.. just needed THAT striker

PHEW!!!

Its only when you type it out (like a statto weirdo), you just begin to truly marvel at the just pure pleasure we are being given this season

This is against assembled for MILLIONS and MILLIONS and breaking all Championship records. We more than matched them.

Now back to the ROAR. Just incredible noise and passion. Showing that the players seem to need to go that extra mile to fire us up!
Lets give it to them without that inspiration shall we? so we inspire them! on the odd occasion that is. And of course not wanting to tell you how to support (wibble).

These Are The Days (don't change it again Phil we know what happened last time?!) - celebrate every moment people.

Sighs!

I think several posters use this site to simply 'offload'.

Regarding attacking formations, I was thinking as nobody in-house can match thr mercurial Hirst give Hutchinson a free role to play between lines, overload on the flanks and join up with Chappers in the middle. But - what do I know?

Keep up the good work mate. It's much appreciated.
6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 19:40 - Dec 28 with 658 viewsKropotkin123

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 19:05 - Dec 28 by Churchman

Indeed. If you do plonk somebody on ignore, the whole thread can become unreadable.

Yeah, I just put them on ignore and it is a struggle

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 19:51 - Dec 28 with 634 viewsPJH

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 19:25 - Dec 28 by PhilTWTD

A word has been had.

I wish it had been two words.

Sorry Phil, but only that would make the forum enjoyable for me again.
6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 20:01 - Dec 28 with 603 viewsSwailsey

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 19:51 - Dec 28 by PJH

“Hi Swailsey”?

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 21:50 - Dec 28 with 527 viewsmr_bean

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 12:46 - Dec 27 by FrimleyBlue

not your fault, sometimes running is fun.

You're running towards absurdity.
6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 21:59 - Dec 28 with 517 viewsblueasfook

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 19:51 - Dec 28 by PJH

Blub. That's the message board equivalent of waving an imaginary card at the ref.

Send him off ref!

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024