Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong 11:05 - Dec 27 with 11404 viewsunstableblue

Here’s my thoughts:

1) Having just watched the 9min+ highlights, it was an even more exciting game and an even better Town performance than I remembered. I think I got caught up in some negative thoughts as their team were of such high quality and they were ripping us on their left with abandon early stages. But that second half especially we played some excellent stuff, numerous players went up a gear from the first half - Davis and Clarke come to mind

2) Leicester were very good at times and in passages of play. They have numerous players who for me could play in a top 8 Premier side. It shows the level we need to aspire to - and our attacking options for one, compared to theirs are so much weaker. But McKenna ball and our culture gives us such a difference engine. We just need more quality. Mavididi, Ndidi, and Dewsbury-Hall have such technical ability but also such pace and strength. I thought Faes was outstanding - but I thought he needed to be as Burns was giving him one hell of a game.

3) The atmosphere has been discussed already. It was poor first half, but I think that reflected nerves at how good Leicester were playing at times. Interesting to note someone saying ‘that’s how town fans are’… well around me at the Norwich EVERYONE was going mental, and in that second half last night the same thing briefly happened as Town Turned the screw and the energy was flowing. I did note Chaplin cupping his ear on numerous occasions and trying to fire up the North Stand - for me he was stating “we’re doing it on the pitch here, now back us” - and the Lower North did fire up. But the North Stand is a problem this season.

4) Mavididi and the left side were a problem for the first half and start of the second. Clarke pulls into a back 3, to release Davis on the other side. Leaving the Leicester winger acres and Burns was staying high, to be fair quite effectively. The goal is unstoppable though, I don’t think Hladky was at fault. There are few players in the league who can score that. But crucially Clarke improved and teamed better with Wolfenden. And for me Clarke is improving week in week out. Stick with him. He was excellent like Wolfenden in bringing the ball out. Wolfenden was superb last night.

5) Attacking quality is an issue, we had a hell of a lot of dangerous moments around their box last night. Ridiculous number of shots. But we are just a short in depth and quality. I actually think Jackson caused them a lot of problems, but can’t see him hitting the back of the net. Hirst loss is a blow as he frees Chaplin and supplies him. Hutchison did some great stuff. Ladapo had moments. Broadhead was both brilliant and frustratingly error strewn. We need January business - but I still think we can get goals in the must win game on Friday. Can we play Broadhead and Harness?? Is there a role for Ladapo.

6) Belief in ourselves last night was pivotal - we went into our shell, started playing the simpler easier ball, when Leicester dominated. But we got our belief back - Harness for one was beating players, Taylor too. I thought those two showed that whilst they don’t have £30m price tags they can cut it. If we’d lost and got outplayed like at Elland Road in the second half, I think would have really knocked the season. But McKenna is a genius and he sets the culture we need. This could be a pivotal game in the season. Need to now get three points against QPR and get the ground rocking again.

COYB. What a season. What a manager. What a team. Best season since the Burley years by far.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2023 11:10]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 12:46 - Dec 27 with 1415 viewsFrimleyBlue

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 12:41 - Dec 27 by Herbivore

Clueless.

not your fault, sometimes running is fun.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 12:50 - Dec 27 with 1405 viewsbluelagos

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 12:41 - Dec 27 by Herbivore

Clueless.

Nah, a 5 year old kid learning about footie is clueless. Frimmer's is an adult who watches the game and comes to opinions having considered what he's seen having had years to learn all about the game.

Embarrassing drivel that and I think am just going to stick to the general section. Shame as there are some informed opinions on the footie section, but the entitlement of some posters drives their opinions and is at times painful to read.

Hopefully the players involved know that the vast majority of fans recognise how well they are going. 5 points clear in a promotion race and a handful of fans are unhappy...

Fck knows how they survived footie in the dark years. Short memories...

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 12:53 - Dec 27 with 1388 viewsBuhrer

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 12:46 - Dec 27 by FrimleyBlue

not your fault, sometimes running is fun.

You're right. For example we'd all be happier if you'd just run along now.
6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 12:53 - Dec 27 with 1386 viewsFrimleyBlue

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 12:50 - Dec 27 by bluelagos

Nah, a 5 year old kid learning about footie is clueless. Frimmer's is an adult who watches the game and comes to opinions having considered what he's seen having had years to learn all about the game.

Embarrassing drivel that and I think am just going to stick to the general section. Shame as there are some informed opinions on the footie section, but the entitlement of some posters drives their opinions and is at times painful to read.

Hopefully the players involved know that the vast majority of fans recognise how well they are going. 5 points clear in a promotion race and a handful of fans are unhappy...

Fck knows how they survived footie in the dark years. Short memories...

Not sure where anyone has said they aren't happy with being 2nd 5 points clear, but good rant none the less.

Waka waka eh eh

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 12:53 - Dec 27 with 1364 viewsFrimleyBlue

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 12:53 - Dec 27 by Buhrer

You're right. For example we'd all be happier if you'd just run along now.

Oooo good one.

Waka waka eh eh

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 12:58 - Dec 27 with 1327 viewsBuhrer

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 12:53 - Dec 27 by FrimleyBlue

Oooo good one.

Like shooting frim in a barrel buh.

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 13:13 - Dec 27 with 1284 viewsNthQldITFC

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 11:39 - Dec 27 by carlo88

Good summary that. I too was well impressed with Woolfenden, looked very composed. Best feature of the whole match was us playing out from the back despite enormous pressure from Leicester, and producing dangerous attacks from it. I don't think they're used to that.

Woolfenden was excellent, particularly first half actually, in the way he stepped into midfield with the ball when Leicester had Clarke, Davis, Burgess, Morsy and Taylor ALL closed down, Woolfy was able to step into tight places under close control and break their press all on his own. That's the reason he's so good, that and his reading of the game and the extra yard he gets himself with his excellent positioning. A quiet 9/10 performance for me, the sort of performance that doesn't always get recognised shall we say.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 13:17 - Dec 27 with 1263 viewsFrimleyBlue

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 13:13 - Dec 27 by NthQldITFC

Woolfenden was excellent, particularly first half actually, in the way he stepped into midfield with the ball when Leicester had Clarke, Davis, Burgess, Morsy and Taylor ALL closed down, Woolfy was able to step into tight places under close control and break their press all on his own. That's the reason he's so good, that and his reading of the game and the extra yard he gets himself with his excellent positioning. A quiet 9/10 performance for me, the sort of performance that doesn't always get recognised shall we say.

For me Wolfy showed we need to stick with him and not rotate with Tuenzebe. He was calm, solid but also he just gets how to play with the backline when we're playing from the back, it makes Hladkys job and Burgess's job easier. I know Axel hasn't played much and overtime he'll get that understanding, but for me, Wolfy is first name on teamsheet.

Waka waka eh eh

Login to get fewer ads

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 13:21 - Dec 27 with 1254 viewsNthQldITFC

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 12:28 - Dec 27 by FrimleyBlue

Who said Boring? I said painful.

So many opportunities to do more with the ball, but didn't.

If you're happy watching a player run, then fine, be happy. But I like to see something happen with the ball, and turning into players, or finding the first defender, isn't on my list of what's exciting from a player.

I find it fascinating that Jacksons hounded, yet Burns didn't do anything different but apparently gave them a hell of a game. Just find it all odd. People say me not rating a player is an obsession, well imo there's an unhealthy obsession with glorifying a player just because he runs a bit. Same with Harness tbh, he didn't actually do anything of note with the ball last night, he pressed well, had a great engine, but as an attacking outlet, he didn't actually do anything with the ball, esp when we had jackson infront of him with spaces to be played in.. yet Harness has been sounded out as having an amazing game.
I just find it interesting what posters class as brilliance tbh.

Harness was quite creative actually, more so than usual, in his balls round the corner and taking defenders on. Burns is a constant threat to the opposition, and as well as his pace has great strength on the ball and surprising power in the air too, as well as strength in the tackle which often leaves opponents on their arses.

I truly admire your more or less ever-present politeness with posters who deride your point of view on Burns, but I have to say that I do agree with them. I think you've turned a few minor negatives about a certain player (almost all players have a few negatives) into a rather tedious crusade for some reason.

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 13:30 - Dec 27 with 1230 viewsFrimleyBlue

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 13:21 - Dec 27 by NthQldITFC

Harness was quite creative actually, more so than usual, in his balls round the corner and taking defenders on. Burns is a constant threat to the opposition, and as well as his pace has great strength on the ball and surprising power in the air too, as well as strength in the tackle which often leaves opponents on their arses.

I truly admire your more or less ever-present politeness with posters who deride your point of view on Burns, but I have to say that I do agree with them. I think you've turned a few minor negatives about a certain player (almost all players have a few negatives) into a rather tedious crusade for some reason.

It's no crusade, it just bugs me when I see certain things like in the OP, where he describes his performance as he has. I just don't agree with it and stated why. I have also commented on other individuals.

Im all for support and I get it when you're at the game, but it just suprises me that people are happy to state that Broadhead is patchy, or Jackson isn't good enough etc, but Burns seen as a shining light regardless of how poor is output has been this season.

Burns will be a threat, but who ever we play on that side will be a threat because of the way we play, it was no different when Hutchinson or even Jackson play on that side. Burns does however provide a better defensive unit which imo is more the reason we see him lining up rather than what he offers going forwards.

I do still think we will improve on Burns in January, but he will be an excellent back up.

Waka waka eh eh

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 13:40 - Dec 27 with 1192 viewscbower

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 11:13 - Dec 27 by FrimleyBlue

"but I thought he needed to be as Burns was giving him one hell of a game."

I'm absolutely baffled by this forum sometimes.

Loads of posts about Jacksons lack of ability
People moaning about Clarke covering for a midfielder who wasn't tracking a player
Yet Leicester fullback given a hell of a game by Burns - how the feck was he exactly? Burns ran into him about 5 times. I believe you once said Broadhead was patchy, which I agreed with and at present he still is. But can't believe the continued gushing over another attacking player who did absolutely nothing of note last night. He had an option to put it on a plate for jackson, found the first defender instead

I'm literally gonna leave it there with Burns after last nights game as it's just gonna bore people again, but I genuinly believe the constant love for Burns is soley based on what he did in league 1 as he's painful to watch in this league.

His goal against Hull, his equaliser against Norwich and his viral goal against Coventry. All painful to watch. His workrate is great and whilst his crossing is not always on point (I'll give you that much) every game, last night too, he puts in some great deliveries that just need someone to gamble a bit more to score. He is one of the first names Mr McKenna turns to almost every game. The boss rates him as do 99% of fans, me included.

bluescouser

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 13:45 - Dec 27 with 1177 viewsNthQldITFC

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 13:17 - Dec 27 by FrimleyBlue

For me Wolfy showed we need to stick with him and not rotate with Tuenzebe. He was calm, solid but also he just gets how to play with the backline when we're playing from the back, it makes Hladkys job and Burgess's job easier. I know Axel hasn't played much and overtime he'll get that understanding, but for me, Wolfy is first name on teamsheet.

Tuanzebe is a more powerful and faster player for certain games perhaps, but I'd agree that Woolfy is 'first choice' if there's such a thing these days.

I suspect that KMc trusts Woolfy to perform in and out of the team and is using the opportunity to get Tuanzebe some match time on his favoured side before Burgess goes away.

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 13:46 - Dec 27 with 1176 viewsReusersTown

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 11:20 - Dec 27 by SitfcB

Burns done him numerous times in the first half, getting good balls into the box, not his fault no one couldn’t get on the end of them.

Bit quieter in the second half I thought but still didn’t really do anything wrong, probably a 7/10 overall performance.

Burns was fine, nothing spectacular but did a good job as you would expect. He definitely didn't do Faes though, didn't happen once which was a bit disappointing considering he's a centre back.
6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 13:57 - Dec 27 with 1142 viewsArnieM

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 11:13 - Dec 27 by FrimleyBlue

People moaning about Clarke covering for a midfielder who wasn't tracking a player
Yet Leicester fullback given a hell of a game by Burns - how the feck was he exactly? Burns ran into him about 5 times. I believe you once said Broadhead was patchy, which I agreed with and at present he still is. But can't believe the continued gushing over another attacking player who did absolutely nothing of note last night. He had an option to put it on a plate for jackson, found the first defender instead

I'm literally gonna leave it there with Burns after last nights game as it's just gonna bore people again, but I genuinly believe the constant love for Burns is soley based on what he did in league 1 as he's painful to watch in this league.

Burns tracking back was abysmal and not fit the first time I’ve watched him jogging back towards our box , watching Clarke deal with the opposition winger bearing down on him. Give him the ball to run onto and he’ll probably create a decent cross. Give him ball on a standing 1:1 situation , forget it.

There’s a distinct lack of communication or understanding as a defensive unit down that right side. The goals have been coming down that side ALL season. Do somethings not right or working is it!

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 13:58 - Dec 27 with 1144 viewsBigCommon

Thought Harness was really good last night. And Jack Taylor is showing more and more improvement. Evident by KM trusting Taylor to start in probably our biggest game of the season, so far. Thought he did well and I'm starting to trust him more, Fare play to the lad. He's had to be patient..
We did lack a bit of a threat in their area. But Leicester are so good defensively, bar far the best defensive record in the division...
But my favorite take of all from last night, is that we are still yet , to lose, back to back league games under McKenna. That is a phenomenal stat.

It was always on the cards for us to feel a bit bruised during the month of December, given our grueling fixture schedule and opponents.
But to still have a 5pt buffer to 3rd place, really is something to be pleased about, imo.
If we beat QPR, we would have , we would have taken 14pts from 7 games in the month of December, thats 2ppg..
What's not to like.?
(No subject) (n/t) on 14:04 - Dec 27 with 1117 viewsFrimleyBlue

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 13:57 - Dec 27 by ArnieM

Burns tracking back was abysmal and not fit the first time I’ve watched him jogging back towards our box , watching Clarke deal with the opposition winger bearing down on him. Give him the ball to run onto and he’ll probably create a decent cross. Give him ball on a standing 1:1 situation , forget it.

There’s a distinct lack of communication or understanding as a defensive unit down that right side. The goals have been coming down that side ALL season. Do somethings not right or working is it!

I dont think that's on Burns tbh, he's playing high to be the outlet. He's not the best at getting past players 1-1 so if he drops deeper, we've next to no chance on getting him high up the pitch again. He is good at defending though so when he is back, it's a big help.

I think the goal we conceded obviously came from Burgess getting spun, Morsy didn't cover the 25 and the rest is history, Morsy has to get close to him, let Wolfy cover off the player with the ball, which then allows clarke to cover the winger

But no I don't think the tracking of Burns was an issue, but i wasn't there so he may have been standing 10 yards away off screen for all i know.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2023 14:14]

Waka waka eh eh

(No subject) (n/t) on 14:34 - Dec 27 with 1068 viewsBigCommon

(No subject) (n/t) on 14:04 - Dec 27 by FrimleyBlue

I dont think that's on Burns tbh, he's playing high to be the outlet. He's not the best at getting past players 1-1 so if he drops deeper, we've next to no chance on getting him high up the pitch again. He is good at defending though so when he is back, it's a big help.

I think the goal we conceded obviously came from Burgess getting spun, Morsy didn't cover the 25 and the rest is history, Morsy has to get close to him, let Wolfy cover off the player with the ball, which then allows clarke to cover the winger

But no I don't think the tracking of Burns was an issue, but i wasn't there so he may have been standing 10 yards away off screen for all i know.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2023 14:14]

I noticed that, too last night.. But I think that works both ways... No one was really up in support of Burns on the right. Clarke most likely told to be more defensively minded. But Wes was quite isolated when he received the ball, with no one running beyond him or underlapping. Quite often they were able to double up on him as a result..
As Joe pointed out on another thread, you do wonder, sometimes, if they are just following orders.. Wes told to stay high as an out ball or to occupy their fb/wb...

Ultimately, though, they flipped us for their goal. Win the ball, quick transition before players are set... It's what we've been doing all season to other teams... I was a bit harsh on Clarke for the Leicester goal.. Having seen it over, he is clearly covering a runner. I think, perhaps from the original Town TV camera angle. It was difficult to see the entire picture.
6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 15:11 - Dec 27 with 1029 viewsunstableblue

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 12:00 - Dec 27 by chicoazul

What did all your Leicester-supporting mates think of us

I see the festive spirit of charitable neighbourly love is strong in you Chico

I actually don’t have any good mates who are Leicester

Forest and Villa yes

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 16:09 - Dec 27 with 955 viewsBlueBadger

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 12:31 - Dec 27 by bluelagos

Think we all know the answer to that. He's not alone, but Frimmer's volume of utter sh1te does make him stand out.

He's not remotely representative of Town fans in the cr*p he posts but that's the problem with social media, it gives pub bores a platform where in real life they get laughed at.

Magnified during match time when many posters are at the match.

Most people, if they've sh@t themselves in public as bad as he did with smarmy-gate would just quietly disappear and surface again having vowed not to be so daft.

Frimmers has opted to base his personality around the fact that he once sh@t himself in public.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2023 17:22]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 16:19 - Dec 27 with 919 viewsBigCommon

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 16:09 - Dec 27 by BlueBadger

Most people, if they've sh@t themselves in public as bad as he did with smarmy-gate would just quietly disappear and surface again having vowed not to be so daft.

Frimmers has opted to base his personality around the fact that he once sh@t himself in public.

He speaks his mind. He's his own person, nothing wrong with that.
People can agree or disagree with him, without the insults. You should try it sometime, if you know how?
6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 16:19 - Dec 27 with 921 viewsKropotkin123

"I'm literally gonna leave it there with Burns after last nights game as it's just gonna bore people again, but I genuinly believe the constant love for Burns is soley based on what he did in league 1 as he's painful to watch in this league."

You've literally been slagging him off for a year. You've literally said you'd drop it before. He literally scored our best goal in this league. I literally don't believe you will drop it.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 16:35 - Dec 27 with 892 viewsMetal_Hacker

Clueless.

Added to ….waste of bandwidth along with Wally

Poll: If it were one or the other

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 16:57 - Dec 27 with 858 viewsBlueBadger

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 16:19 - Dec 27 by BigCommon

He speaks his mind. He's his own person, nothing wrong with that.
People can agree or disagree with him, without the insults. You should try it sometime, if you know how?

Weird. It thought you devil-may-care anti wokists were all for bantz?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 17:22 - Dec 27 with 833 viewsFrimleyBlue

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 16:19 - Dec 27 by Kropotkin123

"I'm literally gonna leave it there with Burns after last nights game as it's just gonna bore people again, but I genuinly believe the constant love for Burns is soley based on what he did in league 1 as he's painful to watch in this league."

You've literally been slagging him off for a year. You've literally said you'd drop it before. He literally scored our best goal in this league. I literally don't believe you will drop it.

I meant I wasn't going to get into another to and throw about him.

Priskin scored a goal v arsenal. Doesn't mean he was the best in the world so no. I'm not just gonna like a player for a certain goal as good as it was.

Waka waka eh eh

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 17:24 - Dec 27 with 827 viewsFrimleyBlue

6 observations from last night - a top of the table ding dong on 16:09 - Dec 27 by BlueBadger

Badge you've got your copy and paste on delay

Missed this one.

Waka waka eh eh

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024